Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I'm not watching 30 mins of 2 dudes staring at each other. How the hell is that not boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Ok I'm not watching 30 mins of 2 dudes staring at each other. How the hell is that not boring?

It rules, scoospgal

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Have you ever watched smackdown

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

It definitely helped going in unspoiled. Every hand twitch! No character breaking! Fujita starts to move!!!!!!!!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's amazing to me that ddt will merely inevitably parody this instead of being the ones who originated the concept and used it for themselves

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Coaaab posted:

It's amazing to me that ddt will merely inevitably parody this instead of being the ones who originated the concept and used it for themselves
I don't know if Takagi is booking for them yet or just the general manager but without knowing what promotion it was in, I think 100% of people would have said it was in DDT.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I can totally see NOAH using some DDT booking for that match given it was empty arena

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all japan did it first to disastrous results at that tenryu show

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Daniel Bryan vs. Drew Gulak, Elimination Chamber

This ruled. Great technical storytelling, and Michael Cole even did (pretty) well on commentary in getting it over. This could very easily be the best match on the main roster all year.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC - Go Shiozaki (c) vs Kazuyuki Fujita for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH 20th Anniversary - NOAH The Chronicle (3/29)

Absolutely insane and surreal match that you owe it to yourself to watch unspoiled. From the THIRTY MINUTE staredown that opened to the match to the five minute headlock, to Fujita chugging loving hand sanitizer to the tour of Korakuen Hall to Fujita repeatedly kicking Go right in the head to Go repeatedly clotheslining him into defeat with two minutes left on the clock

It was a very special match and I'm not sure we'll see anything like it again.

NTH

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:agreed:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gonna be real with y'all. Wish the staredown lasted longer.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It rules in an abstract arthouse sort of way, but drat is it boring to watch and I definitely skipped ahead to when the match actually starts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

It rules in an abstract arthouse sort of way, but drat is it boring to watch and I definitely skipped ahead to when the match actually starts.

Coward

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm not really sure where I stand on the Shiozaki/Fujita match, to be honest. On the one hand it was definitely interesting and different, but on the other hand I'm a complete philistine who prefers action in my pro graps.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Feels like anything I recommend is going to pale in comparison to that last match but here's a match you could watch twice during that opening staredown for a nice contrast in terms of pacing. It's just as brutal though.

MOTYC - Arisa Nakajima (c) vs. Rina Yamashita for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG New Leaf! (3/10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqAcjsq--ao

This, on the other hand, unequivocally owned hard. Nthing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rarity posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm not really sure where I stand on the Shiozaki/Fujita match, to be honest.

Both of these points for me. I thought the staredown was kind of funny but also skipped to the actual start. Didn't think the match itself was that remarkable and had way too many shots to the head. Especially the repeated kicks. No thanks.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Ishii vs. Takagi, New Japan Road 2/20

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
As a recommendation, I finally caught up on Lucha Underground s4 because it's free on Tubi. Ultima Lucha Cuatro has a Matanza/Johnny Mundo match that is incredibly fun. Just distilled Lucha Underground. That probably should've been the series finale, it would've been a good way to end.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

People who skip the staredown are the same sorts of people who would create an only fight scenes version of Jean Claude Van Dam's Bloodsport

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

:hai:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

NienNunb posted:

looking forward to the version where someone makes the first move on the opponent at the 59th minute, so it goes to a draw. which is resolved by a 2/3 falls no-time-limit contest

in front of a packed sumo hall on the anniversary of that 80s riot in new japan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

RealFoxy posted:

I don't know if Takagi is booking for them yet or just the general manager but without knowing what promotion it was in, I think 100% of people would have said it was in DDT.

I've heard nothing to suggest that they've replaced NOSAWA Rongai as booker. It's generally accepted that he's been doing a good job in the role.

HM
29/3
Pro Wrestling NOAH
GHC National Championship
Takashi Sugiura vs Minoru Tanaka

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC - Go Shiozaki (c) vs Kazuyuki Fujita for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH 20th Anniversary - NOAH The Chronicle (3/29)

Nth.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
When Cyberagent bought NOAH and Takagi was appointed as NOAH President he explicitly said that he'd never take control of the wrestling side and that he'd let Marufuji and the top end of the NOAH side decide how they'd go with that. Considering that business-wise they've done perfectly fine with NOSAWA as booker (the monthly shows are stable, and they managed to put 5,000 people in Sumo Hall so its a good base to grow from) so I don't think they are hurrying to shift away from him. Still not signed to them though so they also aren't committing long term to him.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If we had this plague before CyberAgent bought NOAH, I guarantee Go/Fujita would have gone exactly the same way

This wasn't a DDT thing. This was war

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Angel de Oro, Niebla Roja, & Titan vs. Cuartrero, Forastero, & Sanson (c), Mexican National Trios, FantasticaMania 1/20
HM: Barbaro Cavernario vs. Caristico (c), NWA World Middleweight, FantasticaMania 1/20
HN: EVIL, Shingo Takagi, & Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay, & YOSHI-HASHI, Manabu Nakanishi Retirement Show 2/22
MOTYC: Hirooki Goto, Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, & Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Yuji Nagata, & Manabu Nakanishi, Manabu Nakanishi Retirement Show 2/22

I am caught up on this year's New Japan, which I didn't think I'd get to do even with the pandemic.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
just realised that I haven't nominated anything this year; time to solve that

MOTYC:
Miyu Yamashita vs Yuka Sakazaki, TJPW, 4th January
Natsumi Maki vs Sareee, TJPW, 4th January
Yuu vs Kaho Kobayashi, OZ Academy, 5th January
Mayu Iwatani vs Momo Watanabe, Stardom, 19th January
Arisa Nakajima vs Yoshiko, SEAdLINNNG, 24th January
Jungle Kyona + Momo Watanabe vs Mayu Iwatani + Kagetsu, Stardom, 26th January
HARASHIMA vs Masato Tanaka, DDT, 26th January
Mayu Iwatani vs Takumi Iroha, Stardom, 8th February
MAO vs Masato Tanaka, DDT, 23rd February
Aja Kong/Hiroyo Matsumoto vs Mayumi Ozaki/Saori Anou, Plasma Bat Death Match, Zero-1/Super Fireworks Wrestling, 24th February
Kagetsu vs Meiko Satomura, Kagetsu Retirement Show, 24th February
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Syuri, Sendai Girls, 8th March
Suzu Suzuki vs Tsukasa Fujimoto, Ice Ribbon, 14th March
Maya Yuhiki vs Hiragi Kurumi, Ice Ribbon, 14th March
Kento Miyahara vs Suwama, AJPW, 23rd March
Daisuke Harada vs Yoshinari Ogawa, NOAH, 29th March

HM:
Daisuke Sasaki + Soma Takao vs Naomi Yoshimura + Yuki Ueno, DDT, 3rd January
Hikaru Sato vs Susumu Yokosuka, AJPW, 3rd January
Maki Itoh vs Hikari Noa, TJPW, 4th January
Saki Akai vs Rina Yamashita, DDT, 12th January
Sareee vs Yoshiko, Diana, 8th February
Kagetsu vs Miyuki Takase, YMZ, 9th February
Chihiro Hashimoto vs Kagetsu, Sendai Girls, 16th February
Kagetsu vs Maika, JTO, 18th February
Bea Priestley + Jamie Hayter vs Momo Watanabe + Utami Hayashishita, Stardom NO PEOPLE GATE, 8th March
Mayu Iwatani vs Saki Kashima, Stardom NO PEOPLE GATE, 8th March
Mayumi Ozaki + Saori Anou vs Ibuki Hoshi + Yoshiko, OZ Academy, 8th March
Thekla vs Madeline, Ice Ribbon, 20th March
Haruka Umesaki vs Yurika Oka, Sendai Girls, 28th March
Mei Hoshizuki vs Maria, Sendai Girls, 28th March

I would normally write what I like about all of these but that would be a book so I'll avoid doing that. Will point out that the Takumi Iroha/Mayu Iwatani match is up there on my Match of the Year list and is worth a watch (here); the Suzu Suzuki-Tsukasa Fujimoto Ice Ribbon match is also very good and something of a career match for Suzu who is shockingly good considering her age and experience level. Probably forgotten a lot but I can add to this later on!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm going to 2nd IceAceComing's nomination for

MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto (c) vs. Syuri for the Sendai Girls World Championship - Sendai Girls Remember the Day (3/8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agOCgxYdBcE

I predicted Syuri would have a big year this down and she hasn't been letting me down.

Also going to add

HM: Mei Suruga vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto - Gatoh Move Day of Happiness (3/20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8yUT-m-VSA

Rarity posted:

Going into the match knowing it's thirty minutes of staring ruins the effect and why I put that part in spoilers. Every single movement potentially being the moment where someone breaks and makes the first move is what made it tense and compelling. If you lose that you might as well skip to the match.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 31, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto - Gatoh Move Day of Happiness (3/20)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Mei Suruga vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto - Gatoh Move Day of Happiness (3/20)

Are you downgrading your MOTY nomination?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oh I didn't realise I already posted it haha. Yeah it's probably an HM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Easily enough handled! :)

Edit: Also, thanks IceAgeComing, Hikaru Sato vs. Susumu Yokosuka made the HM list thanks to your vote!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Not being one who keeps track of a ton of promotions I only just now saw that Shiozaki/Fujita match and even though a MOTYC is at this point long redundant I'm gonna give it one anyway just for formality because that was a loving wild ride from start to finish. I think being in an empty arena definitely made it work way better than it otherwise would have.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Jordan Devlin vs. Tyler Bate, NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool II (1/12)

Unnecessary but it's got to be the highlight of this show.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

TriffTshngo posted:

Not being one who keeps track of a ton of promotions I only just now saw that Shiozaki/Fujita match and even though a MOTYC is at this point long redundant I'm gonna give it one anyway just for formality because that was a loving wild ride from start to finish. I think being in an empty arena definitely made it work way better than it otherwise would have.

N. The "actual wrestling" sections were pretty ordinary but the audacity of the match structure and the execution of the stare-down part elevates it

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HM: Trent vs. Kenny Omega - AEW Dynamite 4/1

Trent is really good in singles matches y'all

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

HM: Trent vs. Kenny Omega - AEW Dynamite 4/1

Trent is really good in singles matches y'all

nth

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005