Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In case anyone is interested, this is why adding a "." at the end of most news site urls bypasses the paywall. TLDR: the people programming the scripts have an incomplete understanding of how DNS works and don't check for the rarely used but valid complete form.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_qualified_domain_name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

For a self proclaimed progressive, this comes across incredibly narcissistic and callous.

PookBear posted:

lmao shut the gently caress up forever

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Woofer posted:

Doctors and nurses are being screwed by the same administration that is asking them to put their lives on the line.

People are allowed to be jaded by this. It’s hosed up.

No one is in disagreement about any of this.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache posted:

No one is in disagreement about any of this.

But people are expressing it and you’re responding as if they are wrong for it.

So you’re just an rear end in a top hat.

Sometimes I don’t want to do my job as a loving accountant because the hours get long. It’s probably a normal feeling for a nurse to not want to do their job right now, considering how they are getting hung out to dry.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Woofer posted:

But people are expressing it and you’re responding as if they are wrong for it.

So you’re just an rear end in a top hat.

Sometimes I don’t want to do my job as a loving accountant because the hours get long. It’s probably a normal feeling for a nurse to not want to do their job right now, considering how they are getting hung out to dry.

I'm not telling a nurse, doctor, or paramedic not to feel fatigued. I'm telling the internet rebel that said nurses and doctors shouldnt be taking the risks they're already taking every day that he comes across as an rear end in a top hat.

The first response to the post that kicked this all off was a firefighter- windshipper- stating that he does this for his family and community even if it puts him at risk. We all know they're sacrificing far more than they should, and I think pookbear's flippant venting about the sacrifices other people are making is lovely and selfish. Unless I missed something and pookbear is busting rear end in a hospital right now?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache posted:

I'm not telling a nurse, doctor, or paramedic not to feel fatigued. I'm telling the internet rebel that said nurses and doctors shouldnt be taking the risks they're already taking every day that he comes across as an rear end in a top hat.

The first response to the post that kicked this all off was a firefighter- windshipper- stating that he does this for his family and community even if it puts him at risk. We all know they're sacrificing far more than they should, and I think pookbear's flippant venting about the sacrifices other people are making is lovely and selfish. Unless I missed something and pookbear is busting rear end in a hospital right now?

So you’re mad at how people are feeling and expressing themselves during a pandemic.

Got it.

You don’t need to give a replay. You’ve been pointed out as the rear end in a top hat in this situation by several people. Take the hint, dude.

E: I do find it funny though, that saying “I wouldn’t risk my life when I’m getting no support from the government during an international crisis” is a controversial thought that set you off on this crusade against normal feelings. It’s called empathy, you empty human.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 31, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Pookbear, if you're working in medicine, I am sorry I misinterpreted your venting. You and your colleagues are heroes who are doing more than your fair share to protect all of us. I applaud the risks you take every day of this pandemic and I hope you and yours all pull through this ok. I know how hard it must be running the risks of bringing this virus home every time you come back from a 16 hour shift. You're doing a good thing.

Edit

VVVVV
This is what I meant. Appreciate what you're doing, windshipper. I know the next few months are going to be absolute hell for you.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 31, 2020

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
People can feel free to vent all they want, but they’ll be the ones who are hosed if we listen to them when they tell us not to do our jobs.

Just fuckin laughing at someone telling me or my wife not to do our jobs because we got screwed. Yeah, we loving know it, but now is when we really loving have to do our jobs. This is the type of poo poo that’s why we became a firefighter/EMT and an ER Nurse. It loving sucks, it’s a grind but, it’s the whole concept of this is the poo poo hitting the fan, this is when you’re needed.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1245016858677456900?s=20 :stonk:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
$6/hr is good money for prisoners. Lot of prison jobs pay absolutely gently caress-all. There's going to be guys fighting over those jobs.

E: link
https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2017/04/10/wages/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

In case anyone is interested, this is why adding a "." at the end of most news site urls bypasses the paywall. TLDR: the people programming the scripts have an incomplete understanding of how DNS works and don't check for the rarely used but valid complete form.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_qualified_domain_name

That seems like an easy "bug" fix though, and there's no way they aren't aware of the workaround.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I suspect it has to do with how web crawlers operate.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

$6/hr is good money for prisoners. Lot of prison jobs pay absolutely gently caress-all. There's going to be guys fighting over those jobs.

Thank goodness for that 13th amendment, so we don't have to pay prisoners minimum wage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Except its Rikers, notable for holding people not even convicted of crimes over $250 dollar fines.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can't fight over the job if you got the Rona in prison already.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not saying it's right, just saying it is probably the best paying prison job there right now and people will probably fight over it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A nation wide weeks long surge of cases requiring triage is going to cause a pretty big mental health care problem in our medical industry. It is not something you can do even once at a mass casualty incident without some method of coping and processing. Doing it every day, all day, for weeks is going to leave scars.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird food bathtub posted:

A nation wide weeks long surge of cases requiring triage is going to cause a pretty big mental health care problem in our medical industry. It is not something you can do even once at a mass casualty incident without some method of coping and processing. Doing it every day, all day, for weeks is going to leave scars.

This is why I checked into/out of the VA mental health ward almost a month ago. Get in then or not get in at all.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Most of my family are docs in hospitals in the NYC area. It hasn't even peaked and they're already having trouble. Hackensack is currently trying to get more beds in their cafeteria.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, when Rikers is offering $6/hr to dig mass graves you know poo poo is only starting. Right now someone is dying in NYC to COVID-19 every 4 minutes and that rate is increasing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Better than the $3 a day California pays inmates to fight forest fires.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Supernova levels of username-content energy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Most of my family are docs in hospitals in the NYC area. It hasn't even peaked and they're already having trouble. Hackensack is currently trying to get more beds in their cafeteria.

Looking at the GIS map it's loving astounding to me. Georgia is reporting something like 3k confirmed cases and NYC is reporting 1k confirmed DEATHs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

You’re being incredibly snarky in your responses and it comes off as incredibly condescending.

You just like to argue so you find stuff to argue about.

Doctors and nurses are being screwed by the same administration that is asking them to put their lives on the line.

People are allowed to be jaded by this. It’s hosed up.

On the other hand, pook has been probated repeatedly for cheering for old people dying and is still doing it so he's kind of hosed in the head.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

windshipper posted:

People can feel free to vent all they want, but they’ll be the ones who are hosed if we listen to them when they tell us not to do our jobs.

Just fuckin laughing at someone telling me or my wife not to do our jobs because we got screwed. Yeah, we loving know it, but now is when we really loving have to do our jobs. This is the type of poo poo that’s why we became a firefighter/EMT and an ER Nurse. It loving sucks, it’s a grind but, it’s the whole concept of this is the poo poo hitting the fan, this is when you’re needed.

I am not laughing at you or your wife nor do I think ill of you at all. In fact its the opposite and I think any medical workers braving these conditions to help others are heroes.

My point however is that our government is actively making the situation worse in order to tax the rich less which is going to result in dead medical workers. This, in my mind, invalidates any social contract medical workers have to their community, because their community has abandoned them. If people died as a direct result of windshipper and their wife walking away from a hospital with unsafe conditions that could have been prevented, then the moral weight of those deaths should be draped upon the shoulders of our country's leaders and them alone.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If the government can't provide basic protective gear for health care workers, you are basically giving them a potential death sentence or gonna take them out of action and make them sick, taking away a massive amount of resources and care for everyone else.

It might seem like a cold, cold, calculus, but that's what pandemics are. So if you want to stay home until you can get some protective gear I won't bear a grudge against you at all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Uhh we have plenty of CHURCHES. Don't forget to tithe!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

On this forum we only have CHVRCHES

ok it’s a CSPAM joke but STILL

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PookBear posted:

I am not laughing at you or your wife nor do I think ill of you at all. In fact its the opposite and I think any medical workers braving these conditions to help others are heroes.

My point however is that our government is actively making the situation worse in order to tax the rich less which is going to result in dead medical workers. This, in my mind, invalidates any social contract medical workers have to their community, because their community has abandoned them. If people died as a direct result of windshipper and their wife walking away from a hospital with unsafe conditions that could have been prevented, then the moral weight of those deaths should be draped upon the shoulders of our country's leaders and them alone.

But they won't, because that's not how people's emotions work.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PookBear posted:

My point however is that our government is actively making the situation worse in order to tax the rich less which is going to result in dead medical workers. This, in my mind, invalidates any social contract medical workers have to their community, because their community has abandoned them.

This might almost mean something if the patients were the same as the government officials who hosed things up. They aren't, so it's just deranged sociopathy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're closed now too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean after.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This might almost mean something if the patients were the same as the government officials who hosed things up. They aren't, so it's just deranged sociopathy.

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

My immuno compromised brother with damaged lungs because of the cancer he suffered from as a child, who works as an instructor for autistic children, is the person who is going to suffer and die if nurses and doctors strike to make a point about how lovely Trump and the federal government have been. Now thankfully, first responders like windshipper have been stepping up and doing more than they already did before, and that's good. Accelerationist views like pookbear's dont punish the elite, they lead to people on the bottom like my brother and the children he helps suffering.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive because it hits close to home, but gently caress sick views like Pookbear appears to be promoting, and gently caress people who want to defend those views as appropriate venting.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Chichevache posted:

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

My immuno compromised brother with damaged lungs because of the cancer he suffered from as a child, who works as an instructor for autistic children, is the person who is going to suffer and die if nurses and doctors strike to make a point about how lovely Trump and the federal government have been. Now thankfully, first responders like windshipper have been stepping up and doing more than they already did before, and that's good. Accelerationist views like pookbear's dont punish the elite, they lead to people on the bottom like my brother and the children he helps suffering.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive because it hits close to home, but gently caress sick views like Pookbear appears to be promoting, and gently caress people who want to defend those views as appropriate venting.

This.

orange juche posted:

But they won't, because that's not how people's emotions work.

This.

And this.

My wife wasn’t a huge fan of the hospital she was is working at before this, but now with the workload and high acuity of all the patients she sees, she’s feeling San though she wants to take at least a year off of healthcare when this is done - however long that might take.

I’m lucky, my department has a shitload of Tyvek suits leftover from Ebola scare. The N95s are a problem though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Anthony Scarramucci is on Sky News talking about the american response to covid-19.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What level of preventable risk should we ask people in the medical field to take? Should a single mother nurse risk turning her children into orphans or worse infecting them when she comes home from work because we failed to provide her with basic PPE?

All I'm trying to say is that its a lovely situation and that I personally wouldn't blame anyone for refusing to risk their health or the health of their loved ones due to preventable risk factors.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cugel the Clever posted:

Where are you seeing this, exactly? As far as I know, the CDC and others have from the start been advising average people not to hoard masks explicitly because they are both more needed by and more effective with trained medical professionals.

Could it be just your lovely local hospital administration?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/california-protective-equipment-shortage-pushes-nurses-consider-drastic-action-n1168976

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2020/03/23/bay-area-kaiser-nurses-protest-lack-of-personal.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/health-care-workers-protest-lack-of-protective-equipment-2020-03-28/

The guidelines the CDC gave to the hospitals is not what they put out in the news. The hospitals did not go out of their way to buy proper PPE when they saw this coming because of it.

My knowledge of this is not some 5th hand bullshit or conspiracy nonsense. Up until the Kaiser nurses had a massive protest in the bay area the official stance was you do not need masks and gowns for every patient, and we will not accept donations of PPE nor can you use your own PPE.

My wife has been working with people doing donations from overseas to get critically needed PPE to the hospitals that need it. In addition to working long as hell hours at her own hospital.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PookBear posted:

What level of preventable risk should we ask people in the medical field to take? Should a single mother nurse risk turning her children into orphans or worse infecting them when she comes home from work because we failed to provide her with basic PPE?

All I'm trying to say is that its a lovely situation and that I personally wouldn't blame anyone for refusing to risk their health or the health of their loved ones due to preventable risk factors.

Stop trying to imply you actually thought about any of this before you said what you said.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Meanwhile one of my sisters who is a nurse just got fired because

quote:

I started a new job at a new hospital that was supposed to open in April. That isn't happening now because the governmental agency that needs to approve our opening is from out of state so they can't come. So now we don't know when it's opening. They are sending a ton of people home right now.

So now her and her coworkers are fully capable medical professionals who are just sort of sitting at home on standby and having to file for unemployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Jesus Christ just close this loving thread you are all insufferable