Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Soonmot posted:

EDIT:

The comicon farm has an enemy named Florence Fightengale and that's too good a loving name for an npc
Pretty sure all the names from that farm come from other players, so sadly it's probably already taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
yeah, I am pretty sure I beat the poo poo out of former Groot Force leader Sea Lily's Spiderbite a few times in that farm

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Spiderbite is in there. Thanks for the advice, I'm at level 26 and can comfortable solo 4/+0 pretty quickly.

edit: HOLY poo poo BURN IS loving AMAZING

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 19, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its true, spiderbite is in there. please enjoy kicking my rear end

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
All this talk about tank vs brute for farming is tripping my indesiciveness OCD, which has always been a problem for me with this drat game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Comfortador posted:

All this talk about tank vs brute for farming is tripping my indesiciveness OCD, which has always been a problem for me with this drat game.

Honestly it sounds like Tanker is a better choice these days on Homecoming given that it's easier to get defensively strong enough to be useful outside of AE fire farms while being really really close in farming efficiency.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bieeanshee posted:

"We're running a pirated version of an old MMO, but we're still going to police copyright, drat it."

It's almost like being sued by trigger-happy companies for IP infringement would be a bad thing or something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm already in my low 40's and running 8/+1 solo, burn was a game changer. Surprisingly, this isn't as boring as I thought it would be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I find AE farming kind of fun. I don't tend to do it for more than 30-60 minutes at a time but it's kind of chill to sit down and beat up a bunch of AE mobs and roll in the influence.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

for me it's something i usually do in the morning when i'm waking up before work, i pop in and do one set of the 5 asteroid maps and call it good. about 50m for that, ~30m tops at a chill rate. keeps it from getting stale while keeping a nice money flow.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
which one of you are gamergirl bathwater?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

jesus gently caress, maybe I SHOULD do that. What other builds work for farming? If something clicks for me, I could give it a shot.

I thought you could fake it with Titan/Fire brute, but nooooooooo it doesn't really work at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love AE farming because I can send myself emails full of 5 Mil influence to make alts nice and fat.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

I thought you could fake it with Titan/Fire brute, but nooooooooo it doesn't really work at all.

Titan/Fire brute is how I do it, it's alot of fun.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I am way to proud of this dumb gimmick character i came up with this morning. I run everything through a text to Morse code translator.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I saw you in LFG. Its an original gimmick, I'll give you that. :)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I made one guy an all black and white mesh costume back during live and called him Whitenoise McStatic, I wrote him a paragraph long bio which I then converted to all Os in random case. It looked hilarious, and it was completely meaningless to anyone but me because I knew what the bio said but no one else really could. Still worth it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So once I finish getting IOs for my farmer, I guess I should start crafting incarnate stuff since all those slots are now unlocked. Are the recipes and components on the auction house? What's the deal with this system?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Soonmot posted:

So once I finish getting IOs for my farmer, I guess I should start crafting incarnate stuff since all those slots are now unlocked. Are the recipes and components on the auction house? What's the deal with this system?

No, the Incarnate system is siloed off from everything else and relatively self-contained. If you go to Powers -> Incarnate Abilities and you'll be able to see everything. Normally you'd be expected to go run a bunch of raids (or Dark Astoria content) to get components, but in this version of the game you also get a bunch of Empyrean Merits for free every time you "level" past 50 three times, which can then be used to buy components directly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

No, the Incarnate system is siloed off from everything else and relatively self-contained. If you go to Powers -> Incarnate Abilities and you'll be able to see everything. Normally you'd be expected to go run a bunch of raids (or Dark Astoria content) to get components, but in this version of the game you also get a bunch of Empyrean Merits for free every time you "level" past 50 three times, which can then be used to buy components directly.

Ahhh so I shouldn't turn off XP to get more influence in the farm then? I already have a handful of threads and such in my inventory, but clicking the empty slot wasn't helping.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm the farthest thing from an expert when it comes to farming tactics, but yeah, you're gonna need XP for at least a little while. The system is frontloaded such that you can get Rares slotted in everything relatively quickly.

There should be extra tabs on the Incarnate menu that show all the stuff. Pretty sure, anyway. It's been a while and the UI is atrocious.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Ahhh so I shouldn't turn off XP to get more influence in the farm then? I already have a handful of threads and such in my inventory, but clicking the empty slot wasn't helping.

you will max your incarnate system megafast while farming, so eat the lower income for a few hours to speed up all the hours after that

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have all the slots unlocked, just need those emp merits now

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man all this talk about fire armor is making me feel kind of bad that I rolled up Bio/Rad for my tanker.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fire Armor isn't the best for just general Tanker play so don't feel bad. It's wildly popular specifically because it lets you farm AE missions that are designed to be farmed by Fire Armor Brutes or Tankers. For general play it's nothing special.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

Patch is live!

(I might actually use that name)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
That new Electrical Affinity powerset seems kind of loving bonkers. All of your abilities bounce around and you have an AoE rez that also puts all nearby enemies to sleep.

Also it looks like people are losing their poo poo at the patch notes, they directly nerfed bonus influence gain for freezing your experience. People are lamenting that level 49 farming is dead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Was level 49 farming any better than just going all-in and going incarnate on your farmer?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i don't know, but it also broke the farms. I went to run one this morning and the mission autocompleted as I tried to enter.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

Was level 49 farming any better than just going all-in and going incarnate on your farmer?

At some point you'd be done with that, though. Exemplar farming did give better influence, though I didn't usually worry about it if I couldn't find an exemplar version of a farm I liked.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

It seems the trick wasn't that you froze your level at 49. Instead, you took your maxed out farming char. into an AE mission that auto-exemplared you to 49, ran the mission with XP to Influence option turned on, and did so with maxed out Patrol XP (which multiplied your XP gains by 1.5). The result would be that your farmer would be generating 1.5 times the vet. level XP and that would be converted to influence in addition to the influence you were already getting as a level 50+ character.

The Homecoming Devs are saying this use of patrol xp was an exploit, and farming for influence rather than drops was an abuse of the system. I'm fine with the former but I don't quite buy the latter. Farming for inf./drops/XP were overlapping things on Live and since Homecoming has opened last Spring. But, I suppose one could argue that it was always an abuse, and the Live Devs just gave up on hitting the hornets' nest that was AE after a certain point.

Needless to say, many pubbies are having a complete meltdown. Which frankly amuses and baffles me, who has most of their inf. through converting merits to converters and flipping purples (relatively passive/easy things to do).

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I can pretty easily generate more money than I can ever use just by afk farming and crafting/converting the drops. HC is pretty farm-friendly. I've asked GMs details about the multi-box policy and talked about afk farming and PLing in Discord with them, and they've been supportive and helpful. People are losing their poo poo over nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess I don't understand the meltdowns because it's not like you can't still make mountains of influence AE farming with the exact same builds, just now at level 50 and maybe a little slower?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Harrow posted:

I guess I don't understand the meltdowns because it's not like you can't still make mountains of influence AE farming with the exact same builds, just now at level 50 and maybe a little slower?

The result is now that nothing gets the inf bonus anymore. As in, there's no point to disabling your XP at level 50 because there's no bonus or trade-off anymore.

So they stealth nerfed inf gains by roughly half if you were regularly using level 49 AE maps, or a little less if you were just farming normally. They're claiming this is an exploit fix (which is also why it got snuck in untested at the last minute and is now breaking AE maps) for the level 49 maps, but also piggybacked getting rid of the double inf onto it to "reduce income inequality" which was working as intended for the longest time.

I'm guessing the meltdowns are probably because it's shady and dumb and they forced it out to avoid any discussion on the matter, because they knew it wouldn't go over well.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Well, the April Fools stuff is live. Everyone gets a Toy Bat, with which you can whack any player or mob for brawl damage. Plus it's 'Take Your Kid To Work Day', which means everyone also gets a Baby New Year following them around.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The whining in #coh-general on the HC discord is pretty funny.

"Yeah, I wasn't uh.... - I mean, I always expect some RP griefers in any game. I just didn't think the devs themselves were going to be doing it. - RIP anyone who had group RP and/or commemorative screenshots planned for today."

I don't know, maybe take the stick out for a day?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Brawl also sends enemies into the loving stratosphere and does a lot of damage and shoots fireworks and whoops just knocked myself back

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Why can't they just be happy they get to play CoH for free in 2020?

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Gorgar posted:

The whining in #coh-general on the HC discord is pretty funny.

"Yeah, I wasn't uh.... - I mean, I always expect some RP griefers in any game. I just didn't think the devs themselves were going to be doing it. - RIP anyone who had group RP and/or commemorative screenshots planned for today."

I don't know, maybe take the stick out for a day?

the real issue is the kids have the collision so it is 100% possible to get yourself stuck in certain mission entrances/exits now with no possible solution beyond logging in and out and hoping they don't appear in the same spot since they're not dismissable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Well, the April Fools stuff is live. Everyone gets a Toy Bat, with which you can whack any player or mob for brawl damage. Plus it's 'Take Your Kid To Work Day', which means everyone also gets a Baby New Year following them around.

Considering the Nerf Bat was originally added for the express purpose of trolling people peeking at the PIGG files, I am quite tickled to see it actually released at long last.