Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
We’re still going into the closed library here in Houston to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

PostNouveau posted:

The tallest building in that photo

It's the giant USB stick that indicates the techbro dominance of our city

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

We’re still going into the closed library here in Houston to work.

What are y'all doing? Will the library start doing some sort of curbside pickup if people need to check out books?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

Still waiting for the top of the Frost Tower to peel back and reveal the doom laser.

The Frost Tower owns. It looks like a place Batman would stash like a smaller Batcave for when he's out and about. Like a little Bat Safehouse at the very top.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

radical meme posted:

I have mixed feelings about Churches and gun stores demanding to stay open. Idiots and fanatics should be allowed to infect themselves and hasten their demise, on the other hand, they will also infect innocent people who aren't idiots and fanatics.
Academy up here in Northern Brazoria County, which is essential for me, since my 5 week business trip to the States has turned into "uh we'll get back to you" on how long it's going to be now and I need more running / biking poo poo than I packed, has big signs everywhere limiting customers to 5 "units" of ammunition, which is very Texas. The cases of water, the dried goods, the stoves and cooking gas and so on? Take all you want!

Sir Tonk posted:

Also these fuckers across the street have been using an angle grinder for hours and it's getting real old.
Imagine that all day about 80 days a year, at random intervals and random durations up to a month or more, accompanied by a masonry bit drilling into a wall somewhere near you, and you can imagine living and working in Southeast Asia!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Academy up here in Northern Brazoria County, which is essential for me, since my 5 week business trip to the States has turned into "uh we'll get back to you" on how long it's going to be now and I need more running / biking poo poo than I packed, has big signs everywhere limiting customers to 5 "units" of ammunition, which is very Texas. The cases of water, the dried goods, the stoves and cooking gas and so on? Take all you want!
Imagine that all day about 80 days a year, at random intervals and random durations up to a month or more, accompanied by a masonry bit drilling into a wall somewhere near you, and you can imagine living and working in Southeast Asia!

Starting at dawn. Every hotel? Under construction. Living in a neighborhood? The place next door nothing but needle guns and masonry drills all day everyday. If somebody complains too much they just use hammers. I cannot understand how on Earth that is necessary.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, if the police drive by and something can't be audibly heard to be under construction, a call goes out and an emergency crew of migrant laborers is dispatched to begin hammering immediately until they can get the angle grinder and the drill with the masonry bit on site and powered. An emergency slab is often poured in a corner so that there will be something to drill with the masonry bit if there's nothing available on site.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zeroprime posted:

What are y'all doing? Will the library start doing some sort of curbside pickup if people need to check out books?

We’re recording a bunch of content and trying to figure out stuff we can do online, but we’re stymied by the Comms and IT departments at every turn.

Curbside has the chance to be a viral vector in and out unfortunately.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Texas just announced schools closed until May 4th (so far).

A friend with a wife and three kids at home replied, "Texas to legalize marijuana in April. You heard it here first."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder how enforcement of cannabis laws is going right now

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They're basically doing a Hamsterdam at the local parks around here on beer as long as you play your part by not flashing the can/bottle/whatever. I don't have any friends who use regularly, but I didn't think to check on what's going on with, say, dispensaries in CA, CO, etc. I wonder if they're essential businesses the way liquor stores are, heh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I believe they're all essential, yes

Probably a lot more falling off the back of the truck now too

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
But apparently congregated church services are essential.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

My friend has been opening his vintage game store to appointments only and he's been getting a ton of business with everyone staying home so much. Totally out of N64's, Gamecubes, and the more recent consoles.

What's your friend's store? I was in a vintage place before lockdown and they weirdly had a repro cartridge of the English translation of Clock Tower, which is one I did the coding work for back in teh days of the romhack scene. Was very odd and cool to run into an old bit of work in the wild.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1245151605562974210?s=21

Lmao y’all are so hosed

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So nice to see that the same people who told us to burn the cats seven hundred years ago are in the driver's seat again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They never left the driver's seat

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1245165822210912257

wow

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 1, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh no, ese. The gun stores and churches are packed. I am living the motherfucking dream right now. If you can make "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere LOL Wine Nights" a mandated thing so we can also rope in the suburban housewives, we might actually get back to just being good old boy, corrupt, oilmen-buying-wild-animal-pets, casually racist Texas, which, remarkably, would be a step up.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 1, 2020

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

saintonan posted:

You asked the wrong people, then, there's several good places in Corpus.

Maybe a combination of "I grew up with this" rose colored glasses and maybe loving with them.

My own experience (and i see it come up occasionally)with such is with BBQ places in Houston. When i first came to the city (like 12 years ago) I was given several recommendations and they were all "meh" with the exception of Goode Co BBQ which I can only describe as the WORST BBQ in Texas. But its seems to be the only place out of towners know.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Goode. Co. owns on sides and sauce for creativity, but it's not amazing. Jim was an ad man from Oklahoma. It's like the Pappas family doing Tex-Mex. It's solid consumer food, but you're not going to write home about it. Houston was a bbq backwater for decades. The most famous joints in town were Demerris, Drexler's, eventually Goode. Co and poo poo like that. It's much better now. Killen's, for example, down here in Northern Brazoria County, is legit good and there are little joints all over that are okay. Compared to Central Texas, Houston is still a backwater for barbecue, much as it pains me to say it, but we've improved a lot.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Hey if we manage to fan the flames of this bullshit rear end plague hard enough maybe the refineries will shut down for a while and gas prices will rise above $2/gal again

number go up? :confuoot:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

yeah whatever, nothing of value will be lost

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Goode. Co. owns on sides and sauce for creativity, but it's not amazing. Jim was an ad man from Oklahoma. It's like the Pappas family doing Tex-Mex. It's solid consumer food, but you're not going to write home about it. Houston was a bbq backwater for decades. The most famous joints in town were Demerris, Drexler's, eventually Goode. Co and poo poo like that. It's much better now. Killen's, for example, down here in Northern Brazoria County, is legit good and there are little joints all over that are okay. Compared to Central Texas, Houston is still a backwater for barbecue, much as it pains me to say it, but we've improved a lot.

It isn't fair to the rest of the state if we dominated in literally every food category. We can let them take one.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Dameius posted:

It isn't fair to the rest of the state if we dominated in literally every food category. We can let them take one.
I was tryin' to be all diplomatic and poo poo, but yeah.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just landed at Love and had enough troopers at the gate to greet each passenger individually and make us sign this form https://www.dps.texas.gov/covidtravel/TravelFormForArrivals.pdf

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

Having come from Dallas, and as a person who frequented Austin a lot, I was very upset at the BBQ game.

Until I had the Indian here. And then vietcajun. And then, and then, and then...

Houston has gotta be one of the top 10 food cities worldwide.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you haven't had any yet, start looking for some good African food. Houston has more Nigerians than anywhere else on Earth except for Nigeria, for example. At least about 10 years ago it did, not sure if that is still true.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Addis Ababa was the best Ethiopian I’ve ever had. Blue Nile doesn’t come close, shame it shut down. I still need to check out a Nigerian place, though.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Laredo instituted a curfew, and will fine any individual outside in public not wearing a mask.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Central Texas barbecue is overrated and only gets as much attention as it does because it is the style that most white pitmasters in Texas follow. Beef links are just as traditional a part of Texas barbecue joints but you never hear the state media talking about them.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 1, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sampatrick posted:

Central Texas barbecue is overrated and only gets as much attention as it does because it is the style that most white pitmasters in Texas follow. Beef links are just as traditional a part of Texas barbecue joints but you never heard the state media talking about them.
Cannot agree with Central Texas barbecue being overrated. It's very good. We have good barbecue in other places. Hell, I just ate at LC's in Kansas City a few weeks ago and it was great. I've been to Renezvous in Memphis and all over. Central Texas, though, has a consistency of quality that's just very impressive. It's not the only kind of barbecue, but the amount and variety and likelihood of it being really good is just fantastic. Still, yeah, you can find a good spot in many places in some parts of the country.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
brisket is too wet

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

Cannot agree with Central Texas barbecue being overrated. It's very good. We have good barbecue in other places. Hell, I just ate at LC's in Kansas City a few weeks ago and it was great. I've been to Renezvous in Memphis and all over. Central Texas, though, has a consistency of quality that's just very impressive. It's not the only kind of barbecue, but the amount and variety and likelihood of it being really good is just fantastic. Still, yeah, you can find a good spot in many places in some parts of the country.

It is absolutely overrated in the way that it is talked about in relation to every other style in texas. You don't see east texas beef links or valley barbacoa get the same reverence and the reason is entirely that central texas barbecue is the providence of the white pitmaster. It is a feedback cycle where white pitmasters get more attention because they are white, and they focus on brisket, and so brisket focused barbecue gets more attention, and so those white pitmasters that are better at briskets get more attention, and so on. You go to a barbecue joint in beaumont and say the brisket is bad and so the barbecue joint must be bad but that is only the case because you are focusing on brisket to the point where everybody is forced to do it - even when it's not a part of the regional style.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Laredo instituted a curfew, and will fine any individual outside in public not wearing a mask.

Yeah my mom told me about this. Really hosed up considering that the mask that protects you from the virus is in scarcity. So almost any other mask worn is useless.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Where's my Beef Clob I ask you!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

Yeah my mom told me about this. Really hosed up considering that the mask that protects you from the virus is in scarcity. So almost any other mask worn is useless.

Probably gonna see a lot of folks in hunter balaclava's.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sampatrick posted:

It is absolutely overrated in the way that it is talked about in relation to every other style in texas. You don't see east texas beef links or valley barbacoa get the same reverence and the reason is entirely that central texas barbecue is the providence of the white pitmaster. It is a feedback cycle where white pitmasters get more attention because they are white, and they focus on brisket, and so brisket focused barbecue gets more attention, and so those white pitmasters that are better at briskets get more attention, and so on. You go to a barbecue joint in beaumont and say the brisket is bad and so the barbecue joint must be bad but that is only the case because you are focusing on brisket to the point where everybody is forced to do it - even when it's not a part of the regional style.
Oh poo poo, just when you thought the Tex-Mex debate was going to end up being the only one that devolved into discussions of racism, barbecue comes from behind and throws an uppercut. Potato salad, meet dick.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is it racist to say that white people ruin everything? Because we do. Even the things we started and were good at and helped elevate.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaron franklin comin' real close