Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's... no place to preorder this anymore, is there.

I wanted to hold out until I was 100% sure I still had an income before throwing $80 at this and now I haven't been able to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PSN Store?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to get the launch edition with the artbook and stuff.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Just release the digital version early, it's ready and the world is falling apart anyway, why is this so hard

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Yeah give me this video game there's only so many rocks I can hit for my taskmaster Tom Nook.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Abisteen posted:

Yeah give me this video game there's only so many rocks I can hit for my taskmaster Tom Nook.
Same

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone in aus able to recommend one of those "ship to the US and on-forward to aus" shipping services? I wanna get one of these first class editions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

triple sulk posted:

Just release the digital version early, it's ready and the world is falling apart anyway, why is this so hard

Yeah for real

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s gonna be hosed up if I preordered this digital and have to wait for the original release date when physical copies are just out there. Just adjust the unlock time god drat.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They'd have to tell Sony to get ready earlier than normal, something tells me they can't do that easily. Paperwork, getting the infrastructure ready, having support and networking staff on hand in case things go wrong etc. I'd love to see an early release but I think it's unlikely

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

Could this be one of the rare cases where pre-ordering a video game is the sensible thing to do?

No, but it's definitely more justified than usual. I just hope Amazon UK is getting it early. :ohdear:

I just got an email from Amazon with a delivery date of 11th April.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I know talk of the polygon figures came up earlier in the thread.

Looks like SE Store and other retailers are going to be selling blind boxed sets soon, not just with that raffle in Japan.

No guarantee what you'll get, but I'm a little tempted to drop some money, because the secret chase figure is incredible.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I wonder how long it will take for someone to mod the new script into ff7. (with the newer content added in eventually)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For some reason I started thinking about how weird it is that all the armor in FF7 is wristwear, and not even like gauntlets and bracers, but bangles, bracelets, and armlets.

I thought it was weird when I was a kid and then just accepted it but every once in a while I remember and wonder why it's like that.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

For some reason I started thinking about how weird it is that all the armor in FF7 is wristwear, and not even like gauntlets and bracers, but bangles, bracelets, and armlets.

I thought it was weird when I was a kid and then just accepted it but every once in a while I remember and wonder why it's like that.

I always thought it was weird how AVALANCHE decided the best time to blow up another reactor would be literally the day after blowing up the first one, during daylight hours with Shinra on full alert.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 30, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Harrow posted:

Easier to not model it.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I wonder how early SE will allow stores to sell their copies. Lots of stores should be getting the game in stock this week, right?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Goddamn just release it early.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Harrow posted:

Guess it's an elegant way to avoid the "why are my characters equipped with plate mail but still look like they're in a t-shirt and sweatpants" problem, especially in a game that actually modeled the different weapons.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dell_Zincht posted:

I always thought it was weird how AVALANCHE decided the best time to blow up another reactor would be literally the day after blowing up the first one, during daylight hours with Shinra on full alert.

Eh, hitting an enemy while they're off balance isn't unheard of. Especially with a top down corporationn that might be still having planning meetings to set up the meetings to deal with the crisis. E.g. Shin Godzilla

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Eh, hitting an enemy while they're off balance isn't unheard of. Especially with a top down corporationn that might be still having planning meetings to set up the meetings to deal with the crisis. E.g. Shin Godzilla

Yeah, to be honest it makes more sense to move quickly because they were depending on basically the same plan working and Shinra not having time to work up countermeasures.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Remake is available for pre-order on Amazon again. Only Deluxe is available. Standard is not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

Remake is available for pre-order on Amazon again. Only Deluxe is available. Standard is not.

I still don’t know if I should preorder this now and have it potentially show up late, or brave the local Target super quick to snag it day one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I still don’t know if I should preorder this now and have it potentially show up late, or brave the local Target super quick to snag it day one.

Don't put your health at risk to play a video game slightly earlier.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Don't put your health at risk to play a video game slightly earlier.

more importantly, dont risk the health of others.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kheldarn posted:

I ended up ordering from Best Buy this morning instead after I saw Amazon didn't have any available.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Played the demo again and actually tried to learn the mechanics this time, arranged my quickmenu for once, messed around with the camera controls. Definitely did a lot better overall, I didn't need to stop and heal against Guard Scorpion except for when he was charging his laser.

Only thing that is still not clicking is the camera lock on, honestly it seems so finicky as to be pointless. Even locking on to an enemy doesnt seem to actually, you know, lock the camera to them. Not to mention the slightest brush of the right stick and it leaps to another enemy, sending the camera into a wall and yet again breaking the lock.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The camera is really bad and makes me worry that I'll have to play on classic(and therefore easy) mode because I don't want to fight the camera.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kith posted:

Easier to not model it.

At the time I don't think anyone would've expected them to model it anyway, is the thing. Just two games later, FFIX had helmets and armor again and they weren't modeled and it was fine.

Other FF games have done other things with equipment, like FFVIII just not having any at all, or FFXIII only having weapons and accessories, but FFVII sticks out to me for having specifically wristwear as the only armor. FFX kinda does it too but everyone has a unique version, some of which are shields, and weirdly they actually did model them that time.

Anyway it's just a weird quirk that I enjoy about the game

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Guess it's an elegant way to avoid the "why are my characters equipped with plate mail but still look like they're in a t-shirt and sweatpants" problem, especially in a game that actually modeled the different weapons.

Yeah, I think that's what I figured at the time. Then later, future FF games that seemed to try to sidestep that problem just didn't bother with an "armor" slot at all and just had accessories (like FFXIII).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It wouldn't be FF if they didn't find a neat solution to something and then immediately scrap it when they start on the next one.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

The camera is really bad and makes me worry that I'll have to play on classic(and therefore easy) mode because I don't want to fight the camera.

I'm gonna play the whole game in Classic mode anyway, because I loving hate action rpgs.

I've bought the game for the super duper graphics and new story stuff and not really bothered about challenging gameplay. I know i'm in the minority with that mindset though.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 31, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Harrow posted:

At the time I don't think anyone would've expected them to model it anyway, is the thing.
Previous FFs had weapon/armor sprites changing based on equipment, and FF7 was the first foray into the new and exciting and powerful Playstation, of which Square was desperately trying to show the power of. They tried to model as much as they could, which is why weapon models got so advanced and fancy and switching weapons resulted in visual differences in combat. It's also why everyone has unique animations for things like casting, Deathblow, or 2x/4x Cut.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kith posted:

Previous FFs had weapon/armor sprites changing based on equipment, and FF7 was the first foray into the new and exciting and powerful Playstation, of which Square was desperately trying to show the power of. They tried to model as much as they could, which is why weapon models got so advanced and fancy and switching weapons resulted in visual differences in combat. It's also why everyone has unique animations for things like casting, Deathblow, or 2x/4x Cut.

Weapons, yeah, but not armor, unless you mean the little palette-swapped shield sprites that could show up when you blocked something in like FF6. I mean there were costume changes for job promotions in FF1 and for different jobs in 3 and 5 but those weren't linked to equipment. There were definitely different weapon sprites, but if armor ever changed a character's appearance it was rare enough that I don't remember it happening.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
FF7 setting is modern enough that wearing armor would feel strange. (The Armor in Jessie looks bad) And this way you have a more unique look for each character.

The bracelets makes more sense as a place to store materias to cast magic too

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 31, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, as materia storage, the bracelets definitely make sense. I just always found it amusing that they're treated as armor, is all.

FFX kinda did the same thing but I think it tried to sell the "armor" aspect a bit more by having some of them be shields, and the jewelry ones (Yuna's rings and Lulu's bangles) seeming to project visible magical shields.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like FFXV's system where different clothing is weighted for different play styles without being inherently better, so you can run around in your King's Knight t-shirt to your heart's content.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kheldarn posted:

What is a "mini-soundtrack"?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Zarin posted:

it's like a soundtrack, but smaller

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imagine it's the soundtrack minus dynamic changes/variants? Just guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zarin posted:

It's on a GameCube disc