Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

I am going to laugh if EA manages to do their C&C remaster better than blizzard
Everyone is pulling off successful remasters because it has an insane roi and drives fans wild. Most of these remaster teams are tiny and remasters pull in "real new game" level sales. Here's my recipe:
  • Update the graphics to be at least slightly better versions of the original. Don't drastically change the art style.
  • Update the ui a little, at a minimum add keybinds and a toggle between original and remastered graphics
  • Make sure it runs on modern systems at modern resolutions. There's a lot of hidden labor here.
  • If multiplayer, put up a cheap server to handle matchmaking and stats.
  • If you have time then make some positive QoL changes. If they change gameplay in a multiplayer title or change how the game plays then use extreme caution.
  • Your remaster team is small and the zeitgeist of the original title isn't present at your company. Small and conservative is the name of the game. Use people who are very familiar with the original title to function as product manager or at least sniff test every ticket. Whether their familiarity is through working on it themselves 20 years ago, being active in the community, playing it a whole lot, or playing through it just because they're taking on this project.

There is a whole lot more you can do. Anyone doing a remaster should check out SC:BW -> SCR to see what well-scoped success with minimal change looks like and AoE2 -> AoE2:DE to see what obsession & passion & lot of changes that don't alienate the community look like.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Okay yeah those are great ideas and all but other than WC3 which remasters haven't turned out well? Not counting like, low effort upscaling patches or something I think almost every remade game has been positively received

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Disargeria posted:

Okay yeah those are great ideas and all but other than WC3 which remasters haven't turned out well? Not counting like, low effort upscaling patches or something I think almost every remade game has been positively received
All the other remasters I've played have turned out fine. But that's just SC:R and AoE2:DE which were both good remasters. I also thought this was a different thread and don't really want to derail this one.

The real people who lost on WC3R, besides blizzard due to refunds/pr, are wc3 fans. Instead of a new era of WC3 they got whatever this mess is. I hope Blizzard makes it right by eventually "relaunching" after they fix it so people get a chance to play wc3 with a super active community again. Even if they relaunched for free it'd be an amazing pr/good faith effort, but I kinda doubt that'd happen.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 9, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The latest rerelease of Halo 1 still has a lot of legacy issues from bad ports in the past (it's a PC port of an Xbox port of a PC port of an original Xbox game) so there's still no 'true' HD remaster of Halo. And the upgraded art is only debatably better than the originals; sure, it's got more polygons, but it's also a lot more noisy and less visually coherent. I wouldn't call it a WC3R level disaster but it's definitely a perennial slight disappointment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

The latest rerelease of Halo 1 still has a lot of legacy issues from bad ports in the past (it's a PC port of an Xbox port of a PC port of an original Xbox game) so there's still no 'true' HD remaster of Halo. And the upgraded art is only debatably better than the originals; sure, it's got more polygons, but it's also a lot more noisy and less visually coherent. I wouldn't call it a WC3R level disaster but it's definitely a perennial slight disappointment.

Halo 1 is a complex story.

The original game came out in 2001.

The original remaster came out in 2011 on 360. It mostly ran well, and impressively ran the old engine with both old and remastered graphics simultaneously, and you could switch in real-time, although with the 360's RAM there was considerable lag getting memory from disk.

Then that was ported to Xbox One in 2014. That port was included in the Master Chief Collection, which had ports of Halo 1-3. It was outsourced and plagued with issues, and took literal YEARS to patch into a workable state. I think it still has bugs to this day. They had to publicly apologize about its disastrous performance.

That was then ported to PC starting 2019, although with a staggered release. Originally only Halo Reach, and just recently Halo 1. It has less issues than the Xbox One port, but Reach had some bugs.

When you look at how long it was taken to try to fix all the mistakes, I would say the Halo ports collectively have reached a Warcraft 3 level of failure. But taken just on its own, Halo 1 on PC isn't quite as bad as War 3 and mostly works fine.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You missed a step! It was ported to PC in 2003 by Gearbox, and the 2011 remaster was based on that port, inheriting all its quirks (and everything missing from the og Xbox game).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Disargeria posted:

Depends on how broad a scale you're talking here.

WC3 is the only one that actively made the original worse afaik, however.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

jesus christ

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Chrono Trigger one is just as bad. Square's mobile remakes of their old RPGs are an atrocity.

Okay they're not as bad as WC3's since they didn't retroactively ruin the original games, but y'know. :v:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

One of the dumbest design decisions in MCC is that you cannot display your mission time and kill score stats simultaneously in-game. In fact, the UI for replaying missions is atrocious, even after the supposed redesign. It also does a very poor job of tracking medals and such.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ugh they look like avatars of players in a f2p browser mmo

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Asimo posted:

The Chrono Trigger one is just as bad. Square's mobile remakes of their old RPGs are an atrocity.

Okay they're not as bad as WC3's since they didn't retroactively ruin the original games, but y'know. :v:

That's the thing that will probably never dethrone Blizzard on this, because no matter how lovely your quick cash-grab port/remaster/remake was, at least it didn't invalidate the original's that people already had.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Amnomia posted:

video game 3 remade is bad lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Asimo posted:

They ported Chrono to PC, got tons of flak and spent a few months unfucking it into a pretty reasonable state. Did that never get ported back to the mobile version?!

I think they gave FF3 a similar treatment recently, but they ported it back to the mobile version as well.

Disargeria posted:

The Silent Hill HD Collection was a loving mess with scores of visual bugs (at least partially due to having to work with an unfinished non-final version of the original source code) and a full redub that I think was to avoid paying the original voice cast.

Remaster on the left:

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

thinkin about investing the money I would have spent purchasing wc3 on aoe2 instead

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Kins posted:

I think they gave FF3 a similar treatment recently, but they ported it back to the mobile version as well.

Yeah, they pushed a patch about a month ago and I was confused as hell because that port is like half a decade old at this point so I have no idea what prompted it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, they pushed a patch about a month ago and I was confused as hell because that port is like half a decade old at this point so I have no idea what prompted it.

That patch was 12 days ago, 27th or 28th, they did a good job with it...

Edit: Oof an 8MB pic, let me fix that...

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 11, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Amnomia posted:

thinkin about investing the money I would have spent purchasing wc3 on aoe2 instead

I used my refund to get Age of Wonders: Planetfalland it's been really scratching that itch. Multiple hero builds, different races with different playstyles, balancing "creeping" and harassment. It's turn based which is great because I found coming back to War3 that my APM is poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Amnomia posted:

do it aoe 2 definitive is great

there's so many factions and campaigns now its bonkers

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Is there a decent remaster or remake of Masters of Magic anywhere?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Fooma posted:

Is there a decent remaster or remake of Masters of Magic anywhere?

A week or two back MoM got a big community patch turned DLC expansion on GOG. https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This was so tragic

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

A week or two back MoM got a big community patch turned DLC expansion on GOG. https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic

What the...? Wow, I haven’t played this game in forever and interesting that there is a community doing this that didn’t get shut down for charging for it.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
It's been posted already but is so apropos I feel it should be reposted every 4 pages.

Reforged in a nutshell.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That face is haunting my YT suggested list already.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Months in, still no ladder lol

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I loled more and more as I read the patch notes. It looks like they spent all the time between launch and now fixing unit portrait bugs

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Good news! We're basically back to abandoned WC3 days, and the guy who made the W3Arena 3rd party ladder has just gone and made his own ladder with stat tracking and (apparently) better regional matchmaking that ties into the Reforged versus screen. http://w3champions.com/

Haven't played with it too much yet, it's only just been launched but Grubby is using it on his stream today apparently, so hopefully the user base expands pretty quickly.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dear Clan TOWA,

thank you for giving me something to watch while i lay in bed completely incapacitated by covid

edit: watching turnabout oasis in glorious matavision made me think of a fun question

if you could have a level 10 hero just given to you at the start of the match, which would you prefer

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 21, 2020

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

completely depends on the situation. bloodmage for perches, archmage for being all over the map constantly, tc/mk for having to fight their heroes

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

alchemist baby. that would annoying as hell to play against

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Kith posted:

Dear Clan TOWA,

thank you for giving me something to watch while i lay in bed completely incapacitated by covid

edit: watching turnabout oasis in glorious matavision made me think of a fun question

if you could have a level 10 hero just given to you at the start of the match, which would you prefer

bone clinkz

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Dreadlord to sleep their hero, drop an infernal and carrion swarm their workers and units they'd send to wake up their hero.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Good news! We're basically back to abandoned WC3 days, and the guy who made the W3Arena 3rd party ladder has just gone and made his own ladder with stat tracking and (apparently) better regional matchmaking that ties into the Reforged versus screen. http://w3champions.com/

Haven't played with it too much yet, it's only just been launched but Grubby is using it on his stream today apparently, so hopefully the user base expands pretty quickly.

If there is anyone still trying to play serious 1v1 and haven't tried out the W3 champions ladder I would definitely recommend it. The people responsible are constantly improving it and fixing the relatively small issues it had to start. PS. it took the dude 3 days to put together a ladder that works better than classic WC3 even with the fuckedup-ness of reforged. Blizzard is loving hopeless.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I'm pretty sure the moment that Blizzard opened up refunds to everyone the game became abandonware.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

two games...one map...two great games

hero hunting vs. some depraved tav-ressing item addicts: replay | VOD

a heroic last stand, but is it enough? replay | VOD

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

I'm making my way through the singleplayer, making a list of criticisms and weird observations. It's much better to think of the game as the botched remake it is and be pleasantly surprised at the occasional thing done well against the odds than expect it to be polished and be constantly disappointed. I find adding to the list oddly satisfying.

Part 1:
The waterfalls! They are really bad.
Why sloppily replace 'Grom' with 'Hellscream?'? wtf... If they thought the original was too confusing, that's dumb. The one where Thrall confronts Grom in mission 8 is the worst.
Voice lines sometimes too loud, original sound balance was always good.
Peon is really ugly
Peon says 'work work' with a lower tone of voice now for no reason.
Unit sounds / music randomly stop working
Missing unit sounds like catapult
Weird voice filters on singleplayer dialogue
The structure placement sound is super brief and sounds cheap and overcompressed.
Northrend tileset less bad than I expected, perhaps because it's naturally darker and so the lack of any shadows is less jarringly bad.
Lordaeron fall tileset is mediocre.
Barrens tileset actually looks fairly good. Partly this might be the desert being bright, and lack of shadows less noticeable. It's more or less the original in HD like it should be. Even Water looks somewhat better despite having the same lovely geometry, I think it's more color and softness.

3 biggest graphical to-do's:
1. Doing shadows
2. Fixing grass
3. Redoing water
Would go a long way to making the game not look like a cheap Chinese knockoff from 2008. Water looks like a second rate Doom 2 mod from 2001.
Game looks like what annoyed freshman graphical design majors ask, 'Shadows are hard, How bad would it be to just make a high res game with no shadows?' Answer: Very much blander and badder.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 30, 2020

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
The NE Sentinels are bizarre. The icons (training, unit selection) makes them look like they're ready to throw down and gently caress you up.

You select them, and look at their selection window....they look like they're terrified.

And what the gently caress is Malfurion doing on a stag in War3?! I KNOW MY LORE GOD drat IT, WHY WOULD HE BE loving SLEEPING WITH A ....oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In original War 3, Malfurion had two models. One on foot for RoC, then in TFT he got a stag.

They only made a new model for his stag form.