Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Craptacular! posted:

It seems like the lower tier cards would be where DLSS would be most useful? If you're on a high end card and saying "this tweak lets me run at ultra settings instead of high", that doesn't seem like an accomplishment when those settings are barelyvisible and require a quality tradeoff in other respects. For xx70, DLSS might simply be a way to get the game to run at your desired frames period.

Raytracing murders framerates. DLSS 2.0 makes it so that it's actually possible on existing hardware to play Control at max settings and get a decent framerate, and the visual differences there are not minor at all.

Also, 144hz monitors are increasingly becoming standard among people who would buy mid range plus video cards. Again DLSS is the only way to get modern games at high settings to run any kind of decent framerate. When 4k/144hz monitors become a thing, upscaling is really going to be the only way to get decent framerates, and DLSS is now dramatically superior to the other options.

IDK if Nvidia will put RT and Tensor on their next-gen budget GPUs, it's hard to say. I can't imagine it making sense for a sub-$300 GPU, but going to 7nm was huge for AMD, it may well enable Nvidia to make some unbelievably good GPUs. Since the consoles have it, it's pretty safe to assume that all of AMD's RDNA2 desktop parts will have RT, and I can't see Nvidia being willing to fall behind after innovating the tech.

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm currently weighing up some upgrades on my system too as I dread having to reformat a second time should I want to do it in a few months. I'm currently running one of those Core 2 Duos that everyone loved back in the day (9600k or something?) which I assume is getting long in the tooth by now along with GTX970.

How much of a performance bump will I get out of 1650 Super or a 1660 Super? I really can't afford anything more and just wondering if there is a ton of upside with those options or whether I'm just better off sticking with my current GPU and waiting a while for price drops on something better.

This is currently a gaming rig running 1440p on one of those overclocked 96hz Korean monitors.

It's a meaningful bump, but I don't think the performance justifies the cost at all, even taking selling your 970 into account. Doubly so when you consider how CPU bottlenecked you are in any modern game. A GPU upgrade is not a flatten and reinstall thing on windows 10 anyway. It sounds to me like in your position you should hold off and wait until you can afford to spend more and strike when the time is right.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

It's a meaningful bump, but I don't think the performance justifies the cost at all, even taking selling your 970 into account. Doubly so when you consider how CPU bottlenecked you are in any modern game. A GPU upgrade is not a flatten and reinstall thing on windows 10 anyway. It sounds to me like in your position you should hold off and wait until you can afford to spend more and strike when the time is right.

I've never really thought that it would be the CPU that is bottlenecking me. Sure it's noticeable on CPU intensive games like RTS/Strategy/City Builders but didn't think it was hamstringing me too much elsewhere. So you're saying i'll be pleasantly surprised by the performance bump by keeping the card and just getting a new CPU and some DDR4 RAM?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Depends on what games you're talking about and what settings. Keep in mind that a 970 is still significantly more powerful than a base PS4/Xbone, but with only 2 cores/2 threads of a very old CPU and very limited memory bandwidth, you're absolutely drowning when it comes to multithreaded performance in modern games that really want 6-8+ threads. It's also much easier for games to scale down GPU load with low settings than CPU load.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The rumors were that the whole stack for Nvidias next part would have RT, but Tensor wasn't mentioned... cause nobody cared at the time, lol.

Nothing is stopping AMD from adding similar fixed function matrix math units, but it needs die space, which raises the manufacturing cost and power budget. And then they would need to develop the entire back end for it. Which Nvidia is years ahead on. So uh.

Intel's Xe architecture apparently has some sort of "matrix engine", whenever it launches and whatever that means. Apple, Samsung, and Qualcomm all have various version in their new mobile stuff too.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm currently weighing up some upgrades on my system too as I dread having to reformat a second time should I want to do it in a few months. I'm currently running one of those Core 2 Duos that everyone loved back in the day (9600k or something?) which I assume is getting long in the tooth by now along with GTX970.

How much of a performance bump will I get out of 1650 Super or a 1660 Super? I really can't afford anything more and just wondering if there is a ton of upside with those options or whether I'm just better off sticking with my current GPU and waiting a while for price drops on something better.

This is currently a gaming rig running 1440p on one of those overclocked 96hz Korean monitors.

Are you sure you're actually on a Core 2 Duo? It would be over ten years old now and a significant bottleneck in basically any task. If you actually have one of those, upgrade that first.

There is no need to reformat to install Windows 10, nor for doing significant system upgrades under Windows 10.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Craptacular! posted:

It seems like the lower tier cards would be where DLSS would be most useful? If you're on a high end card and saying "this tweak lets me run at ultra settings instead of high", that doesn't seem like an accomplishment when those settings are barelyvisible and require a quality tradeoff in other respects. For xx70, DLSS might simply be a way to get the game to run at your desired frames period.

DLSS is going to be most important for enabling ray-tracing in games because it directly offsets the huge performance hit of RTX effects without hurting image quality. DLSS 1.0 in Control was already pretty good but not all the way there, with DLSS 2.0 the upscaling is almost imperceptible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

And then they would need to develop the entire back end for it. Which Nvidia is years ahead on. So uh.

Intel's Xe architecture apparently has some sort of "matrix engine", whenever it launches and whatever that means. Apple, Samsung, and Qualcomm all have various version in their new mobile stuff too.

Microsoft is providing an abstraction layer for accelerated ML, so long term it should be possible to make a DLSS counterpart that runs on whatever matrix units happen to be available (or pure compute as a last resort, if that makes sense perf wise)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3d12/dml-intro

Nvidia isn't likely to open up DLSS though, so someone else will have to redevelop it from scratch

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wake me up when AMD produces a stable graphics card.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

There is no need to reformat to install Windows 10, nor for doing significant system upgrades under Windows 10.

Wait a minute...... what?!?! If I install Windows 10 on my exact system now I won't lose all my C:\ drive stuff?

And if I get a new motherboard/CPU once I have Windows 10 I won't have to either?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

redeyes posted:

Wake me up when AMD produces a stable graphics card.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps5/

EDIT: Kind of wondering whether AMD can leverage the consoles to create a sort of DLSS-Lite system that would be simple for multi-platform devs to drop into place. Essentially, optimize for the console graphics, and the PC hardware will figure out the rest. Ideally it's the kind of thing that's a no-brainer for a developer to include unless Nvidia actually pays them not to.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Wait a minute...... what?!?! If I install Windows 10 on my exact system now I won't lose all my C:\ drive stuff?

And if I get a new motherboard/CPU once I have Windows 10 I won't have to either?

Nope. Windows 7 was already pretty resilient, but Windows 10 almost never gives a gently caress. It pretty much just works. I think someone did some testing with a horribly abused system drive cycled through a bunch of different machines and found that aside from maybe some startup time differences, it didn't matter.

Oh that's the other thing. Do you even have an SSD? It's such a given these days, but if you're still living with a hard drive, an SSD is another thing that will fundamentally change the way you view using your computer.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Oh that's the other thing. Do you even have an SSD? It's such a given these days, but if you're still living with a hard drive, an SSD is another thing that will fundamentally change the way you view using your computer.

Yeah, I've got an SSD. I've pretty much upgraded everything outside of my MB/CPU from my original build 10 odd years ago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like AMD cards for Radeon Chill and VSR

Is AMD’s VSR better than the NVIDIA equivalent?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

When I replaced my MB/CPU in windows 10 and just booted right into it my mind was blown.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mrs. Slidebite is running a 2500k and 780GTX on 7Pro for *years* and I finally took the plunge doing an upgrade (not reinstall) to Win 10 for 7. Worked perfect. No problems, smooth as hell. I was pleasantly surprised.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite is running a 2500k and 780GTX on 7Pro for *years* and I finally took the plunge doing an upgrade (not reinstall) to Win 10 for 7. Worked perfect. No problems, smooth as hell. I was pleasantly surprised.

If you want the old start menu back you can install classic shell / open shell.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

FreeLSS

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ShaneB posted:

When I replaced my MB/CPU in windows 10 and just booted right into it my mind was blown.
Yeah I did the same thing. Replaced a PSU MB/CPU to try to fix some nagging crashy issues and it just booted right up, easy peasy.

Best part? I reinstalled windows since it felt like a good idea and THAT install never worked quite right

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I did the same thing. Replaced a PSU MB/CPU to try to fix some nagging crashy issues and it just booted right up, easy peasy.

Best part? I reinstalled windows since it felt like a good idea and THAT install never worked quite right

Lol, that happened to me a couple years ago. I did a big hardware swap and everything worked fine but I was paranoid and didn't feel like I earned it so I did a wipe and had a ton of trouble getting my USB boot to work on the new board (ended up being an issue with my Bios version and ONE of the USB versions but I never tried a different port like a dingus).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So TOTAL rumor with little behind it, but this smells a bit more legit or at least realistic to me. Sounds like they are looking at an August Debut and September release of Ampere, which will include the 3000 series.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71467/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-august-2020-reveal-launch-at-computex/index.html

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I was about to say 'was that before the outbreak though', but it turns out they originally intended to announce the new cards last week. August - that's a big delay.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I was about to say 'was that before the outbreak though', but it turns out they originally intended to announce the new cards last week. August - that's a big delay.

I bet last week's announcement was going to be the Quadro with the gaming line probably a couple months out. Now they will probably release stuff more bunched up in the August-September-October time.

Another good note in that article was Nvidia is seeing increased demand in both gaming and compute, so they have more motivation now to keep churning through old stock.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah, also with DLSS 2.0 out now, that significantly increases the lifespan and value proposition of the RTX series. They may be hoping that alone will get people to buy up remaining stocks.

It's hard to overstate how big of a deal this is. Devs are saying that DLSS 2.0 is easy to implement, and the gains are so dramatic that we can count on the tech being included on most or all intensive games going forward (and many existing titles patching it in).

This retroactively fulfills the RTX promise of feasible ray tracing. It makes 144hz gaming much more approachable. It makes matching the raw power of the upcoming consoles much easier for mid tier and lower gamers.

By all means feel free to disagree but as a 2080 owner, this just feels like a major, major shift in the market, and the biggest game changer in a long while. It will be somewhere between difficult and impossible for Radeon to compete under these conditions, which is a net loss for everyone- hopefully they can bring something similar to market ASAP.

quote:

“NVIDIA DLSS 2.0 basically gives our players a free performance boost, without sacrificing image quality” said Russ Bullock, President at Piranha Games. “It was also super easy to implement with NVIDIA’s new SDK, so it was a no brainer for us to add it to MechWarrior 5.”

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It has me seriously considering a side/down-grade from a 1080 Ti -> 2070 Super while it would only be $40 or so and I still have some warranty remaining. I'll probably still wait for Ampere, but it's awfully tempting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

As someone with a 1080 Ti it's hard to make the jump to "mildly better" for a cold two thousand canadian pesos. I feel that Nvidia will need to do a lot better, even with DLSS 2.0, to get a pile out of cash out of most 1080 Ti owners.

I get 80+ FPS on most games at very high to ultra settings. I'd love a solid 120+ but we've finally hit the point in some games where the difference between very high and ultra is an algorithm change instead of a few extra rounds of Newton's method. VH to Ultra in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint is the difference between Low and High, for example.

Pump out that kinda change but +40 FPS for a grand and you'll have my money.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kazinsal posted:

As someone with a 1080 Ti it's hard to make the jump to "mildly better" for a cold two thousand canadian pesos. I feel that Nvidia will need to do a lot better, even with DLSS 2.0, to get a pile out of cash out of most 1080 Ti owners.

It'd be a lot easier sell if you were trying to play at 4k. But you're right, the 2000-series was never really aimed at dislodging 1080Ti owners--though I think this may compel some of the people who have been sitting on 9-series or lower-tier 10-series cards to upgrade, which is probably more important to NVidia since the 1080Ti owner group is considerably smaller than either of those other two groups.

Like you, though, I'm just gonna ride my 1080Ti until at least the next generation and see where things stand then. DLSS isn't gonna do much for me in FFXIV, after all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I did a 1070 to 2080S jump ONLY because I knew I was going to be homebound due to COVID for a while, otherwise I would have absolutely have waited for Ampere. 1080TI owners don't really have a natural upgrade path unless you absolutely need that moderate boost.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a Quadro K1100 in a laptop with a 3840x2160 display. No way I can drive that display at native for games and in the latest drivers I don't have any options for choosing the upscaling method. Maybe the system is setup in a way that the display does the scaling and not the GPU?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think the GPU always does the scaling in laptops, their displays have relatively lightweight controllers compared to standalone monitors.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way I can set the scaling options without going through the nvidia control panel since those options are not exposed?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is it an Optimus laptop? If so you might have to configure it via the iGPU driver instead since Optimus physically drives the display from the iGPU even when you're using the dGPU.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Someone talk me out of moving from an RX580 to an RTX 2060 Super... please?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Go used 2080

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

hey what's the cheapest DX11-capable GPU that would be an upgrade or sidegrade to my creaky old Radeon HD4870 1GB from 2009? The thing is a beast and has been working respectably well on newer games, so long as they use DX9 or OpenGL, but that's less and less common every year, it seems

last I looked into this was right when bitcoin GPU mining was big, so all the ~$100 cards available were actually worse in every way except DX11 support

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I would send you a R9 290X if it weren't locked away at my office that's closed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Peanut Butler posted:

hey what's the cheapest DX11-capable GPU that would be an upgrade or sidegrade to my creaky old Radeon HD4870 1GB from 2009? The thing is a beast and has been working respectably well on newer games, so long as they use DX9 or OpenGL, but that's less and less common every year, it seems

last I looked into this was right when bitcoin GPU mining was big, so all the ~$100 cards available were actually worse in every way except DX11 support

RX 470/570 or 480/580 is the minimum thing worth spending money on at the moment. You can do something around $100 for sure.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a few options for an RX 480 with varying amounts of VRAM and fans from a seller with a 99% positive rating on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-Radeon-RX-480-4GB-RS-Graphics-Card/153791141584
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powercolor-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-Red-Dragon-Graphics-Card/153784659158
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powercolor-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-Red-Devil-Graphics-Card/153651407808

I'd probably at least get the Red Dragon if you aren't on an extreme budget, and the Red Devil would be really nice for an extra $5 so long as it isn't too long for your case.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Its probably nothing/false since :WCCFTECH: but 32gb of VRAM what the hell

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
I think that was their April Fools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009