Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

leper khan posted:

I thought it was still where new c# features came from.

It’s definitely this, whatever else it is.

F# 5’s focus is to add features to make it a good data processing language, but I have no idea whether they’re responding to a market that already exists or trying to create one. (I know they’ve been trying for a while, but I don’t know whether it worked.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Suitable hardware"?

Two keyboards hooked up to one PC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE&t=8s

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
:yotj:

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
What's the right way to commission a new server? My process for personal projects is ssh into the box and tinker with various config and restart services until it all hangs together. I'd like to start doing it the right way.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

toadoftoadhall posted:

What's the right way to commission a new server? My process for personal projects is ssh into the box and tinker with various config and restart services until it all hangs together. I'd like to start doing it the right way.

Ansible, Terraform, and Chef are all tools that give you some ability to do this with their DSLs. My team would check configuration into a repo and run on tagging a release tag. I favored Terraform for deploying Openstack servers but each tool has its benefits and detractors. And of course there are more remote configuration tools out there than the ones I've named.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 30, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

toadoftoadhall posted:

I had to do this for a new Test and Production web server, so I didn't need something that worked at scale, and eventually landed on Packer to fetch an Ubuntu ISO, a preseed file to get that ISO installed into a VM, and Docker Compose to bring up services on the VM. It works fine, so far.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm partial to Ansible for that stuff, though I've mainly just used it on hobby projects like an 8 Raspberry Pi K8s cluster and a web host VPC thing. Meanwhile I thought Terraform was more about getting the systems up and running? In other words you'd use Terraform to talk to AWS (or equivalent) to create the machine instances, and then Ansible to install your software/configs into those instances. Or has Terraform started creeping into the latter functionality as well? I guess you could build your own AMIs (or equivalent) to run on the instances. I've been mostly successful in avoiding that side of things outside of my own hobby projects.

I had previously used Puppet for this, but it was a total PITA because it wants to model everything as a DAG, where arbitrary steps can run in parallel unless you explicitly declare all dependencies between them. As a result it was surprisingly difficult to get dependencies to behave consistently, since all dependency links must be perfectly declared across all nodes in the DAG or else things inevitably end up running out of order in surprising ways. It's also hard to diagnose these dependency bugs without wiping everything on the target, since the initial run will hit problems due to missed dependencies, and then the second run will end up working fine since those missing dependencies will often have been mostly installed by the first run. The whole DAG thing in Puppet feels like they decided to do something over-complicated to look "smart" that just made it brittle and difficult to use with little real benefit.

Meanwhile Ansible just structures things as lists of lists, where the lists run sequentially and dependencies are implicitly covered by list ordering. As a result it's much easier in practice to get something that works consistently from the start. And as a side benefit the structure means that if you can express something as a series of shell commands then it can pretty much be directly transcribed into an Ansible script. This could mean that it takes longer to run than an equivalent Puppet script, but I think that by the time you got your Puppet script actually working correctly it would end up looking like a list of lists anyway.

I found that this difference resulted in taking an hour or two to write something from scratch in Ansible that would take a couple days to get working consistently in Puppet. Not to mention the additional maintenance load as steps are added over time.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm partial to Ansible for that stuff, though I've mainly just used it on hobby projects like an 8 Raspberry Pi K8s cluster and a web host VPC thing. Meanwhile I thought Terraform was more about getting the systems up and running? In other words you'd use Terraform to talk to AWS (or equivalent) to create the machine instances, and then Ansible to install your software/configs into those instances. Or has Terraform started creeping into the latter functionality as well? I guess you could build your own AMIs (or equivalent) to run on the instances. I've been mostly successful in avoiding that side of things outside of my own hobby projects.

I had previously used Puppet for this, but it was a total PITA because it wants to model everything as a DAG, where arbitrary steps can run in parallel unless you explicitly declare all dependencies between them. As a result it was surprisingly difficult to get dependencies to behave consistently, since all dependency links must be perfectly declared across all nodes in the DAG or else things inevitably end up running out of order in surprising ways. It's also hard to diagnose these dependency bugs without wiping everything on the target, since the initial run will hit problems due to missed dependencies, and then the second run will end up working fine since those missing dependencies will often have been mostly installed by the first run. The whole DAG thing in Puppet feels like they decided to do something over-complicated to look "smart" that just made it brittle and difficult to use with little real benefit.

Meanwhile Ansible just structures things as lists of lists, where the lists run sequentially and dependencies are implicitly covered by list ordering. As a result it's much easier in practice to get something that works consistently from the start. And as a side benefit the structure means that if you can express something as a series of shell commands then it can pretty much be directly transcribed into an Ansible script. This could mean that it takes longer to run than an equivalent Puppet script, but I think that by the time you got your Puppet script actually working correctly it would end up looking like a list of lists anyway.

I found that this difference resulted in taking an hour or two to write something from scratch in Ansible that would take a couple days to get working consistently in Puppet. Not to mention the additional maintenance load as steps are added over time.

This is why when VMs have to be part of the equation, I always gravitate toward immutable infrastructure with Packer. Basically take the same approach as containers, just slower and bigger. My experiences with Ansible, chef and puppet have all been terrible. Especially chef.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My experience with management tools is that they usually just introduce some other type of problems. Would rather just deal with regular SSH than some idiosyncrasies from some new platform.

That Packer looks real nice though, it'd be nice to set up a copy of the prod VM on a local machine for testing...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Protocol7 posted:

My experience with management tools is that they usually just introduce some other type of problems. Would rather just deal with regular SSH than some idiosyncrasies from some new platform.

That Packer looks real nice though, it'd be nice to set up a copy of the prod VM on a local machine for testing...

We use Packer pretty extensively in my current job to build AMIs for new deployments and thus far I've got zero complaints with it. Especially for the use-case you're describing you could look into using Vagrant (another HashiCorp tool) and the vagrant-specific post-provisioner for Packer.

I like Ansible a lot for setting up and managing environments - precisely because at its heart it is just SSHing onto a host and running some scripts. Depending on how strict your IaC requirements are it can sometimes just be easier to use Ansible to deploy your instances, generate the inventory and then run your provisioning plays against it.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 31, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’m definitely going to check those out. Not having trouble with my current setup by any means, but it could make my life easier and I’ve got a lot more free time...

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm partial to Ansible for that stuff, though I've mainly just used it on hobby projects like an 8 Raspberry Pi K8s cluster and a web host VPC thing. Meanwhile I thought Terraform was more about getting the systems up and running? In other words you'd use Terraform to talk to AWS (or equivalent) to create the machine instances, and then Ansible to install your software/configs into those instances.

You just reminded me of the smelly things we did with TF to get our machines running once TF provisioned them. TF was great for getting our resources from Openstack, don't know if TF 12 is much better at configuration after you acquire them. I'd reckon Ansible would be an ok approach.

Speaking of Terraform, I once uncommented out the configuration that disables its ability to destroy your instances if it thinks it has to, then forgot to comment it back out. Fast forward 3 months and another team member wasn't paying attention to the plan output of TF and it nuked someone's cluster.

Sorry customer, there went your data... :suicide:

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Smugworth posted:

You just reminded me of the smelly things we did with TF to get our machines running once TF provisioned them. TF was great for getting our resources from Openstack, don't know if TF 12 is much better at configuration after you acquire them. I'd reckon Ansible would be an ok approach.

Speaking of Terraform, I once uncommented out the configuration that disables its ability to destroy your instances if it thinks it has to, then forgot to comment it back out. Fast forward 3 months and another team member wasn't paying attention to the plan output of TF and it nuked someone's cluster.

Sorry customer, there went your data... :suicide:

Do you use TF to provision your databases? Seems risky!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Do you use TF to provision your databases? Seems risky!

Only if you consider Kafka a database, which you shouldn't, despite the marketing

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
how guilty should I feel about playing on my switch during meetings when I'm working from home?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are negative levels of guilt allowed?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You must be new to remote work

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Faith For Two posted:

how guilty should I feel about playing on my switch during meetings when I'm working from home?

You should feel guilty if you don't.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My rule of thumb is that if you can tune out the meeting and not have it affect your job in any meaningful way then it’s an unnecessary meeting. Switch away.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Don't feel guilty about not being "on task." Consider feeling guilty if, as a result, you don't do your actual job well enough.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is no such thing as guilt in capitalism.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what game

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Faith For Two posted:

Most of us didn't choose to work from home and got thrown into it during a crisis so like, go nuts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anybody here work at a company that went all in on SAFe? We've started implementing it (e.g. doing the bigass whole-day company-wide sprint scoping, planning, story pointing, etc. meetings), and my impression of it is very negative. To the point that I'm not confident in the direction of the company now :sigh: So many loving meetings now, it's a wonder we get anything done.

Is there a way to weather it, or should I consider :yotj: more than I was before?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Anybody here work at a company that went all in on SAFe? We've started implementing it (e.g. doing the bigass whole-day company-wide sprint scoping, planning, story pointing, etc. meetings), and my impression of it is very negative. To the point that I'm not confident in the direction of the company now :sigh: So many loving meetings now, it's a wonder we get anything done.

Is there a way to weather it, or should I consider :yotj: more than I was before?

:sever:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

More than happy to. But maybe not yet :gonk:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

SAFe is Agile - agility. It wraps Agile up in a whole bunch of superfluous nonsense ceremony for seemingly no good reason. You're right to be skeptical.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just from the SAFe powerpoint slides I've laughed at on the internet I would run as far away as possible.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I love how Agile has four very simple values at the very top of their manifesto, and SAFe manages to gently caress up each one of them.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
The DOD wrote a nice screed on SAFe called detecting agile BS

https://media.defense.gov/2018/Oct/09/2002049591/-1/-1/0/DIB_DETECTING_AGILE_BS_2018.10.05.PDF

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is possible to shelter a sane working environment within an organization that has been contaminated by SAFe, but it's difficult.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Blessed be the manager who does but I fear for their sanity because it essentially doubles their workload.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
SAFe is horrible but I miss when our PI planning was done at a banquet hall and there was a huge cart of meat and cheese in the afternoons.

PI planning was such a colossal waste of time for devs, but maybe it was because my company at the time did it over the course of 2-3 days.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I disseminated this throughout my old job which used SAFe just before leaving and I’m not apologizing for it.

That company was horrible about mushroom management.

The only valuable thing that came out of it was having all the SMEs in one place, and available to chat, during PI planning. Otherwise they still had fixed release dates and the whole waterfall shebang.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll read that PDF and see if I can't start agitating from within.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
SAFe is the strawman bad project management approach that you compare the thing you're pushing to in order to make your thing look good.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

spending 2 minutes looking at SAFe makes me think it was a parody website and some MBA saw it and wouldnt stop trying to send them money and now its real

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/blog/introducing-the-lafable-process-for-scaling-agile

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The offshore guys I work with struggled to get any decent image segmentation completed in weeks.

I created a model much more accurate than theirs in one week.

Now they’re asking for all of my code... yeah, no, I don’t think so. I’ll point you to the same examples and reading materials I used, but I’m not handing over all my work on a golden platter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

The offshore guys I work with struggled to get any decent image segmentation completed in weeks.

I created a model much more accurate than theirs in one week.

Now they’re asking for all of my code... yeah, no, I don’t think so. I’ll point you to the same examples and reading materials I used, but I’m not handing over all my work on a golden platter.

Are you not working together on something?