Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But aren't they going to be £20 per month better than pre-crisis? Riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

Don't forget the 1.7%, still below inflation, rise coming thanks to the end of the benefits freeze!

e: 8 is one fat lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I think we're underestimating what we need to do with testing and what the consequences are going to be. To control coronavirus we need everyone tested repeatedly to stop aymptomatic people causing outbreaks, until we reach herd immunity.

Right now we're begging, borrowing and stealing supplies and labs and reagents to get up to the hundreds of thousands of tests we need to do each day. You can write off that capacity for the foreseeable future, and write off every diagnosis those labs and testing machines used to support too.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Crankit posted:

I'm not 100% sure I follow, unless it's a joke where you're taking blood as a drug?

what it really boils down to, is I want to know if the O+ guys get invited to the special donations too or if that's only for O- people?

Anyone with a positive blood type can receive O+ blood, although its also the most common blood type iirc so I don't think it's usually as In Demand for donations? O- is uncommon and also more in demand because it can be received by anyone regardless of blood type.

I don't even know what blood type I am though being A Gayer means I'm literally not allowed to donate last I checked so I suppose it doesn't matter, lol

bionic vapour boy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 1, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
jfc laura
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1245417595295105028

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Isomermaid posted:

Don't take this as a claim to precarity, cos I know a lot of people have it harder and we'll do OK eventually I guess but I have to vent. Took a mortgage holiday and they've taken the bastard payment anyway. There goes a huge chunk of the budget, right there. So we're scrambling round to work out how to cover things and hoping they fix their fuckup.

Apply to the Solidarity Fund. If you get the payment holiday in the end you can always donate back what you claimed!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Endjinneer posted:

Right now we're begging, borrowing and stealing supplies and labs and reagents to get up to the hundreds of thousands of tests we need to do each day. You can write off that capacity for the foreseeable future, and write off every diagnosis those labs and testing machines used to support too.

But the government told me 3.5 million tests available over the internet a week ago, and companies who can make tests took orders from other countries after receiving none from our lot. Who to believe

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But aren't they going to be £20 per month better than pre-crisis? Riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

Can't wait to find out once my missus fills in her bit, as even though she's employed she gets to fill in a UC claim just for living with me! Pretty sure I'm gonna get next to gently caress all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Yeah no offence mate but these electricity posts of your are hilarious, if normos try to do any of this poo poo they'll kill themselves and set the house on fire. As a normo, lemme ask you just two questions to illustrate what I mean:

1) Wtf is a breaker?
2) Where is it? (Hint: the building I live in was built in "approximately 1880" and is in England)

Answering 2 first - somewhere in your house (or possibly, but not probably, on an outside wall) will be a metal or plastic box containing your house's fuses/circuit breakers. You really should know where this is, it's pretty important. Normally it'll be somewhere near the front door, but it might be in a cupboard under the stairs or something. There will be multiple breakers (see below for an explanation), one for each mains circuit in your house (normally at least three - one for the plugs, one for the lights, and a master - but there could be absolutely loads depending on how anal the sparks who put it in was).

A circuit breaker is a device that detects electrical faults and cuts off the electric.

The simplest form is a fuse - a thin bit of wire that will overheat and fail if too much current passes through it (say if you've touched a live wire and it's currently (hah) earthing through your body). Ones on a main panel will normally be a black bakelite oblong with a colour-coded dot to tell you its rating (expressed in amps, see below), like this:

You can physically pull the oblong out to electrically isolate that circuit if you need to work it. If you blow it you have to pull it out, remove the broken bit of wire and put a new bit of wire in of the right gauge. Why this is dumb is people *will* put much thicker wire in to stop it blowing, and then kill themselves/set their house on fire.

More modern panels will have proper circuit breakers which are little grey or white things that look like this:

They work more quickly and much more safely than conventional fuses - when too much current is detected the little switch flicks up. When you fix the fault, flick it back down.

There should also be at least one Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, which look like a circuit breaker but are normally a different colour, and will have a little "test" button on it. This detects voltage on the Ground circuit and cuts all the power if any is found, for example if you wire a plug up wrong (which would potentially leave live voltage running through the case of the appliance).

There will also be an isolator, a big gently caress-off red switch to cut all the power, and possibly a supply breaker which looks like a circuit breaker without a switch and possibly with a tamperproof seal on it which belongs to the electric company and exists to stop you being really loving stupid and bypassing all the other breakers - if that blows you have to call them out (on a fuse box this will be a fuse with a wax seal that will melt if it blows).

Fuses or breakers are rated in amps (A), the amount of current they will let pass without blowing. Normally light circuits will be 5A, ring mains 15 or 20A, and electric oven circuits (and sometimes garage/outbuilding) 20 or 30A. It is incredibly important to make sure you replace like for like if you ever have to.

A very good and sensible thing to do once you find the box is to make sure it's labelled correctly because this will make your life a million times easier and sparkies *never* loving do it when they're putting them in. Flick the switch and see what turns off, write that on the label above. If one doesn't seem to do something it's probably for something like a 30A electric cooker circuit that you're not using, or if you have a basement it could be for a sump pump or something similar so don't leave it turned off. While you're in there you may as well hit the test button on the GFCI for the sheer satisfaction of the CHUNK noise it makes, ditto the isolators (and to realise just how many electrical things in your house are turned on without you noticing). If it doesn't make a chunk noise (or something stays turned on) call your landlord/electrician/priest immediately because something's hosed up.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 1, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:yeshaha:
https://twitter.com/CloudNaii/status/1245191483805728768?s=20

Cool how the pandemic has hit nearly every part of the economy, but the bit where landlords get paid is perfect and incorruptible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I didn't even realise fuse boxes were still legal, I thought over the last several decades everyone changed to breakers? I'm in an 1882 tenement in Scotland and it had breakers installed at least 20 years ago, judging by the inspection dates written on it from when this was a student flat.

Certainly you never hear people talk about fuse boxes like they did in my childhood.

Electricians will refuse to do work on anything with a consumer unit that's out of date (not least because they're liable if they *do* install something and the house then burns down) - I only had the fuse box in my house replaced in 2015 when they were redoing my bathroom and the poor bloke trying to wire up the new shower actually had to call his boss to work out what he was looking at.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reply all is praxis, it seems.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I've only ever heard americans call them GFCI, its RCD for me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol cool

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1245425321068953608?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

I've only ever heard americans call them GFCI, its RCD for me

I learned all my electrickery off Google.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it really a breaker box if it's not covered in mysterious labels that might be abbreviations, might be be listing the progeny of Abraham, and at least three of which refer to elements of the building that, to your knowledge, don't exist and never have?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Going to finally put my vote in this evening, is there any reason not to vote for Rosena Allin-Khan for deputy? It's between her and Dawn Butler, as long as Burgon doesn't gain more prominence in the party then something good will have come out of this process, the man can barely string two words together.

I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the whole thing as from all corners the campaigns have been pretty uninspiring (and in many cases just poo poo campaigns). Want to vote for Long-Bailey but boy has she run a bad campaign (though obviously nowhere near as bad as Nandy). Starmer is of course about as inspiring as a cinderblock and I'm totally unconvinced he has any idea at all about economics of any kind, which basically means if he's leader the party's ideological foundation is up for grabs.. wait I guess it had better be Long-Bailey.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Burgon is the best pick?? Though sure Butler is a good choice too.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

when I was serving my apprenticeship the old guys would show me all kinds of weird and wonderful poo poo borne of old electrical regs. Like when bonding was in vogue before the advent of RCDs you'd see it loving everywhere. Like old manor houses with brass carpet rods on the stairs with little earth tails on them. Not connected to or even near anything live, just overzealous regs. 14th or 15th I think.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, now would be a pretty good time to stock up on seeds if you're the sort of millionaire that has somewhere to plant them. The EU is going through similar issues, so we're probably going to be a bit hosed for fresh fruit and vegetables in a month or so.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Those GFCI's also happen to work and shut down the power if you touch a live wire harness switch in a photocopier you've left plugged in which the manual didn't tell you was live

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
poo poo i love asparagus

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

A lot of them are just speculating about what's going to happen when sports exists again I think.

Rumours are that Bob Footballs will transfer to Dynamo Scunthorpe if we don't all die, manager's fury at interpretation of line in contract while no sports happens, etc.

I'm disappointed. It's a virus you can get from eating rear end and Prince Charles and Boris Johnson has it and they can't do anything with that low hanging fruit.

Probably my own biases here but electrics is fairly straightforward as long as you turn everything off at the breaker before starting and know what breaker controls what.

Technically everything has to be signed off by an electrician now but if you're just e.g. replacing a socket and not replacing the house wiring then nobody cares.

Plumbing is something I wouldn't do myself beyond like changing a sink trap or toilet siphon, because water gets everywhere and ruins everything.

Gas, no.

Yeah electrics is pretty straight forward and much like you I wont touch plumbing because unlike electrics, doing something wrong with pipes might not be immediately obvious until your ceiling falls in 10 years later.

But I like electrics, its logical and really easy to do with only a fairly basic understanding for most things. A bit trickier when changing all your sockets downstairs mind, but as long as you get someone to check it over after its fine.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

bionic vapour boy posted:

Anyone with a positive blood type can receive O+ blood, although its also the most common blood type iirc so I don't think it's usually as In Demand for donations? O- is uncommon and also more in demand because it can be received by anyone regardless of blood type.

I don't even know what blood type I am though being A Gayer means I'm literally not allowed to donate last I checked so I suppose it doesn't matter, lol

Technically it only matters if you're having sex frequently enough, it certainly used to be banned forever though. O- is the one where they put you in a stupid named group where you can just bulldoze in and get appointments whenever, because it's rare and universally useful.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah electrics is pretty straight forward and much like you I wont touch plumbing because unlike electrics, doing something wrong with pipes might not be immediately obvious until your ceiling falls in 10 years later. .

Use more Denso Tape.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Moonwolf posted:

Technically it only matters if you're having sex frequently enough, it certainly used to be banned forever though. O- is the one where they put you in a stupid named group where you can just bulldoze in and get appointments whenever, because it's rare and universally useful.

“frequently enough” is one way to put it
the rule’s 3 whole months

the lockdown will be relaxed before us gays become eligible to donate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All this is true, but there's an important aside that you should never rely on a fuse or mechanical circuit breaker to save your life. They're dumb and a 13A fuse does not care whether it's putting 10A through your kettle or a much smaller amount through your heart that's still way more than enough to give you a bad time.

Anything you might touch should have either an earthed metal case, that way if something live touches the case you've got a dead short which will draw a few 10s of amps for a very short time, blowing the fuse, or it should have a double insulated case.

And if you're using it outside or in the bathroom, it should also have its own RCD.

Also once you've labelled all your breakers, if you need to change a socket or something always plug in a desk lamp, switch it on, and turn off the breaker that you think turns that socket off, you may be surprised (but it's a better surprise than the other kind).

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah electrics is pretty straight forward and much like you I wont touch plumbing because unlike electrics, doing something wrong with pipes might not be immediately obvious until your ceiling falls in 10 years later.

But I like electrics, its logical and really easy to do with only a fairly basic understanding for most things. A bit trickier when changing all your sockets downstairs mind, but as long as you get someone to check it over after its fine.
With our weird and wonderful (poo poo) ring main system you could end up with a situation where everything looks fine but then your walls catch fire. But that's all the more reason to get all your sockets off and seriously check that both sides of the ring are making full contact with the terminal inside the socket. When I first moved in here I did that and the socket right near the consumer unit had only one neutral connected, so the return path for the entire house was through one half of the ring.

Crankit posted:

What is the difference between the o negative and o positive blood?
You can annoy biochemists by calling it 'Rhesus Factor'.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The most useful blood types are O- and AB+ due to their wide compatibility. Blood's composed of components with opposing functions and either extreme of the scale is very useful.

But since O+ is compatible with any Rh+ and Rh+ is more common than Rh-, O+ is still very valuable.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well there are a bunch of people out of work now we just need to get them to the farms. Lets bus them i... oh.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

So they're offering higher wages to attract workers, right? Right?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Tarnop posted:

So they're offering higher wages to attract workers, right? Right?

Why? They'll just draw them from the NHS volunteer pool.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Soylent Yellow posted:

Why? They'll just draw them from the NHS volunteer pool.

:negative:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd legit go and pick some strawbs at the farm near my house (apparently 400 quid a week if you're decent at it) but my boss says we're not allowed under our furlough conditions.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/dwppressoffice/status/1245251292538208257

The Sun and the DWP: together at last

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

the return path for the entire house was through one half of the ring.

your whole house is on one ring?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol my partner just told me her hospital has capacity to perform 5 tests a day.....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

your whole house is on one ring?
Other than the lighting, oven, and boiler, yup.

It's only a two up two down, although personally I'd prefer it if the kitchen sockets had their own ring, but that's right at the other end to the consumer unit.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

kecske posted:

Use more Denso Tape.

It is easily washable from hands so dont use gloves when working with this stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I'd legit go and pick some strawbs at the farm near my house (apparently 400 quid a week if you're decent at it) but my boss says we're not allowed under our furlough conditions.

So some bosses want to make sure people are busy when working from home because they can't abide paying people not to work, but your boss apparently can't abide the idea that you might be working while they're paying you.

Y'ever think maybe bosses are just control freaks?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

communism bitch posted:

I have a very important question.

It's clear to everybody that Pot Noodle have been defrauding us all for years with regular sized sauce sachets in king sized pots. But clearly they're not going to change course and redress this injustice right now, so my question is: what happens if you squirt some regular tomato sauce into a beef and tomato pot noodle along with their special sachet of sauce?Does it work? Or do they have a special formula of sauce to be mixed in hot water?

Asking for a friend.

When I get down to pot noodle levels of survival I love to put sriracha in the top to make it not taste like pot noodle. tomato puree could work i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

Other than the lighting, oven, and boiler, yup.

It's only a two up two down, although personally I'd prefer it if the kitchen sockets had their own ring, but that's right at the other end to the consumer unit.

My old boss would have me measuring the floor space. 101m2? New rfc for you! What a pedant.