Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

it shriveled up posted:

So I've been wanting to check out a hammock, and I figured what better time than with the "free" money I'll be getting soon. I have a tent, but it's big and bulky, and since my wife sadly isn't fond of camping or outdoorsy stuff in general, there's no reason for me to lug that thing out even to just go car camping by myself. I am 6'5" and weigh around 325 or so and I am primarily a side sleeper.

What would be some good budget options I could try out that would be suitable for someone my size? I would also need a tarp and bug net, since I would be using this in Texas and the mosquitoes are horrible.

Side sleeping is easiest in a bridge hammock, like the Warbonnet Ridgerunner that OSU_Matthew just mentioned. Only wrinkle is even the double-layer option has a listed weight capacity of 250 lbs, which Warbonnet points out is not really the tensile limit of what it will support but rather the limit of what most find comfortable. from the Ridgerunner spec page:

Note: The weight ratings listed below are based on comfort, not absolute tensile strength. Users over 250 lbs often find the Ridgerunner too narrow and are more comfortable in the larger XLC or Eldorado.

I've never tried a bridge hammock myself, but a double layer Ridgerunner (with bug net, I'm also in Texas and fuuuuuck mosquitos) can be had for $168 right now after applying that stuck@home coupon.

The trouble with budget options for gathered-end hammocks is they are typically 1) single layer (so, lower weight capacity) and 2) less than 11 feet in length, and with you being 6'5" I would say you will almost certainly require an 11 foot length to be comfortable. I'm 6'2" and even going from 10.5 feet to 11 was a huge difference for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The only one I can think of offhand that might work is Tom Claytor's jungle hammock. Site's down, but I vaguely remember it supporting in the 300+ lb range when I bought mine in 2013. It weighs 4 pounds and change, so it's deffo heavier than some of the lightweight options, and slightly more awkward to set up, but it's pretty bomb proof. It has an integrated mosquito net, is double layer, and can be pitched on the ground so it does have some extra features. The suspension kinda sucks but can be replaced easily enough. Lightspeed straps took some fandangling to install (it's a soft bridge not a bunched end hammock) but worked great.

e. Google has a cache of https://www.mosquitohammock.com from the weekend, so it seems more like a case of 'his domain expired' than 'he died three years ago'. It's a 10 footer and is good for a person up to 7' 5" and 350 pounds. Amazingly the price hasn't seemed to change much and it's only $150 plus international shipping, so pretty cheap way to get started. Grab some of the budget 20 degree quilts from hammockgear and you'll be set for years (or until you get the :shepspends: urge).

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 2, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I did just want to say, if you're in the US be aware of where you're going and what you're doing outdoors. The USFS people I've talked to uniformly said the outdoors is busier now than they've ever seen it, so places you might think of going you probably want to think again unless they're really out there, and try to find places less known. In the west that's not so hard but eastern forests are getting slammed, so if you're trying to disappear like most people, really disappear.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

I did just want to say, if you're in the US be aware of where you're going and what you're doing outdoors. The USFS people I've talked to uniformly said the outdoors is busier now than they've ever seen it, so places you might think of going you probably want to think again unless they're really out there, and try to find places less known. In the west that's not so hard but eastern forests are getting slammed, so if you're trying to disappear like most people, really disappear.

Holy poo poo this. Last two weekends I went hiking at places that are both normally completely empty, and both times the places were packed to capacity. I seriously couldn’t believe it, has me rethinking all my backpacking plans

it shriveled up posted:

So I've been wanting to check out a hammock, and I figured what better time than with the "free" money I'll be getting soon. I have a tent, but it's big and bulky, and since my wife sadly isn't fond of camping or outdoorsy stuff in general, there's no reason for me to lug that thing out even to just go car camping by myself. I am 6'5" and weigh around 325 or so and I am primarily a side sleeper.

Sup fellow Sasquatch! I’m a 6’4” 250 lbs side sleeper, and the blackbird XLC is the best sleep I’ve ever gotten outdoors. Besides being long enough, it has a cool little foot shelf for a flatter lay, a little gear shelf near your head, and build in zippered bugnet. Because it evenly cradles every curve of your body, it’s really comfortable to lay on your back or flip into your side. The cheapie 11’ Hammock I bought my gf is trash, I couldn’t sleep at all in that, which is one reason I bought the ridgerunner so we’ve got a dual setup we can both enjoy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I maintain that if you want to get alone this summer, BLM territory is the place to look. Especially if you're into the southwest, but Idaho and Wyoming have good spaces too.

Obviously there are still popular spots under BLM management but there are vast chunks of land out there that will have no trails and no people.

(and no safety net if something goes wrong, so make sure to pack the inreach)

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
Anyone have a recommendation for an overnight pack? I'm looking for something in the 30 to 40L range for weekend trips.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mothmansplainer posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an overnight pack? I'm looking for something in the 30 to 40L range for weekend trips.

well the standard advice is go to REI/your local shop and try a bunch on, since individual fit is a big deal for pack, but what with the corona and everything being shut i can give a blanket recommendation for osprey. a bit pricier but lifetime guarantee and i really like the support system they use.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It would take a lot for me to stray away from osprey for any new bag at this point. They make great bags.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have 3 osprey bags and I don’t think I’ll buy another brand so add me to the pile of shills.

My secondary budget recommendation is REI brand. They’ve been great to me for the price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife has an osprey and it's a nice comfy bag, but I think it has too many pockets and zippers and hidden features. They aren't the worst offender of feature bloat out there, but they do seem to lean toward overkill. It's not a weight issue for me, it just seems like more stuff to wear out and too much fussing with pockets to find the widget you're after.

If you only want a bag to stuff your crap in and a couple external attach points, look elsewhere.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think Osprey is the default choice, and they make decent packs. I like my Volt 70 for winter backpacking since I can cram lotsa bulky gear in.

After buying a cuben fiber (dyneema) pack though, I don’t think I could ever go back. 200 for an Osprey, 300 for a Zpacks, it’s a no brainer. One, you shave ~3-4 pounds just straight off the top, there’s no other investment of that magnitude with that much impact. Second, I really like the configuration of a big stuff sack with oversized easy to access hipbelt pouches that actually store a lot of stuff. And! The outer pack material is waterproof, more weight savings for a cover or wet gear. For me personally, it carries a lot more comfortably as well.

Packs are very personal, but I do encourage you to look at Dyneema material packs. Mine is a Zpacks Arch Haul, and I’ve had it going on three years now, from carrying 50 pounds in the Grand Canyon to winter and summer throughout the east coast, it’s been a great piece of gear. If you just want to get started and save money I think you’d be happy with an Osprey for sure, but there’s a lot of upward mobility for not a whole lot more imho.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

I have 3 osprey bags and I don’t think I’ll buy another brand so add me to the pile of shills.

My secondary budget recommendation is REI brand. They’ve been great to me for the price.

I'm the weirdo that prefers the Flash 55 over the comparable sized Osprey packs. I've just been very lucky with Goodwill hunting and grabbed a Manta 36 for $40 or so and an Aether Pro for $200.

If OP doesn't want an Osprey, two oddballs I like are the Sierra Design Flex Capacitor and ULAs Camino 2.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seconding the REI branded stuff, I have a Flash 75.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I like my Osprey too. I also have a Patagonia Nine Trails 28l that I'm happy with. It's a really simple pack.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pumped up for school posted:

I'm the weirdo that prefers the Flash 55 over the comparable sized Osprey packs. I've just been very lucky with Goodwill hunting and grabbed a Manta 36 for $40 or so and an Aether Pro for $200.

If OP doesn't want an Osprey, two oddballs I like are the Sierra Design Flex Capacitor and ULAs Camino 2.

Yeah I have a smaller Flash 22 day pack from like 2012 that I have put through the wringer and it’s still totally good as new. The newer updated Flash packs are really nice.

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

Chard posted:

well the standard advice is go to REI/your local shop and try a bunch on, since individual fit is a big deal for pack, but what with the corona and everything being shut i can give a blanket recommendation for osprey. a bit pricier but lifetime guarantee and i really like the support system they use.

Absolutely. I'm not in a rush to pick something up. Everyone I know has put their outdoor plans on hold for awhile anyways.

Rolo posted:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seconding the REI branded stuff, I have a Flash 75.

REI's brand has been good to me. Their pack features seem to get better each revision and generally it's been a budget-friendly way to get gear I've needed. I've been using their 25L day pack for years now. That said I was curious what other brands seem to be good performers. I'll have to give some Osprey packs a look!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

REI does a pretty good job of actually wanting feedback on their products and incorporating that into the next year's model. Smaller production runs compared to the international brands lets them be more responsive.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So the REI coupon/sale is ending tomorrow, and I have a bunch of dividend money from last year’s excessive spend.

Opinions on what size Yeti cooler one might get? It’s usually me and my two (growing) boys…so let’s say I need enough room for four people over three nights. To complicate matters, I also have a Yeti Hopper 30 that we usually use for road trips.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

REI does a pretty good job of actually wanting feedback on their products and incorporating that into the next year's model.

Found that to be the case also, problems I found with previous years with QA or just poor design got fixed

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dangerllama posted:

So the REI coupon/sale is ending tomorrow, and I have a bunch of dividend money from last year’s excessive spend.

Holy crap I have mucho dividollars and Prana pants are on sale! Hot dog!

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Any opinions on the Garmin 66s vs 64x? The 20% off would stack nicely with some saved gift cards. The 66s has phone integration and Bluetooth, which I don't care about. The 66s has a tougher rating but also has some negative reviews and would need me to buy maps. It seems like the 64x makes more sense, but this is a once in a decade purchase and so I don't want to make a poor choice.
I would be using whatever I choose for blm and np offroading/hiking this summer.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

TurdBurgles posted:

Any opinions on the Garmin 66s vs 64x? The 20% off would stack nicely with some saved gift cards. The 66s has phone integration and Bluetooth, which I don't care about. The 66s has a tougher rating but also has some negative reviews and would need me to buy maps. It seems like the 64x makes more sense, but this is a once in a decade purchase and so I don't want to make a poor choice.
I would be using whatever I choose for blm and np offroading/hiking this summer.

Just a heads up if you're talking about the REI member 20% coupon, I don't believe it can be applied to anything with GPS capability.

https://www.rei.com/coupon#terms

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

thatguy posted:

Found that to be the case also, problems I found with previous years with QA or just poor design got fixed

In my expereince, it's not always a sure thing. I can say without a doubt that the current generation (or at least, the one I bought circa 2018) travel sack is inferior in shape and materials to the previous generation one, which I also own.

Said previous generation one was more of a relaxed mummy, the newer one is tighter around the shoulders and not as warm, neither of which I appreciate with my kind of shoulders, nor being used to the previous one's performance.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are my options (if any) for a soft shell rain jacket in the hottest, muggiest conditions?

Last winter I bought my first modernish softshell hooded jacket with a nylon shell, fleece interior. It's amazing; it keeps me dry in anything short of a down pour, it's lightweight but stops wind, it gives me an outer garment I don't have to be careful about getting dirty, and I always have plenty of pockets. I started it wearing it everywhere, every day.

The problem is that I live in the south and now it's starting to get downright hot. So, are there any recommendations I could get for a summer rain jacket with a hood? Even though it’s going to get very hot and muggy here, it’s also going to rain a lot and I know I’m going to miss having a rain jacket.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Softshell and rain-jacket is going to be a bit of a contradiction in terms (yes I know they exist). But if you’re anticipating a lot of rain are you sure you wouldn’t rather get something Gore-Tex (maybe paclite) with pit zips/etc?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm probably mixing up the terms, sorry. What I'm sure of is that this coat I'm wearing right now breathes in a way one of those old yellow rain coats never did, and so it's been comfortable as an every day coat as long as the temperature isn't above the 70's. It's lined with fleece and not really appropriate for the summer.

So, setting aside terms like softshell, which I'm probably mis-using, I'd appreciate any recommendations for a hooded jacket that will keep some rain off while being as light and breathable as possible.

Edit: GIS suggests that what I currently has IS a gore-tex jacket. So that explains things a bit.

Edit2: And now that I have that search term I have my eye on the "Sierra Designs Neah Bay", so I may be good, but if anyone wants to throw out recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Marmot Precip was what I used as a daily windbreaker for years, until the lining started, for lack of a better term, rotting out.

Not actual biological decay, but a flaking off starting from one point and spreading. Was four years old by that point, but I am inclined to try one of their competitors this time around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oo, that Marmot Precip in red is nice, I added it to a wish list for later, thanks.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The term you were looking for is hard-shell.

If it's a hot/muggy environment definitely try to find one that's uninsulated and made out of gore-tex or other membrane fabric. And make sure it's got pit zips and/or the pockets are mesh-lined on the inside so they also act like a vent.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TurdBurgles posted:

I'm on my second 64 series. It has been good to me when I haven't been gentle with it.

Don't pay for maps. Plenty of ways to get maps on a Garmin (kml) but the way I've been getting general topo is via https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all and basecamp. You just want the starred "editors choice" maps.
It isn't the smoothest but less twitchy than loading georeferenced topo sheets. If you want a USGS topo sheet, there's workarounds for these, just load slower.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Marmot Precip was what I used as a daily windbreaker for years, until the lining started, for lack of a better term, rotting out.

Not actual biological decay, but a flaking off starting from one point and spreading. Was four years old by that point, but I am inclined to try one of their competitors this time around.

My last two have suffered this exact same familiar. It seems to be independent of use, just after enough time they get all weird and dandruffy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal for waterproof materials. As they age the thin layer of plastic/rubber they use to make it waterproof delaminates and starts flaking off.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My wife had a Marmot Precip that did the same thing - delaminating/flaking off - after about a year. If it was after a few years sure, but based on how fast it happened I can't recommend that model (even though it seems to be the go-to cheap rain jacket these days).

I got a Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow that is EXCELLENT - fully waterproof, very lightweight, and stretchy. As a bonus it doesn't feel as "clingy" to the skin in hot weather either.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The Precip holds a special place in my heart, but it not very breathable and fits like a garbage bag. I’d definitely look at spending a little more to get something Gore-Tex or comparable.

I do like my Marmot Minimalist jacket.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to spend less in this economy but I absolutely don't want it go be uncomfortable, so I'll look into the Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow and others, thanks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I went back through my emails and found out I misremembered. It was two Marmot Precips. The first one, I lost? misplaced? had stolen? after about three years. The second one started decaying about a year after purchase, and I found that dumb and weird, hence my general aversion to getting another Precip. Could have been a knockoff, though, who knows with Amazon anymore these days.

What is the industry standard name for the PreCip's construction, anyhow? I too, am poking at REI before the sale ends today, want to avoid that this time around.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 6, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Imho skip the rainjacket in hot humid weather. You’re going to get wet from your sweat or wet from the rain. If you’re not doing anything physically active, then just use an umbrella.

I think the idea of waterproof/breathable is greatly overexaggerated, because there’s no differential in humidity for sweat to diffuse when it’s rainy out.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TurdBurgles posted:

I have a 64x I use for work, it's fine. I thought about getting a 66i since we have a bucket of inreaches we use for employees but I read battery life isn't great and the explorers last 3ish days even if you leave them on the whole time

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Imho skip the rainjacket in hot humid weather. You’re going to get wet from your sweat or wet from the rain. If you’re not doing anything physically active, then just use an umbrella.

I think the idea of waterproof/breathable is greatly overexaggerated, because there’s no differential in humidity for sweat to diffuse when it’s rainy out.

I recently got a poncho I'll be taking on summer trips, since NM summer days frequently include a mid-afternoon thunderstorm. I've never used one before but I hope the design will keep me from fully swimming in my own sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Like the gentleperson said up above my master plan was crushed as it excludes GPS. I picked up a goal zero panel and the battery kit instead.
Next year will be GPS year!