Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Thankfully the postal service hasn't collapsed yet where I live, so this was waiting for me when I got back from work.

This thing is probably one of the ugliest armoured cars out there, and that is saying a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love how 40k it looks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tanks usually look sleeker since they get a custom built chassis nearly every time, the usual recipe for an armoured car is to take a truck you already produce and slap some armour around it. The result is rarely pleasant.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Sparq posted:

It's looking good. Can't you fix the small blue paint bleeding just by regular brush? I'm not used to such tidy paintjobs as I usually do dirt-laden crap-covered tanks and mechs.

EDIT: drat it, double posted instead of editing the quotes inside the previous post. Sorry.

Given the nature of the paint I used and the fact that it’s pre thinned for airbrushing the only real option was to mask it off and respray the front. I don’t have photos of it but I’m far happier with the sharpness of the paint line now than I was. I’ve done small areas of overspray with a brush in the past but with white it’s not worth the hassle of brushing and it took 4 thin coats to hide the bits of blue that where on the white.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If you folks want to see some absolutely jaw dropping car builds check out the Nandemo-Seisaku Youtube channel. Hes a hobbyist in Japan and there's no voice overs just soothing music. The amount of extra detail he puts in is insane.
https://youtu.be/QUOQbVysjDs

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Charliegrs posted:

If you folks want to see some absolutely jaw dropping car builds check out the Nandemo-Seisaku Youtube channel. Hes a hobbyist in Japan and there's no voice overs just soothing music. The amount of extra detail he puts in is insane.
https://youtu.be/QUOQbVysjDs

:stare: That body finish.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have the Revell A-7 Corsair I'm doing for the quarantine and there's like this air intake that's 2 pieces, and there's a bad seam line inside the air intake. What can I do to fill and sand this seam line that is in a pretty narrow area that can't really be reached?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

For the sanding maybe cut fine grit sanding paper in strips?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phi230 posted:

I have the Revell A-7 Corsair I'm doing for the quarantine and there's like this air intake that's 2 pieces, and there's a bad seam line inside the air intake. What can I do to fill and sand this seam line that is in a pretty narrow area that can't really be reached?

Got a pic? Might help with suggestions.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gewehr 43 posted:

Got a pic? Might help with suggestions.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Molentik posted:

For the sanding maybe cut fine grit sanding paper in strips?

I've tried, but its too deep to evenly sand/apply pressure.

Also I know this brought up before, but between vallejo, alclad, and AK what is the best? I've heard they each do certain metal colors better but I'm not sure which

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 28, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you have a chopstick or something similar you could maybe glue the sandpaper to it and fit it in there

alclad is the best for metals imo but its also the most expensive and difficult

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you have a chopstick or something similar you could maybe glue the sandpaper to it and fit it in there

alclad is the best for metals imo but its also the most expensive and difficult

So if I'm not comfortable with lacquer yet, between AK and Vallejo what's good

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No needle files handy?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

No needle files handy?

Wouldn't a file be too rough?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I never use sandpaper because I am lazy, but you can get different grit files in the same way you can with it. I'll eat through plastic fast though, so test on sprue and be careful.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I'm not sure I can even parse what's going on in that pic. It looks like the inside is hacked up and melted? Looks like serious damage that might be very hard to fix.

Maybe do a hardstand refueling/rearming model, with an intake cover on the plane. Can look quite cool with coverings and safety-lockout tags hanging off the armaments, with a nice wheeled genny and flight engineer tinkering on the plane.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 28, 2020

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

So if I'm not comfortable with lacquer yet, between AK and Vallejo what's good

I think Vallejo's metal color airbrush line is the only solid metallic acrylic out there. Maybe kcolors but thats much harder to get.

The good line of AK metallics are enamel based.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure I can even parse what's going on in that pic. It looks like the inside is hacked up and melted? Looks like serious damage that might be very hard to fix.

It's just vallejo putty applied over the horrible seam on the inside, still drying lol

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hasegawa F15J kit circa 1988. Decals were tough, had quite a few just disintegrate. The nose portion was completely out of whack in relation to the body, not sure if there was a mold update or what happened but holy poo poo was it a pain. Not happy with how that turned out. Canopies continue to be my nemesis.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Nah, the hosed up fitment sounds about right for the Hasegawa F-15. Mine had a jacked up nose and the wings weren't quite the same size.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Nah, the hosed up fitment sounds about right for the Hasegawa F-15. Mine had a jacked up nose and the wings weren't quite the same size.

It's weird how some of it fit together so well you hardly saw a seam, then another piece was potato like. Oh well, still turned out decent enough.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

1/144 photoetch fun

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I ended up getting sanding strips which are just really thin sanding sticks, some "precision sanding tips" which are like Q-tips but with a grit, and I'm gonna try tapping sandpaper to a stick and I'm gonna test all 3 methods to see which is best for hitting these hard to reach areas

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After last weekends oversray action I carried on with decalling the porsche 956 this weekend. I bought some aftermarket decals made by MSM creations because the set that cam with the kit where rather old and yellow. They're lovely decals apart from the fact that they're so thick that markfit strong won't touch them. I'm gonna upgrade my setting solutions after this to microsol/set as poo poo can't continue the same way. Another difference is this is the first time the body will be done before any other parts of the car so I'll have the body done but I'll get the rest done over the easter holidays. I had to use the kit decals for the red and gold stripe and the aftermarket ones wouldn't conform.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

New lockdown project has arrived.

All the way from Russia despite the plague. Rather impressed with the mail service under the circumstances. Probably has only has a non lethal amount of corona in it.

:getin:

Decal sheet says it was printed in 2010 which is weird as hell since I thought they hadn't made this kit since 1985, so I'm feeling pretty good since that should mean the decals are usable. :hellyeah:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 30, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So my most successful attempt was taping sandpaper to a stick. That did the gaps pretty good.

Overall, on this P-40 kit, I had a very hard time filling the gaps. It looks like poo poo, to be honest. I'm doing something wrong or this kit really does suck rear end. It seems all my attempts to apply thinned Tamiya paste or thinned Vallejo paste just never got the job done on seams, they are not even close to flush, and even applying a bunch of tamiya putty and sanding still doesn't look right or is flush. I'll post pictures later.

I'm base coating it, so I'll be done tomorrow I think. Decals and Weathering are pretty quick in my experience.

Does anyone have any resources specifically on sanding/doing gaps after applying the putty? Or how about resources on how to paint jet engines? I'm doing the Revell A-7A, never painted a jet before but I have all these jet engine effects but not sure how to use them.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 30, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

New lockdown project has arrived.

All the way from Russia despite the plague. Rather impressed with the mail service under the circumstances. Probably has only has a non lethal amount of corona in it.

:getin:

Decal sheet says it was printed in 2010 which is weird as hell since I thought they hadn't made this kit since 1985, so I'm feeling pretty good since that should mean the decals are usable. :hellyeah:

They’re cartograf decals as well so they should lay down nice and flat really.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I need to file down Tamiya putty before priming? I tried it for the first time and was a bit messy with it trying to fix gaps in a 1/72 Hasegawa F-18 which was a real pain in the rear end to work with compared to the usual kits I do.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/Tmk_and_kaede/status/1244192872435310594

Something is amiss, but what?

Bonus hand masking:
https://twitter.com/Tmk_and_kaede/status/1243482802533756929

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Do I need to file down Tamiya putty before priming? I tried it for the first time and was a bit messy with it trying to fix gaps in a 1/72 Hasegawa F-18 which was a real pain in the rear end to work with compared to the usual kits I do.

In my experience if you want a nice even finish then yes you should file it down or sand it before priming. The texture of the putty will show through paint if you don't. I sand it down with something coarse like 500 grit then finish it with something like 3000 grit to get it smooth. However I do car models so I'm looking for the smoothest finish possible. If you're doing military models it might not be as important.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
This virus is hitting people hard in weird ways
Plasmo has gone insane. I’m not spoiling it, just go watch his latest project

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Dr. Phildo posted:

That's insane.

That's a seriously good spray coverage for what it is.

I love the fact that you could just quickly change nozzle size on the fly if you wanted to.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Dr. Phildo posted:

Puddin posted:

That's insane.

That's a seriously good spray coverage for what it is.

I love the fact that you could just quickly change nozzle size on the fly if you wanted to.

He's re upped the crazy with his next video.
He has been doing a stack of diy hobby tools videos between his notmal stuff lately though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:piss:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Was waiting for that second vid. 3 years with a similar setup, no wonder he has patience to do some of the stuff he does.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hitherto unknown levels of crapkit build power.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Phildo posted:

:stare:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Dr. Phildo posted:

Thanks, I hadn't watched any of his videos.

He's bonkers. That's incredible.