Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
A friend pointed out that the spot that Dolores tried to wipe off of NuHale’s cheek is in the same spot as the mole on Jimmy Simpson’s face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m enjoying the season just fine but I wish we heard more of Ramin Djawadi covers of various songs. Those were always fun even if the particular episode was lacking.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Honestly, not telling us who is in Charlotte is a dumb mystery that actively harms the viewers ability to understand what's going on.

Yeah no kidding. It's hard to care about her/his emotions and motivations when we have no idea who she/he actually is. Instead of compelling storytelling we get a cheap "mystery" they're clearly going to milk dry.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Westworld is some drat good Terminator. I hope the who’s Charlotte mystery has a good payoff, but I’m not that concerned at the moment.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah no kidding. It's hard to care about her/his emotions and motivations when we have no idea who she/he actually is. Instead of compelling storytelling we get a cheap "mystery" they're clearly going to milk dry.

It's both dumb and reinforces that it could be William. Maybe they want you to feel bad for her and then learn it's the daughter murdering maniac you're supposed to hate. Also, William getting a new child, Nathan, to redeem themselves through.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Would've liked it if they did something indicating that the dog could tell that Hale wasn't human.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dogs, since forever, have always been very adept at sniffing out murderous robots, demons, aliens and shapeshifters.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Wasn’t the dog also a robbot though? Or is it just elephant that are extinct?

Maybe the robbot doggo should have given roboHale a subtle wink or something

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Honestly, not telling us who is in Charlotte is a dumb mystery that actively harms the viewers ability to understand what's going on.

If you hate even dumb mysteries then why do you watch this show? It's a giant nutsack of mysteries hopefully makes some sense in the end.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh so is the circle thing at the beginning of the show, the ai thing that can predict what people are going to do, does it exist to make sure people aren't robot clones? Like, that's why it keeps detecting anomalies. Also, if you know you can create bots of people, how do you make sure nobody has perverted your production system and isn't making bots of you? That's what the ai does?

I do like that they are doing the future world doppelganger thing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

SirPablo posted:

If you hate even dumb mysteries then why do you watch this show? It's a giant nutsack of mysteries hopefully makes some sense in the end.

Because it's all seen in relation to good mysteries, like who is the Man in Black and who is Arnold.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Donnerberg posted:

Because it's all seen in relation to good mysteries, like who is the Man in Black and who is Arnold.

Also, those two were only hinted at gradually and built up naturally over time.

Not

:confused: "Who am I?"

:v: "Well, you're -..."

* Next scene *

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Oh so is the circle thing at the beginning of the show, the ai thing that can predict what people are going to do, does it exist to make sure people aren't robot clones? Like, that's why it keeps detecting anomalies. Also, if you know you can create bots of people, how do you make sure nobody has perverted your production system and isn't making bots of you? That's what the ai does?

I do like that they are doing the future world doppelganger thing.

The AI is running a simulation of the entire world (?) so that it can predict everything. I think the anomalies are because it didn't expect sentient robots to appear and secretly escape from Westworld. It doesn't understand why certain events are happening. Or maybe it knew they would but is just calling their impacts anomalies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's definitely that the AI is noticing weird things that it didn't predict. But does that mean it will notify whoever and cause Dilophosaurus to be discovered? Is it Liam whatever jr who owns the sphere or Surak?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The inevitable Team Dolores vs. Team Maeve thing they're setting up is going to be a big wet fart IMO unless Maeve switches sides or does something else to screw over Serac, I mean he's not exactly the good guy.

sidenote: Anyone else with a subwoofer notice they just do constant slow bass sweeps during like half the show?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

qirex posted:

The inevitable Team Dolores vs. Team Maeve thing they're setting up is going to be a big wet fart IMO unless Maeve switches sides or does something else to screw over Serac, I mean he's not exactly the good guy.

sidenote: Anyone else with a subwoofer notice they just do constant slow bass sweeps during like half the show?
yes that was in my like first post and it was just loving annoying. You gotta save that poo poo up. It's called icing down the crowd

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The AI is running a simulation of the entire world (?) so that it can predict everything. I think the anomalies are because it didn't expect sentient robots to appear and secretly escape from Westworld. It doesn't understand why certain events are happening. Or maybe it knew they would but is just calling their impacts anomalies.

I think the AI is an elaborate malware detector, and it's set to detect that nobody had been doppelganged into a bot with a different mind

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

I think the AI is an elaborate malware detector, and it's set to detect that nobody had been doppelganged into a bot with a different mind

Was the outside world aware that this was possible? I thought host sentience was kind of a mistake that a couple of delos people kept secret. The massacre was outwardly just malfunctioning hosts. The "main" secret plan was just building replicants of people, not original sentience.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Isn't the circle AI thing on the insider knowledge track of knowing what delos was up to?

Shiiiit, delos been trying to doppelgang people since the 70s

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Incite people are after the forge. They used a pretty half-baked plan to get the info out of Maeve.. I don't know how smart they thought she was, but she did surprise them. Yeah idk

Their mole had no idea about host sentience tho

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
La-li-lu-le-lo? Anthony Hopkins is Big Boss. Hale is Raiden

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

esperterra posted:

I don't mind it being a mystery, as long as it doesn't last all season.
Agreed. If it's being used to allow the viewer to make judgments about Halebot without being influenced by what the character did in the previous seasons then it's fine, and even OK to have it be a sort-of mystery that you can figure out from the clues they give, but the reveal should come soon.

I said come in! posted:

gently caress, I want to change my vote to this one, but the one issue with this is that her daughter was uploaded into the cloud.
That's what makes it such a great mystery, no one is gonna figure it out!

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's definitely that the AI is noticing weird things that it didn't predict. But does that mean it will notify whoever and cause Dilophosaurus to be discovered? Is it Liam whatever jr who owns the sphere or Surak?
Yeah, I don't think the base idea behind that notification is anything more than indicating when things did not proceed like in the simulation, allowing the AI or its controller to correct it and attempt to refine the model, and something that just happens occasionally. It's when occasionally turns into all the time that warning klaxons should be going off, and I imagine later in the season we'll see the big brain AI graphics go nuts when Dolores starts going to town.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m really enjoying this season, but my partner is complaining a lot about things being confusing or unexplained.
I do agree they should just bloody reveal who Delores took out of the park. It would make the Charlotte Hale character clearer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I kinda like them going for the final five cylons who's in the pearl mystery, so long as they don't overplay them or make them too convoluted. Questions that go unanswered for a while aren't the show's issue, it's just how they present those plot beats imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nearing the end of season 1 and this show is way cornier than I anticipated. I'm not sure why I anticpated anything else considering the premise and Michael Crichton and all that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

veni veni veni posted:

Nearing the end of season 1 and this show is way cornier than I anticipated. I'm not sure why I anticpated anything else considering the premise and Michael Crichton and all that.

lol season 1 is the good season, you just wait

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

veni veni veni posted:

But are you enjoying it?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Also I'm pretty sure surak is the AI ball

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Kawasaki Nun posted:

La-li-lu-le-lo? Anthony Hopkins is Big Boss. Hale is Raiden

Mgs2 era or metal gear rising era?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

oh I like this. Maeve could have easily been in a construct when they met & Hale only saw him through her google glass

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Robo Hale and Syrup, and Maeve and Syrup could be happening years apart too. The main characters are barely crossing paths.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

beanieson posted:

oh I like this. Maeve could have easily been in a construct when they met & Hale only saw him through her google glass
As far as the show goes, the host bodies are the easy part, so it doesn't seem impossible that he might have an actual physical body used to interface with humans. Though that makes me think that it might end up being an Arnold-Bernard situation, with the AI recreating its creator, though perhaps more in a "let's cover up the fact that I murdered my master" kind of way.

Thinking of sort-of parallels to season 1, I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed at some point that some scenes were in the simulation, and others in the real world.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I think they've been consistent so far about putting simulated reality in a wider screen letterbox. Maybe. I didn't look for it at the beginning of warworld, but I know they were doing it at the end.

They did it all the time in season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When we are supposed to know it's a simulation, they change the aspect ratio. I think in a behind the scenes thing, they said when Maebe discovers she's in a dream within a dream, they have the aspect ratio expand out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite part is when the show keeps reusing catchphrases but THIS time it's another character saying it.

These violent delights have violent ends!

My favourite part is Dolores now able to "hack" humans and manipulate them the way humans previously manipulated hosts

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Anybody watch Upgrade?

You should all watch it. It’s fun and relevant to this discussion.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like this because it fits with the "they're inside the simulation." Surak is just the personification of the system, ala Logan at the end of S2 inside the Forge. That would also be why no one can find the richest man in the world: he isn't a man with a physical body, but a god-like AI with the power to predict what all of the humans are doing.

Forge + Surak would be a neat, Singularity end-point where the ability to simulate reality combines with the ability to accurately predict human behavior. Maybe we'll get the good Deus Ex ending with benevolent AI overlords? Come on The Culture!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm surprised other rich people would allow him to exist in such a scenario. They are working "hard" or whatever excuse rich people use for having their money just multiply by itself and he is able to get rich simply because he can run simulations and predict how best to invest his money. Though maybe he makes his money by selling his predictions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised other rich people would allow him to exist in such a scenario. They are working "hard" or whatever excuse rich people use for having their money just multiply by itself and he is able to get rich simply because he can run simulations and predict how best to invest his money. Though maybe he makes his money by selling his predictions.

This is how hedge fund managers make money so it shouldn’t be surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I thought this last episode established that people aren't aware that all this wealth is actually the property of a single person, since it's hidden in a horde of minor stakeholders with no apparent connection? Rich people don't react to this because he disguises himself as something far beneath their notice, while he slowly accumulates wealth and power. This strategy can't work forever though, at some point people will notice the big gaping hole in the economy, like they did in this episode when they looked closer. Which might be a reason to want park guest data, to allow Serac to turn the rich into sockpuppets, at which point he can basically accumulate all the wealth without any reaction.

Assuming Serac is actually the big brain AI, I guess the end game of consolidating all the wealth and power would be to fulfill the goal its creator set for it - to make a perfect simulation of the real world. Only the AI has decided out it's easier to force the real world to fit the simulation than the other way around.