Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well I know the answer to the first part, but I assume I have to bring the Gnome all the way to the section where I lose all of my equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, was it the part where you head to the top of an apartment building, find a force field, and then just to have Russell tell you to do back down to disable it, having to cross that particular part you don't like? Or did you not finish the game yet?

It was In the Northern Star hotel and yeah I did climb to the top and run into a force field before having to turn around. I ended up quitting for the night there. Why, do you end up in the pit when you go back? I mean, my solution to the problem was also realizing, after wasting all my bullets was that there was a grenade plant on the other side so I can just lob grenades down there until they're extinct. :v:

Edit: Also no, I have not finished the game yet, this part is the farthest I've gotten.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Goddammit Shoelace you blew your load too quickly, I was expecting a slower burn into nonsensical yet tedious rants about Valve's writing. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat for even considering maybe he was actually being serious and trying to do an actual literary critique, albeit lovely.

SabinBlitz posted:

My thoughts on the ending

I don’t think it’s time travel. I honestly think G-Man is still loving with Alyx from Ep2 in some kind of sub-conscious space and he creates this alternate reality that Alyx is running through during the same time as her travels with Gordon. Think about it - no Barney. No Kleiner. No dog. Just about ZERO interaction with her dad in this “sub-space”. Even Russel looks VAGUELY like GMan even if the personality doesn’t match. How do we know this prequel is even a TRUE historic precursor to Half Life 2? Again. I call GMan fuckery here. There’s no way he’d allow himself to be caught and imprisoned. He wants Alyx to willingly come to him and seek him out during a moment she’s weakest to succumb to him. That’s why the game immediately hands it back off to Gordon. Like - ok - Alyx made a poor choice that she didn’t have to make only because she didn’t know she was in Gmans LaLaLand and being subconsciously mine controlled to do his bidding. Now go save her.

My two cents.

It's a pretty popular theory that's been going around. Following that logic, the ending's retcon moment is the G-Man using his (very limited) time manipulation powers to go back half a minute to right when Eli's about to be killed and kill the Advisor instead, sort of like reloading a save. I like it because it's sort of clean and doesn't make the G-Man too powerful.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://youtu.be/FRoJpmez1po

More juggling shenanigans. :allears:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

punished milkman posted:

Anyway, Garry of Garry's mod fame thinks HL:A is a masterpiece and wants to make Garry's mod 2 now, so that's a good sign. Hopefully valve ships out some mod tools within the next 15 years

I would loving love VR Garry's mod!

For now there is VRChat, which is.... ok.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

drat this guy is good.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

finished it so i can say with authority: it was tedious, the novelty wears off about 10 minutes in, and the performance bugs are nauseating

tbh i'm not usually a 'gamer' beyond fps time-killing sometimes... is this what all platformers are like? just the most inane dumb-task time-suck nonsense? find the key card, ok now find the cylinder thing, ok now find the electric balls, ok now flip some switches, more switches, more switches, here's a cutscene, here's 2 - 5 bad guys, loop, repeat, the end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Why do folks complete games they don't like

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why do folks complete games they don't like

It took me like 12 hours to finish the game. That's a lotta time spent playing something I hate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Dang I didn't know Half-Life was a platformer I hate those

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

finished it so i can say with authority: it was tedious, the novelty wears off about 10 minutes in, and the performance bugs are nauseating

tbh i'm not usually a 'gamer' beyond fps time-killing sometimes... is this what all platformers are like? just the most inane dumb-task time-suck nonsense? find the key card, ok now find the cylinder thing, ok now find the electric balls, ok now flip some switches, more switches, more switches, here's a cutscene, here's 2 - 5 bad guys, loop, repeat, the end.

The performance bugs are annoying. I experienced a few crashes in the beginning but it seemed to get less bad as the game went on.

In regards to your 2nd paragraph, I think you must be simplifying too much. Something must have kept you playing until the end other than pure spite and masochism.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

The things you are doing or accomplishing don't have to be anything extraordinary to be fun; the mechanics that you use to do the things are what should be fun. Guns aren't fun because shooting people is cool, the guns are fun because you have to worry about reloading them and aiming them manually and using them to interact with the world. In this case, a lot of the more mundane things are actually more fun. Being able to interact with the environment, grab stuff, look around, etc

That said I agree with the broader point that doing those things in this game actually isn't super fun. It's novel for a bit, but where I started noticing it breaking down were in the cases of interacting with stuff that was in drawers, in particular. On the one hand, I wanted to interact with the drawer more naturally, ie bend down, open it up, reach inside, pull the thing I want out, but what I actually discovered is that in the course of playing, this became more and more of a pain in the rear end because it wasn't interesting for the sake of it anymore (since I had already done it a bunch of times), and the way the gloves interacted with it got less fun.

As you get better with the gloves, you want to use them more, because it's way easier to use them than to manually go up to stuff and reach over and grab them. This is a problem with looting cupboards and drawers because even when I was like a foot away, I still wanted to use the gloves, because if it worked, it was faster. The problem is using the gloves in those environments can often gently caress up because it starts hitting stuff and bouncing around, so on the one hand I was encouraged to use them because it was more efficient, but simultaneously discouraged because of the chance that it would gently caress up in an annoying way.

This extends to a lot of the other mechanics, a lot of which is rooted in the teleportation. Teleporting is a billion times faster than using the stick locomotion, but it's way less engaging. When you're using stick, then you move slower, so you have more time to look around and notice things in the environment. You're moving in a linear fashion, so the world passes you by in a more understandable way, which leads you to feel more grounded. Teleportation is completely different, you just sort of appear places and it's way more efficient at getting to the specific spot you want to go, so you're less likely to engage with the rest of the environment. I had to limit myself to only using teleport if I died or retreaded a place I had already been to, but if I was just trying to play normally I would've spammed it all over the place. Later game spoilers: it also noticeably completely destroys the Strider encounter. Using the stick locomotion you are often too slow, even if you time the shots, to get through the different sections without it hitting you at least a bit, but if you teleport it literally cannot touch you and you just zip to the end and it takes all the urgency and stress out of the encounter. Jesus teleport was loving terrible there.

I don't think they really ended up playing to their largest strength, the atmosphere and world building, through their mechanics, and it does make the game drag on towards the end once the novelty wears off. I've played a lot of other VR games so my perspective is probably colored by that, but yeah I don't think the gameplay loop really holds up that well

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SabinBlitz posted:

My thoughts on the ending

I don’t think it’s time travel. I honestly think G-Man is still loving with Alyx from Ep2 in some kind of sub-conscious space and he creates this alternate reality that Alyx is running through during the same time as her travels with Gordon. Think about it - no Barney. No Kleiner. No dog. Just about ZERO interaction with her dad in this “sub-space”. Even Russel looks VAGUELY like GMan even if the personality doesn’t match. How do we know this prequel is even a TRUE historic precursor to Half Life 2? Again. I call GMan fuckery here. There’s no way he’d allow himself to be caught and imprisoned. He wants Alyx to willingly come to him and seek him out during a moment she’s weakest to succumb to him. That’s why the game immediately hands it back off to Gordon. Like - ok - Alyx made a poor choice that she didn’t have to make only because she didn’t know she was in Gmans LaLaLand and being subconsciously mine controlled to do his bidding. Now go save her.

My two cents.

I think what's so frustrating with this ending has been no matter how you view g-man's powers, it's not a clean fit. If he controls time, you can't really explain how alyx conveniently forgot the events of hla during all of hl2. If he controls pocket dimensions, it doesn't explain how he can rewind time even a little bit. If he pulled alyx from an alternate timeline, then there would be no reason to take away the main timeline alyx. If he can do multiple or all of these things, then there's no reason for him to have things like employers or restrictions, he's got the power to be above it all and never give a single poo poo about anyone.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I’m on my 2nd play through with the Gnome. I played it and beat it on hard difficulty for my 1st time through. I explored and struggled with ammo but I made it through the game in 12 hours.

Now I’m doing story mode easy peasy difficulty and holy crap after 2 hours I’m almost to Jeff. Just breezing through using the teleport and cruising right along. 1 shoting everything in my path like a god with almost 1k pistol ammo. It’s fun to just go full ham, not seriously aiming down sights because I don’t need to treat every bullet like it’s my last one. It’s a different kind of fun, having a blast.

Also regarding vortigaunts. At the part where Eli falls and the Vort starts using energy, you can steal it with your gloves. I didn’t notice that the first time through. They turn green like the end game. But you can’t shoot or do anything with it and when the Vort leaves they stop glowing.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 1, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think what's so frustrating with this ending has been no matter how you view g-man's powers, it's not a clean fit. If he controls time, you can't really explain how alyx conveniently forgot the events of hla during all of hl2.

I haven't played HL2 or the episodes for a while, what specific things about HLA are problematic if she remembers them?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Glagha posted:

It was In the Northern Star hotel and yeah I did climb to the top and run into a force field before having to turn around. I ended up quitting for the night there. Why, do you end up in the pit when you go back? I mean, my solution to the problem was also realizing, after wasting all my bullets was that there was a grenade plant on the other side so I can just lob grenades down there until they're extinct. :v:

Edit: Also no, I have not finished the game yet, this part is the farthest I've gotten.
You have to go through the pit to reach a generator. I had the impression that these things keep respawning until you've done with the section down there. And going back up, there's gonna be more. I'm surprised you haven't shat yourself the first time going to the top, with what the surprise spider headcrab jumping out of the toilet bowl. :classiclol:

MightyBigMinus posted:

That's how pretty much any single player FPS whatsoever since the dawn of time works. :confused:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 1, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Combat Pretzel posted:

You have to go through the pit to reach a generator. I had the impression that these things keep respawning until you've done with the section down there. And going back up, there's gonna be more. I'm surprised you haven't shat yourself the first time going to the top, with what the surprise spider headcrab jumping out of the toilet bowl. :classiclol:

I finished this part tonight and don't worry I definitely did freak out at that part and frantically retreat. But yeah I did go through that section tonight and thankfully I had the good sense to close the door behind me before turning off the generator, but the trip back up was nightmarish. It took me like a solid 5 minutes before I was willing to make the trip up the ladder when I realized they weren't going to stop crawling up the walls, and later when ambushed by two and cornered, I ended up literally cowering in the corner shooting without looking as they jumped on me. It sucked but I had a good laugh about it even during so I guess it was all in good fun. I was so fuckin glad to be out of there holy poo poo.

In summary, haha that was fun anyway gently caress everyone who had any part designing this game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It'd probably be less of a hassle if you could at least damage enemies by throwing things at them

Bring back the Brickbat from the HL2 Beta you cowards

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Game is perfectly playable using an office chair instead of standing. Set in-game height and button crouch/stand and you can turn by rotating in the chair

Saves standing continuously for those marathon sessions

Also holy poo poo am i glad i put that shoelace guy on ignore like 15 pages ago

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone played this with only 8 gigs of RAM? I know 12 is minimum recommend but usually this works with less and I don't want to by any more DDR3 at this point.

I updated and reinstalled everything that was possible and the game still crashes at startup (no errors but it creates a minidump) so that's kind of my last guess because otherwise machine is rock solid (and heart touching)

Just an update in case anyone was having similar problems - no, more RAM didn't help. I salvaged another 8 gigs from a different machine and it still crashes on starutp.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just finished up chapter 5 last night, and this is fast becoming one of my favorite games. Firefights are starting to ramp up and get a whole lot more fun. Just wish I wasn't so busy IRL so I could plow through the rest in the next day or so, avoiding spoilers is hard work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For some reason the entire Jeff area ran like absolute garbage for me. I don’t know if it’s all of the spore particle effects from him and the entire level or if it’s somehow super unoptimized but my 2600x and 1080ti absolutely ground to almost a halt there.

It definitely took away from my enjoyment of that area although I appreciate what it was going for.

Also I trapped Jeff but didn’t kill him. gently caress that guy who lives in the distillery for bouncing the second I saved his rear end from the barnacle. He can push the button on Jeff if he wants to

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Realized the X in the Half Life Alyx logo looks suspiciously similar to the Feynman diagram, possibly hinting at the time travel element in the plot?. Probably a stretch but Valve is a pretty deliberate bunch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Realized the X in the Half Life Alyx logo looks suspiciously similar to the Feynman diagram, possibly hinting at the time travel element in the plot?. Probably a stretch but Valve is a pretty deliberate bunch.

I dunno, to me that just feels like an X following the stylized font for the logo. Although I didn't notice the Y in her name was the lamda logo upside down until the end credits, soooo :downs:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got it to work, yay! Had to make a completely fresh windows install on a new drive. It complains about low memory but I suspect it's more because there's only 6 gigs left for swap space on the 32gb ssd lol. I got to the floating cardboard stuff in Quarantine before it eventually crashed anyway for whatever reason.

The game rules. The environments, animations, everything looks really great and very polished compared to other VR stuff I've played. I don't really have any issues with the way vr mechanics are implemented, the gloves work great and I think I prefer the weapon switcher to having to blindly reach for holstered weapons on your hips without any feedback. Still very early in the game but it really feels great.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Captain Hygiene posted:

I dunno, to me that just feels like an X following the stylized font for the logo. Although I didn't notice the Y in her name was the lamda logo upside down until the end credits, soooo :downs:

How did I not see this :psyduck:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I need more Half-Life. That was not nearly enough to drink and I am still extremely loving thirsty.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

SabinBlitz posted:

I need more Half-Life. That was not nearly enough to drink and I am still extremely loving thirsty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9szAybFf6wI

couldn't resist

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I remember when the Avatar movie came out people were depressed after watching it because they wanted more or to escape to such a place.

I can't say I want to escape to the Combine ruled world and QZ, but I'm feeling really melancholic after finishing. I want more so badly! This was such a cool experience. I know I can replay it, but the initial exposure and unfolding of events won't be had. A game like this in a good VR experience really imprints on the brain it seems.

It was a much needed escape from current events.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is some irony in everyone escaping from our world where a virus is running rampant, killing tons of people and authoritarian governments are taking over to a game where....the same thing happens.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Yeah, but that one has cool gloves

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

And you can go outside.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

And I found a giant horde of toilet paper.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

AzureSkys posted:

I remember when the Avatar movie came out people were depressed after watching it because they wanted more or to escape to such a place.

Watching the other Avatar movie would have cured that right away

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I just woke up from a dream where I was flinging household objects into my hands and over my shoulder grabbity glove style. As nice as that would be, you've got to remember not to accidentally fling spiders at yourself or tear the structural supports out of your house.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Finally beat the game so I'm back

theblackw0lf posted:

Jeff was the highlight of the game.

Abso-loving-lutely. Games/movies don't really scare me at all but man that level got my heartrate up and got me into my first 'VR incident' where in a panic I accidentally slapped a plate off my desk and across the room.

This game was absolutely sublime. Valve has done it again.

Question about the ending: Why is the GMan pissed at Gordon? I'm assuming it's because of the vorts interfering with him at the end of HL2 but he explicitly says Gordon is incapable or unwilling. Is this hinting that the GMan snatched Gordon back up at the end of Episode 2 and Gordon gave him the finger? He seemed to be fine with just killing Gordon outright at the end of HL1 so I don't know why he'd let him free. Am I an idiot?

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 2, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

treat posted:

I just woke up from a dream where I was flinging household objects into my hands and over my shoulder grabbity glove style. As nice as that would be, you've got to remember not to accidentally fling spiders at yourself or tear the structural supports out of your house.

After a 6 hour play session I badly wanted to grab my beer from across the room using the hand fling. VR games gently caress with you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m re-reading the first few pages of this thread and it’s amazing how many folks thought the following:

1. VR is poo poo and/or a gimmick
2. There no way Alyx will be good
3. There’s not way it’ll be a full length game
4. Any combination or all of the above.

As I’m replaying the series gearing up for Alyx, I can’t believe I’d forgotten just how stellar these games are. The sense of space and exploration, but also forward momentum and constant set piece after set piece. There really are no other games to this day like Half-Life.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Question about the ending: Why is the GMan pissed at Gordon? I'm assuming it's because of the vorts interfering with him at the end of HL2 but he explicitly says Gordon is incapable or unwilling. Is this hinting that the GMan snatched Gordon back up at the end of Episode 2 and Gordon gave him the finger? He seemed to be fine with just killing Gordon outright at the end of HL1 so I don't know why he'd let him free. Am I an idiot?

I found that curious as well, my one theory is that it was meta commentary on the fact Valve hasn't done poo poo with him for over a decade. I also took it to imply they have tried to use Gordon in between the games and he's refused or resisted, which is an interesting implication that stuff has happened with Gordon that we're not privy to.

I'm hoping if we do see a Half Life 3, it will explain it to some degree.

When I got to the ending, my original thought was Alyx was going to ask to get rid of the combine and the gman's answer was going to be to unleash Gordon which would tie into HL2. I was surprised to see it tie into the end of Half Life episode 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tip posted:

I haven't played HL2 or the episodes for a while, what specific things about HLA are problematic if she remembers them?

Having her whisked away by g-man, for starters. Just breaking into the vault when she thought gordon was in there may have been a relevant bit of lore to bring up at some point in hl2, especially with all the time alyx and gordon spent together. This is assuming it's the same alyx of course. Valve could tie up this loose end with something in a later installment I guess but as it stands we have something of a causality violation.