Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

knox_harrington posted:

Quite nice visualisation off the BBC

lol the US is really speedrunning this whole pandemic thing aren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

New yoik is gonna be a bloodbath

Mind you so is London

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Aphex- posted:

lol the US is really speedrunning this whole pandemic thing aren't they

Pretty easy to manipulate if you just stop testing people.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Thread is getting a little fatalistic, maybe we could curve the mood back up a bit?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

josh04 posted:

Thread is getting a little fatalistic, maybe we could curve the mood back up a bit?

This was shamefully overlooked a few pages ago. The whole original thread is wonderful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

josh04 posted:

Communist Thoughts posted:

New yoik is gonna be a bloodbath

Mind you so is London

You're welcome.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

XMNN posted:

vulnerable in this case should probably include everyone over 50+, maybe even 40+, based on hospitalisation rates, and even then uncontrolled spread amongst the less vulnerable still probably puts you over your bed capacity pretty quickly

then you've got the fact that isolation in the UK atm is not particularly complete so unless we literally forced the vulnerable people to stay in their homes and arranged no contact food deliveries for millions of people (maybe even most of the population) a lot of them would still be getting infected

also, dunno about you but I'm not mad keen on catching this even if I only have a 10% chance of being hospitalised and a 0.2% chance of dying or whatevrr. not sure how many other youngish people would be happy about risking serious illness or death to keep the economy running when everyone else gets to sit inside to keep them safe?

general anaesthetic is disconcerting enough when you go under in a quiet anaesthetic room for a planned operation you know you will almost certainly survive. Lying helpless in a ward surrounded by doctors, nurses and the dying while someone puts a cannula in you, knowing that you're going to be intubated and have 50/50 odds of ever waking up and wondering if the last thing you'll ever feel is the cold running up your arm and across your chest as you rapidly lose the ability to think, that's the stuff of nightmares

Holy poo poo dude we're trying to keep morale up here

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

That was not a fun read, christ.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Well I went to hospital yesterday. Not for Corona, just an out patient appointment for something, time critical and unable to be done by phone. I told them the dates I was ill and they were happy I was safe. I had to convince myself I was sure I'd had it and was probably immune. Scared the hell out of me.

It's a large city centre hospital I've been to many times before and I have never, even in the dead of night seen it like this. The place was locked down and practically deserted. Empty car park. Checkpoint at the entrance that was split into an in door and an out door, with security checking you were there for an important reason. Every member of staff masked. Waiting room chairs ripped out and spaced 2m apart. The polite "please use the have wash" station now a full on "you are not getting past here unless you use this" barrier. Taped up signs pointing to makeshift covid facilities.

And empty of people, and dead quiet. It felt like a loving urbex, it was so bizarre. The section I was in was being converted while I was in there for some covid related function. They're clearly prepared for a massive inrush of people. Spooked me the hell out, I tell ya. I'm going to stay in until June now, immune or no. And phone my parents every other day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the only way to get to the countryside to move there? Is there something that stops you being born there?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Is the only way to get to the countryside to move there? Is there something that stops you being born there?

Well, incest does lead to a lot of spontaneous miscarriages

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My brothers hospital in Lancashire has upped a their ICU capacity from 30 to 200. It's weirdly quiet there too at the moment apparently - the calm before the storm.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

You don't want to see the people who were born there...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

general anaesthetic is disconcerting enough when you go under in a quiet anaesthetic room for a planned operation you know you will almost certainly survive. Lying helpless in a ward surrounded by doctors, nurses and the dying while someone puts a cannula in you, knowing that you're going to be intubated and have 50/50 odds of ever waking up and wondering if the last thing you'll ever feel is the cold running up your arm and across your chest as you rapidly lose the ability to think, that's the stuff of nightmares
Last time I had a general they did the IV benzos and analgesics a few minutes beforehand, so the only thing I was thinking as the Pentothal went up my arm was "heh... weird".

You don't get death anxiety when the anxiety mechanisms of your brain have been forcibly suppressed.

OwlFancier posted:

House prices.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not a fan of my Dad's new google smart thing. I miss when he could turn the radio on without having to YELL AT THE HOUSE.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah i've had general anaesthetic a couple times and its fine, i kinda enjoy trying to see how long I can stay awake. about as long as it takes to start tasting the anaesthetic i found.

anyway in cheery news the gov didn't just start underestimating deaths recently, they've been doing it from the start too

https://www.ft.com/content/44f4301e-b5f3-4434-a086-9a822ea72a71

quote:

Virus death toll in England and Wales higher than stated, data suggest

In its weekly report into deaths in the two nations, the Office for National Statistics said that by March 20, it had so far seen evidence of 210 deaths where Covid-19 was cited by an attending doctor as a potential factor compared with 170 people that the Department of Health and Social Care recorded as dying in hospital from the virus.

The ONS said its number “is higher than the figures the [health department] publish as it includes deaths related to Covid-19 that took place outside of hospitals and those not tested for Covid-19”.

The 210 figure is likely to rise as more deaths are recorded and registered on national systems, a process which can take some time.

The data come from a period when the outbreak was just starting to kill a large number of people in the UK. In that week, before the lockdown started, there were few deaths reported by the Department of Health and Social Care from Covid-19.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you've ever woken up at around 4-5am after drinking and you're fully dressed and on your bed with the laptop still on then you know what being put under is like

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Tomberforce posted:

My brothers hospital in Lancashire has upped a their ICU capacity from 30 to 200. It's weirdly quiet there too at the moment apparently - the calm before the storm.

That's pretty good that they can expand capacity like that. If that is similar elsewhere then hopefully most places outside London will be able to cope without overrunning capacity.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anaesthetic is great. I can usually count to about 11 before the edges of the room start to trail as they move like the windows of an xp machine that's currently frozen.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not a fan of my Dad's new google smart thing. I miss when he could turn the radio on without having to YELL AT THE HOUSE.

Plus side is sending people voice messages that just say "hey Google play Snooker Loopy" and listen for the swearing

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

If you've ever woken up at around 4-5am after drinking and you're fully dressed and on your bed with the laptop still on then you know what being put under is like

I've done both of those things and I was not fully dressed for either so that's not really the same.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

This once happened to me but my shower was on and all my clothes were in it for some reason but I was in bed bone dry and to this day I've not worked out what the hell happened

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah there was I think exactly one early video of someone mentioning the "quarantine all vulnerable people for the duration" aspect of the plan before it was dropped entirely. Don't think bojo or anyone else at the top ever acknowledged it though.

It wasn't dropped though, they're still sending stuff out to vulnerable people telling them to quarantine themselves, they're still telling people to isolate for 7 days if they get it and then go out again, they're still planning to be done with this in 12 weeks

The "lockdown" stuff only happened recently and that's still half hearted. Don't go to work unless you have to oh your boss says you have to and there's also no support for you :shobon:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XMNN posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress

Why do I keep coming back to this thread, goddamn it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

hemale in pain posted:

also i dont wanna be a jerk but maybe dont move to the countryside and then get annoyed when others do the same? i dunno

"Why are all these people here?"

- person in countryside

- also, person in a shop

- also, person in car on a road

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

This once happened to me but my shower was on and all my clothes were in it for some reason but I was in bed bone dry and to this day I've not worked out what the hell happened
Someone was sick on your clothes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"Why are all these people here?"

- person in countryside

- also, person in a shop

- also, person in car on a road

Are you suggesting all these people should be righteously angry?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Guavanaut posted:

Someone was sick on your clothes.

Someone might also have wet your pants

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Tomberforce posted:

My pal who works at a large-ish hospital in Lancashire is saying their ICU is full and they're converting other wards for more capacity, though thinks it'll be alright so long as patients leave within a few days

josh04 posted:

How big will the coronavirus memorial be do you think?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think it's a "you're not stuck in traffic you are traffic" point

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well when it comes to "people in a car on a road", righteously angry is the default setting anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Someone might also have wet your pants
But lacking a window into the world of the blackout drunk, we may never know who.

justcola posted:

They'll print the names on pieces of 2.5m cladding and fit them on Grenfell.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

A large obsidian black featureless cube in the center of every town proportional in size to the death toll. It has sensors that when you get within 2m it starts screaming

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd always been terrified of the idea of going under but I had general anaesthetic for the first time a few months ago and it wasn't too bad. Maybe it's because I knew the procedure wasn't going to be a tricky one and I was pretty much guaranteed to wake up. I'll have to post that story sometime. Always use a flared base.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

i don't know if it's come up yet but i'm sure you'll all be happy to know that Paul Chuckle got the bug but he's on the mend now

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I had a general anaesthetic as a kid to get my adenoids taken out but never since then. Since developing diabetes I have been loving terrified of the idea, in all honesty, and will do pretty much anything to avoid it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Finally watched that goat video and saw this in related (?) tweets and had a big ol' belly laugh

https://twitter.com/BobJWilliams/status/1244742002253746176

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I wish someone would put me to sleep. Not with their posting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

justcola posted:

I think they'll find some space for it around the base of the monument to boris's glorious brexit.

e:

Barry Foster posted:

i don't know if it's come up yet but i'm sure you'll all be happy to know that Paul Chuckle got the bug but he's on the mend now

Some good news. Was hearing unconfirmed reports that he was passing it back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had general anaesthetic ten days ago, didn't feel anything whatsoever. No cold sensation when they clipped the tube into the cannula, no sensation of going to sleep, nothing. Didn't even get a countdown, they just gave me a mask to hold over my mouth and asked me what I did for a living, I started answering, then I just kind of blinked and realised I was in a different room and became aware of a dull pain where they'd done the op.