Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ugh, I hate that this is a perfect example of "well, it could have been worse" and ends in me giving it a pass because of it.

Example: It could have been like Kengan Ashura where one of the black men depicted in the manga is a stereotypical, over-sexed black beast who cannot keep it in his pants. Those kinds of depictions are too closely tied to lynching for me to be comfortable with.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MorningMoon posted:

It's ill advised and at this stage, someone should've told them something. But I feel it comes from the same place of obliviousness as Pokemon Black/White 2 in which a black gym leader from BW1 is retired

Said Black Gym Leader was promoted to champion.

Edit: Oh you were talking about Lenora not Iris.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 25, 2020

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Prowler posted:

Ugh, I hate that this is a perfect example of "well, it could have been worse" and ends in me giving it a pass because of it.

Example: It could have been like Kengan Ashura where one of the black men depicted in the manga is a stereotypical, over-sexed black beast who cannot keep it in his pants. Those kinds of depictions are too closely tied to lynching for me to be comfortable with.

Sigh.

I always laughed when they showed Muteba in the bed loving, smoking and talking on the phone with a gaggle of sweaty tired white/asian women litered around the room. Also lets not forget his name (The Genocider - jfc come on guys), his facial tattoos which are pacific islander and not African/Congolease. The character is a mess.

At least Jerry Tyson was on point:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
What are some good (not caricature) representations of black people in japanese media? I can only think of Dutch from Black Lagoon

Kinda derailing, I don’t mind taking it to another thread or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Panther from ES21 was a good character if you ignore everyone else talking about how he's genetically good at football.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Fellis posted:

What are some good (not caricature) representations of black people in japanese media? I can only think of Dutch from Black Lagoon

Sakaki Sowande from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken is an important side-character

She's the secretary of (and real power behind) the Student Council.
The authour said when they went to school, there were quite a few mixed-race students, so he wanted his work to reflect that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elfface posted:

Sakaki Sowande from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken is an important side-character

She's the secretary of (and real power behind) the Student Council.
The authour said when they went to school, there were quite a few mixed-race students, so he wanted his work to reflect that.

Parker Doumeki was cool too.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fellis posted:

In the other hero show, My Hero Academia, Rock Lock is a completely normal person, just slightly rough around the edges for completely justifiable reasons.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fellis posted:

Shinichiro Watanabe

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fellis posted:

muhammed ali’s son in baki

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
wait is mumen rider blind? is that why he couldn't get his bike license??

srs question though I just realized you can never see his eyes and he's even wearing opaque glasses in the hospital and poo poo, correct me if I'm wrong but I think we just busted this whole thing wide open

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pyrus Malus posted:

wait is mumen rider blind? is that why he couldn't get his bike license??

srs question though I just realized you can never see his eyes and he's even wearing opaque glasses in the hospital and poo poo, correct me if I'm wrong but I think we just busted this whole thing wide open

He can't get his license because the joke is he's a kamen rider expy that doesn't ride a motorcycle. I don't know if there's anything more than that but he'd have to be daredevil tier if he was actually blind. In which case getting a license might actually be easier.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just assume his c-tier hero salary isn't enough to buy a motorcycle, so he doesn't bother getting his license for something he'll never afford

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

scary ghost dog posted:

muhammed ali’s son in baki

Speck's fight with Hanayama was better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

i just assume his c-tier hero salary isn't enough to buy a motorcycle, so he doesn't bother getting his license for something he'll never afford

I think we got an actual explanation at some point, he ends up speeding to help people too much with a real motorcycle so his license got taken.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus, can you imagine the cost with every Justice Crash meaning a new motorbike, rather than just bicycle?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fellis posted:

I remember Bob from Tenjou Tenge being fine. Aside from being completely ignored by the story of course.

EDIT: I guess Bleach had Tosen? He was a terrible character but it had nothing to do with being black. Bleach also had a Mexican character, Chad, who was also ignored by the story after a certain point.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 31, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fellis posted:

Canary from HXH is cool

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fellis posted:

My most recent fav as Avdol, even if he's a spin on a native shaman trope, it's nice seeing a dark skinned Egyptian (they exist).

The bar is so low in anime that 'good' means a representation that you'd see in the '70's and '80s-- lots of cool muscly black dudes. Which is probably why someone like Canary stands out so much, I feel like every black femme I know who watches anime loves her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The fire-based superhero named "Fire Emblem" in Tiger and Bunny?

I mean, the drag aspect of the character may be caricature but I don't thing there is any racial caricature there that I can remember (but I haven't watched that show in forever).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AfricanBootyShine posted:

My most recent fav as Avdol, even if he's a spin on a native shaman trope, it's nice seeing a dark skinned Egyptian (they exist).

The bar is so low in anime that 'good' means a representation that you'd see in the '70's and '80s-- lots of cool muscly black dudes. Which is probably why someone like Canary stands out so much, I feel like every black femme I know who watches anime loves her.

Avdol is cool except for where he's boring.

Tch! Tch! Tch!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm concerned it seems like no one else watched Carole and Tuesday

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eej posted:

I'm concerned it seems like no one else watched Carole and Tuesday

it wasnt very good

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It was great, actually

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it was tepid social commentary speckled with vocoder concerts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the music was good though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It was cute but mostly bad

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Simon from Durarara!!!!!! was nice and Jason from Hajime no Ippo was a good guy (even if they dipped into "Superior Black Muscles" nonsense.)
Not black but all the Ishvalans in Fullmetal Alchemist felt like a good representative analogue the Middle East, especially with its harsh look at the effects of colonialism.

And as Jeff Gerstmann said on "All Systems Goku": Mr. Popo is still a problem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Popo posted:

Simon from Durarara!!!!!! was nice and Jason from Hajime no Ippo was a good guy (even if they dipped into "Superior Black Muscles" nonsense.)
Not black but all the Ishvalans in Fullmetal Alchemist felt like a good representative analogue the Middle East, especially with its harsh look at the effects of colonialism.

And as Jeff Gerstmann said on "All Systems Goku": Mr. Popo is still a problem.

Most Black Boxer's in Ippo are just dudes.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Meanwhile, back on Murata land (specifically Murata since webcomic got 4 chapters too):

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/13933686331618368656
Psycomama mia.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Holy poo poo, Murata.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I can't read that foreign mysterious language!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That final double page spread!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now I want a guy who loved silver so much, he drank it every day.

Supercolidal Silver

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The battle of the century - Tiny Lady vs Giant Lady

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Elfface posted:

The battle of the century - Tiny Lady vs Giant Lady

live image from murata's trace screen

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

This is some Final Fantasy poo poo and I love it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Now this I have to see the original chapter for.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Translation out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Christ Tatsumaki