Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Reading the first person's other tweets in the thread, it sounds like the disconnect is based on the fact that Jewish stereotypes are largely harmless in the United States but are still weaponized in other countries where Jews are actively persecuted minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Zaphod42 posted:

Or, someone on the writing staff intentionally made them their own religion so as not to offend other religions or appropriate, seeing nothing of it since the character was already greedy and also being that part of representation means not just token representation but for all kinds of characters.

You should maybe read the "Hi, I’m a Jew and one of the showrunners of the show, Also the writer of this episode @janembecker is Jewish" tweet.

Also lol "I haven't seen the show but..." :rolleyes:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, yes it does. There is a subset group of liberals who think Jews (and also Roma) are an acceptable target for bigotry because they are a "white" minority. Since the writers are Jewish this isn't the case, and there is nothing to be angry about.

just because they're jewish doesn't mean they can't still offend other jewish people with stereotypes or have bad representation in their works, though? like for a general example, someone who's, say, asian can still have asian stereotypes in their stuff, and they should get called on that instead of people getting all smug and dismissive about it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I've got the middle position of this discussion which is that the fact that they didn't intend it means they shouldn't go and be metaphorically tarred and feathered and labeled as antisemites, but it's still worth criticizing and worth learning from to avoid repeating in the future. Also the fact they themselves are of said minority doesn't invalidate people being offended by this, but it does help support the benefit of the doubt that they didn't intend to do so.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Booky posted:

just because they're jewish doesn't mean they can't still offend other jewish people with stereotypes or have bad representation in their works, though? like for a general example, someone who's, say, asian can still have asian stereotypes in their stuff, and they should get called on that instead of people getting all smug and dismissive about it.

I'm black and no one calls black people out on their stereotype filled movies like anything from Tyler Perry, Lil Rel or... anything that's not from Jordan Peele, really. People just call them "comedies".

If you want to call racism or antisemitism, you either need to talk about all of it or just not be as offended by a cartoon that people involved have stated that they're not actually trying to offend people.

This isn't Family Guy or South Park.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The minority status of a given author doesnt exempt them from reinforcing harmful cultural stereotypes. If birth of a nation or whatever was revealed at the last second to be written by a black man or something that might invite people to recontextualize their reading of it, but it still wouldnt invalidate any of the criticism placed upon it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I saw the episode and can't remember a single joke that was making fun of Jewish culture. It could have been a regular birthday party and the jokes would still land.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a pretty old debate of how far into stereotypes can somebody play even if their identity makes it improbable that there is actual malice intended. Taking offense isn't like a mechanical process that can be invalidated if the source has an excuse, it's a complex combination things that mostly remind that you are in some way an outsider to the rest of society.

Or if you remove the identity politics, it's the age old question of how far is too far. There's not even a right answer, just a balance between offense and how well the humor works, which can even be effected by context.

I generally side against dumb stereotype jokes, but not out of my own personal virtue or anything, but because I'm not very receptive to a lot of that sort of thing and by the time I figure out what the actual joke is supposed to be about, I'm already annoyed by the references I don't get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When internet racists are praising you, you've probably done something wrong.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Reading the first person's other tweets in the thread, it sounds like the disconnect is based on the fact that Jewish stereotypes are largely harmless in the United States but are still weaponized in other countries where Jews are actively persecuted minorities.

How long ago was that synagogue shooting?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I dunno if I'd call jewish stereotypes harmless. Just like, relatively less harm

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How long ago was that synagogue shooting?
A little bit longer than the Jersey City shooting a week ago?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Are Harley and Ivy dating on the show?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Nah. Ivy's got a place and is letting Harley crash. They're friends, really close friends, it seems, but they haven't hinted at anything romantic at all.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Can't wait for this to kick off a round of twitter bullshit where people who have not watched the show chime in with dumb takes leading to dumbass chuds who also have no clue what the show is to "stan" the show thus making the first group go "see chuds like it ergo..."

And yeah this is the first time in a while when I can say I enjoy a DC thing, mostly because it does not take itself seriously but still does a lot of basic but fun feminist critique of the whole franchise.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1207835835841830912

Jesse "Jmoyns" Moynihan confirmed to be art director

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didnt know adventure time was getting HBO specials (mentioned in the article). Do those have any original staff involvement in them? A quick google didnt seem to indicate so

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

I didnt know adventure time was getting HBO specials (mentioned in the article). Do those have any original staff involvement in them? A quick google didnt seem to indicate so

at bare minimum Adam Muto, Jack Pendarvis, and Hanna K Nystrom are all confirmed

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
MFKZ just got released on Netflix. gently caress the critics this movie is gorgeous and I love it to death. Definitely worth a look if you like weird anime inspired stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

MFKZ just got released on Netflix. gently caress the critics this movie is gorgeous and I love it to death. Definitely worth a look if you like weird anime inspired stuff.

France has such an interesting animation industry and has made a lot of tv shows and movie I really love, yet I so rarely see people talking about it.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
I remember a couple people here liking Peepoodo, Bobbypills are kickstarting a second season right now :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobbypills/peepoodo-and-the-super-gently caress-friends-season-2

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boblemoche posted:

I remember a couple people here liking Peepoodo, Bobbypills are kickstarting a second season right now :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobbypills/peepoodo-and-the-super-gently caress-friends-season-2

I feel like likeing peepoodo should get you put on some kind of list

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PicklePants posted:

Nah. Ivy's got a place and is letting Harley crash. They're friends, really close friends, it seems, but they haven't hinted at anything romantic at all.

It feels like they're leaving that open for the future, maybe, but it's not the focus of this season at the very least. Ivy is such a wonderful "straight woman" to Harley's antics and the general bizarro world of the Legion.

Especially love how the last episode was extremely on the nose that Ivy is hard to see as a true villain nowadays. With our climate issues she's more of an anti hero.

I am amazed at how consistently funny HQ the show is. I kind of want these versions of Clayface and Man Shark to be the new canon ones going forwards.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 28, 2020

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'm glad Ron Funches has been killin' it as King Shark. I saw him do stand up a couple times about five years back, and he was fuckin' hilarious, so it's nice seein' him in a role that he seems to really be enjoying.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
More Ballmastrz 9009 airing Feb 23! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hNf_GGxrI

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Has there been any word on season 3 for Final Space?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Has there been any word on season 3 for Final Space?

The creator has basically confirmed season 3 has the greenlight and is in development but no official announcements yet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ballmastrz 9009 continues to be an amazing show.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like they've been given a bigger budget, because drat Ballmastrz has had some amazing animation these past few episodes. The last one was a really good Vampire Hunter D tribute, and had some really good action scenes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

trailer for Midnight Gospel is out now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJQ3i9HafY

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ballmastrz 9009 continues to be an amazing show.

Ballmastrz is so drat weird. It thinks it's a parody of shounen/sports anime tropes but it doesn't actually know how parody works so it just kind of ends up ~being~ those things. I love those things though, so in the end I love Ballmastrz.

This looks loving amazing.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
New Primal on right now. April Fools started early. Who knows what else happens.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

No.1 Special posted:

New Primal on right now. April Fools started early. Who knows what else happens.

Oh okay it wasn't just me. God loving drat that episode is so good and super tense with a crazy rear end Brontosaurus/diseased/raging zombie thing. Completely appropriate for our current times.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Show on now has, I'm pretty sure, the Bushworld Adventures guy and Harry Plinkett.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Here's last nights schedule.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1245253740313161730

And here's the release dates.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1245254544814202881

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1245254899056685057

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Nice, ready for some Shivering Truth

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Gemusetto Machu Picchu apparently IS getting a second season this fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXEXBsvTKg

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The animation on Primal is beautiful. Reminds me a lot of The Maxx.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1245473421305106434?s=20

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Really disappointed in Midnight Gospel. I was hoping for Adventure Time in the multiverse but instead we get a guy improvising incredibly mundane conversations (that the show thinks are profound) while the animators desperately trying to make it interesting by drawing trippy stuff for 20 mins. There’s no real story or stakes or even jokes really. It’s just two people talking about legalizing drugs while random things happen around them. It’s a shame too because I like the general vibe and art style so this really feels like a missed opportunity.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 20, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mantis42 posted:

Show on now has, I'm pretty sure, the Bushworld Adventures guy and Harry Plinkett.

What show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

readingatwork posted:

Really disappointed in Midnight Gospel. I was hoping for Adventure Time in the multiverse but instead we get a guy improvising incredibly mundane conversations (that the show thinks are profound) while the animators desperately trying to make it interesting by drawing trippy stuff for 20 mins. There’s no real story or stakes or even jokes really. It’s just two people talking about legalizing drugs while ransom things happen around them. It’s a shame too because I like the general vibe and art style so this really feels like a missed opportunity.

Wow that loving sucks