Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

he is anything but colossal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You really gotta hand it to him

dammit

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fosborb posted:

I inherited this from my grandpa who was a legit cobbler. it's bad rear end

My uncle has the motor from one of those laying around that he uses for various DIY stuff. It's usually the only piece of whatever rig he's made that works properly/survives intact. In fact, half the time the issue is that it's too loving strong

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

FAUXTON posted:

he is anything but colossal

the cowardice is colossal, not the piece of poo poo

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One bike length people

https://twitter.com/BaltCoPolice/status/1245065395977011206

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Hold on dont intubate me yet there are a few billionaires I gotta thank

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Musk already made good on 1,000 ventilators for CA.

Drop in the bucket realistically but if he wants to devote his money/energies to getting working machines to places that need them in exchange for Twitter publicity, I'll take it, especially given LA had to refurbish the less than 200 sent by the federal government.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

NofrikinfuN posted:

wait, if its in the poop, why arent we all mailing in poop samples for testing?

it solves the testing problem AND the mail problem

I'm going to get my poop hole swabbed even if it kills me.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
At some point isn't one of these plague ship aircraft carrier commanders going to realize that if he needs PPE or facilities for social distancing no one can really stop him from going to some tropical island with lots of empty hotel rooms and taking them, or defecting?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

are there any studies yet showing if parents of young children might have any level of immunity due to the nonstop stream of coronaviruses we get coughed in our face on a daily basis? looking for some good news anywhere I can find it

Last I read no and the "kids are less at risk because they always have a cold" doesn't really mesh w our understanding of their dumb rear end baby immune systems that don't work good

Edit: I wish it were true since no exaggerating my kid has gotten me sick 4 times since Jan 23.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
any suggestions for reusable face masks? pref with a replaceable filter element

I'm sewing some from old tshirts as a stop gap, but I'd like something easier/quicker to reliably disinfect surface of (ie, some kind of polymer not fabric)

would like for it to look tastefully apocalyptic--like closer to Mortal Kombat than to STALKER--but I'm open to whatever honestly. beggars and choosers, and all that

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

If you're close enough to smell their fart you're too drat close

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

eighty-four merc posted:

I'm sewing some from old tshirts as a stop gap, but I'd like something easier/quicker to reliably disinfect surface of (ie, some kind of polymer not fabric)

would like for it to look tastefully apocalyptic--like closer to Mortal Kombat than to STALKER--but I'm open to whatever honestly. beggars and choosers, and all that

too late to get your hands on anything tbh

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

eighty-four merc posted:

i'm doing this pattern: https://sweetredpoppy.com/how-to-sew-a-fitted-fabric-mask/

but my own thing for securing it to head, I put little loops of webbing on sides and run a shoe lace through it and tie it up like for this mask: https://diymask.site/

i leave the top open a bit to flip it around with constructing, and i could fit a cut down bit of furnace air filter in if i really wanted to add some filtering power (otherwise it's a nice fabric cough shield)

edit: oh and I put a tiny pleat in the sides to hold it more flat against face, and i put a bit of bailing wire stitched inside the top as a form for your nose

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 31, 2020

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I am not even attempting to find or make a mask. If I need a mask now, then I really needed one over the last four weeks.

Unsound logic perhaps but I'm just limiting my time outside at this point.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
'A 13-year-old boy in London who tested positive has died, Kings College hospital has said. He is believed to be the youngest victim of the outbreak in the UK. According to the Press Association, the victim was 13-year-old Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab from Brixton, in south London. His family has said he died in hospital in the early hours of Monday and had no apparent underlying health conditions.'

:smith:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KLFY/status/1245052503563083776

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/NYTLiz/status/1245072928619859969

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Mister Bates posted:

It feels like there's a huge disconnect between the data and what I'm actually experiencing in day-to-day life, and it's loving with my head a bit.

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and practically everything is normal. Most businesses are open, traffic is the same as always, there's tons of people out on the streets, the majority of my neighbors are at work. The construction site next door is as busy as it's ever been. Even the extremely lax rules the city has put in place aren't really being enforced; there were definitely more than ten customers in the convenience store when I gassed up my car this morning. I have been staying at home out of caution because I was feeling a bit sick last week, and I'm the only employee at my entire company doing so; some guys are on reduced hours, but that's about it. It's uncomfortable, like I'm the weird one for taking this poo poo seriously.

Statistically I know we haven't even hit peak yet and this is going to get much worse but it's screwing with me that not a soul seems to be acting as if that were the case.

Uh oh.. New York will make the news, but the worst place, most severily hit by coronavirus will not be New York. Is all about how a city play his cards, and what you say make me think your beloved city is playing all the bad cards the wrong way. Hope I am wrong, I am wrong often, but looks bad.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vishass posted:

Last I read no and the "kids are less at risk because they always have a cold" doesn't really mesh w our understanding of their dumb rear end baby immune systems that don't work good

Edit: I wish it were true since no exaggerating my kid has gotten me sick 4 times since Jan 23.

my theory is that it has more to do with ability to heal damaged cells faster, especially since complications like diabetes and hypertension also affect time to heal

basically kids are brand new cell factories capable of patching holes faster than their decrepit, run-down adult counterparts, so when covid starts blowing holes in their lungs, they just patch them back up while people with comorbidities and just plain advanced age lag behind and eventually just succumb to the damage

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Drop in the bucket realistically but if he wants to devote his money/energies to getting working machines to places that need them in exchange for Twitter publicity, I'll take it, especially given LA had to refurbish the less than 200 sent by the federal government.

We shouldn't need to rely on billionaires making good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I am not even attempting to find or make a mask. If I need a mask now, then I really needed one over the last four weeks.

Unsound logic perhaps but I'm just limiting my time outside at this point.

I use a face shield, you know the kind from the hardware store. Keeps me from touching my face, and doubles as a sneeze guard if someone sneezes in my face.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tei posted:

Uh oh.. New York will make the news, but the worst place, most severily hit by coronavirus will not be New York. Is all about how a city play his cards, and what you say make me think your beloved city is playing all the bad cards the wrong way. Hope I am wrong, I am wrong often, but looks bad.

Tulsa, OK is also several orders of magnitude less dense than NYC

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
a lot of fully in stock emergency medical kits come with a few face masks. thats how i got the couple i have around here. ymmv

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's ok to extort people if you are capital, but not if you are labor

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

How are we all going to celebrate Rent Day tomorrow, goons?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

alternatively, "kids are protected because they always have a cold" could have merit because their immune response has already triggered and they are actively killing off diseases as they are trying to gain a foothold

kinda like covid is getting caught in a crossfire between the immune system and another infection

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

my best friend's wife , a respiratory therapist, said they're now out of masks in southwest ohio, my friend is absolutely distraught knowing the incidence rate for RTs

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We shouldn't need to rely on billionaires making good

Agreed!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

my best friend's wife , a respiratory therapist, said they're now out of masks in southwest ohio, my friend is absolutely distraught knowing the incidence rate for RTs

Mcmaster carr has full face gas mask style respirators listed as "delivers thursday" for me, numerous models and sizes but all N95 or greater.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

lmfao

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was an early-stage study posted earlier that suggested that infected people are more likely to go out and socialize and postulated that the virus may be driving them to do it

you mean it's like controlling their beheavior? that's some heavy poo poo man

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

didn't he buy them from china though? i mean good on him for actually coming through at all for once on his dumb grandstanding but still lol

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

These people should walk off the job. If we as a society have failed to even provide basic protective equipment to health care workers, we are not entitled to their care. They are under no obligation to die preventable deaths because of our hosed up government and oligarchy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Day Man posted:

These people should walk off the job. If we as a society have failed to even provide basic protective equipment to health care workers, we are not entitled to their care. They are under no obligation to die preventable deaths because of our hosed up government and oligarchy.

I see the best masks available IN STOCK AT RETAIL

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

:wow:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

How are we all going to celebrate Rent Day tomorrow, goons?

So the house I'm renting got sold literally the week before the coronavirus suddenly jumped into the American consciousness. My old landlord collected the gas and water and told us the new one would be by. I never got their name or phone number. We kept the rent in an envelope for them all month but they never came. Now rent is supposedly due again tomorrow and I still don't know who bought the house or what their name or number is or anything. All I know is they bought the house along with four others around me and are going to tear them all down and build business buildings of some kind where they are. We are the last tenants

Oh and also we signed a six month lease here four and a half years ago and never signed another one and have just gone month to month with the old landlord since, who was really cool.

Long story short: lmao I'm never paying another cent of rent here, if they ever come looking for it we are just gonna move out immediately

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Impkins Patootie posted:

you mean it's like controlling their beheavior? that's some heavy poo poo man

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/11/how-the-zombie-fungus-takes-over-ants-bodies-to-control-their-minds/545864/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

didn't he buy them from china though? i mean good on him for actually coming through at all for once on his dumb grandstanding but still lol

Yup.