Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

He can change shape into anything he wants (including growing and shrinking) and he's indestructible.

To add to that, he's functionally immortal, immune to telepathy, and can give himself super strength whenever he wants. He has literally been torn apart into the equivalent of crumbs, spread out across the ocean floor, and been left there for 3000 years to rot.

He was physically unharmed.

Mentally is another story, of course, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

He can change shape into anything he wants (including growing and shrinking) and he's indestructible.

Matter-Eater Lad could eat him :colbert:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
But at what cost...?

(Superboy/Legion of Superheroes #251)

Edit: May I add, from 1985's Legion of Substitute Heroes Special #1:

And from Legion of Superheroes v.4 #49, his in-universe set of trading cards:

Matter Eater Lad is the best and deciding to read through the LoSH comics has been a blessing in these troubled times.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 31, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

Matter Eater Lad is the best and deciding to read through the LoSH comics has been a blessing in these troubled times.

Boy howdy, did I need to reread that panel twice!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

But at what cost...?

:laffo: this is exactly the kind of poo poo that you explain to your friend who doesn't read American printed cartoons and they think you're just making them up. Kind of like how if you explain any plot point in Metal Gear games to a normal person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basically the thing about Plastic Man is that he isn't a shapeshifter, he's a cartoon character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

But at what cost...?

More proof that the LOSH is the best comic ever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tommy Monaghan lookin' fucker, Matter-Eater Lad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #2 (1940)

Strange Tales #48 (1956)

Spidey Super Stories #16 (1976)

Marvel Premiere #51 (1979)

Garfield #1 (2012)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Garf gonna eat Odie.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's a reason Odie's original owner Lyman hasn't been seen in years.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Garfield's right about raisins, though.

My theory is that raisins are a joke some dad played on his kids, and then he died without telling them it was a joke, and thus they spent their entire lives thinking raisins were actually food and taught it to THEIR children.

Raisins: the dad joke that got out of hand

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kengan Omega Chapter 56

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

thetoughestbean posted:

Kengan Omega Chapter 56

That last panel is just so good for so many situations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
monthly girls nozaki-kun follows a group of high schoolers who make a shojo manga, and their friends. the person in the second panel is the writer

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

site posted:

monthly girls nozaki-kun follows a group of high schoolers who make a shojo manga, and their friends. the person in the second panel is the writer

That's very good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

This is how I feel about Taskmaster.

Edit: As a followup, from CITY vol.2: in this scene the editor of a long-running gag manga, Mr. Bummer, goes to pick up the final chapter from the artist.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 2, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

thetoughestbean posted:

Kengan Omega Chapter 56

Is this where wrestler Kenny Omega got his name? I’m half serious.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Considering that Kengan Omega only started last year as a sequel to Kengan Asura, I'm gonna say "probably not".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried really hard to come up with a Kenny Omega joke and couldn't.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no, he got it from final fantasy.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

no, he got it from final fantasy.

If you KO him, is all you get a certificate that says you won?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got back into wrestling last year with Orange Cassidy and then AEW. Was it always this dorky and I just didn't notice it in the 90s and early 00s? I definitely don't remember aliens from Andromeda and magical school girls and commentators making Star Trek references when Sting was using a bat to beat up the NWA.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Dorohedoro (great manga that has a great anime that is finished airing but should be hitting non-Japan Netflix eventually)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uthor posted:

I got back into wrestling last year with Orange Cassidy and then AEW. Was it always this dorky and I just didn't notice it in the 90s and early 00s? I definitely don't remember aliens from Andromeda and magical school girls and commentators making Star Trek references when Sting was using a bat to beat up the NWA.
one of the biggest wrestlers of the entire 90s was a necromancer controlled via phylactery who couldn't feel pain because he was also undead.
of the nwo, sting was a surfer who was betrayed by his friends so he started dressing in all black and hanging out in the rafters to be like the crow because he couldn't trust anybody anymore, and scott hall put on a fake cuban accent to pretend to be scarface.
there were aliens and mutant turtles and witch doctors, and a few times robocop was there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

K, I was just clueless!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kurui Reiten posted:

To add to that, he's functionally immortal, immune to telepathy, and can give himself super strength whenever he wants. He has literally been torn apart into the equivalent of crumbs, spread out across the ocean floor, and been left there for 3000 years to rot.

He was physically unharmed.

Mentally is another story, of course, but still.

Never forget:

Batman is afraid of him.

Batman.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

one of the biggest wrestlers of the entire 90s was a necromancer controlled via phylactery who couldn't feel pain because he was also undead.
of the nwo, sting was a surfer who was betrayed by his friends so he started dressing in all black and hanging out in the rafters to be like the crow because he couldn't trust anybody anymore, and scott hall put on a fake cuban accent to pretend to be scarface.
there were aliens and mutant turtles and witch doctors, and a few times robocop was there.

Don't forget Col Sanders wrestling A Chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad6GqK5_4yU

80s WWF was basically a cast of 'Stereotype/Caricature The Wrestler' and it was pretty great. :allears:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Also, chucky made appearances, as did such serious characters as Gobbledygooker, the giant turkey man, and Mantaur, a minotaur man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

wait why did i forget about the dungeon of doom, a campy group dedicated to ruining hulk hogan that succeeded in turning him evil by shaving his moustache directly leading into him joining the nwo but not before rolling through their cast of characters including a man who could only say yes or no, a yeti, and the son of andre the giant who then had a wrestling match with hogan in matching monster trucks on a rooftop.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

wait why did i forget about the dungeon of doom, a campy group dedicated to ruining hulk hogan that succeeded in turning him evil by shaving his moustache directly leading into him joining the nwo but not before rolling through their cast of characters including a man who could only say yes or no, a yeti, and the son of andre the giant who then had a wrestling match with hogan in matching monster trucks on a rooftop.

i think you are having a seizure. call 911 immediately.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Meng, who was given a golden spike for his sins

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

One of the greatest wrestling matches of all time was when the necromantic lich fought a lunatic who lived in a boiler room, and nearly killed him by throwing him thirteen-odd feet through a chain link fence panel

E: also wrestling in the WWF around when the necromantic lich was introduced:

A cop
A very very rich guy
A tax collector
A meat snack mascot with a loving wild hat and sunglasses

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 3, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When I saw that manga page I thought I saw Kenny Omega’s name for a second.

Wrestlers these days are especially dorky because they grew up on the same nerd stuff as we did, and they’re just more well adjusted than the old crop of washed up bouncers and football players. AEW isn’t run by a 75 year old psychopath, so they get to just be a fun wrestling company.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Guardians of the Galaxy #12: Rocket Raccoon is in recovery after nearly dying on his last adventure

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phy posted:

One of the greatest wrestling matches of all time was when the necromantic lich fought a lunatic who lived in a boiler room, and nearly killed him by throwing him thirteen-odd feet through a chain link fence panel

BAH GAWD HE'S BROKEN IN HALF. THAT MAN IS DEAD! THAT MAN IS DEAD!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

BAH GAWD HE'S BROKEN IN HALF. THAT MAN IS DEAD! THAT MAN IS DEAD!

To be fair, I'm surprised that man wasn't dead.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like those are less comics panels and more examples of fetishes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go beat the ostrich skeleton.