Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What are we gonna do with two more planes?

You can accomplish a lot with two planes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

whats the excuse for why boeing needs that much money to get through the next quarter?

Boeing on every annual statement makes exactly 51% of their revenue from civilian stuff like jetliners

Also on every annual statement makes exactly 49% of their revenue as the second largest defense contractor in the world

Boeing represents 5% of the GDP, 1 in $20 that comes in to the country goes through Boeing

The state of Washington would mostly implode if Boeing went under. Sure there's a bunch of people working for Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks and Weyerhaeuser but a huge number of boomers are paying off their harley davidsons and second mortgages using their boeing union jobs

Also who would build all our 1980s design figher jets, cruise missiles, military space hardware etc. Bomb factories are, and always will be, recession-proof.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Sure, but are they depression proof?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Mr. Dick posted:

Sure, but are they depression proof?

They a war time company getting money directly from the government. A sturdy sword, a stockpile of rice and beans, and a strict physical regimen, is more reliable, but not much else.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Futures down 399.

Let's see what's going to happen.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Number go down now

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Numbers have been doing a lot recently. I think numbers rest today, so they have much energy to frolic free just before the weekend.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Numbers have been doing a lot recently. I think numbers rest today, so they have much energy to frolic free just before the weekend.

Number is getting ready for tomorrow’s new unemployment tally.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TEcEfUMOcc

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Market is down but not that much, maybe around 20k is the bottom of the dow?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bleusilences posted:

Market is down but not that much, maybe around 20k is the bottom of the dow?

end of day today will show how much nonpayment there is, so one might expect the market to respond friday

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Cyks posted:

Bayonet training? How's retirement, grandpa.
Basic training was a good time to learn about all the different religions as you hopped around finding out which church service lasted the longest and provided cookies.

This, I became Catholic for sheet cake.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cacafuego posted:

Number is getting ready for tomorrow’s new unemployment tally.

Lol, like they even have the remotest loving clue the actually unemployment numbers at the moment.

easy just put ":smith:" and leave it at that for now.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

go down you number rear end bitch

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

smoobles posted:

go down you number rear end bitch

It’s listening

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I hope Donald J Trump keeps writing me checks $1k at a time until the stock market improves, it's really the only thing left to try at this point!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pick posted:

end of day today will show how much nonpayment there is, so one might expect the market to respond friday

I wonder if some "NYC Rent Strike a Flop" headlines will cushion the inevitably-bad jobs report.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

I hope Donald J Trump keeps writing me checks $1k at a time until the stock market improves, it's really the only thing left to try at this point!

If It's trump writing 100% chance those checks are going to bounce.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pick posted:

Yeah either Friday, or following Monday

A lot of things have a weird 1-7 day patient grace period, due to X, as well as delays in the payment systems, etc

If you assume grace period of three days, that is Saturday

Unemployment numbers Friday + end of grace period Saturday = black Monday

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Did we do it, is the Stock Market finally Dead

naem
May 29, 2011

we’ve all learned the true meaning of christmas

Vakal
May 11, 2008

smoobles posted:

Yes, we are back to the barter system now.

I hope you know how to cobble shoes or give a mean handjob.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

dr_rat posted:

If It's trump writing 100% chance those checks are going to bounce.

Even better, the checks are coming out of your future funds and they're taxed anyway. So its a newfangled reverse check he can use to stiff his contractors without the hassle of getting sued for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

smoobles posted:

That which is bound by unlife can truly never die

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah either Friday, or following Monday

A lot of things have a weird 1-7 day patient grace period, due to X, as well as delays in the payment systems, etc

If you assume grace period of three days, that is Saturday

Unemployment numbers Friday + end of grace period Saturday = black Monday
Friday unemployment is based on a survey conducted in the week of 3/8-3/14, while tomorrow's initial jobless claims are based on all unemployment filings last week.

March unemployment might not show anything like last week's initial claims number, which was 3.3 million, nevermind the number of newly unemployed we get tomorrow.

No bid COVID fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 2, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
hey guys I'm gonna rehire the 3 employees in May that I laid off in February and it looks like I won't even have to pay their salaries, am I now a job creator and is this now a cattle market and not a bare market

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The NY Times not yet breaking out the “d” word.

quote:

LONDON — The world is almost certainly ensnared in a devastating recession delivered by the coronavirus pandemic.

Now, fears are growing that the downturn could be far more punishing and long lasting than initially feared — potentially enduring into next year, and even beyond — as governments intensify restrictions on business to halt the spread of the pandemic, and as fear of the virus reconfigures the very concept of public space, impeding consumer-led economic growth.

The pandemic is above all a public health emergency. So long as human interaction remains dangerous, business cannot responsibly return to normal. And what was normal before may not be anymore. People may be less inclined to jam into crowded restaurants and concert halls even after the virus is contained.

The abrupt halt of commercial activity threatens to impose economic pain so profound and enduring in every region of the world at once that recovery could take years. The losses to companies, many already saturated with debt, risk triggering a financial crisis of cataclysmic proportions.

Stock markets have reflected the economic alarm. The S&P 500 in the United States fell over 4 percent on Wednesday, as investors braced for worse conditions ahead. That followed a brutal March, during which a whipsawing S&P 500 fell 12.5 percent, in its worst month since October 2008.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Say "deep"

Say "recession"

drop the "ce" and you got

DEPRESSION

naem
May 29, 2011

mom’s fold out couch here I come

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Oh no, the economy

There it goes... forever...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh no, the economy

There it goes... forever...
Can't have a recession if everyone gets free monthly money, healthcare, and a developed safety net :thunk:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Vakal posted:

Yes, we are back to the barter system now.

I hope you know how to cobble shoes or give a mean handjob.
And just like that, my habit of sucking dick for crack behind the 7/11 became a marketable skill.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

HerStuddMuffin posted:

And just like that, my habit of sucking dick for crack behind the 7/11 became a marketable skill.

Which 7/11? Asking for a friend.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Depending on which country you're in, you should have been doing this for years! Hobbies are often tax exempt if you're only making token amounts from it.

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

6.6 million initial jobless claims. We're at 10% unemployment already.

https://youtu.be/TpCb3xjh-Kk?list=PL_eGtR10uhM1yz78V7Ag589_qDMP19s9t&t=241

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No bid COVID posted:

6.6 million initial jobless claims. We're at 10% unemployment already.

https://youtu.be/TpCb3xjh-Kk?list=PL_eGtR10uhM1yz78V7Ag589_qDMP19s9t&t=241

Number up.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ola posted:

Number up.

Is this what the guys highlighted in the Big Short were thinking back in 2006-2008? Like looking at a magic 8 ball, seeing "outlook not so good" for reasons obvious to them at the time but different ones now - like massive unemployment that will obviously not be coming back soon despite daddy president saying they will, companies having collapsed, or on the verge of it, empty stores with supply chains disrupted, and a climbing death toll - and going "how can the stock market be holding up"?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

drat

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I knew it was going to be a big number but I didn't think it would be a world ending number.

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

jet sanchEz posted:

I knew it was going to be a big number but I didn't think it would be a world ending number.

Jesus Christ

There have been several reports that unemployment will be around 30%. This isn’t even close to that number yet.