Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I love the xp/inf fix, partly because it means I can go back to gaining veteran levels on my farmer to show off my e-peen, but also doubling inf by turning off xp was a stupid idea to begin with and only served to inflate the whole economy by double and then some and make everything twice as unaffordable for casual players. So it's good.

I also love this brawl. I really hope they put it in the P2W vendor or something after this.

I also love watching idiots on the homecoming forums whine about how the tiny man in a toga is breaking their immersion.

I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does the patch allow for asymmetrical parts now?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Inzombiac posted:

Does the patch allow for asymmetrical parts now?

Boots and gloves, yeah. Shoulders are coming soon-ish, apparently.

The next patch is also slated for Titan Weapons and Tactical Arrow nerfs, along with buffs for Trick Arrow, Energy Melee, and another pass at trying to give Dark Melee an AOE.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I hope they can nerf TW in a way that doesn't affect me, an idiot who's not trying very hard and just likes to chop up the bad guys

well, I also haven't played in months, but in case I ever do again

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Was Titan seriously OP?

The early levels are soooo slow that I can't get into it.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
uh, yeah, majorly so

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Was Titan seriously OP?

The early levels are soooo slow that I can't get into it.

It's a pretty huge outlier, yeah.

The trouble being though, like you mentioned, that it does kinda suck for early levels with a lot of drawbacks you work out through slotting. Ideally, any rework that's going to reduce its damage is also going to shore up those weaknesses, but I've got a sinking feeling they're just gonna take a sledgehammer to it because it's popular.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inzombiac posted:

Was Titan seriously OP?

Titan is the king of AoE, and single target damage is good too. The low levels suck until you get perma-hasten, but from then on you're golden.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
TW is the only melee set IIRC that doesn't abide by the damage formulas that everything else in the game goes by, it's straight up an upgrade to War Mace, which is already a pretty good set

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ali Aces posted:

and make everything twice as unaffordable for casual players

everything in game is a fraction of what it cost on live and is much, much easier to get. the most expensive things peak at like 30m? whereas they were 2b on live (if they didn't sell for more than cap at times).

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Ali Aces posted:

I love the xp/inf fix, partly because it means I can go back to gaining veteran levels on my farmer to show off my e-peen

smh at not stopping at Vet level 69

smdh

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TW gets good around the time you fall out of Death From Below - you need enough attacks to make it through a whole Momentum without stopping. then you start building up to the point where you can do a second Momentum right after the first, or getting a whole combo chain of AoE attacks, etc

I'm sure perma-hasten helps but the core problem with the early levels is that it's a combo-chain set and it takes ~4 powers before you can a full combo

EDIT: by "combo-chain" I mean the peculiar way you have specific, measured bursts of activity - I can't think of another MMO class that has this mechanic. at 35 or so, you stop having rest periods between combos; before that, I like having the predefined "slot" in which to drop a self-heal or change bio stances

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 1, 2020

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Tsurupettan posted:

everything in game is a fraction of what it cost on live and is much, much easier to get. the most expensive things peak at like 30m? whereas they were 2b on live (if they didn't sell for more than cap at times).

I definitely was selling Panacea uniques for 6 billion (3x inf cap) on live, yeah

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
So, cause I'm not as min/max-y as I used to be on live can someone clarify for me? Is it no longer a good idea to work on leveling my spines/fire tanker that I just wanted to use it for inf and maybe PLing my kids characters?

Also to avoid multiple posting can some one post a link to the old goonbox again please? Or did that previous page where it was discussed on what to take out have it there?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Farming is still viable. I did most of mine without using the exemp farms anyway. Have a couple pages of 50s all IOed out. You'll be fine, farm away. If you're on Everlasting I can help you get your farmer up and running.

I did mine on a spines/fire brute, don't know how the tanker compares with the recent changes.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Gorgar posted:

Farming is still viable. I did most of mine without using the exemp farms anyway. Have a couple pages of 50s all IOed out. You'll be fine, farm away. If you're on Everlasting I can help you get your farmer up and running.

I did mine on a spines/fire brute, don't know how the tanker compares with the recent changes.

I'm on Indomitable, supposedly the changes have narrowed the Brute/Tanker gap so I went with Tanker just to have one for the kids. I have a Rad/Fire hero for similar reasons.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
If you're having farmer anxiety you can easily make good enough money for an indefinite number of budget builds by just doing WSTs and getting TFC as you level, turning the merits into converters, and selling them on the AH.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah there's a pretty wide number of options for making reliable money. Even just doing random basic poo poo at level 50 produces a decent trickle of inf. When it comes to the nerf it's pretty much entirely people whining that instead of being able to generate ALL of the influence they can only generate most of it. Number go down, people get mad.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The next patch is also slated for Titan Weapons and Tactical Arrow nerfs, along with buffs for Trick Arrow, Energy Melee, and another pass at trying to give Dark Melee an AOE.

What's the source on this?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The Inf Nerf was necessary for the long term health of the servers. Super Hero Income Inequality is a very real concern. I'm glad that our benevolent overlords took a proactive, Keynesian approach to the game's economy. Yes, purples would go for 10 billion Inf on live, but that was after 8 years of fat cats exploiting whatever they could for cash. And then came AE, which was basically Paragon City's version of repealing the Glass-Steagall Act.

Like Murdoch said, you farmers will still be on top, just not to a comically stellar degree. If we keep the prices down, then no one actually needs that much money unless their motivation is just epeen and sheer greed.

I don't like to be judgemental of other people's playstyles, but is farming REALLY that fun to begin with? Its always struck me as being tedious and boring. If you're so hard up for cash, run a +4 ITF kill all. :hist101:

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 1, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

What's the source on this?

Just some posts from their powers guy in the beta feedback threads. I don't think they have a dev tracker like the real forums used to, though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Brave New World posted:

I don't like to be judgemental of other people's playstyles, but is farming REALLY that fun to begin with? Its always struck me as being tedious and boring. If you're so hard up for cash, run a +4 ITF kill all. :hist101:

Farming is a necessary evil if you want to play the "right" way. Roll a rad/fire, group to 50, farm an hour a day for two weeks, email the INF to your other chars. Still, notice how I put "quotes" around "right". The difficulty of the game has not been changed since launch, so even if you only use scrounged SOs you won't be too far behind. If you don't like farming, no biggie.

I saw a guy a month ago with 1500 vet levels, so there's clearly a few people who really, really like farming.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

farming isn't even the optimal cashflow, converters and playing the market is and can make you more inf in a shorter span of time than farming ever will.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Can confirm I make lodesamone just dumping merits into Converters and slamming #YOLO conversions until things turn up Milhouse for me. Marvel as you turn a 60k inf enhancement into 8+ million with some clicks of a button!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Yeah, I mentioned on the patch notes thread on their forums. My main issue is them claiming that using the system was abusing it, and the sneaky way they did it--really feels like a misstep to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The rested XP thing was pretty dang busted so I can understand why they played it close to the chest.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
There's basically no way to go about that change without pissing off all the people who are gonna be pissed off about it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The rested XP thing was pretty dang busted so I can understand why they played it close to the chest.

So busted that nobody knew it was an exploit at all for however many years it was implemented, until they decided it was. :v:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Yeah I'm not looking to become a billionaire, I would just like some cash flow to help my, my kids, and my wife's characters out.

The more mindless the better so I can just cakewalk through some monies while watching them during quarantine.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

pretty much nobody has their cashflow broken by this change, it's just that you can't make quite as egregiously a huge number anymore. people mad about it seem to mainly be complaining about the principle of the thing, personally I'm all for "un-solving" a very calcified metagame

I should get Sluggo is Lit leveled up and farmable, it can't be any worse for me than Inquisitor

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Comfortador posted:

Yeah I'm not looking to become a billionaire, I would just like some cash flow to help my, my kids, and my wife's characters out.

I'm just imagining some poor, disheveled man pleading with the devs. "Please, think of my wife and kids..."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Comfortador posted:

The more mindless the better so I can just cakewalk through some monies while watching them during quarantine.

Get all the exploration badges in Atlas Park, Echo Atlas (or Kings Row), and Echo Galaxy. That's 15 merits = 45 converters = over 3 million influence if you list them at 80k. That should be more than enough to buy trainers and DOs and make level 25 IOs from parts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

that's actually a fine point: get the 25/30 memorization badges. they'll make it stupendously cheap to outfit your whole family in 25/30 workbench IOs of whatever type you require. some builds really don't work without proper set IOs but mostly that's enough

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm just imagining some poor, disheveled man pleading with the devs. "Please, think of my wife and kids..."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Just had the easiest Synapse run ever. 4 controllers, 3 doms, and a defender. 1 hour and 20 minutes, it was really fun.

Incarnate chat: what the hell am I doing with the 500 threads I have, it looks like I need shards to craft anything. Got my first alpha slot enhancement crafted and working on the second, but I need more shards.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Soonmot posted:

Just had the easiest Synapse run ever. 4 controllers, 3 doms, and a defender. 1 hour and 20 minutes, it was really fun.

Incarnate chat: what the hell am I doing with the 500 threads I have, it looks like I need shards to craft anything. Got my first alpha slot enhancement crafted and working on the second, but I need more shards.
All the Alpha bits can be made with threads, too, just scroll down where it shows what Shard items you need. Shard stuff is only used for Alpha, so once you've made that you can safely convert them to threads.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Did that rework of Goonbox that someone had in progress ever get finished? I lost the drive with my CoH install and lost my audio tweaks.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Kenlon posted:

Did that rework of Goonbox that someone had in progress ever get finished? I lost the drive with my CoH install and lost my audio tweaks.

No, it's half finished. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
It looks like the Homecoming team has some neat quality of life stuff coming in the Beta:
    * lots of game pad support options
    * SO and DO enhancements available for sale at level 5, and SOs can drop as rewards at level 5 as well.
    * Added an "Upgrade" button to the Enhancements management screen. You can use that button anywhere in order to enhance your store buy-able enhancements (TOs, DOs and SOs) to +3 (maximum level 50) immediately, paying the regular store price. Hamidon, Titan, Hydra and Invention enhancements are not affected.

So playing the low level game for our alts seems like it's going to be easier.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fearless_Decoy posted:

* Added an "Upgrade" button to the Enhancements management screen. You can use that button anywhere in order to enhance your store buy-able enhancements (TOs, DOs and SOs) to +3 (maximum level 50) immediately, paying the regular store price. Hamidon, Titan, Hydra and Invention enhancements are not affected.

I just came

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Yeah. No need to go to the store every 5 levels, plus if your SOs crap out in the middle of a TF, you can upgrade them right there.