Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My sleeping pattern is really screwed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Coohoolin posted:

The new world order tricking everyone to stay inside so we won't notice them implementing their order.
Haha I really like this one. As if the New World Order just involves a really OCD Illuminati trimming all the hedges to a standard height and making the roads align perfectly to a grid, they just want us out of the way for a goddamn minute so they can spruce the place up.

You know, we did see the council mowing the grass on the roundabout yesterday, didn’t seem like an essential task :tinfoil:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jackhunter64 posted:

Sounds a bit like it from the videos I've looked at, but they would have to be making GBS threads at least three to four times per hour for this rate of noise occurence

Could be connected to a kitchen sink or something? Could also be a booster pump to improve water pressure, so every time someone uses a tap it kicks it off, but they're normally much higher pitched.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Does anyone think it’s weird that we’re not seeing more doom-laden conspiracy theories? That the virus is way worse than the government admits or that the media reports and far more people are dying?

I’m not saying that I believe that, it just feels like the obvious place for those theories to go. It would even tie into the perennial theme of the NWO or whoever wanting to cull the populace to stop overpopulation.

So why do all the theories seem to be that the virus isn’t real, or is overblown in some way?

My Ickist friend yesterday sent me a link to a video of a hospital in Berlin (Verchow) which was apparently supposed to be heaving with Covid-19 patients and is deserted, therefore it is all a hoax to make people stay home etc etc. I watched about 10 mins of it.
My interpretation is that it is a hospital that has been made ready to receive patients if needed but is not yet in operation (like the ExCel centre here for example).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, maybe that's it. The story sounded suspiciously like it was heading in some crypto climate denialist direction towards the end.
There's good evidence that air pollution of some types was decreased by the Industrial Revolution, like with sulphur mining in Southern Italy.

For most of history they used the 'Sicilian method', which is basically "pile a bunch of suspected sulphur bearing rocks at the top of a hill, set it on fire, and catch the burning molten sulphur as it flows down the hill."

This was unsurprisingly not great for anything, and entire hillsides became brimstone blighted hellscapes where nothing could grow for miles around, and replacing it with more industrial methods like "maybe do it indoors" reduced a lot of emissions.

It'd still be completely false to say that overall the Industrial Revolution reduced sulphur emissions though, because of the massive uptick from burning coal and crude oils elsewhere, just that the absolute concentration of sulfurous gases in some parts of Southern Europe decreased heavily over the course of the 19th century. Which would also be a legit thing for an academic study but a weird thing to put on the BBC (or ANSA I guess).

jackhunter64 posted:

Identify this suburban sound for me cause it's driving me absolutely apeshit: it's like an idling car engine, lasts for 15-20 seconds and raises in pitch before it suddenly stops, like 'brrrrrrrRRRRTT'. It happens fairly regularly in the morning and evening, and I can hear it regularly out the back window (facing other houses), but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Some kind of water pump refilling or something?
Kitchen waste disposal unit?

also

Failed Imagineer posted:

haha shitter goes brrrrr

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/30/uk-police-guidelines-coronavirus-lockdown-enforcement-powers-following-criticism-lord-sumption posted:

UK police warned against ‘overreach’ in use of virus lockdown powers

Police chiefs are drawing up new guidance warning forces not to overreach their lockdown enforcement powers after withering criticism of controversial tactics to stop the spread of coronavirus, the Guardian has learned.

The intervention comes amid growing concern that some forces are going beyond their legal powers to stop the spread of Covid-19, with one issuing a summons to a household for shopping for non-essential items and another telling locals that exercise was “limited to an hour a day”.

On Monday, former supreme court justice Lord Sumption said that excessive measures were in danger of turning Britain into a “police state”, singling out Derbyshire police – which deployed drones and dyed the Blue Lagoon near Buxton black to make it less appealing – for “trying to shame people in using their undoubted right to take exercise in the country and wrecking beauty spots in the fells”.

The Guardian has learned that the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and College of Policing are rushing through guidance reminding officers that despite politicians’ warnings they cannot bar people from going for a run or a drive.

It will state that while certain actions such as driving to exercise may be unwise, they are not prohibited by the emergency powers, according to sources with knowledge of detailed discussions. It is also expected to conclude the law does not restrict people to exercising outside only once a day.

The Guardian understands that the NPCC chair, Martin Hewitt, wrote to police chiefs across the forces in England and Wales over the weekend about the need for greater consistency in the application of emergency powers.

Senior police commanders are understood to have been concerned over how the unprecedented powers were being implemented in their first few days by some forces, with Lancashire police issuing 123 enforcement notices since Thursday and Bedfordshire police issuing none.

The guidance contrasts with local police actions that have ranged from Derbyshire Police filming dogwalkers in the Peak District with a drone to officers telling a shop to stop selling Easter eggs.

Speaking to the BBC, Sumption attacked the behaviour of police and singled out the Derbyshire force.

“The behaviour of the Derbyshire police in trying to shame people in using their undoubted right to take exercise in the country and wrecking beauty spots in the fells so people don’t want to go there is frankly disgraceful,” he said.

“This is what a police state is like, it is a state in which a government can issue orders or express preferences with no legal authority and the police will enforce ministers’ wishes.” He said that the force had “shamed our policing traditions”.

New legislation was introduced and rushed through parliament to become law on Thursday in a bid to enforce physical distancing and slow the spread and death toll from Covid-19.

Senior police chiefs from larger forces are understood to be concerned about “not turning communities against us”, one source with knowledge of discussions said.

Asked on the BBC’s Newsnight about communication from the NPCC, Andy Marsh, chief constable in Avon and Somerset, said: “I had a conversation with other chiefs and Martin Hewitt and we talked about the style of our enforcement and the engagement and explanation that went before and we all agreed that we wanted to see this done with the consent of the public. We’re not going to enforce our way out of this problem.”

He said Hewitt’s message to police chiefs called for common sense and sound judgment and added that the police were “figuring out some of this stuff as we go along”.

On Monday afternoon, the foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, praised the police’s response to the crisis in general but told reporters that “obviously we need some common sense”.

The source of confusion for frontline officers appears to be a gap between what the emergency legislation actually orders and what the government has said it wants people to do.

In his address announcing the lockdown last Monday, Boris Johnson made reference to only exercising once a day – a limitation that is not set out in the law.

There is sympathy in policing for what government is trying to achieve to deal with a national emergency. The unprecedented lockdown measures in the UK are broadly in step with draconian measures countries around the world have or are taking to deal with the pandemic.

Bedfordshire’s chief constable Garry Forsyth told the Guardian that his force had avoided enforcement actions by resolving issues diplomatically. He said that problems enacting the emergency laws were inevitable: “It is difficult to get precision on quick legislation. Of course it could do with more clarity. These are unprecedented times and we have to make the best of what we’ve got.”

Stephen White, police and crime commissioner in Durham, said: “I think policing is confused about what it is being asked to do. Police officers have no power to stop people going to the Lake District. It takes a long time to build up trust and a short time to destroy it.”

The Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, whose force covers London, said no checkpoints were being carried out in the capital and her officers were encouraging people to comply: “Already we have had examples of people who simply hadn’t quite heard all the messages – and, only as a very last resort with the current restrictions, using firm direction or even enforcement.

“We’re not doing what you might call road blocks or anything like that,” she told LBC radio station. “Yes, we stop motorists sometimes, we have a conversation with them.”

A spokesperson for the NPCC said: “The vast majority of people are fully complying with the guidance and advice. For the small number who are not we will use enforcement. Given the rapid pace of development forces do not have paperwork specific to the coronavirus regulations.

“Officers are issuing the fines using existing paperwork or statements. All fines issued are legally enforceable and non-payment will result in prosecution.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...m-lord-sumption

Good. Some of the enforcement down here in the South West is pretty absurd, like insisting that dog walking has to start from your home on foot - no driving your dog to one of the many many empty fields to let them run around, which is pretty absurd.

Also easter eggs are clearly an essential good :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I was thinking a couple days ago that the deals on easter eggs after easter are probably going to be insane because supermarkets haven't been shifting them.

I can't wait to die from too many easter eggs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I was thinking a couple days ago that the deals on easter eggs after easter are probably going to be insane because supermarkets haven't been shifting them.

I can't wait to die from too many easter eggs

I've been eating Easter eggs since last week because normal chocolate bars were in short supply and Jesus can't do poo poo because he's over 70 and so isn't allowed outside the house.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shoving dozens of creme eggs into my lungs to own the coronavirus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TACD posted:

Haha I really like this one. As if the New World Order just involves a really OCD Illuminati trimming all the hedges to a standard height and making the roads align perfectly to a grid, they just want us out of the way for a goddamn minute so they can spruce the place up.

You know, we did see the council mowing the grass on the roundabout yesterday, didn’t seem like an essential task :tinfoil:

It could well be, if the grass getting long could impede the view fo traffic coming round said roundabout.

I can think of plenty local to me I wish they'd loving mow more often.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Shoving dozens of creme eggs into my lungs to own the coronavirus.

Mods ban this sick filth for not using the thread-approved orifice for creme egg insertion.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've been eating Easter eggs since last week because normal chocolate bars were in short supply and Jesus can't do poo poo because he's over 70 and so isn't allowed outside the house.

Plus he only self-isolated for like 2.5 days max, very irresponsible for a man who'd been recently crucified (a known comorbidity)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Sat out on my front doorstep for about 20 minutes just now enjoying a little sunshine while petting a neighborhood cat and hearing the blackbirds singing and didn't see or hear a single other person

Some parts of this I could really get used to

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

DesperateDan posted:

Sat out on my front doorstep for about 20 minutes just now enjoying a little sunshine while petting a neighborhood cat and hearing the blackbirds singing and didn't see or hear a single other person

Some parts of this I could really get used to

Cat had the roni

Sentence: death

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

jackhunter64 posted:

Identify this suburban sound for me

I wonder if it could be an air-source heat pump, as they need to periodically compress a gas to raise it above the ambient air temperature. It’s possibly you’re only hearing it when the air is cold or things are quiet in general.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do they sound any different to outside air conditioner units?

Then again those can make some crazy noises if there's something a bit wrong with them.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Cat had the roni

died doing what I loved

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dyeing that quarry black isn't really an overreach, they've done it before and it's to discourage people from swimming in the lovely blue toxic soup which is a bad idea even when there isn't a pandemic on

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

jackhunter64 posted:

Identify this suburban sound for me cause it's driving me absolutely apeshit: it's like an idling car engine, lasts for 15-20 seconds and raises in pitch before it suddenly stops, like 'brrrrrrrRRRRTT'. It happens fairly regularly in the morning and evening, and I can hear it regularly out the back window (facing other houses), but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Some kind of water pump refilling or something?

I used to have a similar issue when I lived near Bury - every night from 8-8 there was this sound like a large mechanical pump outside somewhere. I tried following the sound from one end of my street to another but couldn't pin-point the source. I ended up calling the council about a noise complaint and walking around with someone who also couldn't pinpoint it, though it was definitely coming from underground.

It drove me a bit daft and I ended up researching as much local history I could find about what was underground and talked to a bunch of old blokes in pubs to see if there was any reasoning. Still didn't get to the bottom of it, but the best theory I heard was that there was a disused nuclear bunker beneath a nearby golf course and they had reopened it for some sex poo poo, with the pump drawing air down below.

Which reminds me, if you're after something to read, Underland by Robert MacFarlane is good. It's all about underground stuff like mines and caves and neutrino stations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Mods ban this sick filth for not using the thread-approved orifice for creme egg insertion.

You can still reach the lungs via the rear end. V presumptive of you imo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mehall posted:

They don't have baked beans though, and what kind of sicko blasts butter beans, kidney beans, or heaven forfend cannellini beans up the backside?

Have some drat standards

If NA means North America there, not only do they have them, they invented them. :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

Cat had the roni

Semi-serious question - can the virus live on the fur of animals? I'm suddenly worried about my cat and his slatternly behaviour accepting strokes from anyone willing to give them (and habit of touring my neighbours looking for them) being a vector.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

jackhunter64 posted:

Bean blasting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

I used to have a similar issue when I lived near Bury - every night from 8-8 there was this sound like a large mechanical pump outside somewhere. I tried following the sound from one end of my street to another but couldn't pin-point the source. I ended up calling the council about a noise complaint and walking around with someone who also couldn't pinpoint it, though it was definitely coming from underground.

It drove me a bit daft and I ended up researching as much local history I could find about what was underground and talked to a bunch of old blokes in pubs to see if there was any reasoning. Still didn't get to the bottom of it, but the best theory I heard was that there was a disused nuclear bunker beneath a nearby golf course and they had reopened it for some sex poo poo, with the pump drawing air down below.

Which reminds me, if you're after something to read, Underland by Robert MacFarlane is good. It's all about underground stuff like mines and caves and neutrino stations.
Low frequency sounds are notoriously hard to pinpoint. You need something like this:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Semi-serious question - can the virus live on the fur of animals? I'm suddenly worried about my cat and his slatternly behaviour accepting strokes from anyone willing to give them (and habit of touring my neighbours looking for them) being a vector.
Current advice appears to be "maybe, wash your hands with soap after petting cats just in case."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Whatever it actually is, it won't live up to 'nuclear-powered underground thrice-hourly poo poo/beans pump extension', so I'll settle on that for now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I imagine the oils would give the virus a hard time. It only survives for a considerable amount of time on clean non-porous surfaces. As long as it's not transmittable to cats you'd be worrying about a one in a million chance of infection.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
People on my football forums have gone all in on the idea that most of us are already infected, and that there's a government cover up as only a fraction of the people dying in hospitals have the virus.

Not sure what they think everyone else is dying of. Strange sort of wishful thinking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I imagine the oils would give the virus a hard time. It only survives for a considerable amount of time on clean non-porous surfaces. As long as it's not transmittable to cats you'd be worrying about a one in a million chance of infection.

I'm not worried for myself so much as my neighbours, there's quite a lot of old people round here and the last thing I want to do is risk them just to stop my cat whinging that he's not allowed out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

People on my football forums have gone all in on the idea that most of us are already infected, and that there's a government cover up as only a fraction of the people dying in hospitals have the virus.

Anything to excuse how terrible Man U were this year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Full lockdown now please. Liberal Democrat’s and melts are bitching and moaning that the police filming ARSEHOLES with a drone constitutes a police state.

I literally do not give one iota of a gently caress about but ma freeeeedom when these loving wankers are massively increasing the risk of my 93 year old grandma getting the rona, we moved her out of the home and a relation put her and her sister in a farm cottage in the Peak District, and she dare not step outside her front door because of the shithead tourists who still won’t gently caress off and stay home.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it was recommended to try and keep your outdoor cats to stay in so they don't interact with anyone else? Also to wash your hands after touching them as usual

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Which server are you playing on? I finally reached Heavensward, so I might be able to visit the goon FC on Omega sometime before Christmas.

I'm in Omega and that goon FC is wonderful and I love them all so much!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Not sure what they think everyone else is dying of. Strange sort of wishful thinking.

I mean the first half is at least understandable - if it turns out we almost all have it and it really is just like a lovely flu then in a week or two it'll all be over and we can go back to normal. The second half sounds like an attempt to hold on to that belief by grafting in the NWO conspiracy theories denying the escalating deaths.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Low frequency sounds are notoriously hard to pinpoint. You need something like this:

Could you imagine how pissed off you'd be if a seagull flew past that and squawked directly into the cone

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

sassassin posted:

I'm hearing similar stuff (even from people in the NHS) that it's not actually going to be that bad, the peak infection day was last Sunday and things are starting to go back to normal. Similar with some media messaging that things are getting better, there's a cure in sight and people shouldn't worry.

I hope that's the case but literally everything else I've seen is saying its barely started yet - can't help but feel people are in denial, like sitting on the Titanic and thinking the ocean is just getting higher.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Full lockdown now please. Liberal Democrat’s and melts are bitching and moaning that the police filming ARSEHOLES with a drone constitutes a police state.

I literally do not give one iota of a gently caress about but ma freeeeedom when these loving wankers are massively increasing the risk of my 93 year old grandma getting the rona, we moved her out of the home and a relation put her and her sister in a farm cottage in the Peak District, and she dare not step outside her front door because of the shithead tourists who still won’t gently caress off and stay home.

ahh yes, please give me more boot and never stop

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

jackhunter64 posted:

I had something similar for a year or so before my wife finally asked a neighbour. She reckoned it was coming from someone's boiler. I'd been assuming it came on when they washed their hands. I do like the poo poo mashing answer though. I'd been thinking it was an external bit of pipe vibrating, otherwise it'd be mad loud in their house if I can hear it from over the road 3 houses away.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

hemale in pain posted:

ahh yes, please give me more boot and never stop

Everything about your avatar side thingy bit makes me wary of you. Except I suppose salad prong.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Everything about your avatar side thingy bit makes me wary of you. Except I suppose salad prong.

whats wrong with mr skeleton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Well, confirmed infection rates haven't dramatically increased over the last few days which is a significant divergence from the Italian experience, but that may be down to testing. I do hope we get lucky on this though because I'd murder a pint.

Italy at least does clearly seem to have peaked in new cases now, so should be starting to recover soon. Potentially the lockdown there could start to be lifted in a month or so.