Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Network42 posted:

Someone give me some Bannerlord hot takes please.

Randy Pitchford sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fifteen of Many posted:

Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, I got it on PS3 via PS+ years ago but never played it. Is there any reason to get it for PC or are the ports pretty equivalent?

Dragon's Dogma tries to run at 60, but it really struggles in the crazier situations. Which includes "whenever a Sorceror casts a high level spell". On PC it runs smoothly, always, rather than at 10 frames.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Dragon's Dogma tries to run at 60, but it really struggles in the crazier situations. Which includes "whenever a Sorceror casts a high level spell". On PC it runs smoothly, always, rather than at 10 frames.

I miss the 10 fps sorcerer spells

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone know which of the Cities Skylines DLCs are worth getting?
I haven't played the latest one so I can't comment on that one but I'd say After Dark, Mass Transit, and Green Cities are the must-have DLCs. Parklife, Industries, and Campus are fine if you're looking for more nuance than just "plop zones down" but are skippable if you aren't interested. The only one I would definitely avoid is Snowfall.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Network42 posted:

Someone give me some Bannerlord hot takes please.

You currently cannot use a Banner as a weapon or play as a Banner. 0/10 - no wonder its in Early Access.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

PowerBeard posted:

You currently cannot use a Banner as a weapon or play as a Banner. 0/10 - no wonder its in Early Access.

But can you give orders to banners?

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Which Mount and Blade game should I pick up on the cheap from the Humble sale? Probably wouldn't do much multiplayer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

homeless posted:

Which Mount and Blade game should I pick up on the cheap from the Humble sale? Probably wouldn't do much multiplayer.

As I understand it, Warband is the classic experience. You don't need the expansions until you're a more experienced player.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Warband for sure. It's overall the best one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Xander77 posted:

It's like someone realized that long-form criticism videos that go on for several hours are popular right now, and cargo-culted the concept despite only having about 16 minutes worth of actual content. Terrible.

Dude has been threatening a 9 hour long comprehensive analysis of every single Witcher book and game.

quote:

Dragon's Dogma Stuff

I beelined for Warrior because two-handed hammers are my Thing. Though glancing at their skill tree it looks a bit underwhelming. But I'm still way early so who knows. Guess I'll fire titty elf. She was useful for taking the bite out of the early game, but she's not worth a quarter of my XP to keep around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

John Murdoch posted:

I beelined for Warrior because two-handed hammers are my Thing. Though glancing at their skill tree it looks a bit underwhelming. But I'm still way early so who knows. Guess I'll fire titty elf. She was useful for taking the bite out of the early game, but she's not worth a quarter of my XP to keep around.
Warriors are generally considered the weakest class in the game - not in terms of how they do in combat, necessarily, but in terms of how fun they are to play. Having only three skills to ever other classes' six makes a surprising difference. If the game starts to get old with that playstyle, I recommend just trying something else, it'll probably be more fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, that's what I picked up on quickly. I may trend back towards sword and board (or one of the red-adjacent dual classes) if only because I was impressed by how nasty you can get with it - not a lot of games let you just stab a motherfucker straight through with a sword.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Assassins might be your thing, then. They get access to most of the red and yellow skills (so most of Fighter and Strider) plus a bunch of really mean little things of their own. Pawns can't have that class, so it's one that you're never redundant on.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My current setup that works really well is my pawn is a bigass warrior with arc of deliverance, I usually get a strider, ranger, or fighter pawn for more dps, and a mage pawn. If you don't have High Halidom gtfo. I've been playing Mage/Sorcerer for most of my first thirty levels, but switched up to magic archer when I realized I could do it without leveling strider first, and it's really great. I think the most important thing is to just do whatever you find the most fun. If you love how sword and board feels, there's no reason not to just do that and round out your blindspots with a balanced party of pawns. I think back when I played the OG game on release on the 360 I just played strider the whole game because I didn't delve into vocations at all lol

RE: pawn management what I've been doing is grabbing a couple pawns at my current level, doing a quest or two until I gain a couple levels, then trading them in for new pawns at my current level. Occasionally favoriting really useful or cool pawns that I plan on picking back up once they've gained a few levels. Again though, it's one of those games that doesn't really punish you for doing something different so you can switch pawns in or out as much or as little as you see fit.

And honestly, if it's just not grabbing you, don't sweat it. It's a weird rear end game but it punches basically all the buttons I need it to and I am still holding out hope for a sequel that further refines the formula.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What's the class where you can set yourself on fire and somersault into monsters' faces? Because that one owns.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Party Boat posted:

What's the class where you can set yourself on fire and somersault into monsters' faces? Because that one owns.
Magick Archer, fun class, terrible stat gains unfortunatly.

Dargon´s Dogma is in my top five games list and I´d preorder a proper sequel in a goddamn heartbeat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John Murdoch posted:

Dude has been threatening a 9 hour long comprehensive analysis of every single Witcher book and game.
Right. Because Noah Antwiller or whoever has done a 3 hour video, and obviously three times longer = three times better.

Hell, I wrote reviews for every single story in the first Witcher book, complete with analysis and found illustrations, and writing that didn't take 9 hours.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 31, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

do what brian david gilbert does, have the 9 hours of research off-camera and then smash it all into a 15 minute video

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sylphosaurus posted:

Magick Archer, fun class, terrible stat gains unfortunately.

I remember using a mod that fixed the stat gain problem

Orv
May 4, 2011
DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR STAT GAINS IN DRAGONS DOGMA.

No, it will no effect your ability to complete any of the content in the game, no it is not worth worrying about optimizing it, play things you enjoy.

That said play Mystic Knight.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So there's like no coincidence there's a dragon dogma my anime coming out on Netflix this year to go with a new one right?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Was stat progression especially meaningful in the grand scheme of things? I remember most things melting quickly enough with the right skills.

If there was going to be a sequel or spiritual successor I'd definitely want it to include something along the lines of Bitterblack Isle. In fact I'd play a whole game that was just spelunking trips into deeper and deeper dungeons to fight weird monsters and collect forgotten treasures. Really scratch that Gauntlet itch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Was stat progression especially meaningful in the grand scheme of things? I remember most things melting quickly enough with the right skills.

If there was going to be a sequel or spiritual successor I'd definitely want it to include something along the lines of Bitterblack Isle. In fact I'd play a whole game that was just spelunking trips into deeper and deeper dungeons to fight weird monsters and collect forgotten treasures. Really scratch that Gauntlet itch.

If you do not minmax your stats it will be marginally more annoying to kill the ultimate boss of the game, whom it is already a gigantic chore to kill in the first place (barring certain levels of hilarious cheese.) It really doesn't matter.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

John Murdoch posted:

Ah drat. While I enjoy pretty much all the classes, Warrior is a little bit dry, I feel. Especially at the beginning when you have no skills at all.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It's been a hot minute since I played it, but iirc, warrior gets a stinger-type move that I recall using 90% of the time over anything else, cause my ranged-class pawns would annihilate most threats before they ever got within melee range

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

stat gains simultaneously matter a lot and don’t matter much at all, because defense is coded as direct point-for-point damage reduction and so some enemies can be nigh invincible if you aren’t over their defense threshold, where going from 900->1000 attack against a 1000-defense enemy does nothing while going from 1000->1100 suddenly lets you hurt them, which is the kind of margins stat gains can make; except periapts just let you boost your damage massively past the point where anything can resist you, and in bitterblack isle where this stuff actually matters, you can have a stockpile of hundreds of periapts so you can just brute force past any defense bullshit you run into.

if you haven’t played before and don’t know what this means, just play as whatever class you want, except when you eventually get a sidequest to either get a fat guy hanged for crimes or get him acquitted, acquit the fat man because he sells you infinite periapts. now you can fly into free

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
From what I've parsed it basically looks like you could conceivably screw yourself over a little bit if say, you played 99% of the game as Warrior and then at the very last minute decided you wanted to be a full blown mage. But you'd have to try really hard to inflict that on yourself and every class gets at least a little bit of everything so it's not like you'd be starting from nothing regardless.

Is there a particular level range I should be hitting before worrying about Bitterblack Isle? Is it moreso endgame content than anything else?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Is there a particular level range I should be hitting before worrying about Bitterblack Isle? Is it moreso endgame content than anything else?
Theoretically you can go there anytime you want and be able to stock on some pretty good loot. Realistically, without knowing the tricks, postgame.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Warrior might only get three skills, but it doesn't matter because you only need one. Arc of Deliverance all day every day.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dragon's Dogma felt like a technical demo for a game that was never actually made. The game just felt so empty in terms of design and life, and the best parts of it can be summed up in like a 30 second video of doing a cool thing, until the realization that you were going to be doing that for hours upon hours with very little variation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GrandpaPants posted:

Dragon's Dogma felt like a technical demo for a game that was never actually made. The game just felt so empty in terms of design and life, and the best parts of it can be summed up in like a 30 second video of doing a cool thing, until the realization that you were going to be doing that for hours upon hours with very little variation.

Someone didn't fly into free

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I mean it's not DMC 3/4/5 level, but the combat in DD is light years ahead of every other RPG. It's an 8 year old game at this point, and there's still nothing with better combat. The Pawn system is also by an enormous margin the best custom NPC system ever done in a video game. Also you don't have to do the same thing the entire time, because the game actually rewards you for playing every class, and the playstyle differences are legitimately huge.

The story also unironically owns. It's stupid, insane, and way too backloaded, but it owns.

I am incredibly loving excited to see what Itsuno can do on the second go around, especially after what a loving triumph DMC5 was.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

John Murdoch posted:

I like Joseph Anderson. I enjoy the different view points he has in his reviews, especially if they wildly differ from mine. Of course one of his greatest videos the piece by piece nitpick of Fallout 4, and the 1001 glitches of Fallout 76, a three hour long cataloging endeavor that's no doubt outdated at this point.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Insurgency playable with bots? (If there are any)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Im so happy that Swat 4 is getting what looks to be a serious spiritual successor after all these years. I'm still playing Swat 4.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

this is a hostage situation

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

extremely funny that a week or so after release alyx is proving to be a sub standard fps and the "VR ONLY" aspects are boring ball puzzles

there are more people playing far cry 5 than alyx

Kly fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 31, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kly posted:

extremely funny that a week or so after release alyx is proving to be a sub standard fps and the "VR ONLY" aspects are boring ball puzzles

there are more people playing far cry 5 than alyx

why would lots of people be playing alyx, it needs vr

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Alyx seems good, I mean, I'm annoyed I can't play the game too, but jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

singateco posted:

Alyx seems good, I mean, I'm annoyed I can't play the game too, but jeez

there are lotsa videos you can watch friend. they are reminiscent of wii and kinect videos you saw 6 years ago