Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Bloop posted:

It's just Jeff swinging on vines, riding motorcycles, and hanging off helicopters for 35 minutes

Here comes Jeff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm wondering what's going to happen with the Masked Singer.

Certainly seems like it's not super pre-recorded, all the audience members would know who's who way ahead of time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

I'm wondering what's going to happen with the Masked Singer.

Certainly seems like it's not super pre-recorded, all the audience members would know who's who way ahead of time

it's super pre-recorded, they make everyone sign NDAs, don't allow phones/cameras/etc inside the studio, and a lot of the crowd isn't actually there for the reveal

here's a neat article about it from last year https://www.eonline.com/news/1016590/the-masked-singer-reveals-intense-secret-keeping-measures-in-behind-the-scenes-video

e: a good list here as well https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurengarafano/behind-the-scenes-facts-the-masked-singer

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 30, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Edit: Wrong thread. Very wrong thread.

edit: Actual content.

Sighence posted:

Other shows with live finales have stripped it down to the bare essentials: host, cast (who weren't sick), and camera operators. Back-of-the-napkin math indicates that wide shots are impractical but there's room for your standard 2-3 person shots with the 6-foot guideline. No way to make it not look horribly awkward and it's still a bit insensitive to the current messaging to have 21 people on camera in a room together. Testing is becoming a lot more feasible now so testing everyone, especially in a month, might not be the moral and PR fiasco that it was for NBA teams a while back.

Yeah, they can skype in and pre-record interviews. I think they can still do pretty much all they want just without the live audiences or big panel of players sitting together.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 30, 2020

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
have the whole cast there but no audience and just spread the cast out throughout the seats

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That still involves flying all of them in and having a full production staff on hand which seems less than ideal. At least in the current climate.

There's like no reason to need it to be live so it just seems like they have time to just pre-tape some kind of teleconference or individual interviews and like... nothing dramatically will change from our usual finale experience.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
oh i wasn't serious i just thought that was an amusing mental image

this is what we actually need

The Bloop posted:

It's just Jeff swinging on vines, riding motorcycles, and hanging off helicopters for 35 minutes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ha. Yeah, I definitely also had the mental image of all cast members just 6 feet removed from each other and the two on the farthest end having no loving idea who the other one is half a football field away. Or maybe a giant circle with Jeff at a perfect 6 foot circumference in the center on a swivel chair.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I mean the reunion has been getting shorter over the recent seasons anyway. They could easily just do a few 1 on 1 interviews over videocoms ahead of time and play a few of those during the reunion. Although I think it will also be the first season in a while where they don't have any footage for the upcoming season preview...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, you do like a teleconference with the 3 finalists and Jeff to announce the winners and discuss some stuff. Figure out what your scripted segments and questions are and do those individually or with 2 or 3 person teleconferences. All you really lose are a few "look at who is in the crowd" things and the big reveal and "who would you have voted for with X and Y" questions. Its still early to know what would be featured on the reunion but maybe like Yul and Penner about his wife and ALS with like Sia donating money, maybe Sandra and Rob putting a bow on their Idol year, and I don't know what else. Thankfully there's no terrible and awkward poo poo to deal with unless they want to be dicks and get Wendell and Michelle on the same line. But we're not even past the merge yet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally got around to watching the episode this week after marathoning Australia Survivor. I don’t know that I could have scripted a more disappointing boot order for Winners at War. Ouch.

Australian Survivor season four stuff:
I was disappointed to see so many of my favorites end up on the jury with so many awful potential winners left, but I was surprisingly ok with the final two.

I liked Luke’s bootleg Tony gameplay. Henry was a lot of fun too. AK was a great villain and one goony motherfucker.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The Australian survivor finale was today and the Host and one of the final two where teleconferenced in.

Yea, for anyone truly curious how it was handled, this was it. Although they only had about 14 people actually at the finale, and then 1 of the final 2 was teleconferenced from home and the Jonathan read the votes from a studio in LA...

Also it was a really good season of Survivor... highly recommend it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

That's not true at all. He was incredibly well liked by everyone, and had a few moments where they showed he was capable of strategery as well. And nobody liked Crissy and Ryan so...sweep.
I've heard a lot of the players say on podcasts that they had not been considering Devon as an option and were really surprised to see what he was up to in his edit.

He could have won, but he would have had to do a great job in FTC to overcome people's assumptions and win them over.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

I've heard a lot of the players say on podcasts that they had not been considering Devon as an option and were really surprised to see what he was up to in his edit.

He could have won, but he would have had to do a great job in FTC to overcome people's assumptions and win them over.

I feel like Chrissy/Ryan/Devon hypothetical FTC is one of the big question makes of modern Survivor. Every time you see a jury member from that season talk about it they give you a different answer about who they would have voted for. I personally feel like Chrissy would have pulled it off, but I think it really could have gone any of 3 ways.

Instead we got Ben stumbling his way in and barely even giving a FTC performance and the jury having to force him to let him win.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm going to go dark horse and say Ryan would leaped from our zero vote finalist in our reality to Survivor winner in that alternate timeline. A few too many people personally disliking Chrissy and overlooking Devon's game. But who knows really!

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

I don't know y'all.. A vid-chat with MVPs wouldn't allow us to see who was only "island hot".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, for anyone truly curious how it was handled, this was it. Although they only had about 14 people actually at the finale, and then 1 of the final 2 was teleconferenced from home and the Jonathan read the votes from a studio in LA...

Also it was a really good season of Survivor... highly recommend it.

The season is better in retrospect, but man, it's pretty tough to watch live considering the editing this season is very imbalanced and the twists are some of the worst that I've seen in any season (and yes, that includes Edge, because at least that one was consistent).

It's still fine because the characters carry a lot of weight, but Australia has done better.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
A couple episodes into Australian Survivor season 5. This is extremely cool and good.

I’ll spoiler tag any actual discussion of stuff that happens on seasons, but I highly recommend anyone disenchanted with S40 dip into Australian Survivor. It’s a throwback to the days when Survivor had a budget of more than Jeff Probst could find in the couch cushions at CBS.

Also straight up, Jonathan is a better host than Jeff Probst.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:frogsiren: Cirie is on Shane Powers' Podcast/Radio Show RIGHT NOW.

https://www.twitch.tv/theshanepowers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I love the last part of this challenge, one of my favorite survivor games they do

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Ideal result

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

MY HEART

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So everyone in this game will either be the jury or in the final 2/3?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

So everyone in this game will either be the jury or in the final 2/3?

Or Sandra

Ughhhh I hate the second shot to get back

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

what an insane finish

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

new menu

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
aww crap, what did i miss lost track of time

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Tyson's back. No CopsRUs yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

extinction challenge (tyson won) and merge

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Looks like a WWE Immunity Belt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

imagine playing the game for 39 days and not bringing anything warm for rain the second time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
when do episodes go up online? wanna see tyson win back in.

michelle's fall hurt to watch, she's gonna feel that in a few years

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Strong effort from Nick, surprising the see the bigger guys last longest.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Question: At what point does the old school player start/stop? I mean Tyson was first on the 18th season. Should that really be considered old school? Or should it really be sort of a middle school, albeit maybe one of the first classes of that school.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If Adam is getting a winner's edit, he looks like a weiner.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
i want adam to stay just to get more adam and ben fights

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silly Burrito posted:

If Adam is getting a winner's edit, he looks like a weiner.

wiener's edit

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TMMadman posted:

Question: At what point does the old school player start/stop? I mean Tyson was first on the 18th season. Should that really be considered old school? Or should it really be sort of a middle school, albeit maybe one of the first classes of that school.

Pre and post Heroes vs. Villains?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

HvV is the midway point, I think that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

HvV is the midway point, I think that's fair.

yeah, but doesn't that just kind of move the bar for old school every couple of seasons?

I would probably think like seasons 1-15 or so would be old school, 15-25/26 as sort of a middle school and then like starting with Blood vs Water is when it feels like all the real gimmicks and new school started.

edit - I didn't even start watching Survivor until China as far as I can remember.