Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Is this what it felt like to be on the outside of my broken-can-opener posting?

(For the record, the new EZ DUZ IT opener and the large japanese ganji kankiri opener are working and holding up great.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am familiar with the EZDUZIT but would like to see a pic of this japanese opener you boast of

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Skyarb posted:

Is there any real difference between all the different "series" of microplanes?

This got lost in cheese chat but can someone answer this before I drop way too much money on a bunch of microplanes?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You’re going to appreciate the metal ones when you are in an emergency and have to shred frozen cheese

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 1, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Skyarb posted:

This got lost in cheese chat but can someone answer this before I drop way too much money on a bunch of microplanes?

I'm pretty sure the blades are the same across all of the lines - you'll pay more for models with a metal handle. I had a plastic handle crack on one years and years ago so I mistrust them

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The plastic ones have too much give when grating hard cheeses. Feel like they're gonna snap off.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm feeling the need for a pressure cooker. Are all-in-ones like the Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi any good? The Foodi is particularly attractive since it's an air fryer too, if it works well I could send my current air fryer up to the family cabin and use that at home. But it seems a bit too good to be true. Should I just pony up for a real pressure cooker, and if so how big?

Canning would be nice I suppose, I'd love to do pickles again sometime and I don't have the gear for canning right now. Right now I'm looking at some recipes for roast pork that use the pressure cooker to force marinade into the meat which is an interesting concept. That's the immediate draw for the question but I've been wondering.

Air fryers are loving great for cooking frozen food, doing wings, reheating stuff that you don't want to get soggy, etc. And yeah I guess you could use an oven too but the air fryer is so convenient. Don't know how I lived without it. Only thing I don't like on mine (Gourmia 6qt) is that the bottom "bin" is the food drawer and you can't really put it into a dishwasher very easily.

Agreed with the poster who said to check in the pressure cooker thread but I have the eighty dollar six quart instant pot (I think?) and would highly recommend it. I think the zeal from true believers undercuts the fact that it’s a really handy hands-off device. I’m working from home and decided yesterday that I wanted chickpeas. I finished a phone call, put in a couple cups of dried chickpeas and water and set it to cook for 52 minutes and went back to work. Let them natural release for ten minutes and then could just plan in the evening what I wanted to use them for. Not to mention beans, stock, etc. I’ll let others speak up if the other two extra features are worth it. Doesn’t look like it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
OH neat microplane officially sells it on amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-3...85706878&sr=8-3

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

You’re going to appreciate the metal ones when you are in an emergency and have to shred frozen cheese

:chloe:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend has a nInja Foodi and really likes it. It's bulky as hell though.

Air fryers are of limited usefulness, but they do a good job at a handful of things imo. They make good wings (better than oven roasting, not as good as deep frying, of course), and are at their best heating frozen garbage foods like cheese sticks and french fries. But she likes them for some veggies (like cauliflower and sweet potatoes), and we've also used them for little homemade egg rolls and jalapeno poppers.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

gently caress insurance, and doctor visits

Nice meltdown

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

(They’re going to get melted into macaroni, it’s fine)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

bartlebee posted:

Agreed with the poster who said to check in the pressure cooker thread but I have the eighty dollar six quart instant pot (I think?) and would highly recommend it. I think the zeal from true believers undercuts the fact that it’s a really handy hands-off device. I’m working from home and decided yesterday that I wanted chickpeas. I finished a phone call, put in a couple cups of dried chickpeas and water and set it to cook for 52 minutes and went back to work. Let them natural release for ten minutes and then could just plan in the evening what I wanted to use them for. Not to mention beans, stock, etc. I’ll let others speak up if the other two extra features are worth it. Doesn’t look like it.

Yes, I have the 8q, and for beans, stock, pulled pork it is well worth it. I don't use it as much as I should, but I haven't been disappointed in it, just need to get more recipes to use in it that I know work.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

(They’re going to get melted into macaroni, it’s fine)

I always freeze my Mizithra cheese for Mizithra and brown butter spaghetti. Hard cheeses freeze really well if you plan on microplaning it into a sauce TBH.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Welp I ordered a fine and coarse metal microplane. gently caress you thread. Can't wait to get angry about grating cheese too!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use mine for grating frozen ginger. Works great. As an aside, not peeling ginger is the best thing ever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bartlebee posted:

it’s a really handy hands-off device

yeah i think a lot of people who get electric pressure cookers have never used a manual stovetop one before, but the hands-off part is soooo nice.

you can't just turn your stovetop pressure cooker on and ignore it, nor can you just leave the house with your burner on indefinitely, but with electric ones you can basically set it, neglect it, and not have any worries.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use mine for grating frozen ginger. Works great. As an aside, not peeling ginger is the best thing ever.

I don't find ginger that bad to peel when you use a spoon. I do want a corse micro plane though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cheese pantry for long term storage of cheeses that will get melted or shredded:

Surprise! Second cheese pantry for eating cheeses:

Always double cheese pantry

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where can I learn about cheese storage? We had to toss some great stuff last month (Stilton, etc) because I ordered a giant gift set and we couldn’t get through it all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In general I just buy enough cheese that I’m able to eat in 1-2 weeks

I will make exceptions if the cheese has a “best by” date that’s longer than 2 weeks

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Goons With Spoons › The Something Offal kitchen cheese equipment thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

In general I just buy enough cheese that I’m able to eat in 1-2 weeks

You’re going to eat all that cheese in two weeks? We are in the presence of greatness.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SpannerX posted:

I don't find ginger that bad to peel when you use a spoon. I do want a corse micro plane though.
You really don't need to bother peeling ginger even if you're not using a microplane. I mean you can, but it really doesn't make a difference unless you're doing some advanced modernist poo poo and need an ultra-pure ginger sample or something like that. Using minced or sliced ginger in stir fry or something? Don't need to peel.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What I mean is I've tried cheesecloth (which doesn't seem to do much), cellophane, etc. Other than vacuum sealing and freezing (and does that only really work with hard cheeses?) is there anything that will extend the life of my cheese? I like buying in bulk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the zojirushi to get if I'm good with a small one?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

You’re going to eat all that cheese in two weeks? We are in the presence of greatness.

Nah these were in a party pack that said it was good through May.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

wait does ginger grate easier when it's frozen? i've never heard of this but it sounds like a great idea

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

wait does ginger grate easier when it's frozen? i've never heard of this but it sounds like a great idea

Yeah a microplane will chew through it and make it fine enough it just gets lost in your sauce or whatever. Plus freezing ginger is a great way to keep it around as the flavor stays intact just fine. If you thaw the frozen ginger it will be really soft, but I always microplane or use a mandoline and a super thin setting while still frozen.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

rice cooker?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah a microplane will chew through it and make it fine enough it just gets lost in your sauce or whatever. Plus freezing ginger is a great way to keep it around as the flavor stays intact just fine. If you thaw the frozen ginger it will be really soft, but I always microplane or use a mandoline and a super thin setting while still frozen.
Keep in mind that if you prep your ginger this way you usually have to use less, or using the same amount you'll get more ginger flavour.

Ginger passed through a fine microplane is about one step removed from ginger purée.

Depends on whether you want induction, fuzzy logic, and so on. I got one with all the bells and whistles several years ago and I've been perfectly happy with it, but I make rice several times a week and often put it on way the gently caress early and let the keep warm function do most of the work. So I feel like I definitely get my money's worth out of the extra features. If you don't make rice as often, or don't plan on relying on the Zoji's impeccable keep warm behaviour you might be able to get away with one of the less expensive options.

Edit: checking my amazon purchase history, where I said several years ago I should've said over a decade ago. The model I have isn't made anymore, but it's one of the fuzzy logic, induction cookers.

SubG fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 1, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i'm def gonna start doing this, i end up wasting too much ginger when i leave it out

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kittenmittons posted:

You have literally said nothing while trying to say everything. Please shut the gently caress up.

You're already on a day from Gigi, but this is your notice. Settle the gently caress down.

I get it, it's a stressful as hell time right now, but don't go aggro on other posters to vent. We're all a little on edge.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

If you had a microplane you could be on a lot of little edges.

And eventually, your knuckles will be anyway. Microplanes own, but they are second only to mandolines in terms of bloodthirsty kitchen tools.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
And how. I use them for zesting citrus, and the wonder of microplaning your knuckles and immediately grinding lemon oil into them has to be experienced to be known. :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Salty cheese is also a pretty fun experience

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Keep in mind that if you prep your ginger this way you usually have to use less, or using the same amount you'll get more ginger flavour.

Ginger passed through a fine microplane is about one step removed from ginger purée.

Depends on whether you want induction, fuzzy logic, and so on. I got one with all the bells and whistles several years ago and I've been perfectly happy with it, but I make rice several times a week and often put it on way the gently caress early and let the keep warm function do most of the work. So I feel like I definitely get my money's worth out of the extra features. If you don't make rice as often, or don't plan on relying on the Zoji's impeccable keep warm behaviour you might be able to get away with one of the less expensive options.

Edit: checking my amazon purchase history, where I said several years ago I should've said over a decade ago. The model I have isn't made anymore, but it's one of the fuzzy logic, induction cookers.

Does this one look like it's the right kind? I ordered so I hope so. Just want to make sure I didn't get the wrong thing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IR8H2ZI/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does this one look like it's the right kind? I ordered so I hope so. Just want to make sure I didn't get the wrong thing.

Yeah, you’ll be fine. Basically any Zoji besides the “conventional” one switch rice cooker is more than enough.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, assuming that the 3 cup limit is good enough for your needs. Mine's a 5 cup and a much older model, but it's got the same bells and whistles.

And as .Z. says I wouldn't exactly be sweating bullets over getting any Zojirushi rice cooker, I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about a specific model that's a lemon or anything like that. And I think all of their models except the cheapest entry-level ones have the fuzzy logic/keep warm microcontrollers. So (afaik) the only decision you're making when you're looking at the more expensive models (not counting size, and not counting their multipurpose cookers) is whether or not you're going to get induction. And even independent of the induction part itself, the induction models get a couple of other features that I like from a maintenance standpoint, like a removable power cord.

I assume you don't need any advice in about using it in general--the thing's pretty much the definition of a fire and forget kitchen appliance--and I assume you don't need to be told to keep metal utensils away from the nonstick cooking vessel. The thing I'd throw out there is that you can remove the inner lid (it's a metal circle with a rubber gasket that sits on top of the cooking vessel when the cooker is closed), which lets you dry out any condensation that gets trapped above it (between the inner and outer lid). Also, you'll notice that the steam vent is in a large plastic doohicky that's inset into the top of the lid. That pops out (it's just friction fit into a rubber o-ring thing). It's a clamshell-type thing that snaps open and closed and the inside absolutely fuckin' loves to accumulate condensation during cooking.

Reason I mention it is that depending on your climate you might want to open it up to dry things out (it literally takes seconds). And you wouldn't know about this poo poo unless you read the manual and who the gently caress reads the manual for a rice cooker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Appreciate it. Yeah, I find myself cooking 1 1/2 (American) cups of rice probably 4 or 5 nights a week. So this is plenty of capacity, and its also a small enough footprint that I'm willing to dedicate permanent counter space to it. I was on the fence about induction but I tend to have buyer's remorse if I don't overspend on something so I went with that. And I'll use the hell out of this.