Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Palm beach county issued a shelter in place order and salons and pool cleaners are considered essential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

dee eight posted:

it's true that 1% protection is better than 0% protection
any nerd knows that

real life THAC0

idiotic normies: lmao, what's with this puny CFR? only dumb gay babies care about this flu
roguelike players: :stonklol:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Alcohol and a spraybottle are all you need to disinfect the reusable masks. Wipe the mask down with 90% and a paper towel, wipe your face around the mask as well. Pull off mask, remove filter media, spritz good with alcohol and let dry.

use 70% not 90%

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Palm beach county issued a shelter in place order and salons and pool cleaners are considered essential

Wtf man

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SO DEMANDING posted:

So uh, where should a dumbass american who doesn't know how to sew (me) buy one of these fabric reusable masks? etsy? amazon seems like a wasteland of sketchball aliexpress crap. speaking of, any chance the surgical masks from ali aren't just made from paper towels and butchers twine? (lol)

Etsy has tons, yeah.

As for ali, the stuff disposable surgical masks are made from normally is probably cheaper than butcher's twine. In normal times bulk orders of surgical masks cost less than 10 cents each. The non-woven material is cheap as hell. People would notice right away if you just made them from tissue paper instead.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

The same thing happened today in Arizona. Our scumbag Republican governor ordered a lockdown but salons, golf courses, parks, churches etc are still allowed to operate. Even his fellow Republican state politicians are criticizing him for it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pool cleaners seem like they should be able to practice good physical distancing at least. And if idiots kept using their unserviced pools it could become a public health issue.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

SO DEMANDING posted:

So uh, where should a dumbass american who doesn't know how to sew (me) buy one of these fabric reusable masks? etsy? amazon seems like a wasteland of sketchball aliexpress crap. speaking of, any chance the surgical masks from ali aren't just made from paper towels and butchers twine? (lol)

idk where to buy any but you can make your own pretty easily:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9zL5wsl6P6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pool cleaners seem like they should be able to practice good physical distancing at least. And if idiots kept using their unserviced pools it could become a public health issue.

Uh you do know pool cleaners like always have to have sex with the people that employ them right? There's plenty of documentaries about this on the internet look them up do your research!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I had NPR on during my commute home and caught the my pillow guy talking about how great it is that trump is bringing jesus back to schools/general american life, what a cool and normal country this is

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

d0s posted:

I had NPR on during my commute home and caught the my pillow guy talking about how great it is that trump is bringing jesus back to schools/general american life, what a cool and normal country this is

CNN cut away

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

anyone else going to set off some fireworks tomorrow when we top off one million confirmed cases? i found a bunch of water dynamite digging through some old boxes, i might throw some in the ditch or something.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nah

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

anyone else going to set off some fireworks tomorrow when we top off one million confirmed cases? i found a bunch of water dynamite digging through some old boxes, i might throw some in the ditch or something.

crowded hospital, lost fingat

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guys if you're lucky enough to be able to stay home, please please do so. Please encourage others to do the same if possible.

No, you probably won't get it. But of enough idiots go about their day as normal then some of you probably will. Then they're going to pass it on.

Even if you think you're safe, it's not about you in particular.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
So I took my temperature three times in the last hour.. First reading was 99.3, second was 99.5, third was 99.4

I take Adderall and I haven't done any exercise or anything, so I'm hoping this is just a side effect of my amphetamine meds as inducing hyperthermia is a known and common side effect for ADHD medication.

Really hoping that's the reason and it not being because the rona finally got me otherwise you'll be adding another death to the Washington State statistics as if this is the rona, I've already given it to my gf and she'll die 100% as someone that's immunocompromised, asthmatic, and a type 1 diabetic.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Guys if you're lucky enough to be able to stay home, please please do so. Please encourage others to do the same if possible.

No, you probably won't get it. But of enough idiots go about their day as normal then some of you probably will. Then they're going to pass it on.

Even if you think you're safe, it's not about you in particular.

jesus christ all this time I've been going out, thanks for the heads up

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
if it weren't so late I would take some and see if that raised my temps, for science

but for real I think it is known to raise body temps

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
stimulants pretty much always raise your body temp dont they

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

So I took my temperature three times in the last hour.. First reading was 99.3, second was 99.5, third was 99.4

I take Adderall and I haven't done any exercise or anything, so I'm hoping this is just a side effect of my amphetamine meds as inducing hyperthermia is a known and common side effect for ADHD medication.

Really hoping that's the reason and it not being because the rona finally got me otherwise you'll be adding another death to the Washington State statistics as if this is the rona, I've already given it to my gf and she'll die 100% as someone that's immunocompromised, asthmatic, and a type 1 diabetic.

That’s a pretty drat normal temp unless you’re doing an axilary one on yourself. 98.6 isn’t actually the “normal human temperature”, thats from a terrible study that’s like a hundred years old.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/Manda_like_wine/status/1244602911084154880

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thats a pretty drat normal temp unless youre doing an axilary one on yourself. 98.6 isnt actually the normal human temperature, thats from a terrible study thats like a hundred years old.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I only have a regular run of the mill oral thermometer so that's all I've been able to rely on.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I recently learned there is a decent beer/wine delivery place within 5 miles of me and ordered over the weekend to see how it works. The delivery guy called me and said "let's do contactless delivery, so just leave your ID at the door," so I immediately went to do so and he was already there. He had a look of panic as he quickly retreated, looking over his shoulder while saying "it's ok, you're 21"

i washed all the cans and bottles. Oh and i tipped well. Thanks pandemic holocaust beer delivery guy.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s a pretty drat normal temp unless you’re doing an axilary one on yourself. 98.6 isn’t actually the “normal human temperature”, thats from a terrible study that’s like a hundred years old.

this pandemic just needs a theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykN6Cz05bLM
and maybe a laugh track

e: first day of lock down, putting this on loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLTZavs4WAo

dee eight fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 31, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I recently learned there is a decent beer/wine delivery place within 5 miles of me and ordered over the weekend to see how it works. The delivery guy called me and said "let's do contactless delivery, so just leave your ID at the door," so I immediately went to do so and he was already there. He had a look of panic as he quickly retreated, looking over his shoulder while saying "it's ok, you're 21"

i washed all the cans and bottles. Oh and i tipped well. Thanks pandemic holocaust beer delivery guy.

We don’t have delivery here and I have to do a beer run tomorrow:smith:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAN YOU GET THE RONI FROM HUMAN URINE THIS IS EXTREMELYT IMPORTANT I NEED TO KNOW IMMEDIATEOLY

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

bird with big dick posted:

CAN YOU GET THE RONI FROM HUMAN URINE THIS IS EXTREMELYT IMPORTANT I NEED TO KNOW IMMEDIATEOLY

I have it on good authority (predisent of the untied states) that urine is tremendously sterile

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Lol the local mayor here(Montreal) commandeered local hotels for them and re purposed an old hospital to host them in.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 31, 2020

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Dear Watson posted:

I have it on good authority (predisent of the untied states) that urine is tremendously sterile

virus is not stored in the pee

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

bird with big dick posted:

only if it gets in your eyes

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

We don’t have delivery here and I have to do a beer run tomorrow:smith:

I guess in theory delivery is marginally safer than going to a greasy gas station, but it is also more than twice as much plus they subbed my miller lites with bud lite and some cool looking brown ale I never heard of with Brooklyn Brown which is objectively the worst brown ale, but they did give me extras and this is the Road Warrior apocalypse futur so fair enough.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HonorableTB posted:

This is why I've been checking my temp, my wife's temp, and my kids temps daily (forehead point and click thing).

Establishing a base line of what's normal for us, so that we can actually track when we're sick.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Bleusilences posted:

Lol the local mayor here(Montreal) commandeered local hotels for them and re purposed an old hospital to host them in.

They are still warmer than me. That sucks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

boil the piss to be safe

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_Island

There's a reason for this. They probably picked NJ as the default designation for errors because...NJ.

New Jersey? More like NULL Jersey.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

As one of the commenters on the Twitter thread pointed out, “Too bad there aren’t any empty hotel rooms nearby.”

I think this photo has nearly broken me. It’s like a very dark satire aimed at a completely broken and vicious society.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

VikingSkull posted:

the thread has mutated and is a Trump thread now

hopefully we can develop a vaccine

Are you talking about a vaccine against this thread or against The President?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

dee eight posted:

this pandemic just needs a theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykN6Cz05bLM
and maybe a laugh track

e: first day of lock down, putting this on loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLTZavs4WAo

I thought the pandemic theme was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHm-tp_E0c

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I only have a regular run of the mill oral thermometer so that's all I've been able to rely on.

The problem is the normal human temp is below 98.6, not above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Scientists have also tested whether masks reduce infection in randomized controlled trials. Results from these studies are inconsistent: Many fail to find definitive support for mask wearing, but a few are somewhat encouraging.

Because so many trials find only a marginal benefit or none at all, some health agencies have decided against recommending masks to the general public. But the inconsistency of randomized trials does not negate the robust physical evidence that masks block respiratory droplets and microbes. Rather, these trials underscore that the efficacy of a mask depends on how it is used. In a study of 143 households in Sydney, people who diligently wore surgical masks as instructed reduced their daily risk of respiratory infection by an estimated 60 to 80 percent, but fewer than half the participants kept up the demanding routine.

Translation: We picked the studies we liked that support our idea even though they were a small minority, its clearly common sense.

Also, they dug in on the "Asian countries wear masks ergo masks work" which completely contradicts the early mentioned point that wearing masks alone isn't effective. Pretty sure Korea and Japan's social and govt health polices like shutting down asap, mass testing, contact tracing etc. were a bit more significant then just "covered mouth for when cough"

This is why it becoming nigh impossible to try and explain science to people. Some journo or twitter persona summarizes a bunch of complex medical studies into some buzzworthy click-bait and suddenly they are speaking truth to power, anyone questioning the validity of the click-bait is suddenly forced to provide 10 perfect examples to disprove it or they're laughed at.

"Oh yeah, so why do healthcare workers need masks? Ergo I'm right all humans need masks at all times" the hoi polloi can never understand the idea that not everyone is living the exact same existence with the exact same set of risks and benefits and shockingly someone in a high risk situation needs something at the expense of someone in a low risk situation.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 31, 2020