Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wonder just how long The Athletic’s VC can hold out before they also do massive layoffs and the whole thing goes down in flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wonder just how long The Athletic’s VC can hold out before they also do massive layoffs and the whole thing goes down in flames

i mean i've been predicting doom and gloom for a year now but if anything digital media should be a relatively unaffected market as long as there is still some sort of news to report on; the athletic also does yearly subscriptions so while they might not meet their growth goals they probably won't shed many readers either

in the "no sports for half a year" scenario it's not just the athletic but any site that sticks to "just sports" that's gonna be running short on ad revenue; some (like sb nation) have parent companies that will effectively let them weather the storm but anyone who actually owns their own site is gonna be hosed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Declan MacManus posted:

in the "no sports for half a year" scenario it's not just the athletic but any site that sticks to "just sports" that's gonna be running short on ad revenue; some (like sb nation) have parent companies that will effectively let them weather the storm but anyone who actually owns their own site is gonna be hosed
LOL forever at Vichy Deadspin relaunching itself just as all sports disappear for next zillion months. Huh, if only they had some sort of well-developed non-sports editorial content that would get people clicking into it despite no sports being played anywhere. What a crazy idea.

And ESPN's front page has been brutal for the last few weeks. How many mock drafts can they hold?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was pretty bullish on The Athletic relative to some of the criticism it got -- all the sports/teams I follow had really good content at price I was happy to pay -- but IDK how they survive when there is an entire year with no sports to produce even hypothetical content about.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I was pretty bullish on The Athletic relative to some of the criticism it got -- all the sports/teams I follow had really good content at price I was happy to pay -- but IDK how they survive when there is an entire year with no sports to produce even hypothetical content about.

People are too lazy to cancel subscriptions

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
hating VC /PE guys aside, i hope the athletic is able to weather it. it's a good site with some good writers and sports journalism would be worse without it atm imo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Athletic has been actually pretty good the last few weeks. They’re letting the beat reporters pull even more stories out — the Blazers reporter is recalling stories from the Jail Blazer era, and the soccer writers in the UK are talking about “all time” stuff for the teams they cover. Considering the European soccer vertical only really started this year, it’s not like they’re re-using story ideas they ran recently.

Not having offices or rent to pay will help keep their overhead low as well.

I like it and I’ll probably re-sub once mine expires as well. When sports were around it was great.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FMguru posted:

And ESPN's front page has been brutal for the last few weeks. How many mock drafts can they hold?

No kidding. It’s my worst nightmare. Nothing but mock drafts and NFL free agency moves. I don’t even think the olympics getting postponed garnered the top story.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Even if this virus never happened, David Stern could be caught doing blow off a hooker's rear end the night before the NBA finals by ESPN's own cameras and the top ESPN.com story would switch to Mel Kiper's top 10 underrated quarterback picks within an hour.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Even if this virus never happened, David Stern could be caught doing blow off a hooker's rear end the night before the NBA finals by ESPN's own cameras and the top ESPN.com story would switch to Mel Kiper's top 10 underrated quarterback picks within an hour.

For most commissioners this would be true but considering that would mean he’s undead I think they’d stick with Stern as the main story.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DJExile posted:

I feel like Stern rising from the dead might be a bigger story.

efb

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao son of a bitch I keep loving up Stern and Silver

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mahoning posted:

I don’t even think the olympics getting postponed garnered the top story.
ESPN's near-total embargo on Olympics news (because ABC-Disney-ESPN has no stake in them) is always funny. I remember summer 2012 when SportsCenter was literally 20 minutes of Tim Tebow working out with the Jets, followed by 30 seconds of Americans winning gold medals in London.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lockback posted:

I feel like Stern rising from the dead might be a bigger story.

efb

I guess it's not that surprising that with all the other poo poo that's been going on in the past year that I somehow completely missed that David Stern died 3 months ago.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

FMguru posted:

ESPN's near-total embargo on Olympics news (because ABC-Disney-ESPN has no stake in them) is always funny. I remember summer 2012 when SportsCenter was literally 20 minutes of Tim Tebow working out with the Jets, followed by 30 seconds of Americans winning gold medals in London.

Isn't part of this that the IOC is incredibly stingy with video rights?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zakharov posted:

Absolutely. But it's still funny to see the Olympics shuffled off to the slot where they usually put the water-skiing gerbil or funny sumo bloopers because Tebow in New York is so much more important a story.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Yeah they basically can't show anything aside from still frames afaik

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

Yeah this is a huge part of it. ESPN definitely doesn't give a gently caress about things that don't run on their networks but the IOC puts video rights on harder lockdown than even FIFA does with world cup clips

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Safe Word posted:

I guess it's not that surprising that with all the other poo poo that's been going on in the past year that I somehow completely missed that David Stern died 3 months ago.

Stern was COVID patient zero and Kobe was shot down by Iranian proxies with Chinese funding, you heard it here first folks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DJExile posted:

Yeah this is a huge part of it. ESPN definitely doesn't give a gently caress about things that don't run on their networks but the IOC puts video rights on harder lockdown than even FIFA does with world cup clips

gently caress the IOC in pretty much every way

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The IOC is so tight with video restrictions, they’re trying to get people to not even take and upload video on their smartphones for this year’s next year’s Olympics.

Good luck with that.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

Yeah they basically can't show anything aside from still frames afaik

i remember producing sportscasts during the 2010 Olympics (Mizzou runs the Mid-Missouri NBC affiliate as a training ground for its J-school) and remember getting this email from our station director:

some of the rules may have changed since then but this is the general idea posted:

NBC's rules for use of its video are very strict and come with equally weighty penalties. It's important that everyone read and understand what we can do with Olympic video in news and sportscasts. I'll summarize the main points below, as well as attaching the full document from NBC.

The following rules apply to all Olympic footage at any venue or official Olympic village area from today through Sunday, Feb. 28.

1) Olympic video can only run in regularly schedule newscasts. That means it cannot run in promos or updates running at other times of the day to promote the news. For definition's sake, our sports show is a regularly scheduled newscast.
2) We cannot air any events from a particular day until the primetime telecast for that day has concluded. For instance, an event that happens at 3 pm CST cannot be used on our six pm show. We have to wait until after primetime (10:30 or 11:00 pm most days) to air that footage.
3) We cannot air any footage that comes from anywhere not recorded from an NBC channel. The safest way to do this is to get the footage from either our own air or NBC News Channel. We cannot use anything from YouTube or other online source.
4) We cannot put any Olympics video online or on any wireless or mobile device. Web editors have received instructions to cut all Olympic footage from anything we post online.
5) Olympic footage can only appear in 3 newscasts per day. For us, that will be the morning show, six, and ten. In each of those casts, we can run a maximum of two minutes. That's a total of six minutes total for the entire day.
6) There is a 24 hour limit on using Olympic video. The clock, starts when the first use is permitted, usually at the end of prime time. So, for instance, footage from 4 pm CST Wednesday cannot be used after the end or prime time on Thursday.
7) A courtesy super stating "Courtesy NBC Olympics" must appear the entire time the Olympic footage appears on air. We also cannot cover any NBC "bugs" on the footage we use.

and that's for a local NBC affiliate. most of the things we aired were big US athletes medaling and hockey highlights.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

No Safe Word posted:

It's because Kobe died 3 weeks later and that completely pushed Stern right off the bottom page.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean i've been predicting doom and gloom for a year now but if anything digital media should be a relatively unaffected market as long as there is still some sort of news to report on; the athletic also does yearly subscriptions so while they might not meet their growth goals they probably won't shed many readers either

This is apparently killing fangraphs. And although the timing is really bad for a baseball focused site, I can see other sports journalism sites losing a ton of pageviews what with sports being cancelled now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, if you like baseball and you have some disposable income please subscribe to Fangraphs. Their pageviews are down about 66% year over year due to the pandemic delaying opening day. They're a really vital website with a ton of great stuff and they try to do right by their writers.

From their site:

David Appelman posted:

This is not how I planned to begin FanGraphs’ 15th year.

I wanted to take a moment to personally inform all of our readers about what’s been going on at FanGraphs these past few weeks, and to share our plans going forward.

Starting March 12, after the announcement that Opening Day would be postponed, we have seen a steep decline in our site traffic that has lead to a correspondingly dramatic decline in revenue. Every piece you read and tool you use at FanGraphs is free to access, but they all take money to create. We are a small business. We rely on the revenue generated by site traffic.

As a result of these declines, I’ve had to make fairly aggressive budget cuts to try to keep FanGraphs viable as a company until the COVID-19 pandemic is resolved and baseball returns. This has involved all of our full-time staff members taking pay cuts, laying off the majority of our contributors, and closing The Hardball Times for the foreseeable future. Now we are asking for your help.

FanGraphs employs 10 full-time staff members who, along with our contributors, produce 200-300 articles each month in addition to our ever-growing inventory of stats, graphs, and tools. Our mission is still to bring you the very best baseball statistics and analysis.

We realize this isn’t necessarily the best time to ask for your help. You have concerns of your own. All of us are anxious in the face of economic uncertainty. We’re all worried about our health, and the health of our loved ones and friends. We’re all worried about what comes next. Quite frankly, our front-line medical workers and emergency personnel, and those who are sick or have lost loved ones, need your assistance most. But if you can spare it, we are asking for your support.

If you read our work, ask our writers questions in chats, listen to our podcasts, browse RosterResource, peruse The Board for prospect rankings, or use our stat pages, please consider a FanGraphs membership. If you work in a baseball front office, and your team all uses one membership login, consider signing up for a few more. Consider an ad-free membership! In addition to helping to ensure there is a FanGraphs when baseball returns, you’ll enjoy the site without banner ads, facilitating faster loading times for just $50 a year.

To all of our existing Members, thank you so much for supporting the site. Being a member is the best way to support FanGraphs.

To all of our readers, we are going to continue asking for your support. We are going to ask pretty frequently. We know there’s no baseball right now, but we’re still writing and building and trying our best to help provide a bit of respite from the pandemic. And when baseball comes back, we want to be here for you.

Once again, thank you for reading and for your support.

Stay safe, and be well.

Link to their subscription form.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

like when nbc traded for al michaels one thing espn was supposed to get was more time for olympic highlights

guess it's not much of a difference

let's see what's going on with the herb

https://twitter.com/gmgunion/status/1246181977864015872

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So Jon and Kofie are doing another cool rear end thing but this time with OOTP

quote:

We’re going to take an old Mariners team and try to reverse their fortunes in Out Of The Park Baseball 21. OOTP is a very text-based oriented simulator which allows us to input what our team should do. Instead of telling a pitcher to throw a slider, or aiming and selecting the pitch power, we’ll be suggesting whether to pitch to contact, pitch around, etc.

https://www.sbnation.com/2020/4/3/21203609/fumble-dimension-out-of-the-park-baseball

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
OOTP is something that's always kinda interested me, I'd love to see what they do with it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Troy Queef posted:

i remember producing sportscasts during the 2010 Olympics (Mizzou runs the Mid-Missouri NBC affiliate as a training ground for its J-school) and remember getting this email from our station director:

and that's for a local NBC affiliate. most of the things we aired were big US athletes medaling and hockey highlights.

What does the IOC get out of this poo poo? It can't be money?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ootp is like space station 13 in that it seems like your can have a lot of fun but you have to commit countless hours to reading before fun happens

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What does the IOC get out of this poo poo? It can't be money?

It's exclusivity to the extreme, basically. IOC locks down their video rights to a crazy degree and pretty much only wants you seeing any of their events or videos on either their own platform or the US's national TV partner.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spaced God posted:

Ootp is like space station 13 in that it seems like your can have a lot of fun but you have to commit countless hours to reading before fun happens

i get that spreadsheet sport sims wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but you really don't. unless you just like don't know anything about baseball and then yeah you'd probably have to read a lot about how baseball works

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

It's exclusivity to the extreme, basically. IOC locks down their video rights to a crazy degree and pretty much only wants you seeing any of their events or videos on either their own platform or the US's national TV partner.

The dumber thing is how strictly NBC tries to lock major events down and only present them in prime time.

Which is going to be tough when everything finishes before 10 pm local time in Tokyo, and the East Coast is a 13 hour time difference to Japan...they’re going to be trying to sit on results that come in very early in the morning all the way to prime time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm not a Shea Serrano superfan but one thing I'm enjoying is when he tweets something like "gently caress TRUMP and if you support him don't buy my book and don't follow me" and then someone just tags Bill Simmons and is like "You see this?"

It is interesting seeing what all these sports and pop culture sites are having to do to hit their content quota right now. The front page of ESPN is a loving dark scary place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

soggybagel posted:

I'm not a Shea Serrano superfan but one thing I'm enjoying is when he tweets something like "gently caress TRUMP and if you support him don't buy my book and don't follow me" and then someone just tags Bill Simmons and is like "You see this?"

It is interesting seeing what all these sports and pop culture sites are having to do to hit their content quota right now. The front page of ESPN is a loving dark scary place.

There was one last week where someone tagged the Ringer and sarcastically said "keep hiring this guy," which raises a lot of questions.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

harperdc posted:

The dumber thing is how strictly NBC tries to lock major events down and only present them in prime time.

Which is going to be tough when everything finishes before 10 pm local time in Tokyo, and the East Coast is a 13 hour time difference to Japan...they’re going to be trying to sit on results that come in very early in the morning all the way to prime time.

i know offhand that they scheduled the swimming finals for the morning tokyo time

they have enough clout to schedule some big stuff for american prime time if it's possible

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Things are going great at SI

https://twitter.com/grantwahl/status/1247010420294127617?s=21

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's deleted. Any screen shot?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Where do we host images these days?

Either way apparently if anyone gets laid off after July 1, no severance; his bosses want to make his pay cut permanent, and said that they were using the pandemic as an excuse to cut salaries.

So, things going well at SI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

i know offhand that they scheduled the swimming finals for the morning tokyo time

they have enough clout to schedule some big stuff for american prime time if it's possible

I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention when trying to get tickets (partially because I thought finals would be more competitive). Swimming finals are almost all 10:30-12:00 local time, and the basketball gold medal game is actually the first game scheduled for the final day (before the women’s finals and both bronze medal games), from 11:30 to 1:30 pm local.

[Ask] me about how overrun the Tokyo 2020 ticketing process has been :v: