Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wolrah posted:

Based on the parking lot markings in the first video it looks like the plane generating the wind was in this pull-off area here off to the side of the taxiway at the 11 end: https://goo.gl/maps/azxEC74nEFMckojx5 There's street view from the taxiway that shows the hangars, that one that got torn open was probably taking a direct blast right in the open face.

I'm not really familiar with reading airport documentation, does this part mean they should have been down at the other end?
"TWY A RUN-UP AREA FOR RWY 29, JETS USE MNM PWR."

The last bit requires Jets to use minimum power if doing run-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Well as a counterpoint/palate cleanser, here is an excerpt from my flight school's statement on the matter:

and we have a custom call sign too and I think it's cool :colbert:

Super impressed with the way that place is handling the entire situation - one of the few statements that makes me feel hopeful and ok.

I never use the custom callsign :(, too used to the N number

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just got an email from my flight instructor! The runways are usable now, the days are warm (or at least less cold) and flying season is beginning!

...all flight lessons are on hold due to COVID-19. :negative:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Had a Trans States guy jumpseat yesterday. Just gutted for those guys and for the compass guys. Oh and hey my ER nurse wife may have the bug. Cool cool.

Reminds me of the poet Old Dirty Bastard of the Wu-Tang clan who said on his epic poem Rawhide:

You bound to catch AIDS or somethin'
Not sayin I got it, but nigga if I got it you got it!!
What!?

Anyway gently caress it, smoke if you got em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Airplane owners - help

I have an option to get:

A) a used GTN 650 for $8500.

OR

B) For 8000 I can get a new GNX 375 (GPS/ADSB IN OUT Trasnponder)

-------

I'm having a hard time here. I don't already have adbs at all. With the g650 I can send in my GTX330 and make it the ES version for $1500. That will give me OUT but not IN. I guess I could buy a new transponder in a couple of years to get that IN technology IN the panel. I fly a lot of cross-countries so it's probably worth it......maybe....

Or I can go for the newer unit, but its smaller so I'd probably pair it with an aera 660 or something

Regardless, I'm installing Dual G5s until somebody can give me a reason to do a GI-275........

Spend my money

oh yeah does the GTN 650 not natively send flight info to an iPad? I guess I'd have to add a flightstream or some BS while the 375 does it natively?

===
All pilots who have flown FLOWN flown the GNX 375, give me a PIREP.
===

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Budget option is dual G5s and a TailBeacon? Do you have WAAS GPS now? Post pics of your current panel.

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 2, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

American is retiring all remaining 757, 767, E190, and A330-300s, along with 75 737-800s.

The 767s and 190s were to go this year anyway, the LUS 757s were said to have had a stay of execution just a few weeks ago, but the A333s were supposed to have stuck around for a couple more years.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I don't see much of a reason to pay for certified avionics with ADSB IN. I've used a dual av ADSB IN with an iPad mini and can't see any advantage to having it built into the dash on a smaller screen. If anything, the smaller screen would just make it harder to access and use the weather data provided by ADSB IN (which is the only useful feature in my expereince).

I would save the money, buy as many G5s as needed to eliminate the need for a vacuum system and rip that POS out, and buy the GI-275. If you have a fuel injected engine, going with the GI-275 might allow lean of peak operation which could save some gas and give you a longer range. Personally, I had a lovely old Narco so I went with a GTX 335 in 2019 and am trying to schedule a time slot this year with my avionics guy to install some engine instrumentation (4x EGT, 4xCHT, carb temp). I'm hoping the EGT/CHT will allow me to squeeze a couple more horse power out of my O-320 during high density altitude days in the summer as if loving suuucks trying to take off at 8500' DA in my 19A.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Fairchild PT-19A with a O-320?

Edit: Oh! A Beech 19A :banjo:

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 2, 2020

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Captain Apollo posted:

===
===

Get the GNX 375. It has most of the required stuff that a GTN650 has. What it doesn’t have are:

1. Com/nav radios
2. An audio panel of some kind (I might be misremembering this as the G650 plane I’ve flown also has a G750).

If you already have com/nav, and don’t want to change it, fine. You won’t be able to port VOR/ILS data over to a G5 if you’re using one as an HSI.

You can also connect, using Bluetooth, straight into the GNX375 through at least ForeFlight and get ADS-B in information on your iPad. You can also go the other way and load flight plans from FF into the box’s FMS.

It’s a cool box and the only annoying thing is how small it is. We turned all our shitcan 172s into WAAS beauties by plugging GNX375s and dual G5s into them. Some even have the GFC500 AP which is also very slick.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

a patagonian cavy posted:

If you already have com/nav, and don’t want to change it, fine. You won’t be able to port VOR/ILS data over to a G5 if you’re using one as an HSI.

Wait what?

If I have a nav/com it won’t tie into the G5?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Captain Apollo posted:

Wait what?

If there’s a dongle, we don’t have it. I know you can get a G750/650 stack to port VOR/ILS into a G5. We kept the old bendix-king (I’m unsure of the mode number) NAV/COM radios and they send the data over to steam gauge OBS dials.

This has just resulted in us having to fly ILS stuff the normal way, but GPS based approaches will give a CDI/GP on the HSI.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Apollo posted:

Wait what?

I just read the G5 installation manual. There's a GAD-29 that will take in 4 ARINC-429 inputs as well as analog course/heading error and send that over "BOSCH standard for Controller Area Network (CAN) 2.0-
B and ISO 11898" to the G5(s).

This means you can get your (analog or -429) nav to integrate as long as you've got a GAD-29 as well.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so coronavirus has p much solved the MAX problem, yeah?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

so coronavirus has p much solved the MAX problem, yeah?

p much, plus they might get a $17 billion bailout thrown in for good measure :getin:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Captain Apollo posted:

===
===

You and I have basically the same plane.

I did dual G5's and a GTN650 before the GNX375 was released. Also installed a FS210 for flight plan transfer.

Still would have gone for the GTN650 and dual G5's. I still use a portable ADS-B for IN since I really don't care about having it on the tiny screen of a GTN650 when I can have it on a huge ipad screen. Flight plan transfer is far more valuable to me than ADS-B IN on the panel.

I can't remember what you have for a com/nav 2 but I have a KX-155 so it is my GTN gets fried backup system.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

helno posted:

You and I have basically the same plane.

I did dual G5's and a GTN650 before the GNX375 was released. Also installed a FS210 for flight plan transfer.

Still would have gone for the GTN650 and dual G5's. I still use a portable ADS-B for IN since I really don't care about having it on the tiny screen of a GTN650 when I can have it on a huge ipad screen. Flight plan transfer is far more valuable to me than ADS-B IN on the panel.

I can't remember what you have for a com/nav 2 but I have a KX-155 so it is my GTN gets fried backup system.

Okay yeah. I kept thinking with the 375 I would pair it with an Aera 660 portable that is pretty awesome. You can select frequencies in it and it will transfer to your com radio standby.

Okay only problem is that none of my radios are that tech savvy so I’d have to buy new radios to take advantage of the portable panel mount I’d only get because of the lack of screen size of the 375.

Thanks, helno, I’m going to order my dual G5’s, a flight stream for iPad/foreflight(?) capability, and wait for a used 650 to come out for ~8k.

H

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dual G5s combined with a 650 are a sweet setup. I still prefer the dual G5s combined with the 430 or 530 because I hate touchscreens in planes, but the 650 does have some lovely features.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

Dual G5s combined with a 650 are a sweet setup. I still prefer the dual G5s combined with the 430 or 530 because I hate touchscreens in planes, but the 650 does have some lovely features.

Be wary; the 4xx/5xx series is now EOL from Garmin: no more factory support or refurbs. They'll sell off their current stock, but no more repairs.

If you've got a 530W that's set up for your plane already, then the avidyne IFD-550 is a "slide garmin out, slide avidyne in" install. I think a great nav stack for a light GA Plane is dual ifd-550s with a pair of garmin transponders; i'm fond of the 345/335 pairing, but a pair of 330s is still very doable. Couple with a garmin ADC (ideally g600txi but who's got the space?)

I recently encountered a king air with dual 600txi, dual 750 (with the remote audio panel), 335R/345R, gdl-69a (xm weather/radio), gsr-56 (satphone/text), a digital radar (either the garmin or an ART-2000) and a very modern s-tec autopilot. I think the standby instrument was a G5, too. Cleanest king air ever. Only cleaner install is the G5000/G3000 installs.

Also, the flightstream 510 is a very nifty piece of kit for the 6xx/7xx series navigator. It replaces the database card and has wifi and bluetooth in the SD card form factor.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Be wary; the 4xx/5xx series is now EOL from Garmin: no more factory support or refurbs. They'll sell off their current stock, but no more repairs.

If you've got a 530W that's set up for your plane already, then the avidyne IFD-550 is a "slide garmin out, slide avidyne in" install. I think a great nav stack for a light GA Plane is dual ifd-550s with a pair of garmin transponders; i'm fond of the 345/335 pairing, but a pair of 330s is still very doable. Couple with a garmin ADC (ideally g600txi but who's got the space?)

I recently encountered a king air with dual 600txi, dual 750 (with the remote audio panel), 335R/345R, gdl-69a (xm weather/radio), gsr-56 (satphone/text), a digital radar (either the garmin or an ART-2000) and a very modern s-tec autopilot. I think the standby instrument was a G5, too. Cleanest king air ever. Only cleaner install is the G5000/G3000 installs.

Also, the flightstream 510 is a very nifty piece of kit for the 6xx/7xx series navigator. It replaces the database card and has wifi and bluetooth in the SD card form factor.

Yeah, I don’t get a say in what goes into our planes, and all the newest upgrades are getting the 650 obviously. Just that, personally, I prefer flying the one that’s equipped with a 430 instead. If you already had a 430, for example, I would not upgrade unless absolutely necessary.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Don't tell your SO or this might happen to you.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=506814319995904

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

Can anybody explain what's going to happen to the US airline industry? Are they furloughing expecting to re-hire all the same pilots in a couple of months or is this a 2001 era time for aviation?

Dr. Shockwave fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 3, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Can anybody explain what's going to happen to the US airline industry? Are they furloughing expecting to re-hire all the same pilots in a couple of months or is this a 2001 era time for aviation?

Well, see, if we knew that we'd probably all be in a much better mood, and also I'd be fantastically wealthy from using my clairvoyance to play the stock market, and flying my own personal jet rather than teaching people how to fly 172s.

No one knows when this whole shutdown is going to end, and what it will look like afterward.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Impossible to tell right now. All the major airlines are saying they are expecting to come out of this smaller but we’re also seeing a lot of mandatory retirements coming soon and the potential for buyouts as well before they start putting pilots on the street. There was a pilot shortage before this compete collapse so who knows? My airlines seems to be trying to start a conflict between the pilots (union) and the threat of the employees (non-union) so I don’t have any faith that what they are saying or doing are at all in our interests.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Basically, everyone is bleeding cash at an appalling rate flying empty airplanes around (anywhere from $14-$100 million per day), airplanes are being parked as fast as airlines can find room for them, and the pilots and flight attendants are wondering why the hell we're showing up at work to get exposed to Covid and fly 5 people per leg.

Compass and TSA have already collapsed because of lack of demand, but they were probably just the first of many airlines to go under because of this.

The bailout money will keep jobs through the end of September (at least for the airlines that take it), but everyone expects mass furloughs starting in October if things don't miraculously go back to normal by then, so this is shaping up to be way worse than 9/11 and the Great Recession.

To try and stem the bleeding, airlines in the US are cutting between 60 and 80% of their schedules for the next few months, parking airplanes anywhere they can find room, and offering voluntary unpaid leave, part time work, and early retirement to try and keep their heads above water until this slows down and they get bailed out by the government.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Basically, everyone is bleeding cash at an appalling rate

To add to that, the transition from boom to bust in the span of 3 weeks shook a whole lot of recent MBA graduates into a "paralysis by analysis" situation.
Airport capital improvement projects nationwide are being deferred/cancelled as fast as they can in order to preserve cash.
Airport fuel farms have gone from having an average of 4-5 days of inventory on hand to 20-30 days causing issues with containment at terminals upstream at some locations.
Containment issues vary (depending on mode of transport) from stalling pipelines to product sitting in barges on anchor because there's no place to unload.
Stalled pipelines can cause real problems if the gasoline and diesel for a market get stuck behind a load of Jet-A.

Just a complete shitshow.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

People aren't gonna travel again like they used to, not for years. Half the aviation jobs are not coming back.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Anything about how quickly airlines and pilot jobs will recover is pure conjecture. You can argue about how it'll never be the same just as easily as how it'll be business as usual within 1 year of the virus being done.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

cigaw posted:

Anything about how quickly airlines and pilot jobs will recover is pure conjecture. You can argue about how it'll never be the same just as easily as how it'll be business as usual within 1 year of the virus being done.

Well shucks, if we all just such dumb bumpkins might as well put it in the lords hands and just pray the virus away. No sense in even guessing at what god wants, we can't guess at his will so we should all just sit back and stop talking about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

People aren't gonna travel again like they used to, not for years. Half the aviation jobs are not coming back.

Counterpoint: I’ve been stuck inside for near a month and I’ll probably be here another one or two, minimum, plus whatever restrictions will exist by that point. When I get out, I’m going to do all the loving travelling. Just... all of it. And I’m gonna go to restaurants and bars and touch my face all over with reckless abandon, all the loving time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m also gonna touch this guys face.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well shucks, if we all just such dumb bumpkins might as well put it in the lords hands and just pray the virus away. No sense in even guessing at what god wants, we can't guess at his will so we should all just sit back and stop talking about it.
lol literally nothing about my post had anything to do with anyone's intelligence, schooling, religion or whatever it is you're going on about.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

I’m also gonna touch this guys face.

Hell yeah. There's gonna be a lot of touching :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Aviation Megathread: Slightly More Sterile Cockpits

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Counterpoint: my industry will be capacity limited by logistics they will be traveling so much as soon as the public can gather.

But yeah dude, rage on and then when travel slowly rebounds but is still down you can quote yourself and show you’re right. Imagine how good that pat on the back will feel. It’ll pay off time and time again.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 6, 2020

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Dr. Shockwave posted:

Can anybody explain what's going to happen to the US airline industry?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Nooooooooooooo

Long non-comedy option answer: This is an unprecedented situation with far too many unknowns for anyone to make more than an educated guess as to what's going to happen. This includes the government, airline executives, and airline employees. Although this hasn't stopped many pilots from making bold unfounded claims like "we'll be out of this in 2 weeks." to "half the aviation jobs are not coming back." As of right now airlines are cancelling about %75 of their flights and running at %10-15 load factor, which is probably going to be the norm until the country as a whole starts to emerge from corona induced lockdown. There are still rumors about non-essential flights being shut down but since the bailout money has a provision that airlines continue serving all cities they did prior to the 'rona this doesn't look very likely.

Most of the major U.S. airlines are applying for the bailout money which should allow them to limp along until fall. By that point the corona virus should be all but gone and we'll have some idea of what shape the economy is in and what demand there is for airline travel. In the meantime airlines are taking this time to park old planes, and old pilots. Expect more announcements about furloughs and permanent schedule reductions around the end of August/September. After that... who the hell knows?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Much to my surprise, I just got my first IOE trip scheduled for later this week! 7 weeks since the checkride, but I'm just glad they got around to fitting me into the massively reduced schedule. 3 trips this month with a nice mix of west coast and midwest flying.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Aviation Megathread: Slightly More Sterile Cockpits

You kidding? These things are cleaner than they've ever been since rolling off the assembly line.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Much to my surprise, I just got my first IOE trip scheduled for later this week! 7 weeks since the checkride, but I'm just glad they got around to fitting me into the massively reduced schedule. 3 trips this month with a nice mix of west coast and midwest flying.

Great. You can blame your bad landings on the light loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I finished IOE today with my line check. Actually had a great landing with a nasty crosswind in San Diego, and a big wind shift at 200 feet "Oh hello, time to get lined up with the runway again."