Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Payed off the last of my student loans, woohoo!!!!

Unfortunately the wife has $60K+ left...

For those of you using YNAB for graphs, how do you count your house? I want my graphs to look nicer than they do, and have always debated do I just list the house as pure debt, which is what I do right now, or do I take the expected "value" of the house and use that minus the mortgage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
One account for the mortgage debt, one account for the appraised value of the house.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 3, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job on the loans.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Beach Bum posted:

One account for the Mortgage Debt, One account for the appraised value of the house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:toot: great job.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hell yeah!!

Beach Bum posted:

One account for the mortgage debt, one account for the appraised value of the house.

I just bought a house and this is what I did as well. I will probably end up changing the value of the house once a year based on what Zillow tells me, with the understanding that it is rough guess at best.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mad Wack posted:

one year later and now it's up 66%

these forums really helped me get my head on straight when it comes to managing money (also YNAB helped too)

another year, and things are chugging along nicely up 62% - we got a much bigger than expected tax bill after we married but luckily we had a big emergency fund to absorb it, also we were able to save for our wedding so we didn't go into debt but still had the wedding we wanted, of course all of this is somewhat muted by the market taking a huge dump too but we're 30 & 35 years from retirement respectively, so whatever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Paid off my car in full today, and a few months ahead of schedule at that :toot: Plus since I commute by train to work now, I'm putting so few miles on it per week that I could probably go a year or two until I need to buy a new one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

another year, and things are chugging along nicely up 62% - we got a much bigger than expected tax bill after we married but luckily we had a big emergency fund to absorb it, also we were able to save for our wedding so we didn't go into debt but still had the wedding we wanted, of course all of this is somewhat muted by the market taking a huge dump too but we're 30 & 35 years from retirement respectively, so whatever.

:toot:

C-Euro posted:

Paid off my car in full today, and a few months ahead of schedule at that :toot: Plus since I commute by train to work now, I'm putting so few miles on it per week that I could probably go a year or two until I need to buy a new one.

Call your insurance company and tell them this news if it's new in the last 12 months. You should be able to lower your estimated annual mileage. I'm down to under 8000 miles a year in aggregate between 2 adults and 3 cars. Fewer miles driven means less time exposed to collision/liability risk.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

H110Hawk posted:

:toot:

Call your insurance company and tell them this news if it's new in the last 12 months. You should be able to lower your estimated annual mileage. I'm down to under 8000 miles a year in aggregate between 2 adults and 3 cars. Fewer miles driven means less time exposed to collision/liability risk.

If the car is new in the last 12 months, or if this change in my driving habits is new in the last 12 months?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

C-Euro posted:

If the car is new in the last 12 months, or if this change in my driving habits is new in the last 12 months?

Change in driving habits. You said "now I commute by train" so I wasn't sure. When I moved to walking distance of work and now work from home it resulted in significant drops in my insurance payment. Commuting 150 miles a week drove it up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

H110Hawk posted:

Change in driving habits. You said "now I commute by train" so I wasn't sure. When I moved to walking distance of work and now work from home it resulted in significant drops in my insurance payment. Commuting 150 miles a week drove it up.

Oh yeah that makes sense, good looking out. I'll have to investigate...

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I only had take away once this week! For me, that is impressive. I will caveat that I also had one (1) canteen meal at work and one (1) Tesco meal deal with the duck sushi. All in 15quid spent on precooked food which is a personal best!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
WTF, duck sushi?

My little win for this past week was my laptop cracked wide open at the corner and I was pricing out new ones but I decided to try my hand at repairing since why not. Disassembling it was terrifying, so many little parts! Ten minutes of Youtube tutorials and $12 worth of epoxy and screwdrivers later, and now I am a Computer God. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

WTF, duck sushi?

My little win for this past week was my laptop cracked wide open at the corner and I was pricing out new ones but I decided to try my hand at repairing since why not. Disassembling it was terrifying, so many little parts! Ten minutes of Youtube tutorials and $12 worth of epoxy and screwdrivers later, and now I am a Computer God. :toot:

You are now officially a mid level IT person.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

H110Hawk posted:

You are now officially a mid level IT person.

Which means that everyone on Reddit who works in IT will show up shortly to explain that you're just a glorified computer janitor/toucher, that you don't really do IT, and that since you haven't kept learning 24/7 and working a homebrew Ubuntu honeypot in your basement, you are now an unemployable and useless old person.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Which means that everyone on Reddit who works in IT will show up shortly to explain that you're just a glorified computer janitor/toucher, that you don't really do IT, and that since you haven't kept learning 24/7 and working a homebrew Ubuntu honeypot in your basement, you are now an unemployable and useless old person.

They aren't wrong.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

They aren't wrong.
Yeah no gently caress off with this attitude.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah no gently caress off with this attitude.

It's a joke. Just like /r/sysadmin.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Yearly review=promotion with 15% raise, 12% cash bonus, $21k bonus in RSUs. Not gonna complain :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nur_Neerg posted:

Yearly review=promotion with 15% raise, 12% cash bonus, $21k bonus in RSUs. Not gonna complain :)

:toot: That's alotta bonus.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My work just redid their healthcare benefits and while our deductible is going up, my boss is covering it 100% through an HSA. I'm very fortunate to work for a good company.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been stressing out about a potential job loss (although unlikely as I work for a Utility, still a possibility) or dramatic salary cut so I hunkered down in YNAB and rebudgeted all of the goals I was saving for to build a 12 month warchest of Mortgage, Property Taxes, and Utilities. That gives up all of our vacations, kids travel soccer, and Christmas, but going into this crisis I feel as if any changes occur my family will push through and I can get by on UI or a low paying job to feed us.

Every month I don't get fired or salary reduced I'm throwing more money into the warchest. Peace of mind is nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's pretty much what my wife and I did, and we were fortunate that we made our last payment to U of M in March, which is the last month before I took a 15% salary deferral.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's pretty much what my wife and I did, and we were fortunate that we made our last payment to U of M in March, which is the last month before I took a 15% salary deferral.

I'm only 15 minutes north of UofM! Stay safe out there, expecting some significant weather tonight into tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear it was only a salary deferral, for those that budget properly that should have minimal impact since you'll get it one day.

I was thinking that we'd likely take a 10-20% salary cut temporarily, but recently my boss made a side comment about not spending our recent raise (which went into effect last week, surprised they didn't halt it) hinting that they may claw that back. If that's the only thing that they hit us with then we got off extremely easy.

Regardless, if this prolongs I'm not essential enough in my company that at some point I'll get impacted by a deep enough cut.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
oh word, you up in Whitmore Lake or thereabouts? Stay safe fellow michigoon and good luck with the job market. We had some crazy thunderstorms last night and the streets of Ann Arbor were like rivers.

My wife is of course graduating with a MBA and a MPP directly in to a horrible job market just like she did in undergrad in 2011! awesome!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh word, you up in Whitmore Lake or thereabouts? Stay safe fellow michigoon and good luck with the job market. We had some crazy thunderstorms last night and the streets of Ann Arbor were like rivers.

My wife is of course graduating with a MBA and a MPP directly in to a horrible job market just like she did in undergrad in 2011! awesome!

South Lyon, so just up Pontiac Trail.

The light show last night was awesome. My kids were up until 11 just oo-ing and ahh-ing at all of it.

Ann Arbor should bounce back quickly, in my opinion. But tough times indeed. Stay strong!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Thanks to trumpbux putting me over my savings goal, I just bought a really nice 3 year old off lease car straight cash. It’s taken a while to save up, but dumping a decent car payment into that savings ledger every month is the way to go.

we’re finally ahead of the maintenance curve when it comes to cars and their ages, both are 2017s with 44k and 36k, respectively. It’s gonna be nice not spending $2000+/yr in non-preventative maintenance on the one I’m getting rid of.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The 2 years I didn't have to do my own oil changes were fantastic. I just did the first one on my wife's Prius and it was so much easier thanks to the access panel and filter element (instead of dealing with a stuck on canister).

Maintenance is neverending, but if you do things on time and replace worn components before they fail it will cost less in the long run.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s a lot easier to stomach $2k/yr in unplanned maintenance when you paid cash for the car to begin with and made it to 186k before the turbo died. I’ll miss the wagon but the new car will soon make me forget!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Had to take $5k out of savings last spring due to unexpected tax, moving, and car repair costs all hitting within a five-week span. One year later and I've put all of that money back into savings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Had to take $5k out of savings last spring due to unexpected tax, moving, and car repair costs all hitting within a five-week span. One year later and I've put all of that money back into savings.

:toot: That's what the emergency fund is for!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Despite my life going to absolute poo poo over the past two years (resulting in me bailing on this subforum and my thread) I managed to pay off my car loan a couple years early between Trumpbux and somehow saving money in this pandemic despite mostly eating delivery food. I know someone is going to say the next step is not eating out, but honestly, my house should be condemned and my kitchen isn't fit for human use. Unfortunately, I was homeless before I found this place, and it's still a step up from homelessness.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Got both properties on 15 year mortgages now. It is kind of dumb/obvious, but I did not appreciate how much principal drops with a 15 year mortgage until I had one. Like, huge chunks every month.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

Got both properties on 15 year mortgages now. It is kind of dumb/obvious, but I did not appreciate how much principal drops with a 15 year mortgage until I had one. Like, huge chunks every month.

Three years into switching to 15 years and I'm paying down $550 a fortnight. One of my friends who works in banking was surprised at how small my mortgage is by comparison with the typical mortgages they are issuing.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Despite my life going to absolute poo poo over the past two years (resulting in me bailing on this subforum and my thread) I managed to pay off my car loan a couple years early between Trumpbux and somehow saving money in this pandemic despite mostly eating delivery food. I know someone is going to say the next step is not eating out, but honestly, my house should be condemned and my kitchen isn't fit for human use. Unfortunately, I was homeless before I found this place, and it's still a step up from homelessness.
You do what you can, where you are, with what you have. If getting a living space that affords you a more sustainable lifestyle is a future step instead of a present step, that's alright. Congratulations on making some progress all the same.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I'm hoping to move within a few months, I was going to be doing it earlier but then the whole COVID thing happened and apartment hunting and moving and everything seemed like a bad idea, especially immediately after a 20% paycut.

A friend of mine (and the only good roommate I've ever had) is going to be moving at the end of July and is looking for a roommate so we'll probably move in together, rent in Colorado is really expensive. If I can manage to keep working from home I can probably move to a lower CoL area too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I'm hoping to move within a few months, I was going to be doing it earlier but then the whole COVID thing happened and apartment hunting and moving and everything seemed like a bad idea, especially immediately after a 20% paycut.

A friend of mine (and the only good roommate I've ever had) is going to be moving at the end of July and is looking for a roommate so we'll probably move in together, rent in Colorado is really expensive. If I can manage to keep working from home I can probably move to a lower CoL area too.

Keep on your path, you're doing great. It never feels like it until one day you'll look back and see how far you came, one step at time. Keep making those steps forward and not backward and you'll get there. Excellent work!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Keep on your path, you're doing great. It never feels like it until one day you'll look back and see how far you came, one step at time. Keep making those steps forward and not backward and you'll get there. Excellent work!

This. If I look at my Net Worth graphs in the default 3mo span I feel like I'm getting little headway. Then I look at my year and

[Primary Checking vs all unsecured debt]

I sometimes feel like I've not been putting much away month-to-month, which subsequently makes it seem like I'm just treading water, but looking back, being able to take those triple paycheck months (and our year-in-advance tax credit) and socking the entire thing into the hole tells me I'm making headway.

Still hoping I can have this poo poo licked by the end of 2020. That would be real nice. I'm currently throwing at least $450/mo at this thing. That's just insane to me now. I could do so much with that. I mean, gently caress, that's another goddamn grocery bill, or a maxed IRA contribution. Hell, it's fifteen-goddamn-percent of my annual income.

I think more than anything, seeing that number at the top every time I open YNAB, that huge amount of dollars just going towards digging out of past bad decisions, it's like financial tinnitus, only eventually there's a cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

I think more than anything, seeing that number at the top every time I open YNAB, that huge amount of dollars just going towards digging out of past bad decisions, it's like financial tinnitus, only eventually there's a cure.

Friend, I’m throwing $2800 at my student loans per month and I think the same thing. They ultimately were good for me, but drat if it doesn’t hurt to see it every month. The full $110k will be paid off later this year though, so it’s taken a while, but I’m getting there.