Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basic Chunnel posted:

What are their mod names? I do enjoy a clusterfuck, though I hope they're at least judicious about which SITREPs they activate on - having 2+ warring factions on top of normal enemies for a VIP extraction, for example, sounds like the kind of nightmare that...

Actually, that might be just on enough on the side of possible to make for memorable missions. Mostly I'm concerned that normal XCOM2 maps are a little too small for so much stuff, and the mods that expand map size tend to break the timer balance.

They spawn as their own SITREP so they won't interact with any other SITREP and only one faction can spawn at a time (also applies to MOCX who use the system though they aren't hostile to the aliens). You might actually want to get a mod that enables more SITREPs if you want them to be a significant part of your game, I've found generally since they're competing in the pool with other SITREPs and a ton of missions don't have/are ineligible to generate with SITREPs you don't run into them that often.

Look up 'Raider Faction: Bandits, Raider Faction: Phantoms, Raider Faction: Marauders, Raider Faction: Cult of Jariah, Raider Faction Rogue XCOM Operatives and Raider Faction Bases'

RealityMachina in general has a ton of great mods

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Thanks! Any good mods for opening up sitreps like you suggest?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Zore posted:

RealityMachina in general has a ton of great mods
It's easy to scoff at "mod your way into getting a job in games" but I would be surprised if Firaxis didn't actively try to recruit the guy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basic Chunnel posted:

Thanks! Any good mods for opening up sitreps like you suggest?

'More Mission Sitreps' by RealityMachina enables SitReps for Council, Resistance Ops, Retaliations, Landed UFOs, and Alien Facility missions. It excludes Surgical, Fireteam and Low Profile from them by default.

If you want to go further 'Guarantee 3rd Parties' makes it so that any mission that can have a SITREP in vanilla will have one and disables all the Vanilla game SITREPs so you always have one of the raider factions or MOCX spawn

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Piled on the mods from that creator and my game is wheezing like never before but it's not crashing (at least... not yet). I'm hyped

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zore posted:

They're a different addon :v:

Reality Machina did a whole series of faction packs that add on '3rd side' factions that are hostile to both Advent and XCOM. and spawned via Sitrep. You have renegade/hostile versions of the Reapers/Templar/Skimishers, renegade XCOM and just plain old human Bandits. They usually make things a bit of a clusterfuck.

And yes, all the renegade Reapers have concealment (though not Shadow).

There's another one that gives them all HQs you can find via covert ops to take them out.

Other people have made mods to spawn 3rd party factions using this as a base ranging from Geth/Terminus Mercenaries from Mass Effect to Dark Eldar/World Eaters from Warhammer 40k to the loving SCP Foundation/Global Occult Coalition from the SCP wiki.

I could never get those to spawn with anything more than base HP, so they were pretty much always insta-murdered.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As "headshot"-free Lost they might still have some utility - real XCOM heads know that action economy is king.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I've run into the bandits a few times - and I have a mod that increases pod size with force level, I don't know if that affects them too or not, but they generally spawn in pretty large numbers.

I've legit had soldiers saved by ADVENT's decision to attack the Bandits instead of me.

Raider Factions are fun.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Note that there is also a straight Gene mods Mod, if you really want that EW flavour. It even has a lot of the same gene mods IIRC.

(It is also stupidly easy to add your own Gene Mods with a little cofig editing).

Frankly, it would be worth more if there were good PCS mods, but no one seems that interested in them.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 31, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This loving game

https://i.imgur.com/xiVaida.mp4

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Though I wish the game notified you ahead of time what the consequences of some of you moves are, I did get a laugh out of my squad losing concealment and getting destroyed because I hacked an Advent surveillance tower and gained control of an enemy MEC halfway across the map

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

plasma rifles but ballistic sniper :stonk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

My thought was to rush plasma rifles since rangers and drone dudes can use them and then somehow not die. Grenadiers I mainly use for explosives/cover destruction and my snipers (in tandem with my ranger) plinked poo poo to death from afar. I'm currently now chasing the Avatar countdown with only 1 facility left to do so I sure hope more poo poo pops up for me to get rid of this timer!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Mike N Eich posted:

Though I wish the game notified you ahead of time what the consequences of some of you moves are, I did get a laugh out of my squad losing concealment and getting destroyed because I hacked an Advent surveillance tower and gained control of an enemy MEC halfway across the map

Never don't take "Control Random Enemy". The risks pale in comparison to the hilarity.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Even better, it's the ballistic sniper who hits, not even using his pistol.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Only just now learned that MOCX will auto-generate their own propoganda posters ala XCOM. Not a great endorsement of their efficacy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
they even make posters mourning the deaths of people you capture who join XCOM, which seems like an oversight at first but nahhh it's propaganda so it makes sense.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Only just now learned that MOCX will auto-generate their own propoganda posters ala XCOM. Not a great endorsement of their efficacy

He killed 0 terrorists because there are no terrorists to be killed. :thunk:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

yeah that made me squirm

tho if you are facing normal advent mechs with plasma rifles the gamble might have worked out i guess?

babypolis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 1, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mike N Eich posted:

At least you didn't get revealed by gaining control of the capture/kill target. Had to stop for the night, right after revealing another drat pod. 4 people on the mission, what is the estimated butchers bill?

1 Gunner (90% dead)
1 Psychic (drat, just realized I killed a dominated foe thinking they were just mind controlled)
1 Not as good Psychic
1 Technician

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I did it! It's July 28 and my Sharpshooters have finally moved on from ballistics to Plasma. I can actually use them now!

This run has made me appreciate grenadiers so loving much. Armor? No problem let's shred the gently caress out of it all! Also this video/series:

Has been an eye opener. It's helped me approach encounters with a completely different mindset and I'm doing waaaay better than any previous run because of it. Really making me look at the maps at the start, use high ground whenever possible, lure packs to me instead of running to them, lots of little things have made this run super fun to go through.

I think my next run is going to be all psionics but I'll need to read how to properly rush / get started with those since I imagine the time / bottleneck of only being able to train 1-2 at a time with not great gear must make the start extra brutal.

Then assuming WOTC goes on sale on Steam i get to re-learn this game again!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 1, 2020

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Counterpoint to all the excellent survival and tactics post:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Basic Chunnel posted:

He killed 0 terrorists because he's obviously a member of the IRA!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I would just like to say, that playing with your friends as your soldiers can be pretty fun.

But things step up to an extra level of potential hilarity when you make soldiers out of your friends' RP characters. D&D, WoW characters, insert MMO of choice... Because then all the crazy weird mod-induced poo poo that starts happening gets explained via all those characters' crazy quirks.

One particular soldier of mine has developed quite a legacy that still hasn't stopped growing despite the fact that he died 7 missions ago. No one assigned him his minigun. He just arrived on the Avenger, ran over to the armory, went "Ooh, minigun" and just sorta grabbed one. No one was quite sure how to react. Then we found out that he just... had a coffin that he kept bringing to missions. No one could figure out why, or more distressingly, how. When our sniper put up a bafflingly poor performance, he offered the coffin to him, and he just sorta... curled up inside and cried. Further failure resulted in said sniper being banished to the now-dubbed "Forever Box" - his release therefrom marking the start of his redemption arc into my now Sniper-God. Rumor is that the Forever Box imbued him with Competence.

He kept sneaking away from missions to get ADVENT Burger in time for post-mission photos, and was generally *always* making some stupid silly pose in the post-mission photos. You could rely on Luci to be doing something weird. Until the day a soldier based on one of his good friends from another setting died. The coffin was there in the post-mission photo, closed... and Luci was saluting. I still think that's fuckin' spooky.

And then it happened. Luci themself went down, and I will fully admit it was due to my own obliviousness. But then, his weapons, mods and all, went to other soldiers. And in the very next mission, those two soldiers performed miracles with those weapons. Their Minigun landed multiple critical Executions, and the sword landed multiple stuns that saved lives due to still being Magnetic-tier.

And now, after defeating the Warlock and getting his Disrupter Rifle, I've also lucked into some ammo I assume added by that SCP Raider Faction Mod, that applied the Vocabular Cognitohazard. I came to the conclusion, because the character is just that weird in *any* setting, that the Cognitohazard is actually the Spirit of Luci still trying to assert themselves in the physical world.

And of course, I then proceeded to realize that the soldier using the Warlock's rifle is also the one using the now-dubbed Luci-Bullets.

And you'll never guess what class Luci is in World of Warcraft...

A Warlock.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
^^ I don't think roleplayers understand how awkward and cringeworthy it is to be told about/read that stuff.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Serephina posted:

^^ I don't think roleplayers understand how awkward and cringeworthy it is to be told about/read that stuff.

Would you rather I had included the relevant post-mission posters?

This is a game where you are encouraged to customize your soldiers, and get attached to them. Developing that into your own little stories-within-a-story is inevitable among people with a stronger imagination, and what's the fun of it all if you can't share your stories with other people who play the same game?

I'm not asking you applaud it, but I will ask you at least not to insult it for not being an MSPaint meme or mechanical gameplay theorycrafting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All I know about rpg stuff is that the first time I won, the day was saved by Robert Muldoon, Ray Arnold, and a bunch of dudes straight outa Predator.

Game is good guys.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm getting close to the end of XCom 2 Vanilla, I think. I have all the buildings built, my dudes are decked out in Tier 3 weapons and armor, and I just accepted the mission to investigate the codex site. While it was loading I thought " drat, there sure aren't a lot of Chrysalids in this version of XCom huh" and then I got 9 on the Psi Gate mission.

Of course, once your dudes are Colonels and you have maxed out items they're a chicken shoot. Still fun to knock those fuckers around.

Question - how useful are the Psi soldiers really? I got into them later in the campaign and I'm trying to level one up, but i've been totally fine without them to this point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psi Operatives can be incredibly powerful, but they have to sit in a box for a few months first.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Hwurmp posted:

Psi Operatives can be incredibly powerful, but they have to sit in a box for a few months first.

Pretty much this. Psi operatives are, at least in my opinion, your best source of consistent damage, with many of their abilities hitting automatically and all of them bypassing armor. Some highlights include Solace (prevent and cure mental ailments in an area around the psi op, passively - it even works mid-movement!), Domination (permanently mind control an enemy unit), Null Lance (do heavy damage to anything in a straight line), and that old favorite Void Rift (which not only does damage but has a small chance of Mindspinning each unit caught in the blast). Even the most basic abilities are useful, though; Soulfire does guaranteed damage to any organic unit and Stasis takes any unit completely out of the fight for a turn. Perhaps best of all, they eventually learn to do everything, though which skills they can learn in any given training session is limited. And you don't even have to risk them in the field to get them leveled up!

Their limiting factors are few, but important, primarily that they're resource hogs. Just to unlock access to them requires multiple research projects and a specialized facility, and Elerium Crystals (needed for both) are hard to come by early game. You can only have one psi op training at a time until you upgrade the facility, at which point you can train two. You want to get them the best Psi Amp tech as quickly as you can to maximize their effectiveness. You can't risk them in the field to level them up; you have to stick them in the facility and wait. (They can go on missions without interrupting their training, though.) A number of their abilities don't affect inorganic units. And almost all of them have cooldown.

That said, there's definitely room for one on your team. If nothing else, Inspire, which gives another action point to another unit, is an awesome ability - you can give your Grenadier another shot, move your Ranger into better cover, or have your Sharpshooter take a blue move before sniping. There's a lot of synergy!

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Always seemed like a weird reward system on Psi Ranks, they can gain Ranks safely but that also means you literally never have to Risk them. Psi Lab may as well have a big sign on it with Break Glass in Case of Emergency.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Pretty much this. Psi operatives are, at least in my opinion, your best source of consistent damage, with many of their abilities hitting automatically and all of them bypassing armor. Some highlights include Solace (prevent and cure mental ailments in an area around the psi op, passively - it even works mid-movement!), Domination (permanently mind control an enemy unit), Null Lance (do heavy damage to anything in a straight line), and that old favorite Void Rift (which not only does damage but has a small chance of Mindspinning each unit caught in the blast). Even the most basic abilities are useful, though; Soulfire does guaranteed damage to any organic unit and Stasis takes any unit completely out of the fight for a turn. Perhaps best of all, they eventually learn to do everything, though which skills they can learn in any given training session is limited. And you don't even have to risk them in the field to get them leveled up!

Their limiting factors are few, but important, primarily that they're resource hogs. Just to unlock access to them requires multiple research projects and a specialized facility, and Elerium Crystals (needed for both) are hard to come by early game. You can only have one psi op training at a time until you upgrade the facility, at which point you can train two. You want to get them the best Psi Amp tech as quickly as you can to maximize their effectiveness. You can't risk them in the field to level them up; you have to stick them in the facility and wait. (They can go on missions without interrupting their training, though.) A number of their abilities don't affect inorganic units. And almost all of them have cooldown.

That said, there's definitely room for one on your team. If nothing else, Inspire, which gives another action point to another unit, is an awesome ability - you can give your Grenadier another shot, move your Ranger into better cover, or have your Sharpshooter take a blue move before sniping. There's a lot of synergy!

Ah that reminds me of a question I had - I've sold/used all my Sectoid corpses and I realize I need some to upgrade the Psi Amp, and I'm far enough in the campaign that I haven't seen a Sectoid in several months....Will I ever see one again? Am I screwed on that front?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mike N Eich posted:

Ah that reminds me of a question I had - I've sold/used all my Sectoid corpses and I realize I need some to upgrade the Psi Amp, and I'm far enough in the campaign that I haven't seen a Sectoid in several months....Will I ever see one again? Am I screwed on that front?

You will, when the assassination quest pop up, check the enemies that are in them.

Doing a full team of Psy soldiers is something everyone should experience. You just loving lay waste to everything you see.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And the easiest way to get Who Needs Tygan in the final mission

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm up to 3 psi ops decently killed (only 1 maxed) and honestly this isn't fair to the aliens.

Between multiple void rifts, stasis, and insanity, the amount of crowd control you can do is amazing.

:getin:

Stasis is by far my most used skill. Being able to pick the highest threat and go "I'll deal with you next turn" is so good to ease pressure off your team.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does LW2 expand on the list of mission names?

I programmed a mission name generator, based on the base XCOM2 mission names, to teach myself a new programming language and I'd like to make a LW2 sub-category just... because.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, Iridar, same guy that made the Akimbo Class, just came out with another custom class: The Stormrider. A melee-only class with some unfocused psionic power in the form of, basically, red lightning. It looks really cool - they managed to give it an Overwatch in the form of "Intercept", which has a range of 1 Blue Move for the Intercepting soldier, and when it's triggered, they run out to stab the offender, then run back to their starting position.

Also, the Class Intro is goddamn beautiful.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm up to 3 psi ops decently killed (only 1 maxed) and honestly this isn't fair to the aliens.

Between multiple void rifts, stasis, and insanity, the amount of crowd control you can do is amazing.

:getin:

Stasis is by far my most used skill. Being able to pick the highest threat and go "I'll deal with you next turn" is so good to ease pressure off your team.

I'm just about to have a nearly fully trained Psi Op so I'm looking forward to using him. Of course, I've also just triggered the Network Tower mission which as I understand it is nearly the end of the game.

Stasis seems useful but if I carry 3 mimic beacons with me, I can pretty much keep enemies occupied long enough to blow em up. :chord:

I gotta give credit to Firaxis, even on Normal difficulty, I don't ever feel like I'm cruising, and even this far into the game with fully kitted out Colonels, I don't feel like I completely outclass the enemies and If I get lazy and trigger a Sectopod pod, I know I gotta use every trick in the book in order to not get my squad decimated. Good stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My plan to go all psi ops has been derailed by my colonel grenadier with aim PCS and superior scope that never, ever, loving misses. Bluescreen rounds + the dual shot and it can almost down a Sectopod by itself. My 6th spot is also currently a Specialist because the little drones are cool and hacking/shutting down robots is also cool.

I now have 4 maxed out psi ops with a 5&6 on the way but I don't think I'll use them. I also reached a point where I'm earning enough to buy all the resistance soldiers so even if I lost people my roster is just growing and growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, Iridar, same guy that made the Akimbo Class, just came out with another custom class: The Stormrider. A melee-only class with some unfocused psionic power in the form of, basically, red lightning. It looks really cool - they managed to give it an Overwatch in the form of "Intercept", which has a range of 1 Blue Move for the Intercepting soldier, and when it's triggered, they run out to stab the offender, then run back to their starting position.

Also, the Class Intro is goddamn beautiful.

holy poo poo