Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I don't want to complain but my CPU is too cool running. Im only hitting like 62C running OCCT burn test. Ryzen Master says 73W. That isn't even enough for this thing? Surely I can get more MHZ somehow?

[edit] R9 3900x

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
62F as in fahrenheit? Are you sure it’s switched on? Are you using it outdoors?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Soricidus posted:

62F as in fahrenheit? Are you sure it’s switched on? Are you using it outdoors?

Even 62c is a touch on the low end if that is running full tilt if it's on the stock cooler. Not that that's a bad thing but points to auto boost might not be working. Now a custom cooler, yeah you might be able to do that while boosting.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Techspot has iGPU benchmarks - https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

It's now better than the cheapest NV discrete chips, the MX GPU's. It's still only about half as fast as a GTX 1650 Max-Q in a GPU bottlenecked situation, but if you play at low settings which are more CPU bound, it competes a lot better.

FINALLY!

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Seeing how close the 4900HS performs in video editing and how much of a jump over the previous gen is intriguing, should resonate well with tech youtubers. Battery life looks very good on a 1080p screen reaching 11ish hours watching video and doing office work.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Techspot has iGPU benchmarks - https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

It's now better than the cheapest NV discrete chips, the MX GPU's. It's still only about half as fast as a GTX 1650 Max-Q in a GPU bottlenecked situation, but if you play at low settings which are more CPU bound, it competes a lot better.

Not bad at all.

A APU that offers "good enough" 1080p gaming crosses an important threshold for a lot of people. Vega 11 wasn't quite there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Are 4xxxx Ryzens the last generation on AM4?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

teagone posted:

Are 4xxxx Ryzens the last generation on AM4?

I don't think it's ever been officially confirmed, but everyone is expecting desktop Intel and AMD to shift to DDR5 in 2021. That'd be a good opportunity to switch to a new socket and avoid monumental compatibility headaches.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
2021 would also put it on track for USB4. Finally, industry-standard external PCIe lanes that resemble but are legally distinct from Thunderbolt!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

2021 would also put it on track for USB4. Finally, industry-standard external PCIe lanes that resemble but are legally distinct from Thunderbolt!

I keep trying to think of ways the USB-IF can make USB4 as weird and obtuse as possible but I always give up and realize that my imagination is nowhere near as good as theirs is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

USB 2.0 Series U

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
X USB 3.60 S
X USB 3.60 X
X USB Series X

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Joking aside, I am more concerned over how, for the next two years or so, until USB4 products start showing up, the top-of-the-line laptops may very well be AMD-based, but not have Thunderbolt unless the OEM sticks a Titan Ridge chip in there.

And considering how hard it is to get Thunderbolt on desktop AMD platfroms as it stands... does not lead me to be optimistic.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

FuturePastNow posted:

Not bad at all.

A APU that offers "good enough" 1080p gaming crosses an important threshold for a lot of people. Vega 11 wasn't quite there.

Fiddling with numbers a bit from the review, Vega 8 Plus has a 40% lead in games over Vega 10. If we apply that to known Firestrike scores, for Vega 10 (2745), we get 3740 for Vega 8 Plus. That puts it only slightly behind desktop Vega 11 in mobile form factor (4037). Assuming it can clock like a Vega VII, you might be looking at 15-20% more performance on top of mobile numbers, I think. I doubt there is going to be as much daylight between Vega 8 Plus Mobile and Vega 8 Plus Desktop, but if there is you're looking @ a ~45% gap, not a 15-20% gap. In scenario #1, that's 4488 at best on desktop; In scenario #2 we'd be looking at 5423. The average between is 4956.

Desktop GTX 1050 is ~7645, or about 70% faster in scenario #1, 40% faster in scenario #2, and 55% faster in scenario #3. However the GTX 1650 Max-Q is only 55% faster in those reviews on average, and also has similar Firestrike scores to a GTX 1050, so my math might already be really off for Vega 8 Plus Desktop and it could legit be a hella lot closer once OCed, which is nuts. That'd put it between an RX 560 and GTX 1050, which is 1080p medium-high for a lot of esportsish or low demand titles, and it'd absolutely munch on older poo poo.

Klyith posted:

Eh, the 3600 will stop being produced once the 4000 series comes out. AMD keeps making 12nm chips because they have cheap fab capacity at GloFlo.

Er, probably not TBH. AMD will continue to produce Zen2 for quite some time yet as it fullfills contractual obligations for Rome orders. We're going to keep getting Ryzen 3000 parts for the next 2 years, and on the cheap, because not all dies will meet the binning requirements. In contrast, there's little reason to keep 12nm parts chugging along if you can push your old customers to move to Rome and Milan (the performance gains are too real to not TBH), and GloFo will be going full tilt on 12nm to supply Rome and Milan parts.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The talk of USB4 remained me that all the front ports on my case are USB 2.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

OhFunny posted:

That's the only reason I get a new case last rebuid. Then I got a monitor with 3.0 hub in it so I used the case ports ~twice for actual 3.0 things :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OhFunny posted:

Munkeymon posted:

That's the only reason I get a new case last rebuid.

If you have a case with USB 2 that you like and is still a decent case, it often isn't the most difficult mod to take apart the front panel and upgrade it to USB 3. All you need is a cheap 3.5" bay panel that looks like this, with the 2 individual connectors. Take those out of the panel and rig up whatever works to fix them where the USB 2 jacks are.

The only trouble is that in some cases they use a PCB that hooks up both usb and audio jacks, at which point you have to either desolder the USB 2 ports to fit the new ones, or just throw away the PCB if you don't care about front panel audio.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

In contrast, there's little reason to keep 12nm parts chugging along if you can push your old customers to move to Rome and Milan (the performance gains are too real to not TBH), and GloFo will be going full tilt on 12nm to supply Rome and Milan parts.

From general news articles I had the impression that 7nm is very tight on capacity versus 14/12, so I have a hard time imagining that GF is entirely occupied just producing IO dies? I figured that was why AMD was still producing 12nm zen in pretty decent volumes, for example the 1600AF as a 'new' product well after the 3000s came out.

I forgot about epyc though, that does mean the changeover wouldn't be nearly as fast.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Like, I guess, maybe? I think the I/O dies meet all contractual obligations with GloFo, I could be wrong. I'm not even sure why AMD would continue making Gen1 parts if they didn't have to, the demand for Gen1 is low and there is no way the DIY market would compel AMD to keep making them.

Like, what would AMD even continue to make on 12nm that's worth anyone's time? No one is going to be interested in 12nm RDNA2 or Zen2 I think, and that's also wasted time and money. Polaris is looking long in the tooth as well, you'd only need it to meet contractual obligations at this point. Uhh...chipsets with ASMedia?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Joking aside, I am more concerned over how, for the next two years or so, until USB4 products start showing up, the top-of-the-line laptops may very well be AMD-based, but not have Thunderbolt unless the OEM sticks a Titan Ridge chip in there.

And considering how hard it is to get Thunderbolt on desktop AMD platfroms as it stands... does not lead me to be optimistic.

It will be interesting to see what Apple does. Macbook would be a perfect use-case for a 4900H

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

Mine has a USB-C but its dead because the only way to plug it into a motherboard is with a $25 adapter. It's like a weird SATA cable design with an extra plastic corner

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry, about 64C maxed out with OCCT burn test. I am using a Noctua 140mm cooler, so i guess that helps. I ran HWinfo for 2ish days and this is what it shows:

It's not bad, but drat, I have a lot more thermal headroom.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

redeyes posted:

Yeah sorry, about 64C maxed out with OCCT burn test. I am using a Noctua 140mm cooler, so i guess that helps. I ran HWinfo for 2ish days and this is what it shows:

I think one of the long-term consequences of the ongoing Enermax fuckups is that a lot of people are realizing they don't really need an AIO, a fuckoff huge Noctua does really well too. And the enthusiasts who are buying those $4000 processors are "thought leaders" who chatter in tech forums and that kind of thing. I mean, if you can cool a 64C processor with a 140mm air cooler, why exactly do you need liquid for your baby 8C processor build?

Enermax isn't just killing their brand, they're basically killing the AIO market for all the other companies too.

It's been a long-term trend back towards air cooling over the last couple years but Enermax really isn't helping.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah but AIOs look cool so!!!

i mean that is literally why i bought one for my personal gaming computer. i went from a Dark Rock Pro 3 to a 280 AIO and i'm pretty sure the cooling was actually better on the air cooler, ha

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

yeah but AIOs look cool so!!!

i mean that is literally why i bought one for my personal gaming computer. i went from a Dark Rock Pro 3 to a 280 AIO and i'm pretty sure the cooling was actually better on the air cooler, ha

that or people who want ease of access or move their case around a lot and don't want a big heatsink torquing on their board, but yeah, it's reaching gimmick territory at this point, you don't do it for the cooling or the noise

I came into my office yesterday and pushed the button to turn my PC on. Whoops, I had left it turned on, the D15S is just that quiet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because air coolers did this weird brinksmanship thing around the beginning of the millenium where they just kept getting bigger and taller and heavier to beat out everyone else in the market until the point where delamination of the motherboard at or around the socket or other localized damage was a real concern.

And then Socket 370 and Socket A went away, and through-board mounting points became a thing, and processors did this thing where they started drawing less and less power, and now we don't have 300W CPUs unless someone has hosed up badly.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

USB4 with a new triangular connector that only works in one orientation

eames
May 9, 2009

IMO the main reason why AIO watercoolers gained so much mindshare is because they make prebuilt high-end PCs easier/safer to ship and the "large botique" (i know) manufacturers tend to invest a lot of money in marketing.

Almost nobody sells prebuilts with NH-D15s at scale because packaging and shipping would be a nightmare. It doesn't have to be that way but good luck changing the ATX spec.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 1, 2020

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because air coolers did this weird brinksmanship thing around the beginning of the millenium where they just kept getting bigger and taller and heavier to beat out everyone else in the market until the point where delamination of the motherboard at or around the socket or other localized damage was a real concern.

And then Socket 370 and Socket A went away, and through-board mounting points became a thing, and processors did this thing where they started drawing less and less power, and now we don't have 300W CPUs unless someone has hosed up badly.

Or unless someone really REALLY wants to move 200 Mhz farther right on that volts/hertz curve.

eames posted:

IMO the main reason why AIO watercoolers gained so much mindshare is because they make prebuilt high-end PCs easier/safer to ship and the "large botique" (i know) manufacturers tend to invest a lot of money in marketing.

Almost nobody sells prebuilts with NH-D15s at scale because packaging and shipping would be a nightmare.

I always thought it was because of case windows. An AIO looks a shitload sleeker than a gigantic aluminum cube with a fan on one side of it, especially given all the other poo poo motherboards do these days to look 2fast2furious. Being able to ship the unit fully assembled without worrying about the package monkeys in the warehouse flinging it down three flights of stairs and cracking the mobo in half also helps.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 1, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Y'all act like Instapak wasn't a thing, even back then.

It was a thing, even back then.

$3.72 per, in bulk. https://www.amazon.com/EcoBox-Inches-Instapak-Temperature-2030-1/dp/B00KAFU2WG/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 1, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm convinced AOIs became popular because they're another way for idiots to add RGB.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Y'all act like Instapak wasn't a thing, even back then.

It was a thing, even back then.

$3.72 per, in bulk. https://www.amazon.com/EcoBox-Inches-Instapak-Temperature-2030-1/dp/B00KAFU2WG/

I'm well aware these exist but they're not going to save a motherboard with a mounted NH-D15S when the whole unit is dropped from 3 feet height.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eames posted:

I'm well aware these exist but they're not going to save a motherboard with a mounted NH-D15S when the whole unit is dropped from 3 feet height.

Also you ever try to get one of those things out of the fins in a radiator without bending the poo poo out of it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That far back was also before heatpipes started getting put in heatsinks.

There was a 2-3 year stretch when watercooling first became a thing, it was plainly superior in both performance and noise. Back when people were using repurposed aquarium pumps and cobbled-together parts and part of the process was going to the home depot plumbing section. I did watercooling back then; I still have my swiftech block and pump in the bottom of my parts bin. I think a lot of the watercooling mystique dates back to those days when only the hyper-nerds were DIYing things and posting build logs on forums. It was cool, you could OC to the moon, and it was a thing to boast about.

I got on at just the wrong time, less than a year after I put my watercooling stuff together heatpipe coolers started becoming widely reviewed and were like holy poo poo good. whomp-whomp

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I always thought it was because of case windows. An AIO looks a shitload sleeker than a gigantic aluminum cube with a fan on one side of it, especially given all the other poo poo motherboards do these days to look 2fast2furious.

Yup, thats my theory too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I went to a custom loop solely for aesthetics. Performance isn't any better or worse than my previous Dark Rock Pro 4. GPU is better though

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I guess the moral of the story is AMD is awesome, AIO's are not awesome, and Noctua is awesome.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD is awesome, the average Asetek AIO is probably dead after three years anyways, Noctua has never not been awesome, it's why they can make fans the color that they cemented their branding on and people will swarm to buy them anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like my AMD Wraith Max cooler in my Plex server :3:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

yes but what are your temps while folding@home (not a trick to help the goon Folding Team #150)

Setset fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Huh, I had no idea aios were considered bad, I always thought they were just a progression from air coolers that everybody moved onto these days. I'm still sporting a big fat heatsink+fan. What's so bad about aios. I thought they were quieter and cooler.