Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Alyx is about what I expected so far, looks good, runs well. I've never actually played a Half life before but this is pretty good so far. Grabbing and stowing ammo feels real nice.

I did get stuck in that one area with all the codes on the wall, I felt super dumb once I worked out what I was meant to do lol.

Kinda funny that the answer to "how do we follow up a series that's known for introducing genre definging leap forwards in tech and design" turned out to be "be the only company in the world with a compelling reason to spend AAA money on a VR exclusive title".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I had this happen and the only thing I found online about it said that it was a USB issue. I switched the Link to one of the USB controller ports on the back of my PC and the issue seemingly went away. That said, I haven't played long enough to really notice and any other googling doesn't really lead to any other solutions

Wow, this seems to have worked. Switched to a different port on my mobo. Just played for over an hour with no issues, hopefully it lasts.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I discovered my Index headset's passthrough cameras don't work. When I run the test from the SteamVR settings it says it can't communicate. I tried using every other USB port on my mobo but this is the only one that (sort of) works. What's weird is if I open the Windows 10 camera app I can see the cameras video feed, so I know it works. God damned USB...

SCheeseman posted:

I think you're running the old version, which is broken on more recent versions of SteamVR. Use this fork instead: https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

This fixed the advanced settings problem. Thanks!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

I discovered my Index headset's passthrough cameras don't work. When I run the test from the SteamVR settings it says it can't communicate. I tried using every other USB port on my mobo but this is the only one that (sort of) works. What's weird is if I open the Windows 10 camera app I can see the cameras video feed, so I know it works. God damned USB...

Mine just started working for the first time out of the blue after updating the HMD before loading up HL:A.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Played 2 or 3 hours of Alyx and yeah this is gonna be the standard all future big budget VR games are held to. While I do prefer having the fidelity of H3VR's controls and Boneworks' movement, I can't argue that this isn't the most polished, smoothest experience I've ever had in VR. Immediately makes a great impression and I can't wait to see what happens as the game goes on.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Played 2 or 3 hours of Alyx and yeah this is gonna be the standard all future big budget VR games are held to. While I do prefer having the fidelity of H3VR's controls and Boneworks' movement, I can't argue that this isn't the most polished, smoothest experience I've ever had in VR. Immediately makes a great impression and I can't wait to see what happens as the game goes on.

Filing cabinets. Open every single one.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I refuse to use health stations because I don't want to kill those cute little grubs :(

I also tried the GTA5 VR mod today and even though it's a bit of a vomit comet especially on motorcycles, goddamn is it everything I want out of a VR GTA5 (sans hand tracking). Driving through San Andreas in a convertible watching the day go by is just so cool

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Songbearer posted:

I refuse to use health stations because I don't want to kill those cute little grubs :(

I also tried the GTA5 VR mod today and even though it's a bit of a vomit comet especially on motorcycles, goddamn is it everything I want out of a VR GTA5 (sans hand tracking). Driving through San Andreas in a convertible watching the day go by is just so cool

There is some mod that includes hand tracking, but I think it might require VorpX to work. I've been meaning to try it out.

There's also a mod that makes GTA V work with force feedback wheels and I really need to play around with that in VR at some point. Playing racing games with a decent wheel is already really fun, but having the entire GTA map to cruise around in sounds amazing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Songbearer posted:

Barney is probably coming through afterwards and smushin all those grubs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

El Grillo posted:

^^was literally just going to ask if anyone had played and had a review, thanks.

I can't remember how the third one's puzzles were... are you saying it's a good thing or bad thing that TRVR's are similar in quality?

I said it as a good thing, I found TR3 puzzles a bit more inter-locked, like the gears of a single big metaphorical puzzle.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
The Room VR was a really cool experience, the game series is a perfect fit for VR. Yeah it's a bit expensive for it's length, but in this case I'm happy to support a good VR game in the hopes that they make more in the future.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Catpain Slack posted:

The Room VR was a really cool experience, the game series is a perfect fit for VR. Yeah it's a bit expensive for it's length, but in this case I'm happy to support a good VR game in the hopes that they make more in the future.

I'm playing through it a bit now, and I really love the Zork-style little cutscenes of ghost of people engaging with the same puzzles :allears:. I wish the Index control scheme wasn't just (I'm assuming) the same as the Oculus one and let you use your fingers, but I can at least see why it is how it is to ensure things work right on the puzzles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Hope you really enjoy sewers. Like, a lot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steam has updated the VR stats, more devices appears with their own names.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm in the same boat. Some people say they fixed it by changing their "Camera Privacy Settings" in Windows but that didn't work for me. I can get the cameras to show up in Windows camera app too but sometimes it gives an error saying that another program is conflicting/has access to the camera. I wonder if some program on my computer is calling "dibs" on the camera before SteamVR can claim it...I dunno.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

I have a hard time believing that approximately the same number of people are using Oculus Link as are hooking PSVRs up to their PCs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoom posted:

I have a hard time believing that approximately the same number of people are using Oculus Link as are hooking PSVRs up to their PCs.

It surprised me that DK2 is still three times more popular than Quest!
edit: a note, I usually have mine disconnected, and only connect it to pc to play specific games, this could affect the stats? if when they poll your computer, the device isn't there.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Could it be firmware based? Maybe only a certain version of Quest firmware over Link reports itself as a Quest, otherwise it pretends to be a Rift S? I know v15 is still rolling out and I haven't got it yet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit upset that the Cosmos is like 12 times more popular than the Pimax. I got the Index controllers in the mail today and they're pretty great but I agree with some other people here that said CV1 Touch is still the best of all time. Alas for PC the Pimax with Index controllers might be the best overall combo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

I'm a bit upset that the Cosmos is like 12 times more popular than the Pimax. I got the Index controllers in the mail today and they're pretty great but I agree with some other people here that said CV1 Touch is still the best of all time. Alas for PC the Pimax with Index controllers might be the best overall combo.

That's not really surprising considering the Cosmos actually has marketing and retail presence.

edit: Found something with The Room that it doesn't tell you; I don't know what the equivalent would be on other controllers, but you can instantly switch the Lens off and on by tapping the Trackpad on an Index controller rather than going into your inventory to flick the little lever.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 31, 2020

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Thoom posted:

To be fair I don't think we have any real idea of how many people are using Link. And then the number of people using Steam with Link will probably be a lot less than that given it's (marginally) simpler to buy and run stuff through Oculus Home (and there is some cross-buy as well).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The last Steam hardware survey asked me to participate, so I plugged in my Rift S, let it scan, and it showed my computer as having no VR headset connected. I tried to restart the process by backing out but there was no option to rescan.

So I take those numbers with a big grain of salt.

Also, I imagine Quest users are much less likely to leave their headset plugged into the computer all the time since it's mainly a standalone headset.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

Go Rift S! It’s a great headset.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like Facebook doesn't like Apple competing with them to get AR glasses first. Apple was keying up to buy out a company making AR display mLED's called Plessey, until Facebook just snatched up exclusive licensing with them to help develop THEIR XR headsets instead. The only reason they didn't just buy Plessey was to avoid regulator scrutiny.

I hadn't actually heard of microLED's before this, so I'm curious to see how a headset with them will look.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Somebody probably mentioned it already but Quest firmware v15 adds on demand passthrough.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
+1 for The Room VR, expensive but it looks and plays great, so, you know, a good VR game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Somebody probably mentioned it already but Quest firmware v15 adds on demand passthrough.

It was mentioned, though we still couldn't try it for ourselves, most people are still waiting for it. Did you receive it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like Facebook doesn't like Apple competing with them to get AR glasses first. Apple was keying up to buy out a company making AR display mLED's called Plessey, until Facebook just snatched up exclusive licensing with them to help develop THEIR XR headsets instead. The only reason they didn't just buy Plessey was to avoid regulator scrutiny.

I hadn't actually heard of microLED's before this, so I'm curious to see how a headset with them will look.

It's these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PqMQobkUhg

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

It was mentioned, though we still couldn't try it for ourselves, most people are still waiting for it. Did you receive it?

Not yet, though tapping on the side of my HMD doesn't exactly seem like something I want to do while wearing it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hate tapping the headset as an input for anything.

Why yes I do want to smack this crazy expensive box filled with precision optics, screens and sensors. Harder and harder until it works.

:toughguy:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

It surprised me that DK2 is still three times more popular than Quest!
edit: a note, I usually have mine disconnected, and only connect it to pc to play specific games, this could affect the stats? if when they poll your computer, the device isn't there.

Yeah, I don't know a single quest user out of my friend group (anecdotal I know) that doesn't do it that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone tried this HL1 VR mod yet? https://www.halflifevr.de/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I doubt they're able to count people who use VD/ALVR with the Quest either.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lies Beneath first 30 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KOxD9eBUYE

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my thumb to rest naturally on the trackpad rather than around the side of the grip with the index controllers. It makes it very awkward to use for a lot of stuff. Anyone else have this issue?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Walrus posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my thumb to rest naturally on the trackpad rather than around the side of the grip with the index controllers. It makes it very awkward to use for a lot of stuff. Anyone else have this issue?

How are you holding it? I don't have any issues getting my thumb to rest on the trackpad. Have you adjusted the strap? It can move left and right.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The Walrus posted:

My thumb doesn't rest correctly on the trackpad unless I have it on the bottom most strap setting. That's pretty much all you can do, but I do think there are 3D printer blueprints for handle inserts as well

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jack Trades posted:

Hope you really enjoy sewers. Like, a lot.

Buddy have you ever met a goon?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yztbemRNRYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Buddy have you ever met a goon?

Buddy, I used to work at a sewage treatment plant, I was born for this poo poo