Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

This is really great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This lab took from mid January to develop and scan my E6. Now I gotta pick it up and rescan it myself. Can't wait until I can get the chems myself in Australia.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Megabound posted:

This lab took from mid January to develop and scan my E6. Now I gotta pick it up and rescan it myself. Can't wait until I can get the chems myself in Australia.

I've been doing E6 myself in NZ for a while and other than the cost of importing the chemicals from the US I haven't noticed it being any harder or less consistent than C41.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

I've been doing E6 myself in NZ for a while and other than the cost of importing the chemicals from the US I haven't noticed it being any harder or less consistent than C41.

I usually get my chems from a local supplier who haven't been able to import E6 for a long time, I'm not concerned about the process. Where do you import from?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tk posted:

Yes!

Eh.

Yes.

Sign or whatever on the bottom looks too much like a taskbar for me to be able to enjoy the rest of the picture.

FWIW, I love the taskbar sign. I love any photo that makes my brain do a double-take trying to puzzle it out.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Megabound posted:

I usually get my chems from a local supplier who haven't been able to import E6 for a long time, I'm not concerned about the process. Where do you import from?

Film photography project is the only place I've found who will ship it. It's a liquid kit so the shipping is pretty expensive, so I usually order a few other things (film etc.) at the same time and the chems last me ~6 months. One benefit of shooting 4x5 is that I spend a lot more time and effort on my images, which means I don't take so many and my chems last longer than if I were spamming 35mm.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

Film photography project is the only place I've found who will ship it. It's a liquid kit so the shipping is pretty expensive, so I usually order a few other things (film etc.) at the same time and the chems last me ~6 months. One benefit of shooting 4x5 is that I spend a lot more time and effort on my images, which means I don't take so many and my chems last longer than if I were spamming 35mm.

Cool, I'll check that out. Yeah, I only shoot Medium format and E6 would be a fraction of my output, and I use a view camera for that so I only shoot like 2 rolls a month so I'd expect it to last a good long time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i like these both a lot. they're a bit big though, i can't fit the entirety of either on my monitor even fullscreened

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I like the way that the sky reflecting in the glass balconies makes it look like a trellis with nothing behind it. Very surreal.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I feel like this multi-exposure merge is overcooked, but I liked the subject and it was even more garish and CG-looking before the saturation, color balance, and curves adjustment layer masking.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I feel like this multi-exposure merge is overcooked, but I liked the subject and it was even more garish and CG-looking before the saturation, color balance, and curves adjustment layer masking.

I don't feel like it is overcooked at all. I think the processing works well

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Helen Highwater posted:

I like the way that the sky reflecting in the glass balconies makes it look like a trellis with nothing behind it. Very surreal.

Thank you, yeah that's the main reason I took the photo those reflections combined with the repeating structure is a pleasing mind teaser.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Atlatl posted:

Just for a little bit, wound up on an impromptu dive trip instead of going to Austria. Feels good though.

Nice! I just came back from a trip to Guam, but visibility wasn't as stellar as you seem to have had.

But I did get some shots with an underwater graveyard-vibe.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah, you mostly need to get outside the harbor or farther away from the sandy areas to get a lot of clarity.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Atlatl posted:

Yeah, you mostly need to get outside the harbor or farther away from the sandy areas to get a lot of clarity.

sweet subnautica screenshots

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I bought a 35mm camera not long ago and I've been trying out photography for the first time. Took a few photos while I was visiting my old college. Feedback appreciated; I just got these back from development/scanning.

Not sure how I feel about the last one but I'm not sure why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first one is a cool spot but you should go back and spend time getting the camera perfectly straight, geometric shots like that rely on perfection. Second one has less potential but it has the same problem, everything is crooked. As shot it might work better if you had a person leaning on the railing up there.

Third one really isn't anything I have an interest in but it looks well executed. The contrast really bugs me, I personally am not a fan of crushed blacks, but some people do like it so don't take it to heart. It might be cooler if the person in the background was visible in profile, everything in the scene kind of leads the eye to that area but the person is not as readily visible as they should be. Maybe crop off some of the foliage on the right too.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Agree that the first one has the most potential. The third one would have been better at a different time of day or had it been overcast, unless you're bracketing exposures and then doing HDR (which has it's own caveats) you're not likely to capture both the shadows and the highlights in a bright midday scene like that with harsh light and pitch black shadows.

Recently when I've been setting up a shot I've been trying to think:

1: What is my subject
2: How am I going to direct people's attention towards the subject
3: How can I make the scene 'balanced' (e.g. no huge open area with bo detail)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ll say that I like the first one best. And while the alignment is a little off it still looks cool. It’s well exposed; you get the shadow detail in the foreground balanced with the lighter areas behind it.

This is why I love film for scenes like these. I’m still trying to fine-tune how to emulate that sort of tonal range with digital photos, especially in low light.

Agree with the others that the third one is kind of lacking in composition. Plus there is a lot of detail lost in the shadows due to scene contrast. This is kind of inevitable in broad daylight, especially with consumer color negative film. That’s why I get a weird itch to go out shooting when it’s a beautiful soft light party-cloudy day; film images made around the blue light hours early in the day or golden hour just before sunset on those days have wonderful tonality, especially on a higher-end film stock like Portra. Try it out sometime.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_7830.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for the feedback all! Really helpful and informative :) As a newbie I guess I hadn't stopped to consider that even if the weather isn't something I want to spotlight, it's still going to be there influencing the photo, for better or worse. I've started paying attention to the idea that an image or a scene might catch my eye but that I might want to hold onto it for better lighting conditions. Also trying to hold my camera straighter.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Cephas posted:

Also trying to hold my camera straighter.

Not that you shouldn't try to get it right when shooting, but you can usually fix this in post pretty easily if your shot isn't super wonky.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cephas posted:

Thanks for the feedback all! Really helpful and informative :) As a newbie I guess I hadn't stopped to consider that even if the weather isn't something I want to spotlight, it's still going to be there influencing the photo, for better or worse. I've started paying attention to the idea that an image or a scene might catch my eye but that I might want to hold onto it for better lighting conditions. Also trying to hold my camera straighter.

Also try out black and white film if you want something that arguably works better with high-contrast outdoor structural scenes.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Getting antsy that the only thing I can shoot it either my local neighbourhood or inside the apartment. What's everyone doing to keep their photography going during lockdown?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

Getting antsy that the only thing I can shoot it either my local neighbourhood or inside the apartment. What's everyone doing to keep their photography going during lockdown?

-photographing the neighborhood
-~~~macro~~~
-looking for new gear on ebay

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm watching youtube photographers talk about what to photograph while quarantined. Dark times indeed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm watching youtube photographers talk about what to photograph while quarantined. Dark times indeed.

Their growing family I guess?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

"Find some sunlight, and underexpose two stops!"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Morning View by B. B., on Flickr

Pikes Peak by B. B., on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's pretty good given the context..but I think next year, a picture like that is meaningless!.
This is not meant as a criticism of your shot, but more how important context of the time period often is!.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I don't think I did it real justice. I need to go back with a tripod, and my view camera with some black and white, or just some faster film, but as photographers we've been presented an opportunity to capture some high strangeness and have our output viewed in a pervasive global context.

Def not the best thing I've ever shot, or even passably competent, but given the times it's got a bit more worth to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004