Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Video chat therapy update:

It's great and a billion times better than phone therapy.

See I'm in the other boat, I'd much much much rather have phone therapy because I have a phobia of being on camera.

Speaking of which I have my first video therapy in 20 minutes :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

See I'm in the other boat, I'd much much much rather have phone therapy because I have a phobia of being on camera.

Speaking of which I have my first video therapy in 20 minutes :ohdear:

I sucked at phone therapy because not being able to see the person I was talking to I was 100% certain she was rolling her eyes at all of my problems and didn't actually want to talk to me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I sucked at phone therapy because not being able to see the person I was talking to I was 100% certain she was rolling her eyes at all of my problems and didn't actually want to talk to me.

It wasn't as bad as I thought but I spent most of it with my eyes closed. But I never look at my therapist for most of my session anyway so no difference!

It helped. :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
how much are you guys spending for a session of video therapy?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

prom candy posted:

how much are you guys spending for a session of video therapy?

my therapist whom i normally see in person has the same rates for video, but we're doing video right now. the company has a sliding scale based on income, $10 per 10k with a $60 minimum, up to the regular price of $110. we both live in one of the most expensive metro areas in the us. even with my full time job that i am so lucky to have started (today!), i'm still in the $60 bracket for self-pay (but i should also have insurance now!)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finally started looking for a therapist after a decade of suffering from crippling general/social anxiety, when the pandemic hit. The session was changed to a phone session. The first one went fine, though I couldn't get the doctor off the topic of money, which was just one of my concerns and one I couldn't exactly change in the middle of all this. Just had a second session, and he wouldn't stop praising Trump and saying how useless and unprepared New York was when the governor should have known better and prepared for a pandemic because of 9/11. Everything was about how great Trump was and how Trump was a no-nonsense businessman who would get this solved by May. Didn't expect that in a therapy session.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

LifeLynx posted:

I finally started looking for a therapist after a decade of suffering from crippling general/social anxiety, when the pandemic hit. The session was changed to a phone session. The first one went fine, though I couldn't get the doctor off the topic of money, which was just one of my concerns and one I couldn't exactly change in the middle of all this. Just had a second session, and he wouldn't stop praising Trump and saying how useless and unprepared New York was when the governor should have known better and prepared for a pandemic because of 9/11. Everything was about how great Trump was and how Trump was a no-nonsense businessman who would get this solved by May. Didn't expect that in a therapy session.

For people who like Trump, everything, even their own sense of identity, is about Trump. Super not shocked that someone like that got stuck on the money topic, either. Sounds like it's time to find the next therapist. :yikes:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Agreed. Don't think therapists are supposed to ramble about their stuff, regardless of politics. I'd find one less smooth-brained, if possible.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That is absolutely a terrible therapist.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
A terripist, if you will

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

LifeLynx posted:

You should definitely (if you feel up to it) file a complaint with whatever state you're in. These are actually taken really seriously by whatever the mental health governing body is. Now if he's a medical doctor governed by the APA....it's unlikely the complaint will amount to much. They are extremely lenient on their practitioners.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
had a video interview with a recruiter today

now i get to do a 2 part test and 3 more video interviews

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thehandtruck posted:

You should definitely (if you feel up to it) file a complaint with whatever state you're in. These are actually taken really seriously by whatever the mental health governing body is. Now if he's a medical doctor governed by the APA....it's unlikely the complaint will amount to much. They are extremely lenient on their practitioners.

They collected money from me up front before my first session, and this one they called me back afterward and left a voicemail after requesting I call back and pay. I'm going to complain and try to get out of it. I'm not paying $90 to listen to a Trump ad. I don't know if I'll file an official complaint with NY though.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

They collected money from me up front before my first session, and this one they called me back afterward and left a voicemail after requesting I call back and pay. I'm going to complain and try to get out of it. I'm not paying $90 to listen to a Trump ad. I don't know if I'll file an official complaint with NY though.

Wow that loving sucks. Def complain if you have the fortitude. They are hurting people and literally stealing.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

got a job during a pandemic, so that's something.
The pay is real bad but it's work from home. At least it's income while the world crumbles.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I think we're all going to have to mentally prepare for what's about to come over the next three weeks. This is probably going to be toughest period in world history since 1943.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
don't be afraid to avoid reading news during this, or at least time box it. there's not a lot to gain from scrolling twitter or the coronavirus thread all day. if big news happens you'll hear about it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

prom candy posted:

don't be afraid to avoid reading news during this, or at least time box it. there's not a lot to gain from scrolling twitter or the coronavirus thread all day. if big news happens you'll hear about it.

Yeah, I am currently the single worst performer at WFH right now because apparently everyone else is ignoring the news. They just do their work and don't care about anything else. It's insane.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LifeLynx posted:

They are an unqualified rear end in a top hat predator quack trying to grift money from the most vulnerable of people. If you don't feel comfortable going through with it, that's ok. Your mental health and safety is paramount.

But, if you have the ability, my advice is to scream to whoever's listening (starting with the state board). They need to be stopped before they hurt someone else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zeriel posted:

got a job during a pandemic, so that's something.
The pay is real bad but it's work from home. At least it's income while the world crumbles.

I'm glad you found one, though :)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

prom candy posted:

My life has improved drastically with a simple rule: No news the first hour I wake up and no news the two hours before I go to bed.

It's also lowered my need to check the news every 5 minutes during the day.

I still struggle with the question, "Is it my ethical responsibility to be loving miserable and informed 24/7 when so many people are suffering because of this?"

I suspect the answer is that it's possible to have enough empathy while not becoming dangerously depressed. I'm not sure how to do that yet, so at the moment I'm making sure I take care of myself.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I find it very hard not to pay constant attention to it all

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm having what feels like a hypomanic day, so I'm probably non-useless for the next 48 hours. Is it possible for me to scream at the NY state board for LifeLynx? Or does the complaint need to come from the actual in-state victim?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm having what feels like a hypomanic day, so I'm probably non-useless for the next 48 hours. Is it possible for me to scream at the NY state board for LifeLynx? Or does the complaint need to come from the actual in-state victim?

That's a good question. I actually don't know. It might vary from state to state but probly you will need some info from LifeLynx.

(Also great job channeling your hypomania. It's a huge thing and you should feel proud of yourself.)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

I appreciate it but I don't think you can since you weren't there (or as close to "there" as possible over the phone). I think he was actually trying to help in his misguided way. "Trusting the President" isn't a reason to be removed from whatever board of medical professionals that exists. It's a mass shared delusion that almost half the country shares. Thinking it's an undue burden for the Federal government to help its citizens during a country-wide crisis and it should all be left up to individual states to handle everything on their own is insane though. I'm mostly bothered because a portion of my anxiety is because Trump lies and actively tries to make things worse, and if I brought that up with this therapist it would just lead to an argument, and I could just go on Facebook if I wanted that.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

"Trusting the President" isn't a reason to be removed from whatever board of medical professionals that exists.

It is when it's Trump. It shows a complete lack of morality, empathy, critical thinking skills, etc and is unbecoming of a mental health professional.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I'm not going to lie I don't think cspam is good for mental health.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Chuka Umana posted:

I'm not going to lie I don't think cspam is good for mental health.

Yeap. I've had to un-bookmark a few threads just to keep myself from diving entirely into blackpilledness.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I appreciate it but I don't think you can since you weren't there (or as close to "there" as possible over the phone). I think he was actually trying to help in his misguided way. "Trusting the President" isn't a reason to be removed from whatever board of medical professionals that exists. It's a mass shared delusion that almost half the country shares. Thinking it's an undue burden for the Federal government to help its citizens during a country-wide crisis and it should all be left up to individual states to handle everything on their own is insane though. I'm mostly bothered because a portion of my anxiety is because Trump lies and actively tries to make things worse, and if I brought that up with this therapist it would just lead to an argument, and I could just go on Facebook if I wanted that.

Ya I'm still not clear if this was therapy or if it was an MD who was prescribing you medication and you two were just chatting generally about how you are doing to get an idea of what medication needs to be prescribed. If it's the latter, yeah whatever. If it's the former, it's a really clear case of countertransference. His own poo poo is polluting the therapeutic relationship so much that you refrain from talking about things that bother you or that you have an opinion on because of how he might respond. That is completely unprofessional and absolutely unethical. The client should never have to curtail what they say to work around the therapist. Most therapists will have some tiny amount of this but the good ones have done their own work and therapy so as not to project countertransference in the room with their client.

AND a therapist should never be trying to convince a client of anything like this chud was. It's not their job to try and change the beliefs of their client. Imagine if therapy existed during slavery and you had a client who was black, maybe a former slave. You would not only sound ridiculous, but you would lose any therapeutic rapport by trying to convince that person to trust the president, or hell even trust institutions at all. Sometimes its good to be distrustful of the government or president. What if your therapist actually managed to convince you to trust Trump and go back to work, and you got sick from corona? Then your therapist would literally be at fault and would absolutely be the target of a lawsuit. That culpability argument has real legs. So yeah you're right this one thing probably isn't enough to remove someone from practice, but enough of these and people get forced to take re-education classes (heh :ussr:) to be better. Anyway whatever like, do as I say not as I do lol cause I've been to a lovely person once before also and should have reported but I didn't so, no judgement here.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just called the front desk, who got frustrated with me immediately and transferred me to billing after I brought up the bill, who said only the doctor had authority to contest the payment. Both were probably older women in their 60's? I was very polite, for the record, because I know it's not their fault, it's the doctor's. Then the billing woman said she was going to leave the doctor a message and then hung up on me. So I'm probably getting a bill in the mail that I have to contest, and they're telling me the only way to contest it is to talk to the doctor. I don't know what to do.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

My life has improved drastically with a simple rule: No news the first hour I wake up and no news the two hours before I go to bed.

It's also lowered my need to check the news every 5 minutes during the day.

I still struggle with the question, "Is it my ethical responsibility to be loving miserable and informed 24/7 when so many people are suffering because of this?"

I suspect the answer is that it's possible to have enough empathy while not becoming dangerously depressed. I'm not sure how to do that yet, so at the moment I'm making sure I take care of myself.

I'm not sure whether or not I posted this here, but the WHO has literally recommended you only check the news twice a day for your own mental health and well-being.

I set up Inoreader to feed me stories from CBS (who seem the least corporate whore-y out of the options), Reuters, and Lifehacker, although Lifehacker has gone to poo poo in the past few years and will probably be unsubscribed soon. I'll probably drop CBS and add Jacobin and mmmmmmaybe Le Monde at some point but I also don't want to overwhelm myself with like 700 articles to comb through every time I check.

Anyway the point is, consolidate all that poo poo and then leave it alone except for twice a day. Between that and not going into CSPAM in general (except for here) it's made a difference, but I'm also in a coronavirus bubble right now. So, who the gently caress knows.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

thehandtruck posted:

That's a good question. I actually don't know. It might vary from state to state but probly you will need some info from LifeLynx.

(Also great job channeling your hypomania. It's a huge thing and you should feel proud of yourself.)

Thanks! I didn't stay on top of it, ended up compulsively wasting time and setting myself behind as per usual. But I appreciate the sentiment.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well the good news is I'm not going nuts from isolation; the bad news is I've regressed back into gaming ten hours a day

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm barely managing to get my work done and it sucks; I also wanted to do some volunteer work but I can't buckle down long enough to get poo poo done before the deadline

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I was thinking that I'd like the world to be sucked into a black hole, but then I thought that I can't be sure that hasn't already happened. Anyway, I kind of want to disappear and not have to exist any more, but I don't want to kill myself because I don't want the people left behind me to suffer. So I just find myself praying that maybe some benevolent deity could make it so that I'd never existed. Or maybe that humanity in general stopped existing and the earth was ruled by plants. But I just continue along like always. Deities are obviously not that benevolent. This is why I'm always tired. Depression and anxiety are very tiring things. Perhaps some otherwise neurotypical people have learned to appreciate that better over the last couple of weeks. Perhaps.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's amazing how much more put together and organized I feel when I actually use my bullet journal. Need to stop letting it slip.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can't loving take it anymore. The world is collapsing and everyone either doesn't care, is laughing about, somehow thinks everything will be OK. IO feel like the last sane person on earth, and everyone else has gone into all these subconscious back up behaviors to keep their minds from shattering. I can not delude myself into "optimism" or "positivity". If I lose my job, I'm done. No friends, no partner, no clue how to work hard, no dreams, no goals, nothing. Just a huge void.

Still waiting for the therapy referral.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ive been wondering why i'm not panicking about covid like most people

maybe cuz i gave up hope on life/society decades ago? but i'm not even excited that capitalism is having all these problems dealing with covid, because im still pretty sure nothing will meaningfully change, most people wanna get past this then back to how things were

at least i havent been suicidal since i came out as trans, but i still dont have much actual passion for stuff, unless i briefly focus my ADD on it

yes covid scares me, i'm terrified of dying slowly in pain on a hospital bed, but thats been a fear for decades, i'm always scared and worrying about everything that might go wrong, something i inherited from my mom

i dunno

also i'm feelin lonely this week, but RIP at dating for a while

at least i have experience being in jail, at least my food's good now

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Apr 2, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jollity Farm posted:

I was thinking that I'd like the world to be sucked into a black hole, but then I thought that I can't be sure that hasn't already happened. Anyway, I kind of want to disappear and not have to exist any more, but I don't want to kill myself because I don't want the people left behind me to suffer. So I just find myself praying that maybe some benevolent deity could make it so that I'd never existed. Or maybe that humanity in general stopped existing and the earth was ruled by plants. But I just continue along like always. Deities are obviously not that benevolent. This is why I'm always tired. Depression and anxiety are very tiring things. Perhaps some otherwise neurotypical people have learned to appreciate that better over the last couple of weeks. Perhaps.

AceOfFlames posted:

I can't loving take it anymore. The world is collapsing and everyone either doesn't care, is laughing about, somehow thinks everything will be OK. IO feel like the last sane person on earth, and everyone else has gone into all these subconscious back up behaviors to keep their minds from shattering. I can not delude myself into "optimism" or "positivity". If I lose my job, I'm done. No friends, no partner, no clue how to work hard, no dreams, no goals, nothing. Just a huge void.

Still waiting for the therapy referral.

Hi, guys. These are suicidal expressions, and I'm really worried about both of you. Here is some (trimmed for the situation) info from the OP that I hope will help.

I strongly, strongly encourage you to make use of the references. It doesn't sound like you're in crisis as of right now, so I'll hold off on the emergency probe. But if your brain starts going to the dark place—and you'll know if you're there, believe me—please consider a crisis line if you need it, post here if you need it, and above all treat yourself as best you can. Just reach out to people, if nothing else as a reminder you're not alone.

Things are bullshit right now, but it'll pass. Eventually.

Crisis Line Info
(thanks mods. thods.)

quote:

If you feel like you need help, we strongly recommend that you seek out professional help through some resources that we have listed below:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
The Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line
If you are an International Goon, please look here for some resources: http://www.suicide.org/internationa...e-hotlines.html.

The Goon Doctor also has a Psychiatric Q&A Megathread, which is also not a source of absolute professional psychiatric advice or help. However, you may find it useful to answer some small questions or learn more about different treatment options.

How to Do a Therapy
(thanks to thehandtruck)

I'll preface this by saying I know a lot of people are out of work, so here's an article on free online therapy. It's awkward, but online therapy is goddamn necessary in these times. Caveat Emptor, I haven't done enough research to give personal testimony. However, it's way way better than nothing.

https://paindoctor.com/free-therapy-online/

quote:

Saw a few posts asking 'How do I find a therapist?' and "How do I know they're good" so I wrote some stuff:

The first thing to do is try to think about what you want to get out of therapy. Are you anxious and want to be less anxious? Are you depressed and want to be less depressed? Is the piss tape real?(Yes) Are you having relationship issues and want them to get better? Or, you don't know what you want to get out of therapy but you do know something isn't right, which is fine too.

After you've thought about the above, go to PsychologyToday.com and put in your city. On the left you can start adding filters such as insurance. You can also sort by price and if they slide (meaning do they have a sliding scale based off of what you're able to pay, which most do). There are also options for Online Counseling if you are unable to go in person due to any reason. (I would encourage in-person but online is better than not going at all.) You'll also see "Issues" on the left where you can pick something that speaks out to you. Most issues are related so don't worry too much diagnosing yourself and picking the right issue. These are professionals and they will know what the issue is.

You can also sort by theory. So if you've read about DBT for instance and really think it's right for you, click that. If you're not sure, don't worry, these are professionals and they will know what theories to try. All therapists you'll find on here will favor 1 or 2 theories of treatment but will be experienced in working in a variety of theories/methods so I wouldn't get too hung up on this unless there is something you're looking for in particular.

Take a look at their picture first off. Does anyone strike you as off-putting, or chuddlike? Go with your gut here! It doesn't mean your gut is right, but your gut is telling you that you won't be able to work well with that person. And that's okay. Don't force yourself to work with someone who isn't the right fit for you. Notice how on the left you can also sort by man or woman. This is also okay. And this may not be kosher for this forum but even if someone is of a certain group that you have prejudice towards do not force yourself to see them. You aren't doing anyone any favors or changing the world or ending racism/classism/sexism by wasting your time and money going to see someone you can't make progress with.

Once you've filtered some people out, take a look at their bio. Does anyone strike you as interesting? Anyone say something that really resonates with you? If someone sneaks in, "kids today don't have any grit," they're probably not for you. Conversely if they mention how powerful economic issues are in influencing our mental health, it might be working talking to said comrade. Once again, go with your gut.

Give 'em a call! All therapists should do a free 15-20 minute FREE phone consultation. You will never have to pay for that phone call even if you decide to continue with them. Talk to them, be open, tell them what your reservations are. Then, listen. When they responded did you feel like you could open up to that person in session? Or did you feel like it'll be an uphill battle? If you didn't click with them, dump their fuckin rear end and move on.

Generally I would ask you, "do you feel like you've been able to open up to that person, and how do you feel when you do open up?" If you've been able to explore things with them and you feel comfortable with them, I think that's good. There's no perfect metric because let's say you went into your first session wanting to work on your depression, there may be other things that have to be worked through first before the depression can be alleviated. Or if you're anxious, you might always be anxious going into session, it doesn't mean that therapist isn't good or that therapy isn't working.

I think in some ways it's better to ask, can I see myself growing in this space with this person or have we hit a wall? It's very difficult because someone who is just starting to work through some very scary stuff might start to tell themselves their therapist sucks as an excuse to quit. It's a tricky question but for me I could usually tell between 4 and 8 sessions if I could work with this person.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have always felt that there is an inherent limit to my potential and available opportunities because I was born with a permanent physical disability. As I learn more about how the world works it's been like "welp I guess that is not gonna happen". I don't want to die but I only live because I'm alive, don't really have anything to look forward to.