Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Lock them in a room with a copy of all the man pages.

Ok maybe not exactly that, but some combination of showing them how to look stuff up in the manual (NOT stackoverflow) and making it clear that it's ok to take 20 minutes to filter and sort the output of a command when that time is spent poring over man pages to figure out how to do it?

Won't work for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

explainshell is a very useful tool for a beginner Unix user.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
https://tldr.sh/ might also help, it gives common examples for a bunch of tools.

Maybe show them "apropos" too? I can't think of a time I've discovered a tool with it, but it has helped me remember some of the obscure ones.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Julia Evans’ zines should do it. They’re small and cute and perfect.

https://wizardzines.com/zines/bite-size-command-line/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm firmly in the camp of doing > reading, YMMV;

Booting a raspberry pi to the command line, getting it on the local wifi, installing a basic LAMP stack from scratch over ssh is a great primer for this kind of thing. A junior ought to be able to struggle bus through this in a day or two. Check their history file when done to make sure they didn't just chnod 777 everything, or install it as root.

You need to know how to use vim to get wifi working, then package manager to install LAMP, plus figure out permissions and firewall.

Replace LAMP with your primary stack as needed

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Thanks, folks, a lot of these look like good starting places.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I learned it by reading "The UNIX programming environment". The first half is all shell stuff, they can probably ignore the C stuff.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm job hunting but I'm pretty sure coronavirus is gonna just disastrously ruin that entire process. In person interviews? Well half the city is gonna be quarantined soon and the economy is circling the toilet.

:sigh:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
We've stopped doing all in person interviews and while we *can* do them all remotely, it's definitely not going to be ideal :(

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ya, my company has pretty much paused any interviewing and hiring, and has been pushing back start dates for anyone already lined up. We've all been working remote for a week now, with no end in sight.

poo poo's gonna get worse before it gets better.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Guinness posted:

I mean, all of these measures are doing out of fear reaction what the national government should be doing out of caution. It's creating a national quarantine rather than a local one where outbreaks have been occurring, but on the whole, it should slow the spread of coronavirus substantially enough that at least our tech workers won't be passing it around.

Can't say the same for our service industry workers...

Without this fear knee-jerk, if the disease does get a foothold in the US, our hospital systems will quickly be overwhelmed.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

kayakyakr posted:

if the disease does get a foothold in the US, our hospital systems will quickly be overwhelmed.

Uh, what's with this 'if' stuff?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Munkeymon posted:

Uh, what's with this 'if' stuff?

I'll call it once the numbers of confirmed or presumed in NYC or Seattle climb over 1,000. That's where it seems to be moving about in the wild.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that like friday lol

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I guess that one place with an amazing stack who were only waiting for the big contract to do round 2 interviews is a goner with all of Denmark in quarantine :( I really wanted that job too...

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 11, 2020

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

kayakyakr posted:

I'll call it once the numbers of confirmed or presumed in NYC or Seattle climb over 1,000. That's where it seems to be moving about in the wild.

https://twitter.com/SweeneyABC/status/1237018677360410624

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm trying to provide some sort of reality check here. "gently caress it, go to a place I don't know, on a timer, and hope to get a job on a kind of tight timeline because I hate where I am" is an E/N post about immigration authorities waiting to happen. It's country to country, sure, but at least in some places, you can't even *get a bank account* without being at least a semi-permanent resident. Without that, you may not be able to *get an apartment*.

"I haven't even settled on a country" suggests not having researched in-depth the exact immigration requirements and procedural stuff involved in such a *major life decision*.

Cheers? gently caress. Yes. Emigrating is goddamn awesome. But be responsible about it, holy poo poo.

He's not planning on making any move for 12 months you loving dork. You're making up an imaginary poster with an imaginary plan just so you can poo poo all over it. He's currently doing his research on various countries to try to make a decision - this is all pretty normal for someone in the early stages of planning a move to a different country in a years time. You seem to think he's planning on stepping aboard a plane tomorrow or something.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
After dealing with micromanaging some poorly set up Windows VMs for the last 6 months, I finally up and told my employer that I was looking for other jobs because this isn't what I signed on for. They've responded by asking me to identify all the poo poo that I don't want to deal with and suggest to them a company that we could outsource it to. They're also going to fast track approval of a new project that I can run so I'll be working on new poo poo instead of an ancient monolithic piece of legacy poo poo.

At the moment I'm thinking really it's just the old school server admin poo poo that I really don't want to deal with (and am absolutely no good at anyway). Does anyone here know of any companies that can be contracted to look after this kind of thing in Melbourne Australia? Basically it would be patching them, looking into any connectivity issues, etc.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 12, 2020

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Guinness posted:

Ya, my company has pretty much paused any interviewing and hiring, and has been pushing back start dates for anyone already lined up. We've all been working remote for a week now, with no end in sight.

We're still going full-blast on interviewing and hiring for some reason, despite majority WFH mandates and difficulty obtaining laptops. Sure let's introduce more barriers to getting regulation-driven requirements with hard deadlines out the door, what could go wrong?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

They've responded by asking me to identify all the poo poo that I don't want to deal with and suggest to them a company that we could outsource it to.

Congrats. Jesus, how do I get my company to do this with the "modern" pile of poo poo legacy-replacement they've thrust in my team's lap to maintain.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Sounds like some companies need to be familiarized with the idea that technical debt doesn't just cost extra effort - it costs you good developers who don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Paolomania posted:

Sounds like some companies need to be familiarized with the idea that technical debt doesn't just cost extra effort - it costs you good developers who don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Holy gently caress yes!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Paolomania posted:

Our business unit is badically still on waterfall and wants 6mos of sprint planning :waycool:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Smugworth posted:

Our business unit is badically still on waterfall and wants 6mos of sprint planning :waycool:

We're just moving to sprints instead of a kanban treadmill and that was one of the first... corrections we needed to give out. Yes sprints can give us a more accurate representation of our velocity. No that doesn't mean we're going to plan out 4+ sprints in advance. We'll be lucky to get 2 sprints out.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Paolomania posted:

I had absolutely no idea they would come to this realisation so I'm super stoked because I love the rest of the job dearly.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I come to you, goons, for guidance. Maybe someones been in my position before, who knows!

Most of my background is being a DBA, but also having built a lot of SSRS/Tableau/ad-hoc reports over the years. Most of our in-house apps have moved, or been replaced by, cloud hosted vendors. As less DBA maintenance work is required I have been able to pick up more interesting reporting/analysis stuff.

I'm currently interviewing between two positions and kind of at a fork in the road for future growth/career choice.

Senior DBA
  • low 6figgies
  • most likely on-call
  • federal job via contracts - something about a yearly contract that auto-renews every year up to 5 years, then you re-interview for your position? it's a govt job so :iiam:
  • more technical role, less breadth
  • doing the same old stuff

Data Analyst (governance team)
  • much lower salary
  • not being on-call is :discourse:
  • less technical role, more breadth/newer stuff
  • work with cloud stuff - AWS (Athena, Glue), Salesforce.com
  • new position, so no pre-defined career trajectory/path/promotion structure
  • supposedly they like to promote from within, so potential to move into BI/DS/ML over time?

Every new job posting I see these days are for full stack devs, so maybe I just need to dehumanize myself and face to CRUD lyfe.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I just got my first rejection from Amazon for an FEE role, based on a 1-hour interview with somebody who had a crackly mic the whole time and knew nothing about the team I was theoretically applying for. Feels like a milestone in my career by itself, really.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

kloa posted:

I come to you, goons, for guidance. Maybe someones been in my position before, who knows!

Most of my background is being a DBA, but also having built a lot of SSRS/Tableau/ad-hoc reports over the years. Most of our in-house apps have moved, or been replaced by, cloud hosted vendors. As less DBA maintenance work is required I have been able to pick up more interesting reporting/analysis stuff.

I'm currently interviewing between two positions and kind of at a fork in the road for future growth/career choice.

Senior DBA
  • low 6figgies
  • most likely on-call
  • federal job via contracts - something about a yearly contract that auto-renews every year up to 5 years, then you re-interview for your position? it's a govt job so :iiam:
  • more technical role, less breadth
  • doing the same old stuff

Data Analyst (governance team)
  • much lower salary
  • not being on-call is :discourse:
  • less technical role, more breadth/newer stuff
  • work with cloud stuff - AWS (Athena, Glue), Salesforce.com
  • new position, so no pre-defined career trajectory/path/promotion structure
  • supposedly they like to promote from within, so potential to move into BI/DS/ML over time?

Every new job posting I see these days are for full stack devs, so maybe I just need to dehumanize myself and face to CRUD lyfe.

Can you give the difference between the two salaries?

This is a classic issue and it's hard to offer advice because so much of the answer will be about "what is right for YOU". Right now in my career for example, I recently decided to stop pursuing a job that I was likely to be employed for even though it's a good 20k increase on what I currently get, because I knew I'd be unhappy there. For me job satisfaction comes from exploring new stuff and learning new tech.

So I guess my best advice is work out what you draw job satisfaction from and balance that against the salary difference. Peace of mind and a healthy and positive mental state from a satisfying job is invaluable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Two months ago I started a new job and it's been loving great. I'm learning a lot, using new tech, boss is a great dude, working fewer hours and making way way more cash. I was really reluctant/afraid to leave my old stagnant job but I was so happy I did after being here for such a short amount of time.

Woke up this morning to an email from the CTO saying my boss was let go "as a result of challenges within the business, intensified by the Corona mess"... So I don't know if that's just a way of saying that the company is trying to save money, or what? :shrug:

The IT department is basically me, another programmer, my boss who was senior architect, CTO, and then a few hardware/system admin types. They also let go of the only QA person like 2 weeks after I was hired. I strongly feel like I should be shaping up my resume right now, unsure whose next on the chopping block. But who the hell is hiring with all this Coronavirus nonsense right now? Perhaps I should be looking for full-time remote jobs?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sab669 posted:

Two months ago I started a new job and it's been loving great. I'm learning a lot, using new tech, boss is a great dude, working fewer hours and making way way more cash. I was really reluctant/afraid to leave my old stagnant job but I was so happy I did after being here for such a short amount of time.

Woke up this morning to an email from the CTO saying my boss was let go "as a result of challenges within the business, intensified by the Corona mess"... So I don't know if that's just a way of saying that the company is trying to save money, or what? :shrug:

The IT department is basically me, another programmer, my boss who was senior architect, CTO, and then a few hardware/system admin types. They also let go of the only QA person like 2 weeks after I was hired. I strongly feel like I should be shaping up my resume right now, unsure whose next on the chopping block. But who the hell is hiring with all this Coronavirus nonsense right now? Perhaps I should be looking for full-time remote jobs?

Interview loops are being done remote. Some companies are cutting hiring, others aren't. In some cases I think it's related to trying to make the next two quarters balance sheets less dire.

Always have your resume prepared and a few feelers out. Worst case you're always prepared for interviews if you need to job search. Best case you're in a better negotiating position in an upward path.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Can you give the difference between the two salaries?

This is a classic issue and it's hard to offer advice because so much of the answer will be about "what is right for YOU". Right now in my career for example, I recently decided to stop pursuing a job that I was likely to be employed for even though it's a good 20k increase on what I currently get, because I knew I'd be unhappy there. For me job satisfaction comes from exploring new stuff and learning new tech.

So I guess my best advice is work out what you draw job satisfaction from and balance that against the salary difference. Peace of mind and a healthy and positive mental state from a satisfying job is invaluable.

The senior role was listed as 100-110k.

I had a third round of calls yesterday and the HR person on the phone said there’s a 30k band on this position, which potentially changes things. He was kind of surprised, as was I, because I got an initial range from the manager of the team - he said he’s looking to get someone for 65-70k. Understandable that he’s trying to get the best candidate for the lowest salary, but I’m thinking I can get a bit closer to the other job and there not be such a difference. Although, they sound like the more interesting place to be, so I’d hate to lose an offer just because I ask for 80k and they go with a different candidate.

Interviewing sucks :whitewater:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

kloa posted:

The senior role was listed as 100-110k.

I had a third round of calls yesterday and the HR person on the phone said there’s a 30k band on this position, which potentially changes things. He was kind of surprised, as was I, because I got an initial range from the manager of the team - he said he’s looking to get someone for 65-70k. Understandable that he’s trying to get the best candidate for the lowest salary, but I’m thinking I can get a bit closer to the other job and there not be such a difference. Although, they sound like the more interesting place to be, so I’d hate to lose an offer just because I ask for 80k and they go with a different candidate.

Interviewing sucks :whitewater:

If they nuke you for asking for 10% you dodged a bullet.

I'd probably go with the 110k one. That was a meaningful difference when I got to that point.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

leper khan posted:

If they nuke you for asking for 10% you dodged a bullet.
Fun tip: if recruiting does this to you and you directly contact the the hiring manager to let them know, you can usually start a whirlwind of drama at the company

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there an alternative terminology for master/slave networks?

I've been writing the code to support a network of PCs and the commit messages have been making me feel like a plantation overseer.
Added support for Masters
Added placeholder for Slaves
Masters now send commands to slaves
Slaves listen to commands from Master
Bug Fix: Slaves now do what Master tells them to

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Primary-secondary
Leader-follower
Active-standby
Primary-replica
Writer-reader
Coordinator-worker
Parent-helper

And for blacklist-whitelist:

Blocklist-allowlist
Block-permit

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

pokeyman posted:

Primary-secondary
Leader-follower
Active-standby
Primary-replica
Writer-reader
Coordinator-worker
Parent-helper

And for blacklist-whitelist:

Blocklist-allowlist
Block-permit

Thank you!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Controller/Coodindator/Manager and Worker is more officey and less social dominance.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Paolomania posted:

Controller/Coodindator/Manager and Worker is more officey and less social dominance.

Is it though?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Less imperial, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any tips or guides on negotiating? When (if) this pandemic is over, I’m gonna start interviewing again, and I wanna make sure I don’t get stiffed on compensation. 5 years experience is enough to start demanding the high end for salaries.