Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Serendipitaet posted:

First attempt at sourdough, rye starter. Very happy with the result, perhaps a touch dark. Will bake another one tomorrow.

Question for the thread: I made the rye starter according to this guide, which results in a small amount of starter, approx. 120g. The bread recipe is from the same site and uses only 15g of starter for the poolish.

I was wondering how to use up the remaining starter before throwing part of it out for the feeding and wanted to try sourdough pancakes. However, the recipes I found all asked for like a cup of starter / 240g, even with an overnight fermentation. I don’t really want to maintain a huge amount of starter all the time, is there a way around this? Can i just take a bit of my mature culture a day before and bring it up to 240g in total?

If you're only feeding yourself: Discard pancakes without added flour, using a reasonable amount of starter (recipe makes about 2 pancakes using 1/2 cup scoops of batter for each).

If you usually have 100g of starter discard and the recipes you see all call for 240g of discard, you have some options:

1) Put the discard into some tupperware in the fridge and accumulate enough for the recipe you have in mind. It'll last a month at least that way.

2) Convert the recipe into baker's percentages and simply scale the recipe down. (Bonus-- you now can easily scale the recipe up if you need.)

3) Figure out how much discard you lack, and covert that back into grams of flour and water you'll add to your recipe. Discard is usually not there for anything other than flavor (and perhaps some acid to help activate another leavening agent) so this is usually fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244467956748189696
https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244473069504065537
https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244488741361598464
https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244491065018609664

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess it's like using a baking cloche. I can see it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Not my sourdough starter (still struggling) but was able to bake my first little loaf of bread today!

Just AP flour as that's all I had to start and it tastes really good! The recipe I'm following in my book means I have basically 3-4 more loafs in my fridge that I can pull the dough out and bake the morning of so this is great.

I have rye and fancy flour coming soon and really look forward to seeing how different they will taste.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Not my sourdough starter (still struggling) but was able to bake my first little loaf of bread today!

Just AP flour as that's all I had to start and it tastes really good! The recipe I'm following in my book means I have basically 3-4 more loafs in my fridge that I can pull the dough out and bake the morning of so this is great.

I have rye and fancy flour coming soon and really look forward to seeing how different they will taste.

Looks great! Are you doing Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day or whatever it’s called?

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to revive my starter after forgetting about it in the back of the fridge for 2 or so months, and did a sourdough loaf. I think I should have given the starter another day or two of feedings, but it seemed to make some bread:

Pretty dense and chewy, but still tasty. I'm happy with it but would like to figure out how to tweak it for a softer loaf in the future. It's about 20% whole wheat flour, so it I could see that being a part of it. And I appreciate the earlier post about what to do with the normal starter discard, I'd saved the rest after splintering it and good to have some resources on turning that into something other than compost.

How do folks store their loaves as they work through them? I feel like homemade bread gets stale as soon as it's cut into, and while I'm not expecting it to last a full week, it'd be nice to get a few days before having to toast every slice or turn it into croutons.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

Looks great! Are you doing Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day or whatever it’s called?

I am, yeah. This is from their "master" recipe. Figured I'd follow it to a tee to try it out but works well for a first attempt.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mykroft posted:

I tried to revive my starter after forgetting about it in the back of the fridge for 2 or so months, and did a sourdough loaf. I think I should have given the starter another day or two of feedings, but it seemed to make some bread:

Pretty dense and chewy, but still tasty. I'm happy with it but would like to figure out how to tweak it for a softer loaf in the future. It's about 20% whole wheat flour, so it I could see that being a part of it. And I appreciate the earlier post about what to do with the normal starter discard, I'd saved the rest after splintering it and good to have some resources on turning that into something other than compost.

How do folks store their loaves as they work through them? I feel like homemade bread gets stale as soon as it's cut into, and while I'm not expecting it to last a full week, it'd be nice to get a few days before having to toast every slice or turn it into croutons.

Sourdough lasts for days at room temp in a ziploc or other airtight container; the lower pH is slightly more resistant to spoilage microbes. Non-sourdough I tend to store in an airtight container in the fridge (the fridge, how dare you: I know, but it’s not the horrible fate everyone says; it’s equal to a day or two of staling at most, with further staling happening at a lower rate than keeping it at room temperature, with the added benefit of reducing mold growth. It’s still generally fine as, you know, bread, and more than fine if you heat it up. This works less well with really eggy brads, though, which can turn crumbly).

In re softness, I find whole wheat generally makes for soft bread. Other options include pregelatinizng some of the starch by cooking a little of the flour as a flour water paste before making your dough, or making an enriched bread by adding fats (or dairy but I personally don’t like soured dairy enriched breads, generally speaking).

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
I managed to source flour, I am now working on a sourdough starter*... I may have also blended some lentils into flour to stretch it out

edit: * naturally there is no yeast available

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Piss Meridian posted:

I managed to source flour, I am now working on a sourdough starter*... I may have also blended some lentils into flour to stretch it out
I convinced lentils is somehow a secret ingredient in really good fried chicken breading. I haven't figured it out yet and I make everyone around me suffer.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I convinced lentils is somehow a secret ingredient in really good fried chicken breading. I haven't figured it out yet and I make everyone around me suffer.

in indian food they use chickpea flour to make deep fried pakoras and they are really good, may be something to that!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hakimashou posted:

in indian food they use chickpea flour to make deep fried pakoras and they are really good, may be something to that!

It is very strongly flavoured, imo. Not saying you shouldn’t do it, just an fyi.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spicy-coconut-healthyish-fried-chicken

e: breads this week

~82% hydration mostly whole wheat sourdough with toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds

Serious Eats banana bread with some tweaks- substituted 20% or so of the white flour for whole wheat, used cane sugar, and added some toasted coriander and fresh ground black pepper with the spices. It's amazing. I think it's better in 2 small loaves instead of 1 big one, the crust-crumb ratio of a slice is better.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 31, 2020

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

poverty goat posted:

e: breads this week

~82% hydration mostly whole wheat sourdough with toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds

Bread looks great but even better doggo.

Also, crust was "tough" on my loaf. I think that means it was overbaked? The inside wasn't dry but I'm thinking of knocking down the time without dutch oven lid on by about 5 minutes for the next one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Bread looks great but even better doggo.

Also, crust was "tough" on my loaf. I think that means it was overbaked? The inside wasn't dry but I'm thinking of knocking down the time without dutch oven lid on by about 5 minutes for the next one.

Probably, though generally crusts soften up enough in the following days that it doesn't matter too too much ime

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Starter question: I’m making a new starter after (maybe) killing my old one from neglect. I’m now using Forkish’s method from Art of Pizza (think FWSY but with less waste). Day 2 the starter started getting webby and funky.

Last night (Day 5) I noticed the starter had bubbles some but no longer developed its web-like structure. I left it overnight to see if there would be more activity, but nope. I discarded all but 50g of the starter and fed with 75g whole wheat, 75g white, and 150g of water (around 89°). Kitchen sits at around 66° overnight and is around 69° during the day.

Should I leave the starter to develop longer, or just continue with regular feedings? Move back to 100% whole wheat? Other options?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Starter question: I’m making a new starter after (maybe) killing my old one from neglect. I’m now using Forkish’s method from Art of Pizza (think FWSY but with less waste). Day 2 the starter started getting webby and funky.

Last night (Day 5) I noticed the starter had bubbles some but no longer developed its web-like structure. I left it overnight to see if there would be more activity, but nope. I discarded all but 50g of the starter and fed with 75g whole wheat, 75g white, and 150g of water (around 89°). Kitchen sits at around 66° overnight and is around 69° during the day.

Should I leave the starter to develop longer, or just continue with regular feedings? Move back to 100% whole wheat? Other options?

Microbes create amylases and proteases that break down the fundamental structures in dough; the longer a starter sits, the more it's going to end up soft and pourable like a batter. You'll stop seeing bubbles after a few days because there's not much left for the yeast to eat. This will happen constantly unless you feel the need to feed it daily (super wasteful imo).

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I’ve done the America’s test kitchen white sandwich bread before and it was greatly successful. I was looking at making it again or the King Arthur Flour recipe (https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe). We have butter on hand but not milk. Would we be able to substitute anything for the half cup of milk? Thanks for any advice.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can replace it with just water if you want it'll just be a less rich bread. If you have anything else kinda liquid and fatty (cream, buttermilk, evaporated milk, yogurt, etc...) you can sub some of it for the milk and make up the difference with water. Throw some eggs in if you have them and nothing else on hand.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Microbes create amylases and proteases that break down the fundamental structures in dough; the longer a starter sits, the more it's going to end up soft and pourable like a batter. You'll stop seeing bubbles after a few days because there's not much left for the yeast to eat. This will happen constantly unless you feel the need to feed it daily (super wasteful imo).

I'm feeding it daily because this is a brand new starter (i.e. toss 50% of the starter; add more flour and water). What I'm saying is I don't see the first part, where the starter rises and becomes web-like anymore. This started happening on Day 2, but has since stopped happening and the starter appears to have become more unresponsive with subsequent feedings.

It's possible that the starter is actually rising and falling entirely overnight. I just did a feed this morning to see what happens throughout the day.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I'm feeding it daily because this is a brand new starter (i.e. toss 50% of the starter; add more flour and water). What I'm saying is I don't see the first part, where the starter rises and becomes web-like anymore. This started happening on Day 2, but has since stopped happening and the starter appears to have become more unresponsive with subsequent feedings.

It's possible that the starter is actually rising and falling entirely overnight. I just did a feed this morning to see what happens throughout the day.

I get it. I still think it's wasteful, but you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

It's definitely possible that it's deflating before you notice, though you'd think it'd leave behind traces on the sides of your container. I've also found that sometimes if you are too quick about tossing and adding fresh that you can let stuff you don't want outcompete the stuff you do. What ratio of flour:water do you add?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It'll take more than just a few days to get a starter healthy enough to double on its own.
Keep feeding it for at least a week.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I get it. I still think it's wasteful, but you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

It's definitely possible that it's deflating before you notice, though you'd think it'd leave behind traces on the sides of your container. I've also found that sometimes if you are too quick about tossing and adding fresh that you can let stuff you don't want outcompete the stuff you do. What ratio of flour:water do you add?

100% hydration.

What would you recommend doing with the spent flour? This isn’t currently a healthy starter.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 31, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

100% hydration.

What would you recommend doing with the spent flour? This isn’t currently a healthy starter.

If it doesn’t smell or taste bad you can use it in anything, really. Pancake batter, cookies, as a replacement for poolish / biga / pâte fermentée in bread dough, etc. I almost never throw starter away, haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Garlic and black pepper enriched white dough, spinach and cheese(s) in the middle.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dangerllama posted:

I'd give it a couple days in the oven with the oven light on. Those temperatures are pretty low for sourdough ime.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stringent posted:

I'd give it a couple days in the oven with the oven light on. Those temperatures are pretty low for sourdough ime.

I just started doing this today. It's been that temp in my kitchen (NYC has been super rainy and dreary for the past week). Seems bubblier already so fingers crossed.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

You can replace it with just water if you want it'll just be a less rich bread. If you have anything else kinda liquid and fatty (cream, buttermilk, evaporated milk, yogurt, etc...) you can sub some of it for the milk and make up the difference with water. Throw some eggs in if you have them and nothing else on hand.

This was pretty much my thought process as well. Replace the milk fat with another type. I used a couple of eggs and a little more butter and will let it rise for a couple hours then probably fridge it until tomorrow. With refrigerated dough, do y’all let it come to room temperature before shaping and baking? I’ve done this before but I put too much time in between bread baking kicks and always forget; I should start taking better notes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

With extra butter and eggs probably better to treat it like brioche and shape it while it's cold. Then let it proof in the pan at room temp before baking. Brush an egg wash on top if you want it to be super shiny and golden brown when baked.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
I continue to suck at real bread and rock at quick breads. Made some absolutely stellar cinnamon buns today, but they probably won't do for sandwiches. The secret is in the mashed potato. (No pics bc phone posting)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

I continue to suck at real bread and rock at quick breads. Made some absolutely stellar cinnamon buns today, but they probably won't do for sandwiches. The secret is in the mashed potato. (No pics bc phone posting)

The awful app auto uploads to imgur fwiw. I’m curious about a quick bread cinnamon roll....

If you ever make cinnamon bread, makes a good grilled cheese with something soft and creamy like brie or port salut.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

Probably, though generally crusts soften up enough in the following days that it doesn't matter too too much ime

People have freshly baked bread over following days? Impossible.

In other news, grabbed a hunk of the dough in the fridge and attempted another boule:

This one was a little smaller than before but turned out well! Baked 5 minutes less with the lid off to fight against the hard crust. Should have scored a little bit deeper as it could have opened up more I think. The extra resting in the fridge seems to have made the crumb come out better too so I'm pretty happy so far :)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have yeast but probably not enough for several months of baking to I want to make a levain.

Is there a well documented method of growing and maintaining a starter culture that is more efficient that the one described in FWSY? I just read that and you go through 2.5 kilos of flour just to get the levain ready to use and another 3.5 kilos a week to keep it alive.

I might make a couple of loaves a week so that seems like a bit much wastage.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Murgos posted:

I have yeast but probably not enough for several months of baking to I want to make a levain.

Is there a well documented method of growing and maintaining a starter culture that is more efficient that the one described in FWSY? I just read that and you go through 2.5 kilos of flour just to get the levain ready to use and another 3.5 kilos a week to keep it alive.

I might make a couple of loaves a week so that seems like a bit much wastage.

The FWSY method is suuuuuper wasteful. But you can successfully cut the quantities into a smaller percentage. In The Art of Pizza, Forkish starts out with:

- Day 1: 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 2: Add 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 3: Toss half. Add 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 4: Toss 3/4. Add 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 5: Toss everything but 50g of starter. Add 75g white + 75g whole wheat + 150g water @ 85º
- Day 6: Toss everything but 50g of starter. Add 100g of white + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 7: good to go.

In the Art of Pizza routine, he just recommends keeping it up by keeping 25g of starter and adding 100g of white flour + 100g of water.

For my FWSY starter, once active my feeding routine was:

- Toss all but around 25-30g of starter.
- Add 100g of white flour
- Add 25g of white flour
- Add 100g of water @ 90º

As long as you keep a 1:1:4:4 ratio of starter:whole wheat:white:water you can probably do any quantities you want. Not sure how switching between all white and some whole wheat feedings would change things.

———

Content question:

I think my new starter is fine, just a little sluggish because of kitchen temps and newness. I like mediaphage’s idea of not discarding old starter, and so would like to substitute the yeast used in FWSY’s white bread with poolish. buuuuuut…how much levain would one use in lieu of the 0.4g of yeast? Any other adjustments that would have to be made?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dangerllama posted:

The FWSY method is suuuuuper wasteful. But you can successfully cut the quantities into a smaller percentage. In The Art of Pizza, Forkish starts out with:

- Day 1: 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 2: Add 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 3: Toss half. Add 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 4: Toss 3/4. Add 100g of whole wheat flour + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 5: Toss everything but 50g of starter. Add 75g white + 75g whole wheat + 150g water @ 85º
- Day 6: Toss everything but 50g of starter. Add 100g of white + 100g of water @ 90º
- Day 7: good to go.

In the Art of Pizza routine, he just recommends keeping it up by keeping 25g of starter and adding 100g of white flour + 100g of water.

For my FWSY starter, once active my feeding routine was:

- Toss all but around 25-30g of starter.
- Add 100g of white flour
- Add 25g of white flour
- Add 100g of water @ 90º

As long as you keep a 1:1:4:4 ratio of starter:whole wheat:white:water you can probably do any quantities you want. Not sure how switching between all white and some whole wheat feedings would change things.

———

Content question:

I think my new starter is fine, just a little sluggish because of kitchen temps and newness. I like mediaphage’s idea of not discarding old starter, and so would like to substitute the yeast used in FWSY’s white bread with poolish. buuuuuut…how much levain would one use in lieu of the 0.4g of yeast? Any other adjustments that would have to be made?

I just took some rye (high natural yeast present, I believe), mixed it with tap water and left it for 3 days, then started adding flour and water after discarding some. I didn’t measure, and I didn’t use much flour. After a week I had a very active starter. I tossed it after a while because maintaining it was too much hassle and still too wasteful for my liking.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

The awful app auto uploads to imgur fwiw. I’m curious about a quick bread cinnamon roll....

If you ever make cinnamon bread, makes a good grilled cheese with something soft and creamy like brie or port salut.

That sounds amazing and delicious, and probably what I will do whenever I vet a job again.

It's kinda-not-really a quick bread, but I've found this recipe absolutely fool-proof. There's something about desserts that I never gently caress them up, but staples like bread are just beyond me.

This is almost exactly the recipe I use; just omit the addtl flour from the filling.

https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/easy-mashed-potato-cinnamon-rolls/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

That sounds amazing and delicious, and probably what I will do whenever I vet a job again.

It's kinda-not-really a quick bread, but I've found this recipe absolutely fool-proof. There's something about desserts that I never gently caress them up, but staples like bread are just beyond me.

This is almost exactly the recipe I use; just omit the addtl flour from the filling.

https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/easy-mashed-potato-cinnamon-rolls/

Ah, it’s not a quick bread at all, it’s an enriched yeast bread. Quick breads generally rely strictly on chemical leavening.

My standard bread recipe is 1kg flour, 60-70% hydration, 2.5% salt and starter or yeast. To make enriched bread (dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, blueberry cream bread, etc.), I take that and add 30g of milk or buttermilk powder, an egg, and a hunk of butter. To make croissants I just make the regular bread dough and fold in an amount of butter equivalent to the flour by weight.

As for starters, if you guys want a no-fail starter, just add a little bakers yeast to your 1:1 flour:water mix if you have it. You’ll have a ready supply of yeast right off the bat, it prevents infection by unwanted microbes, and it’ll eventually be inoculated by the sorts of bacteria you want, anyway. You can use it as you would regular yeast after giving it a chance to wake up and divide (like, give it a couple of hours). Just stick what’s left in the fridge, and over time it’ll get progressively sour as lactobacilli take hold (you could spike it with some yogurt juice if you want, even).

You’ll inevitably culture a set of microbes that conforms to your environment and flour supply, so it isn’t really a big deal how you get started.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This is kind of a far shot but I figure I'd still try: Do any of you have a suggestion for a misting nozzle that can take high temperatures? I want to use one in a plug door for my wood-fired oven. I want something that can help me inject some steam into the main chamber. I'm thinking it I need to be able to adjust it from outside and that it should generally use a slower flow rate. On the other hand, if there's a standard for this, I'm probably better of using that, but I'm ignorant of what is used in the normal baking trade.

A dutch oven of boiling water might suffice with the plug installed but I'm totally cool with overkill here. It definitely wasn't enough without a plug.

I will probably experiment with a cedar one soaked in water, but I know I'll eventually probably set it on fire.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I really think you're overthinking this, especially since you don't need steam 100% of the baking time. I get overengineering, but I don't think you're going to end up with any better of a product.

If your nozzle can handle high temperatures, it means you're going to be dispensing steam instead of water, your hose is going to need to be high temperature because it's attached to a (figuratively) red-hot nozzle, etc.

Just put a tray in there, put your bread in, dump some water on the tray and plug the sucker.

Some oven sellers talk about it here:
https://www.fornobravo.com/brick-oven-cooking/brick-oven-cooking-techniques/steam-in-your-brick-oven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Murgos posted:

You can always use less yeast than the recipe says- it will just take longer, and you'll have to pay attention to how much it's risen at each stage to decide when to proceed. If the recipe calls for teaspoons of yeast, the bulk of that is just impatience tax. Use a preferment and start it a full day or so in advance with just a pinch of yeast and not only will the yeast reproduce enough to make all the farts you require, but your bread will be more delicious for the trouble.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 1, 2020