Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

This is morbidly funny after he recorded a spot warning kids to wash their hands. The only thing worse would be if Aoi Yuuki got it while she's playing the pink in the doctor Precure.

Speaking of which, is there any word on whether Toei’s animated features (Precure, One Piece, etc.) will also be affected by the shutdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
All of Toei's live action studios seem to have shut down from this (since obviously the actor was around everybody, being the lead and all) but I don't think their animation studios have? All it might take for that is some animator getting it though, I imagine.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
What happened to the original Vul Eagle again that warranted the replacement?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Owashi's actor, Ryusuke Kawasaki, was a singer working on his brand, so he was scheduled for only a limited run as VulEagle so that he could focus on his album release.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Random sentai opinions time! Hi, I haven't watched toku in years due to burnout, Go-Busters spoiling me, and being generally distracted. But now covid is back and I need something really light and easy to enjoy. Sentai has been the focus as I'm not up for Ultraman, Kamen Riders tend to be darker, and I've been curious about sentais for ages. So here we are, all the stuff I've tried this week:

Flashman: got two and a half episodes in, and I just do not have patience for it at the moment. The writing might begin to do something, and I heard it has an incredible duel later in the series, but the older style just isn't what I want right now.

Abaranger: I'm watching episode six now and this is lovely. A little too silly at times, but it's so heartfelt and comforting. I really like blue ranger, and the black ranger is trying his best, even with a broken transformation gadget. The CGI is also hilariously bad, as it's in that period after the great special effects of Bioman and Flashman and such, but before CGI got to any kind of quality. Also the suit designs are the best. The best.

Kiramager: I am so profoundly charmed by this show, to the point that I will forgive all of its faults if it can just keep up this charm. I smile my way through every episode and can't wait for the next one. Except, well, episode four is staring at me and I'm struggling to want to watch it because I'm worried for red ranger and all of the Toei staff. :(

Gekiranger: Started this today and I really like it! I'm going to repeat myself constantly here: heartwarming! Charming! I want to see the rangers become a team and become friends! More watching to follow.

I suspect I will also spontaneously start Kyuranger with intention to finish it, but we'll see - I have no watching schedule outside of "whenever the covid news gets too much for me to handle". In a perfect world I'd finish everything but who knows. Either way: god this franchise is just what I needed, comforting and warm.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Watch Kamen Rider Fourze, Strix.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Watch Kamen Rider Fourze, Strix.

This but also watch Ex-Aid and liveblog your reactions.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Here is my obligatory post saying to watch Go-Onger.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

This but also watch Ex-Aid and liveblog your reactions.

I'm afraid you're late to this one - when I first got into toku, Ex-aid was airing. I cheerfully marathoned Kuuga as my first toku, was devastated and loved it, and decided to try the most modern Kamen Rider! .... extreme whiplash followed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Abaranger 6: The monster went around aging up girls into 80+ year olds. Yellow ranger had to help her idol friend get over this panic so she could go join the fight, whereupon she used a tennis racket to shove tennis balls up the monster's nose to prevent it from firing bombs at them. Then they blew it up while the background music was the idol singing about how men are just terrible, but she loves them anyways.

sentai!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm afraid you're late to this one - when I first got into toku, Ex-aid was airing. I cheerfully marathoned Kuuga as my first toku, was devastated and loved it, and decided to try the most modern Kamen Rider! .... extreme whiplash followed.

I ALREADY APOLOGIZED

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I mean, Thouser and Yaiba's new Raid Riser aren't really power creeping on Metal Cluster Hopper. The only reason Aruto should lose is because he's just too demoralized to defend Izu.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's nearly five thousand people watching Kamen Rider on Shout! Factor's Twitch channel. That's kinda cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/toei_ROBOCON/status/1245108639372722176?s=20

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kiramager 4: kind of a slow, meh episode, but it made up for it with a great fight in the second half. I'm glad I watched it, and I look forward to Yellow's rebellion next episode!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

April 1st in Japan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Ignis posted:

April 1st in Japan

They're insisting that it's real

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shout Factory's apparently been showing the original Kamen Rider today.

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Gripweed posted:

They're insisting that it's real

course they are, it's the middle of the morning in Japan

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/LUusyQOnt1VO8A7/status/1244989358328803329

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Kiramai Red's Komiya! You should be ready now! Get well soon. The kids are waiting for your bravery."

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

could we not post Japanese tweets with out at least an effort to gave a translation or summation?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mateo360 posted:

could we not post Japanese tweets with out at least an effort to gave a translation or summation?

I'll give it a shot next time I slap a link in here.

Anyways, here are some extremely specific toku problems/questions:

- I've been mixing up goseiger and boukenger for some reason and I don't know how it happened. The suits look nothing alike.
- From my ongoing research, I believe the worst sentai shows are Ninninger and Ryusoulger. Or at least they're the least popular ones. Would anyone care to update me on bad sentai? (that I might actually watch someday just to verify?)
- Going from my reactions to Bioman, Liveman, Flashman, Zyuranger and other early sentai, I believe my cutoff point is around the 2000s, aka Timeranger. I haven't tried it yet, but Abaranger is close enough. Something about going into the 80s and 90s with toku shows just makes it tougher for me to watch? Not to say that they're bad, but I have to approach them differently. Meanwhile everything post 2000 is generally easy watching and a good time.

I'm settling on a selection of Abaranger, Gekiranger, and one other sentai to watch to the end (probably goseiger? kyuranger? who knows) and Kiramager whenever episodes drop. I don't need recs at this point, I just need to buckle down and watch.

And finally:

Kamen Rider Zero One episode one: I went into this with extremely low expectations because I hate stand up comedy, I don't like the suit design, and I was afraid it would be a cringe-fest of bad comedy and bad writing.... but instead, whoa! Actually good and dark cyberpunk! And the comedy stuff was kept to a minimum with some really stupid puns! The action was amazing, the suit was fun in motion, and the villain casually executing an attacker was chilling.

I'm down for more, but at a very slow pace because it's so dark and serious. I'm glad I checked it out though, because gosh, what a pleasant surprise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mateo360 posted:

If you click through theres a translate tweet button and also no.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

StrixNebulosa posted:

- From my ongoing research, I believe the worst sentai shows are Ninninger and Ryusoulger. Or at least they're the least popular ones. Would anyone care to update me on bad sentai? (that I might actually watch someday just to verify?)

Ryusoulger is definitely not on the Worst Sentai list. It's an okay Sentai, it suffers from wasting opportunities but it's far from terrible like Ninninger.

I'd say the worst Sentai I've watched are Ninninger (horrible overfocus on Red who's a really bad character with a just as bad actor, villains are as forgettable as it comes, great hero cast that's completely wasted), Lupinranger vs Patranger (interesting setup that goes nowhere, status quo never changes even by the last episode, Lupinrangers are forgettable and annoying, Patrangers are much better but are minor characters in a series named after them, toys go to Lupins even when they were blatantly not meant to and the series will happily lie to you about it), and to a much lesser extent Goseiger (very bland but not terrible, at least it has a very good villain).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Translating while sharing is a good and cool act but not an obligation to share at all imo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Older shows were made with different standards and ideas in mind. Different filming techniques, different standards of writing, different kinds of effects.

All this can contribute greatly to how well or how poorly you deal with a show if you are bothered by such things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Older shows were made with different standards and ideas in mind. Different filming techniques, different standards of writing, different kinds of effects.

All this can contribute greatly to how well or how poorly you deal with a show if you are bothered by such things.

Yeah, and I want to emphasize that I don't think the older shows are bad. They're just different, and for me that translates as tougher to watch, and given my current MO of easy watching, welp.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ryusoulger is definitely not on the Worst Sentai list. It's an okay Sentai, it suffers from wasting opportunities but it's far from terrible like Ninninger.

I'd say the worst Sentai I've watched are Ninninger (horrible overfocus on Red who's a really bad character with a just as bad actor, villains are as forgettable as it comes, great hero cast that's completely wasted), Lupinranger vs Patranger (interesting setup that goes nowhere, status quo never changes even by the last episode, Lupinrangers are forgettable and annoying, Patrangers are much better but are minor characters in a series named after them, toys go to Lupins even when they were blatantly not meant to and the series will happily lie to you about it), and to a much lesser extent Goseiger (very bland but not terrible, at least it has a very good villain).

Oh no, Lupat went bad? I thought it had a promising opening, but if they didn't do anything with it... :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Goseiger's first episode was... not good. Not a fan of the casual discrimination? "For being a [nationality] you're not half bad!" and they bring it up all the time when talking amongst themselves. Whoof.

Abaranger meanwhile - I'm on ep 7 and it's so heartwarming! He finally got his key fixed!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh no, Lupat went bad? I thought it had a promising opening, but if they didn't do anything with it... :(

"Went bad" is putting it incredibly lightly. It became a terrible show that wasted half its cast and lied to the audience in an incredibly blatant way. I have disliked other tokus but LuPat is the first and only time I felt one was genuinely looking down on me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
VSranger had two whole teams and decided to focus on the team where 1 of the worst reds I've seen was the focus and the blue basically didnt exist.

And then theres everything about Noel. The second Noel got added the show just took a nosedive in quality.

Just watch the 12 episodes that are Patrenger focused and you'll get all the best parts of the show.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Went bad" is putting it incredibly lightly. It became a terrible show that wasted half its cast and lied to the audience in an incredibly blatant way. I have disliked other tokus but LuPat is the first and only time I felt one was genuinely looking down on me.

I wonder if Noel actually originally was supposed to be a Gangler and they changed it for some reason. It's a shame if that's the case, I really liked Akira in ToQger because he was basically a MotW who got the same powers as the heroes and it was pretty awesome.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goseiger's first episode was... not good. Not a fan of the casual discrimination? "For being a [nationality] you're not half bad!" and they bring it up all the time when talking amongst themselves. Whoof.

That eventually goes away but yeah it's pretty annoying at the start.

I don't think Goseiger is exactly terrible, but it has little going for it aside from an admittedly cool main villain (even if some of the explanation the series gives for the things he did felt like bullshit, like it sort of implies that he wasn't actually defeated and he was only pretending to be controlled by the Matlantis group, when that doesn't seem to be the case. Or maybe he was lying to try and fool the Goseigers.) While some series are carried by the strength of their villains, for most of the series he isn't particularly interesting enough to be capable of that. Also Goseiger has a really bad problem of just throwing things that make no sense into the show for the sake of toys. This is sometimes a problem in other series too, but Mystic Brothers really was a waste of a mech that had no reason to exist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh dear. Can you give me in spoilers what it lied about? I'm curious, but finding out involves watching a 50 ep show.

Twelve by Pies, I'm glad to hear that they stop discriminating against each other. I'll keep going for at least 3-5 eps to judge it properly, but whoo, that first episode was bad compared to some of the others I've seen recently.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Goseiger came up with the idea of "Why not throw 30 Headers out there and see if they sell well?"

Evidently they didn't, because the Headers promptly stop mattering about halfway through the show and any kid who wanted to collect them was left out of luck. Guess you can buy the Gosei Cards instead!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

goseiger is...fine. i wouldn't actively recommend it to anyone asking for a great sentai to watch but i also wouldn't tell someone to stay away if they were specifically interested in it

the most fun part about it is seeing what b-movies get referenced in motw names

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't think LuPat is that bad, but it definitely squanders its overarching story potential and its only really good episodes are the ones about the teams interacting. The sixth ranger doesn't add anything but frustration, and the Ultrazord is hilariously awful, but the Patrangers are very good boys whenever they are on-screen, and the show makes it easier to root for them by making them the underdogs in terms of toys.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Meanwhile, Abaranger mixes comedy and some really strong character work (Asuka :( ) in the same episode and it really, really pays off and was lots of fun to watch!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Goseiger's opinion also varies on when you watched it. Like a lot of things, public opinion seemed to improve about the show after the MFC version dropped so, mileage may vary there too. (I personally feel that Goseiger starts out a bit slow but I'd still easily recommend it. The team eventually gels nicely and there's a lot of good character development. And yeah, if you're a fan of movies, there's a lot of really fun references all throughout the series.)

If it was a choice between watching Goseiger and Lupat, I'd recommend Goseiger over Lupat without question.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If I had to recommend a good older show, I'd say Liveman. It's one of the darker sentai, and I like its themes and ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Seiyal posted:

Goseiger's opinion also varies on when you watched it. Like a lot of things, public opinion seemed to improve about the show after the MFC version dropped so, mileage may vary there too. (I personally feel that Goseiger starts out a bit slow but I'd still easily recommend it. The team eventually gels nicely and there's a lot of good character development. And yeah, if you're a fan of movies, there's a lot of really fun references all throughout the series.)

If it was a choice between watching Goseiger and Lupat, I'd recommend Goseiger over Lupat without question.

Oh, that's good to hear! Teams coming together is easily my favorite part of sentai.

Gotta say, my favorite thing about Goseiger so far are the main villain designs. They are just some drat good bug-themed monsters, and I like that.

Junpei posted:

If I had to recommend a good older show, I'd say Liveman. It's one of the darker sentai, and I like its themes and ideas.

I saw two episodes of Liveman and have nothing but good things to say about it. Friends betraying friends, good practical effects for fighting, and the promise of more. I'd absolutely love to finish it someday. But not today.