Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What I was thinking when I wanted to first play Vagabond: "Hell yeah, I'm gonna be the wildcard and Yojimbo the gently caress out of these guys."
What ended up happening when I first played Vagabond: "Hey uh, can anyone craft for me? I have cards! Anyone? No? Well I guess I'll just walk to these ruins."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

Thinking about buying The Gallerist this week. Wanna have another Lacerda and the Solo Mode looks good as well.

The game is still considered good, right?

And how good is the insert that comes with the game?

It's a great game. Still the best Lacerda in my opinion. The insert is pretty drat good as well, although like many older than a few years it doesn't allow for sleeved cards.

In other news: digital Mystic Vale is 30% off on Steam right now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I think vagabond is the least interesting faction in the game and games with vagabond kinda suck.

This.

I think with Root you need a whole teaching game, rather than a teaching few turns as well.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

It's a great game. Still the best Lacerda in my opinion. The insert is pretty drat good as well, although like many older than a few years it doesn't allow for sleeved cards.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Gonna order it today then.

I don't think I'm gonna sleeve the cards as there are only the contract and end game scoring cards, right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks, that's good to hear. Gonna order it today then.

I don't think I'm gonna sleeve the cards as there are only the contract and end game scoring cards, right?

Yes. I would sleeve the contracts if you can, though, as they're double sided. I think the whole game only needs one 50-pack of 46x71s anyway.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

Yes. I would sleeve the contracts if you can, though, as they're double sided. I think the whole game only needs one 50-pack of 46x71s anyway.

Gonna look into that. My Gloomhaven sleeves are also running low so maybe I can get a pack for The Gallerist when I order new ones.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Railroad Ink has a great online implementation.

https://ondras.github.io/rri/

Still my favorite r&w.

Just poking around looking to fill a few down hours and hoo boy did this hit the spot.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Frosthaven kickstarter went live.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Apparently there's a Pax Renaissance reprint coming to Kickstarter April 7th. Is it worth getting? I've heard good things, but I've never played it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't know about the production quality or price point of Pax Ren 2, or indeed if the game itself has been jiggled at all besides coming w/ the most recent rules (which will soon get changed again), but the first edition was my favourite Pax before Pax Pam 2e came out, which displaced it mostly by virtue of being the easiest Pax to teach by far.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

And crossed into I think 3 million within a couple of hours. I think this is probably the fastest funded boardgame kickstarter to date?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thespaceinvader posted:

And crossed into I think 3 million within a couple of hours. I think this is probably the fastest funded boardgame kickstarter to date?

Kingdom Breast Monster 1.5 did similar numbers but with a much higher price point and fewer backers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think the timing alone will keep Frosthaven from reaching 10+ million but otherwise this is on track to be the biggest KS of the year, to the surprise of no one.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
How is Gloomhaven for solo play? Thinking of backing Frosthaven if it’ll be decent for solo stuff. I won’t have a good dedicated group to play with but the setting and style look fun.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Daric posted:

How is Gloomhaven for solo play? Thinking of backing Frosthaven if it’ll be decent for solo stuff. I won’t have a good dedicated group to play with but the setting and style look fun.

The main thing you lose is imperfect coordination (since you know every character's goals and actions), and so you would probably need to increase the difficulty level to compensate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You also don't have someone else to help with setup/teardown.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Daric posted:

Solo play is extremely popular and well-supported. You generally play 2 characters (maybe 3 once you get really familiar with them) and increase the difficulty to compensate for the perfect knowledge of both turns.

There's also legit solo scenarios for one character, but those aren't the main mode of game play at all. They're kind of one and done side quests for unique loot.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
one caveat is that the frosthaven starting classes are considerably more complex than the gloomhaven starting classes, which might make jumping in and controlling two of them a bit of a brain burner

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Daric posted:

Back frosthaven and get the gloomhaven digital version, by the time frosthaven comes you should be pretty well versed in the mechanics. The games are fine at any number, I think 2-3 is even preferable, but solo is also fine. The solo scenarios are more like puzzles that require mastery over the individual character class mechanics/gimmicks

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's also no reason you can't play 2 handed (or more, but that's a slog). The perfect information about each characters' choices loses some of the chaotic nature of coordination, but it can be nicely countered by bumping the difficulty up slightly (the rulebook has recommendations).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I agree with the sentiment that it's probably better to wait for retail. Also, that it is a shame that set up and tear down wasn't made any better. At least the scenario book isn't actively antagonistic like the Forgotten Circles book

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the big problem with frosthaven is going to be deciding what to play. every new class looks Very Fun™

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
If you're looking for easy setup Gloomhaven, you're probably better off waiting for Jaws of the Lion, tbh. It's being designed to have the maps and whatnot be premade on a page of a large booklet. As for difficulty, Gloomhaven easily scales that in the current game. The number of players is what determines the amount of enemies and whether or not they are standard or elite versions on each scenario map. The difficulty rating is then used to determine what the stats of those enemies are (and your rewards for gold drops and experience points at the end of the scenario). I said earlier that I turned the difficulty down one notch for my 2-player, 4-character game, and we still found some scenarios challenging.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I hate April Fools but this got a laugh out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nz-_hvFw44

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Dragon's Tomb should release a 'real' how-to-play video every April 1st.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Not April Fool's related:

I pick the worst times to try and cull my collection. Selling some stuff listed here. Buy my games. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/ft0i3b/the_monthly_board_game_bazaar_april_2020/fm4j5dr

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Does monopoly count as a train game?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

My deep experience in this field and all the people I've discussed and surveyed about this, the answer is:

Depends on which internet argument you're trying to win.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Alright thread, you've already helped me out the other day and so I come back with another request. Please give me your best fantasy games for 3 players that don't devolve into constant backstabbing. It would ideally have enough depth to be interesting without being completely obtuse, and have some theme and storytelling to it. I think Gloomhaven would have worked, but is not an option because reasons. 2 of those players haven't played a ton of board games, so you can go wild with the elves, dragons and other clichés other players would be sick of.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Co op mage knight isn't completely obtuse, just regular obtuse.

Otherwise dungeon Lords and pets

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Frozen Peach posted:

it has four railroads right on the game board.

also some versions have a train as a game pawn.

i think you know the answer in your heart.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I believe multiple chance and community cards depict the Monopoly man as a train conductor as well so the answer is clear.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Eraflure posted:

Alright thread, you've already helped me out the other day and so I come back with another request. Please give me your best fantasy games for 3 players that don't devolve into constant backstabbing. It would ideally have enough depth to be interesting without being completely obtuse, and have some theme and storytelling to it. I think Gloomhaven would have worked, but is not an option because reasons. 2 of those players haven't played a ton of board games, so you can go wild with the elves, dragons and other clichés other players would be sick of.

The LCG thread liked Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game, but you should know it's out of print and got abandoned early in the game's lifecycle. Core sets can be found cheap, but the expansions are pretty expensive now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hyperborea: Light and Shadow is getting a reprint. The run will be printed based on pre-orders, and a donation from every sale will go to the WHO COVID-19 fund.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Hyperborea: Light and Shadow is getting a reprint. The run will be printed based on pre-orders, and a donation from every sale will go to the WHO COVID-19 fund.

Please don't support WHO. Support the free and useful science and information flow around the globe, not the China determined data and information. They are not in tune with experts in any case. https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-04-01/coronavirus-who?fbclid=IwAR1GQQpcRZd8ubgGeSip-oOuBmcqajz7t5L1wnf-RWDMSD207m8dkmw5bAg

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Shadow225 posted:

Not April Fool's related:

I pick the worst times to try and cull my collection. Selling some stuff listed here. Buy my games. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/ft0i3b/the_monthly_board_game_bazaar_april_2020/fm4j5dr

What are you looking for for dungeon pets and kemet?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Eraflure posted:

Dungeon Lords is a good recommendation, but my fave quicker fantasy themed games are Welcome to the Dungeon , Bargain Quest , and Ethnos

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

What are you looking for for dungeon pets and kemet?

I would send a PM but you don't have them. If there is a better way to do this, let me know.

Dungeon Pets - $50
- Bob the Blob
- Dark Alleys
- Bonus Petz

Kemet - $70
- Ta-Seti
- Dice Tower Promo 2016
- New Power Tiles
- Skills and Black Power Tile for Ta-Seti
- C3K : Kemet cards

We'll say 20 bucks shipping to help shoulder some of the cost for $140 total. Is that reasonable?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Eraflure posted:

Legends of Andor is a nice euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure. The story is not the selling point, but it is enjoyable (but generic fantasy). The whole trilogy makes for a satisfying journey. Rules are fairly simple, and scenario 1 is a tutorial you can quickly jump into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

canyoneer posted:

The LCG thread liked Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game, but you should know it's out of print and got abandoned early in the game's lifecycle. Core sets can be found cheap, but the expansions are pretty expensive now.

Heroes of Terrinoth is the exact same game but in the Runebound universe and is probably a lot easier to find