Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Mate of mine installed a power shower on their lighting loop but got tired of it blowing the fuse so he soldered a spoon between the fuse contacts.

He wouldn't hear a word of it. And this guy does the maintenance on his own motorcycle, too.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1245469969284050945?s=21

Oh, well that’s reassuring

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Mate of mine installed a power shower on their lighting loop but got tired of it blowing the fuse so he soldered a spoon between the fuse contacts.

He wouldn't hear a word of it. And this guy does the maintenance on his own motorcycle, too.

He is the Ur-PO.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

TSB, sadly. If they have one of those machines in there, I'll use that, if not, I'm paying a builder.

They probably won't even flicker. I took out £4k to buy a bike (and this was in the 90s when the Ks were much bigger), leaving my account with like a tenner in it, and all they asked was if they didn't mind it mostly in 20s because they didn't have many 50s.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's almost like preventative measures were only put into place very recently, and the true number of cases was being underreported due to lack of testing, or something

I dunno I'm not a government minister or one of their advisors though. Or a journalist!!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Roughly when is it that the supermarkets open their next day's delivery slots?

We went on just after midnight and managed to book an Asda delivery for 2 weeks time. But there was also a random one for this Thursday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Talking of non-essential workers, eventually the press owners are going to realise they can replace the entire lobby with a speech-to-text bot reading from Whatsapp and save themselves loving millions.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
yeah until it publishes messages from Gibbo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

I like to think sparkies leave surprises like that as a form of Darwinism. Weed out the ones not paying attention.
It's probably because there's vertical conduits in the house that mean it takes 20 minutes less to just run a spur from the downstairs socket :effort:

Azza Bamboo posted:

I dislike every word of this and I've taped a circuit breaker in the up position because it kept cutting out before now.

I proved it was because the breaker was a piece of poo poo first and replaced it straight after.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

It's so loving wierd that the Daily Mail is presenting this as basically HIV where like The Test is some unending status when rona obviously is a very different thing practically speaking.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

Alternative solution: Order something pricey online like a new computer.

Make a sizeable donation to the UKMT Solidarity Fund.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wonder what brought this on? Google to stop supporting climate change denial companies claiming CV made them rethink.

https://agreenergoogle.com/

quote:

Today Google stops funding climate change deniers

Sundar Pichai
CEO of Google and Alphabet
Published April 1, 2020

In lieu of our normal April Fools’ joke, today we’re getting serious. Over the past few weeks, the world has come to a halt, our healthcare systems have been overwhelmed, and countless people are experiencing food and housing insecurity. This crisis has caused Google to reflect on how critical it is to respond to another global emergency: climate change. Today, we would like to announce a small step in that direction: we will stop our funding of organizations that deny or work to block action on climate change, effective immediately.

Our Story

For 21 years, Google’s mission has been to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. However, since 2013, we have funded think tanks, policy-makers, and lobbyists that supported strong technology policies, but also spread misinformation about climate change. Many of these organizations have actively worked to derail environmental protections, often successfully. Today, Google is ready to say that this is completely unacceptable, and we are declaring a zero tolerance policy for funding any entities that oppose aggressive actions to halt climate change.

We started out by parting ways with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) in 2014. After a hiatus, we now resume this journey by immediately ending our relationships with all climate change-denying groups, including:

The Competitive Enterprise Institute, which urged the Trump administration to withdraw from the Paris Accords,[1]
The American Enterprise Institute, which has called the climate crisis an "antihuman worldview,"[2]
Americans for Tax Reform, which has promoted the claim that the science behind climate change is manipulated by the agenda of liberal scientists,[3]
The Heritage Foundation and Heritage Action, which has called carbon dioxide something "insidious and ridiculous to regulate,"[4] and was also a main driver behind the withdrawal from the Paris Accords,
The American Conservative Union, whose chairman, Matt Schlapp, has vocally opposed climate measures like the EPA’s Clean Power Plan,[5]
The Cato Institute, which has opposed climate legislation, claiming that there is "ample time" to address the climate crisis,[6]
The Mercatus Center, which frequently opposes environmental regulations,[7] in one instance arguing that smog-free skies would result in more cases of skin cancer,[8]
The State Policy Network, launched by ALEC and the Heartland Institute,[9] the latter an extremist organization that claims "the global warming crisis is over", and that "there is no need to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and no point in attempting to do so".[10] They have also called for removing the Environmental Protection Agency, rolling back all environmental regulations and stopping the funding of the renewable energy sector.[11]

Our Apology

The COVID-19 pandemic has reverberated deeply at Google. It has forced us to recognize how, similar to climate change, ignoring the science about an emerging crisis can result in suffering on a global scale, disproportionately affecting the most vulnerable.

Therefore, Google would like to issue the following apologies, to our employees, our shareholders, our customers, and our users:

We apologize for putting profit over the planet by funding climate change deniers.
We apologize for stalling to take actions, even after our funding was brought to light.
We apologize for taking no responsibility over our sponsored parties' agenda. As our ex-chairman put it:
The facts of climate change are not in question anymore,... the people who oppose it are really hurting our children and our grandchildren and making the world a much worse place. And so we should not be aligned with such people — they're just, they're just literally lying.
Eric Schmidt, regarding our withdrawal from ALEC in 2014.

etc ...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

It's so loving wierd that the Daily Mail is presenting this as basically HIV where like The Test is some unending status when rona obviously is a very different thing practically speaking.

media Crusades are always a big thing for them, it's a way for them to keep relevant. There just needs to be OUTRAGE and FURY and claims that people are acting because some tabloid told them to, it's never been about accuracy (that kinda limits your options)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Lancet says the average time from infection until death is eighteen days, so we'll likely be on a steady exponential rise until early next week when the effects of the lockdown become apparent.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ it's still gonna be high because we've been underreporting cases by not testing. Either that or our mortality rate is like 7% instead of 1

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wonder what brought this on? Google to stop supporting climate change denial companies claiming CV made them rethink.

this virus (which isn't just something that affects the global south this time) is kinda like a dry run for things like climate change. like it seems a lot of people are suddenly discovering the realities of the way society is organised, how precarious everything is when conditions change, and there's a developing class consciousness where a lot more people are looking at billionaires and their companies and asking why they get to be safe and taken care of, why've they got everything? Why do people have to beg and shame the elon musks for a few crumbs when the world is falling over?

so yeah there's gonna be a lot of performative "we're all in this together, you guys" and I reckon there'll be a bunch of PR exercises to try and paint capitalists as actually the good guys, actually, who are in a position of responsibility and who are going to make sure we're all ok, you guys

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's because my mother booked a holiday using my account that's almost certainly going to be cancelled, and if it's refunded, it'll go back into my account. Except one of the conditions of my Carer's Allowance/Income Support is not having any more than £6k in savings, which the holiday being refunded would put me over.

So what should I tell them?

Your car died, you're buying a replacement. TBH, for that sort of money I've never been asked why I've wanted it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Oodles posted:

We went on just after midnight and managed to book an Asda delivery for 2 weeks time. But there was also a random one for this Thursday.

Mate of mine who's on the vulnerable people list had his Asda delivery cancelled last minute; fortunately he'd been keeping track of it, saw it was going to be mostly unavailable even if it had arrived, and made other arrangements. (Also I offered to do a shopping run for him), so do not depend on Asda.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Mate of mine who's on the vulnerable people list had his Asda delivery cancelled last minute; fortunately he'd been keeping track of it, saw it was going to be mostly unavailable even if it had arrived, and made other arrangements. (Also I offered to do a shopping run for him), so do not depend on Asda.

There are a few reports in the Heil finance pages :guillotine: of peoples' deliveries getting cancelled because when the supermarkets tried to take the money from the debit cards the bank he say no because 'suspicious activity' vulnerable people on a 12 week lockdown doing something unusual - ordering groceries online - causes the auto-fraud detector thing to kick in and by the time they answer the texts the delivery slot is lost.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i love the auto fraud detector. stops me buying steam games but not when someone emptied my account to buy petrol something i've never bought in a place i've never been to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

i love the auto fraud detector. stops me buying steam games but not when someone emptied my account to buy petrol something i've never bought in a place i've never been to.

I mustn't grumble - it's annoying when it kicks in, but one time it kicked in I was living abroad and someone had used my card number 3 x to get £79 from moneybookers on the same day - a site I have never used - and then the fraud thing blocked my card. This happened shortly (within 2 days) of me using my tablet (over my usual house network) to buy an airline ticket - the first and last time I will ever use a mobile phone or tablet to do anything involving money unless it becomes compulsory. Not convinced of the security of sites designed for mobiles.

:corsair:

(That was about 8 years ago now so I dare say things are more secure. Still, once bitten twice shy!)

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a faaaaakeee.The logo is extinction rebellion, it's one of their stunts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

that would explain why they tell you to join extinction rebellion at the end there

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I share your view of mobile devices and interfaces to be honest. I have my computer plugged directly into the router too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

UnquietDream posted:

April fools :D

(I did fall for it though. I just went through my history to see what I had done to get to it but nothing sprang to the eyes).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Lancet says the average time from infection until death is eighteen days, so we'll likely be on a steady exponential rise until early next week when the effects of the lockdown become apparent.
we don't have a true lockdown though just a half-hearted one which looks similar economically but the virus won't care. there'll be a slow down of infections, but it'll still be moving around the country. any attempts at removing the lockdown are pointless until all 'essential' movement is stopped - or everyone doing them gets infected/dies and the virus vanishes from all surfaces in the country. then we can't have any international movement for months either until this is globally eradicated (which is effectively never if we're not helping third world countries) / wide effective vaccine is deployed (year+ at least) / herd immunity (:rip:)

i mean i know which one the tories are wanting for Number but we're in this for the the very long haul and wuhan's only slowly starting to get back after an absolute lockdown. ultimately because no one wants to be honest with the public there's going to be a quiet reseed globally when these lockdowns are lifted prematurely, and everyone's going to act surprised when we go into lockdown mk2 maybe let's try this time

and the concept of an antibody test meaning you go back to work is comical. you're still be able to carry it from place to place, you just won't be incubating it - it'll still happily stick to your clothes and move from surface to surface

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

UnquietDream posted:

Yes, but the 'joke' is that Google hasn't stopped funding those shits, not that they never were.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Idc if it's ghoulish I think the UK would be better of if he got it and maybe died. or any other high profile journo. They might do their loving jobs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Certainly the cessasion of them tweeting might be better for the world generally than the presence of it.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Unkempt posted:

Yes, but the 'joke' is that Google hasn't stopped funding those shits, not that they never were.

Ah yes, gallows humour...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thousands of people are likely to die because only BuzzFeed actually do journalism instead of scolding on twitter

https://twitter.com/Richard_AHolmes/status/1245435680119033865?s=19

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It continues to bemuse me that BuzzFeed News and Vice News (as opposed to their entertainment verticals) are legitimately doing better reporting than most legacy media these days.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Noxville posted:

Oh, well that’s reassuring

Yeah that's not a fun graph. We've overtaken italy and there's still several days until the delayed effect of the lockdown. When was boris' strong leadership announcement to not go to cafes but not close the cafes but not go to them if you like if you feel like it, the massive effect that must have had should be coming along any day now any day now any day

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1245466314665271298

E: the second graph i mean specifically, these twitter embeds and their inclusion of the last reply

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angepain posted:

Yeah that's not a fun graph. We've overtaken italy and there's still several days until the delayed effect of the lockdown. When was boris' strong leadership announcement to not go to cafes but not close the cafes but not go to them if you like if you feel like it, the massive effect that must have had should be coming along any day now any day now any day

Don't forget "we're closing pubs at midnight on a Friday and not right now so the clear implication here is that you can all go and have one last jolly down the local like a good old chicken pox party"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Obviously China didn’t actually bio-engineer this virus, but they’re probably kicking themselves for not having thought of doing so earlier. You couldn’t imagine a situation that paints China in a better light and hobbles its adversaries as well. The Coronavirus is like an organism genetically designed to showcase how incompetent Western governments have become and how broken Neoliberalism is.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't know anyone who trusts China's numbers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't fuckin trust ours so at worst they're on an equal footing with our shower of shits

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Or maybe state capitalism is best capitalism.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bardeh posted:

I'd legit go and pick some strawbs at the farm near my house (apparently 400 quid a week if you're decent at it) but my boss says we're not allowed under our furlough conditions.

i'm pretty sure being furloughed at one job is not impacted at all by you taking on another job if you wanted to.

Check it to be sure, but I'm fairly sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

i'm pretty sure being furloughed at one job is not impacted at all by you taking on another job if you wanted to.

Check it to be sure, but I'm fairly sure.

To be more specific, check your contract for any clauses prohibiting you for having other employment. Assuming theres nothing there then you're all good. Don't forget though that that £400 is gonna be quite a bit less net as you won't have a tax free allowance on your second job.

Now, if you can somehow get furloughed from your second job too you win at late stage capitalism.