Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
There are rules to build a gang with more than the regular starting credits, including experience to build a "seasoned" gang, even without that though there is a lot more customisation in necromunda and its more of a fun game than a super serious tournament ready game like killteam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It's much better as a campaign as the gear and builds your guys end up with has elements of randomization and scarcity, so you end up with a lot of fun things that don't happen in one-offs.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That said, you and your friend can do a sort of psuedo campaign, where you level up after each skirmish you have if you like, similar to KT.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
They finally showed the models for Scions of the Flame in Warcry. REALLY dig the models
Looks like I gotta finally grab some new models

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like they'd also make the basis for some badass Redemptions too.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Tiny Chalupa posted:

They finally showed the models for Scions of the Flame in Warcry. REALLY dig the models
Looks like I gotta finally grab some new models

Yeah, I've been interested in them since I saw the blurb in the rulebook. Definitely picking them up whenever they come out.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Pulled the trigger on the Dark Uprising Necromunda box. Looks good! How are the Palanites? They look really cool.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, Warcry team is really hitting them out of the park.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Finished my Enforcer starter squad. I'm really happy with how they turned out. I went for a US SWAT theme to them. Hopefully in the coming week or so I can pick up a box of the Subjugators off of Ebay. I'm looking forward to eventually getting to play Necromunda once this whole first wave of the Plague is over.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Nice looking enforcers, really good details.

Gunder posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Dark Uprising Necromunda box. Looks good! How are the Palanites? They look really cool.

They are popular at the moment, I'd say a lot more people seem drawn to them out of the DU box than the Corpsegrinders.

All your models, Leader (Captain), Champions (Sergeants), regular Gangers (Patrolmen) are classed as either Palatine Enforcers or Subjugators. You can tell they are the different models in the box, you get 6 Subjugators with the bigger bases, heavier armour, bigger bodies, and 5 Palatines. This choice is made on recruitment and I don't believe it can be changed for a model afterward. It dictates your weapon choices, and Subjugators have better armour.

All Enforcers have mediocre stats (this isn't the end of the world as the difference isn't too extreme, I just mean they have no stand-out upgraded stats, like Goliath S/T or Van Saar BS). If there's a way to mitigate this in Necromunda, it's just good fundamental tactics and teamwork - have your models work together in little pods of 2-3, try to never send one fighter in to a situation on his own. Always look for opportunities to get the enemy out of cover, take aimed shots, stay in cover yourself (those apply to any gang really).

They have very good equipment. All your guys start with upgraded armour, Subjugators more so than Palatines. Your Palatines can access discount boltguns and combat shotguns, and the boltguns have their major weakness (running out of ammo) automatically mitigated. They don't have any starting access to cheaper ranged weapons though (bar their starting pistols which you shouldn't rely on!). So fitting enough fighters into your initial line-up can be a problem. The concussion carbine is a good weapon as well which doesn't carry as hefty a price tag. Eventually you want most of your Palatines with boltguns, maybe some combat shotguns and sniper rifles in there.

Subjugators can get shields which further increase their armour. This helps more in close combat than in shooting (it is useful against both) so they are naturally your cc guys. I think a lot of people make their Captain a Subjugator to take advantage of his 3+ WS on top of this, and to let him lead from the front. Unfortunately their choice of cc weapons isn't too great at the start, so you may want to visit the trading post if you're building up any serious cc fighters. Subjugators get grenade launchers which can be pretty handy, and can carry your heavy weapons as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Finished my test miniature for my Cawdor Cabal (excluding base, haven't decided what to do with bases yet).

I want to try something a little different with the chest on the next ones I do, but otherwise I'm pretty happy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Grenade launchers go into every slot, since hitting is optional!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just finished my first five Orlocks with a little weathering. I don't have an actual photo set up right now (my lightbox is back home in storage) so I fudged something together with desk lamps and sheets of printer paper.
Gangers

Juves

I really enjoyed painting these guys. The Orlock models are great and I have 15 more to do :shepface:. I'm not 100% happy with the black leather yet, but I'll tweak my recipe a bit on the next five. Maybe do some blending. I'll also be doing some more hazard stripes on shoulder plates, back plates, etc. My scheme is overall pretty dark and the extra spot colors help. I kept the metal darker than I usually do with my marines (House of Iron and all that) and I want to keep weathering light, but definitely not as clean as my usual style.

For my next project, I'm going to bounce back to my Blood Bowl lizardmen. I have four skinks done and I'll be working on three of the saurus next. They're big, beefy boys and covered in detail and scales so I don't want to do all six at once. My chosen skin tone is an homage to my old WHFB (:rip:) army. However, since the team is already green, I want to have the chameleon skinks stand out so I'm going to get weird with them.

I am fully planning on classic grass/astroturf bases with goblin green rims.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Blood Bowl getting thier Tree Men
https://youtu.be/U0qFNgQoySg

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Started painting my Escher gang. Still struggling a bit with finding a balance in the colour scheme, might go back and redo some parts, especially the weapons. But it helps to get most colours on there to get a feeling for the end result:

I ended up buying a Delaque box as well, just because the new design of them looks so much better than the old one.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So with all the game stores being closed, for obvious reasons, I have a very strong urge to paint and play at home. I am debating between Warcry, Blood Bowl and Necromunda
It will likely be just my lady and I playing, unless one of the kids become interested.......which one is easier to get going?
I do not own any of the 3 games. We would like some sort of campaign based system. I haven't played BB or Necromunda in years and have poked at Warcry

Does one of the 3 have a better campaign system to avoid a complete run away leader?
Am I paying triple the price if I don't like the starting Necromunda gangs vs piece mealing Blood Bowl teams?

While I enjoy the look of the new Scions of Flame for Warcry the balance in that game, with the release of all the factions, seems to basically be thrown out the window if you aren't using the starting factions together
I always enjoyed Blood Bowl and the teams seem really well priced but that game you can get hosed hardcore if the odd dice roll goes against you
Necromunda I like the look of drat near every gang except the Orlock

Edit: I apparently have a unopened Killteam starter + the mechanicus terrain box. Not sure if any of that is usable with Necromunda

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 10, 2020

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So with all the game stores being closed, for obvious reasons, I have a very strong urge to paint and play at home. I am debating between Warcry, Blood Bowl and Necromunda
It will likely be just my lady and I playing, unless one of the kids become interested.......which one is easier to get going?
I do not own any of the 3 games. We would like some sort of campaign based system. I haven't played BB or Necromunda in years and have poked at Warcry

Does one of the 3 have a better campaign system to avoid a complete run away leader?
Am I paying triple the price if I don't like the starting Necromunda gangs vs piece mealing Blood Bowl teams?

While I enjoy the look of the new Scions of Flame for Warcry the balance in that game, with the release of all the factions, seems to basically be thrown out the window if you aren't using the starting factions together
I always enjoyed Blood Bowl and the teams seem really well priced but that game you can get hosed hardcore if the odd dice roll goes against you
Necromunda I like the look of drat near every gang except the Orlock

Edit: I apparently have a unopened Killteam starter + the mechanicus terrain box. Not sure if any of that is usable with Necromunda

So Necromunda does have some tendencies to spiral success and failure in a campaign. This is best controlled by an active arbitrator giving the trailing gangs opportunities to get even. There are plenty of asymmetric scenarios etc which can do that.

Your kill team terrain is absolutely usable for Necromunda, basically made for it.

IMO, Necromunda is just the best game GW do. Campaigns are ridiculously fun.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I think as games AT, AI, Underworlds, and possibly even Warcry are all better, and Necro has some horrible weaknesses in that sense - it's somehow even more disorganised than 40k despite being like a tenth of the scale.

It does produce some of the best moments of anything in the GW range, though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

I still think AT takes that with all it’s falling over, exploding and spraying weapon fire completely out of normal turn sequence.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Corrode posted:

I think as games AT, AI, Underworlds, and possibly even Warcry are all better, and Necro has some horrible weaknesses in that sense - it's somehow even more disorganised than 40k despite being like a tenth of the scale.

Given that campaign play was specifically pointed out as a desirable feature, I don’t think any of the alternatives beat Necromunda. The Warcry campaign is barely adequate, and while the faults with Necro are well pointed out here by Corrode and Genghis, if you have a robust approach to arbitrating it you can accommodate most of that.

I actually really like Warcry but the campaign side of it really leaves me cold. I am trying to hack a homebrew take on that but it’s a lot of work and the setup of the game in terms of fighter stats kind of resists campaign style development.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I am also a huge blood bowl fan and would recommend it to anyone, especially if you’re a self contained group that is all learning to play at the same time. Just be aware that the game can be one of the most wildly frustrating ones because you really can be thoroughly hosed over by the dice. Learning how to manage that risk is the central skill of being a blood bowl player, and poor players often blame the dice when their skill is what was lacking, but sometimes the dice really do just swing the game.

Blood bowl campaign play is also really excellent. And the overall buy in for the game is probably the cheapest of all if you get the GW boxed set teams.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TTerrible posted:

I still think AT takes that with all it’s falling over, exploding and spraying weapon fire completely out of normal turn sequence.

Fair. AT really gets the balance of being a good, tight game which also produces cinematic moments regularly.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

Fair. AT really gets the balance of being a good, tight game which also produces cinematic moments regularly.

I love that your own Titan can A) die B) move C) make a kill possibly setting off the entire sequence again in the opponents shooting phase. :allears:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also chain reactions of explosions that level further Titans and half a city. Ask me how I know.... :black101:

Mengtzu
Jun 29, 2012
I think the Warcry campaign system is easily the best, especially with the improvements in the Tome of Champions, as a campaign you actually play beats the hell out of a better system that fizzles due to being too hard IRL. Decoupling your warband's campaign from "the campaign" means you can continue that quest wherever you are that has Warcry players - in the shop, at games club, at home, in random countries with GW stores on business trips, whatever. The loser experience is pretty good, there's limits on how far an advanced warband can get ahead (and soft resets), and you can more or less keep doing it forever given they keep publishing quests.

You will note that these virtues are optimised to solve the exact opposite problem of a Covid-19 lockdown. If you have a captive audience maybe now really is the time for the Necromunda campaign of your dreams :)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just play Necromunda, you cowards.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm leaning heavily towards Necromunda. Grinding my teeth some at their current starter box being $290 but I like both the gangs at least. A lot of the gangs honestly look bad rear end to me

Going to start with Kill team to at least introduce painting to my lady and maybe do some rough matches. I'll have her be the Ad Mech since they got a point advantage over the Genestealer Cult. I have little interest in doing Kill Team, seems like the teams + terrain packs have been discontinued? Which is bullshit if so....But the Kelermorph + Aberrants do look bad rear end as a Mofo and work in Kill.Team
And god forbid I continue to poke at Genestealers I like their vehicles. Seems like a potentional rabbit hole down the road

Son of a bitch I.forgot Genestealer Cult works in Necromunda!!

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 11, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I bought, primed, and basecoated my Delaques, and then haven't returned to them since. One day I will Necro some Munda.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Corrode posted:

I bought, primed, and basecoated my Delaques, and then haven't returned to them since. One day I will Necro some Munda.

Got the delaque box as well, will build them after my Escher. Necro is a good choice simply based on the new range being very good, and necro terrain building is fun.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I have my old metal Escher painted in a box somewhere, but as much as those models were very cool and characterful at the time it's hard to feel motivated to use them when the new plastics are so good

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I ended up ordering the 2d necro box and I prevously picked up some orlocks, my brother is in the house so I might be able to play some games with him.

On other topics, I finished up another mini knight!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Hey kids, do you love tiny giant robots AND tacos? Then Goonhammer has the scenario for you!
https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-approved-mission-the-devouring-of-chipotle-iv/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Corrode posted:

I have my old metal Escher painted in a box somewhere, but as much as those models were very cool and characterful at the time it's hard to feel motivated to use them when the new plastics are so good

I have old Orlock and Escher gangs and while I think they're cool models it would be kind of awkward to put them down with the modern versions, yea.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Corrode posted:

I have mixed feelings. I think some of the new designs are just leagues ahead, like Orlock for example. But the new Escher are a lot more... detailed if you want to be positive, overcrowded if you don't. So I think some paint schemes just look plain better on the old minis.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

R0ckfish posted:

I ended up ordering the 2d necro box and I prevously picked up some orlocks, my brother is in the house so I might be able to play some games with him.

Do they give you a proper rule book with that box now? I know the original pamphlet that came with Underhive is now ludicrously out of date.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Gunder posted:

Do they give you a proper rule book with that box now? I know the original pamphlet that came with Underhive is now ludicrously out of date.

I am just gonna use Ebooks instead, I think it is probably still going to be out of date.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So a local little mom and pop shop actually has the original updated starter Underhives for $115
I believe the rulebook is outdated but is the rest worth it still?

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I just picked up the Van Saar Gang, because a few friends are looking to start playing, and we've all resolved to have some table ready to play.

I'm planning to pick up the turbo dork darknet paint to base-coat them. I'm pretty excited because i have wanted to play Necromunda for a long time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So a local little mom and pop shop actually has the original updated starter Underhives for $115
I believe the rulebook is outdated but is the rest worth it still?

I grabbed it for the models, tiles, and templates and don’t regret it. There is a compilation rulebook floating around the internet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The first box is a better way to get tiles for ZM (only way to get the card ones) and the rest of the stuff holds up, gangs especially. Pick up those and Gangs of the Underhive/Rulebook and you’re golden.