Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With sashas history of concussions and injuries I wouldn’t count on her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

So of all the WWE guys who are constantly “on the verge of leaving” like Rusev, Sasha, The Revival, etc., who has the highest ceiling if they bounce to, say, AEW or NJPW?

I feel like I always see people here and otherwise saying “oh man, just wait until the Revival show up in AEW, they’ll be AMAZING!” Which might be true, but after an initial push of “oh poo poo, these dudes are here!,” do they have a ceiling of “another tag team” or are they total diamonds in the rough that will explode in popularity/talent (similar to Juice Robinson going from a nobody CJ Parker to his moderate upper-midcard success in NJPW now)?

Or, if Sasha goes to AEW, do you see her as a potential new ace for the Women’s Division, or nah?

I'm bored of Sasha, to be honest with you. Like, I recognise her talent but she feels fundamentally stale. I'd be significantly more excited at the thought of AEW getting Nicki Cross, or any of the NXT UK women's wrestlers.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

davidbix posted:

Has anyone ever figured out who Fake Mike Tenay is?

Discogs says it's someone named David Russo, who has also used a fuckton of other aliases.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So of all the WWE guys who are constantly “on the verge of leaving” like Rusev, Sasha, The Revival, etc., who has the highest ceiling if they bounce to, say, AEW or NJPW?

I feel like I always see people here and otherwise saying “oh man, just wait until the Revival show up in AEW, they’ll be AMAZING!” Which might be true, but after an initial push of “oh poo poo, these dudes are here!,” do they have a ceiling of “another tag team” or are they total diamonds in the rough that will explode in popularity/talent (similar to Juice Robinson going from a nobody CJ Parker to his moderate upper-midcard success in NJPW now)?

Or, if Sasha goes to AEW, do you see her as a potential new ace for the Women’s Division, or nah?

I mean The Revival showed themselves as a really excellent tag team in developmental and their matches with American Alpha are generally regarded as among the best US tag team series this century. Which I'll grant you isn't exactly a field overflowing with contenders outwith maybe The Briscoes vs Steenerico, and some Bucks rivalries and the Machine Guns against Beer Money. Still.

I think they might get a little lost in the shuffle of AEW though. There's a lot of good tag teams there, considerably more flashy and without the whole "being spite booked into oblivion" thing The Revival had to endure. But they could be solid bases and certainly wouldn't be shocked with them having a run with the tag titles.

Rusev seems like someone who could be good in a G1 but I'm not sure he'd ultimately get above US title level. He's very charismatic and the idea of a series with Ishii is exciting but it's not instantly obvious how he'd do outwith the WWE. But he'd not be the first big guy to go from the WWE to a decent run in Japan.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the revival has been building a feud with the bucks for like 3 years and the matches would deliver and the bucks would make sure they got over so they'd have the softest landing

rusev is probably the best talent among these but aew and njpw are lousy with great underutilized talent so i dunno are those promotions gonna give him shine over juice or adam page?

maybe sasha would get aew to develop more than just a single woman at a time but i'm pessimistic. would be fascinated to see if bushiroad would have any interest like they do with io and kairi. it didnt seem like they were gonna be pushing stardom as much as njpw internationally but they keep doing these youtube shows so

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Revival definitely have the highest floor because there is very little chance the Bucks feud doesn't get over and produce some great matches just out of sheer willpower. They'd have a nice spot after that.

Sasha probably has the highest ceiling because AEW needs that American babyface star for the women's division, but with her injury history maybe the highest likelihood of doing nothing.

Rusev feels like he's in the middle, he seems like he's a good wrestler but we've never really seen him wrestle at a high level, not that you can blame anyone in WWE. So he'd probably get a push in New Japan, and it feels like he'd live up to it, but it also seems like he could be very average.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I legit can't even picture Sasha coming out to different entrance music.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Super No Vacancy posted:

would be fascinated to see if bushiroad would have any interest like they do with io and kairi. it didnt seem like they were gonna be pushing stardom as much as njpw internationally but they keep doing these youtube shows so

Their YouTube stuff is almost all aimed at the Japanese market: the weird stuff they've done with Taichi and Taguchi is for there; the TV show is uploaded on YouTube because they own it and the footage and since the matches are all six weeks old its good advertising and might encourage some Stardom World subs (and if some of those are foreign then great!); and they've stepped up classic matches recently to cover the gap.

I don't know if Sasha would fit in Stardom; my half-baked very unlikely scenario would be Sasha being based out of Sendai Girls and working the various Indies since I think she'd be very good at that but that isn't happening any time soon sadly. Her and DASH Chisako would have a hell of a match though...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk if you can put Chad Gable in the same bracket as Sasha/Rusev/FTR but he would absolutely be a huge star anywhere outside of WWE

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shorty G will never be a star his obituary will say shorty G

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sasha would instantly be the biggest women's star in AEW and it's dumb to claim otherwise

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Sasha would instantly be the biggest women's star in AEW and it's dumb to claim otherwise

for the 8 minutes she's on screen before injuring herself, sure

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

extradite THIS! posted:

Can the ”you people” kind of promo be traced to anyone in particular who’d have popularized it?

There were definitely high-profile examples before this, but I feel like people have frequently blamed promotions like WWE and TNA for trying to redo Chris Jericho's late 2000s heel character when it comes to this. Bonus points if they also start wearing suits and speaking slowly for no particular reason.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Alaois posted:

for the 8 minutes she's on screen before injuring herself, sure
she may be permanently wrecked but there’s a chance the AEW schedule would be way easier on her body. of course it won’t stop her from having the frame of a small bird and being addicted to landing on her neck from every angle so idk

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lamuella posted:

I'm bored of Sasha, to be honest with you. Like, I recognise her talent but she feels fundamentally stale. I'd be significantly more excited at the thought of AEW getting Nicki Cross, or any of the NXT UK women's wrestlers.

I feel like ember moon would be a good fit even if she needs a manager or something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

I feel like ember moon would be a good fit even if she needs a manager or something.

I forgot about Ember Moon :(

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
ember moon should have been main eventing wrestlemania last year instead of charlotte or ronda

like i realize that makes zero sense from a promotional perspective but i'm saying she should've been such a bigger star when she got called up than she was.

and also, gently caress charlotte and ronda

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ember Moon never being able to get a win over Asuka on NXT but then coming up to the main roster in pursuit of her own personal white whale could have been so much fun. :sigh:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

In the old Botachamania intros, what is, who I presume to bey Rey Fenix, saying at the 40 second mark? "Lu Cha Te"? Why is this considered to be a classic enough botch to be fit alongside classic blunders like Raja Lion and art donovan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2r95In4B6A&t=39s

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

In the old Botachamania intros, what is, who I presume to bey Rey Fenix, saying at the 40 second mark? "Lu Cha Te"? Why is this considered to be a classic enough botch to be fit alongside classic blunders like Raja Lion and art donovan?

first of all, that's Kalisto, and he's saying "Lucha Thing" from his famous "good lucha thing" promo after being drafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe6KX3pkA70

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

shadow puppet of a posted:

it's kalisto and it's from a really wonderfully bad interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr0QksXfL-8

transcript: like I said, I'm here to stay. make, make uh make a uh a good, good lucha-- lucha thing. *runs off yelling goddamnit*

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 31, 2020

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wonderful. Thank you.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
That was so loving adorable.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Has anyone ever done a tag match where each time has a limited number of tags?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Generico posted:

Has anyone ever done a tag match where each time has a limited number of tags?

You know what this is a concept I'd like to see experimented with and explored

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

That somehow sounds both extremely Russo-riffic but also like it has potential to be really creative and fun at the same time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Everyone share your shameful wrestling confessions and admissions

Here's mine: I liked big shows ecw title run. I thought he was booked as an effective monster and I looked forward to his matches to see who hed be booked against next

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Here's mine: I liked big shows ecw title run. I thought he was booked as an effective monster and I looked forward to his matches to see who hed be booked against next

At their first appearance, I loved Lo Down, the team of D-Lo Brown and Chaz. They were training partners, they wrestled in workout gear, they had some really good tag team moves, and they had a finisher where Chaz would suplex a guy, then D-Lo would frog splash him. I thought they were going to be the next big thing.

Then they gave them Tiger Ali Singh as a manager and made it all racist as hell for no reason.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I liked Mongo

Lex Luger was a perfectly fine wrestler until his body started breaking down in 98 or so, and he didn't fail in WWF, the WWF failed him. He was a bit of a draw with the Lex Express until that stupid Summerslam match ending. Lex is one of the poster boys of wrasslers screwed over by terrible booking decisions.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Did we ever get the story on why The Rock knew ahead of time that Bin Laden was dead?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Xerzes posted:

Did we ever get the story on why The Rock knew ahead of time that Bin Laden was dead?

It'll all be explained in Fast & Furious 10.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

I think Sasha could be an ace for AEW certainly. She's a terrific wrestler and has buckets of charisma.

I think the Revival will be a great heel team for someone to shine against. They'll never be massive, but they'll be popular enough to make their move worth it in the long term.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I think Revival in AEW are probably going to wind up having one or multiple of Longest Reign/Most Reigns/Longest Cumulative Time As Champions records with the tag titles. Fittingly, since they're basically a Brainbusters tribute act, they seem like they'd be best suited to holding the belts for long stretches as the company builds to a hot babyface team to take the titles, and then eventually winning them back either soon after or a bit down the line, a la old school NWA champs like Flair or Race.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OFFICER LIGER posted:

This is a fine admission. If WWECW didn't get stuck with that name it'd be looked at as what it was, a fun nationally televised developmental territory with a nice mix of veteran hands. Low stakes, 1 hour TV. When Vince McMahon feuding with Bobby Lashley over the ECW Title was probably the only time I've ever cared about something Lashley was involved with and mostly that was do-rag wearing Vince being incredibly fun.

Probably my shameful admission is something I've mentioned in the GOAT thread before: I have absolutely no problem separating what Chris Benoit did to his wife and kid from what he did in the ring despite the latter having a direct impact on the former.

I get why others don't want to or can't but anytime on my 90s rewatches Benoit appeared on ECW or WCW was something I look forward to.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Xerzes posted:

prolly super tight with barack

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I always liked Goldust.

bartok
May 10, 2006

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I thought Big Show's ECW title defense against Ric Flair was really fun.

Here's mine: Despite not being a Hulkamaniac growing up I was a huge fan of his friend/alleged lover Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. I think it helped that my only exposure to the guy until Wrestlemania IX was his matches on old Coliseum Home Videos and his talk show segment on WWF Challenge and Superstars. I stopped caring about Brutus when he turned heel in WCW and then eventually became face again as the Booty Man.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Batman’sBodyMassage’s Shameful Secret: My favorite wrestlers growing up were Ultimate Warrior, then Chris Benoit, and I still have a soft spot for both despite their INCREDIBLY PROBLEMATIC legacies. :smith:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

bartok posted:

I thought Big Show's ECW title defense against Ric Flair was really fun.

Here's mine: Despite not being a Hulkamaniac growing up I was a huge fan of his friend/alleged lover Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake. I think it helped that my only exposure to the guy until Wrestlemania IX was his matches on old Coliseum Home Videos and his talk show segment on WWF Challenge and Superstars. I stopped caring about Brutus when he turned heel in WCW and then eventually became face again as the Booty Man.

I loved Brother Bruti. I was so annoyed when Ron Bass cut his face up so he couldn't challenge Honky for the IC belt. I was sure he was the man to do it. I liked his high knee and the sleeper in WWF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My Most Shameful Wrestling Secret: I spent my whole life only watching major company US wrestling because 1) I'm a cheapass who has only watched free wrestling since I stopped getting PPVs when I was a teenager (until revolution) and 2) I find the language barrier inherit to lucha/NJPW almost insurmountable even with English commentary. I need to understand what the wrestlers are saying.