Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Companies love open office plans because they're cheap.

Just wait until they figure out how cheap it is to force everybody to work from home and not buy office space in major metro areas at all.

My company figured this out already and was already in the process of terminating leases. The olds are really the only thing holding this back at this point. The olds want butts in the seats.

I drove past the Verizon campus the other day. 285 million dollars to be in a dallas burb. Who knows how many millions on top of that just to keep butts in the seats. Once the less olds see the $$ they can put in their pocket they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Be careful what you wish for though - if somebody currently manages their staff by observing them sat in their seat with something that looks like work on their screen then they will expect to be able to extend that to a WFH scenario.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Be careful what you wish for though - if somebody currently manages their staff by observing them sat in their seat with something that looks like work on their screen then they will expect to be able to extend that to a WFH scenario.

I don't see things changing in this respect. Companies/managers that only judge work by when people are at their desks and have an Excel spreadsheet open will still continue to do that. Intelligent companies/managers that hire smart people and judge their work by, y'know, the end product and how well/quickly that's generated will continue to judge it like that.

Basically, do your best not to work for lovely managers that don't treat you like an adult capable of setting his/her own goals and getting work done without someone staring over your shoulder.

I've never been a real manager but I would also presume that a good manager doesn't have time to be doing that poo poo anyway.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I might have first seen this in this thread, but even so bears sharing again:

Gitlab's Guide to All-Remote
https://about.gitlab.com/company/culture/all-remote/guide/

It spells out everything needed for the culture shift and how to make it work. Unfortunately, some of the linchpins are hard to find at an average work environment: rigorous documentation, asynchronous tasking, flexible hours

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hi there, I'm a high level executive at a large company. Did someone say flexible hours? Zounds! That means I can schedule meetings at all hours. Exemplary! If I'm working, you're working (and my idea of working is a conference call where I ask you "where are we at on this" every 10 minutes).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Doesn't sound very flexible to me

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Oh nice I'm getting directly @'d in slack blaming me 'you made a change that broke our customers ability to deploy their service.' because of a commit I made in september 18th 2019.

cool.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol this place is so loving hostile.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd say walk but, walk once this is all over. That's loving ridiculous.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

My VP jumped on a emergency call Saturday night and yelled at this other companies VP. I think they were both drunk.

It was cool

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We just celebrated someones birthday on Teams video where the birthday person bought and ate a piece of cake on their own and we all clapped. If this is the future of workplaces, I'm out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It’s not the future of workplaces, it’s just a bunch of people coping as best they can with being constantly on the edge of a mental breakdown.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

It’s not the future of workplaces, it’s just a bunch of people coping as best they can with being constantly on the edge of a mental breakdown.

Yes, I realize that, it was a joke.

I really miss being in an office - this whole WFH period has confirmed I will never ever take a remote job, ever.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

We just celebrated someones birthday on Teams video where the birthday person bought and ate a piece of cake on their own and we all clapped. If this is the future of workplaces, I'm out.

I routinely each lunch with my remote team over zoom.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, I realize that, it was a joke.

I really miss being in an office - this whole WFH period has confirmed I will never ever take a remote job, ever.

MODERATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE JOKES

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

On the flip side of that. I'm attempting to eat my entire birthday cake by myself.

It's going pretty well so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

MODERATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE JOKES

Well, it’s less “allowed” and more “incapable”

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On the flip side of that. I'm attempting to eat my entire birthday cake by myself.

I believe in you

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm starting to get the feeling that the great new job offer, which I've accepted, is going to get rescinded due to all this craziness. Only good thing is that I was slow playing my current job and haven't yet put my notice. Bad thing is that my current job and team is the worst, and it looks like I'll be here for the foreseeable future.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Happy birthday!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shut up Meg posted:

Happy birthday!

Yes! Happy birthday!

We actually got a “good job” email from upper IT management today. We’re keeping most projects on time and our infrastructure is handing the increase in wfh resources without issue. The company is doing well too, orders still coming in, demand for our products is actually up a little.

Gives me a little hope I can ride this out with my job intact.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shut up Meg posted:

Happy birthday!

It was like 2 weeks ago. That cake is getting long in the tooth.
But thanks!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It was like 2 weeks ago. That cake is getting long in the tooth.
But thanks!

2 weeks!?
I'd polish that sumbitch off in 2 days.

I'm already eyeing up the Easter eggs I bought for people I'm now not going to be seeing at Easter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had a referral from another department today on the basis of, 'mllaneza scripts, maybe he can help'. I emailed the person and said I hear you're looking to do X, I have a script that does Y, is that close ? They said yes, so I threw a copy of Y on the gitlab server I'm building.

I'm helping !

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

So I was promoted 2 weeks before my back-fill was supposed to start. Back-fill who we had been expecting for over two months.

Apparently said back-fill hadn't signed anything yet, and we have a hiring freeze now, so I'm somehow trapped between my old role and the new one.

God damnit.

I also hope that the person who was supposed to start didn't put their two weeks in, because that would suck for them.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Heffer posted:

I might have first seen this in this thread, but even so bears sharing again:

Gitlab's Guide to All-Remote
https://about.gitlab.com/company/culture/all-remote/guide/

It spells out everything needed for the culture shift and how to make it work. Unfortunately, some of the linchpins are hard to find at an average work environment: rigorous documentation, asynchronous tasking, flexible hours

We're doing basically the opposite of all their recommendations. Good poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody got any suggestions for online training during this quarantine? Our director wants us to "make sure we are doing 8 hours of work" each day and if we are not actively helping users, she wants us to be doing online training. My boss and I don't really know what would be super applicable to us, since we mainly do deskside support and other generalist work. I'm asking if I can count my degree coursework as part of that training directive, since I'm spending about 10 hours a week doing school work and lectures.

I asked if the department would pay for a subscription of CBT Nuggets, but I haven't heard anything back on that. I think it's pretty reasonable to ask that they cover training costs if they're insisting that we do it to stay busy. I guess I'll work on something like MCSA, but like I said that doesn't really apply closely to our deskside support role.

I think if our ticket counts are low it means we're adequately addressing user needs and have training the professors well in advance of going to full online learning. But I guess the higher ups still want us to show "productivity" to make sure we're not slacking off at home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm the admin assistant who reports problems an executive is happening (which are user error and not actually problems) with priority URGENT but says the exec is too busy to be helped.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Anybody got any suggestions for online training during this quarantine? Our director wants us to "make sure we are doing 8 hours of work" each day and if we are not actively helping users, she wants us to be doing online training. My boss and I don't really know what would be super applicable to us, since we mainly do deskside support and other generalist work. I'm asking if I can count my degree coursework as part of that training directive, since I'm spending about 10 hours a week doing school work and lectures.

I asked if the department would pay for a subscription of CBT Nuggets, but I haven't heard anything back on that. I think it's pretty reasonable to ask that they cover training costs if they're insisting that we do it to stay busy. I guess I'll work on something like MCSA, but like I said that doesn't really apply closely to our deskside support role.

I think if our ticket counts are low it means we're adequately addressing user needs and have training the professors well in advance of going to full online learning. But I guess the higher ups still want us to show "productivity" to make sure we're not slacking off at home.

If they dont want to pay for CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight you should be able to get access to LinkedIns Lynda through your library membership or even your school.

The MCSA is good knowledge for sure but know that the certification is being phased out relatively soon by Microsoft so if you plan to take it I would hurry. Personally I'm studying for the CISSP right now using the MF Prod videos on youtube and so far they're great.

You are absolutely right on the last bit. If users are taken care of quickly then you are doing your job. Productivity doesn't necessarily need to be tracked through ticket closures. If they want some proof you aren't slacking off they can pay for you to take a certification to prove your knowledge you've gained

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Now I'm the doctor who uses the 2009 MacBook they probably used in medical school and refuse to replace because they are a cheap dick but also drives an $90,000 Porsche

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shut up Meg posted:

2 weeks!?
I'd polish that sumbitch off in 2 days.

I'm already eyeing up the Easter eggs I bought for people I'm now not going to be seeing at Easter.

I can't really mix sweets with beer, and I much prefer beer.

In other news, I spent like 3 hours on the phone with the Mayor trying to get his skype for business all configured for remote council meetings. So that was fun.
Like 15 minutes of it was actually getting his skype configured. The rest was him going on an anti-Microsoft rant and being a typical lawyer about 'right to privacy' and "HOW DO I GIT RID OF THESE LITTLE BOXES NEXT TO EVERYONE'S NAME?!?!"

"Those little boxes" are the presence indicators in Outlook. When I explained that he went full-on :tinfoil: and it was all downhill from there.

All of this is fine, but then he had to send an email to the city manager telling him what an exemplary job I did making sure he would be set up in a place that had decent sound and wi-fi connection to conduct the meeting and suggesting he remove the pictures from the wall so the camera doesn't try to track and focus on them instead of him and so on...

Which would have been fine if the city manager didn't forward that email to like 6 other people. That email spread like the corona virus until it made its way to my boss and now I'm sure I'm gonna hear an earful about spending too much time on the phone with him to get his skype set up :sigh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How the hell could it possibly be bad that you got praise from the loving mayor of your city for doing a good job?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

George H.W. oval office posted:

How the hell could it possibly be bad that you got praise from the loving mayor of your city for doing a good job?

My thought, too.

Not only good for the career, surely a personal friendship with the mayor is a good thing? (I don;t know what power your mayor has, but surely it's good for free parking or meeting Batman or similar?)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

My thought, too.

Not only good for the career, surely a personal friendship with the mayor is a good thing? (I don;t know what power your mayor has, but surely it's good for free parking or meeting Batman or similar?)

YOU COULD GET THE KEY TO THE CITY

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

George H.W. oval office posted:

"We don't wear capes because we aren't superheros." is a phrase uttered frequently by my boss. Which roughly translates to "The boss is the only person who should be receiving recognition for anything done by 'THE TEAM'
Also, we are not expected to act as individuals but as a part of 'THE TEAM' and as such we are expected to parrot the rhetoric of 'THE TEAM' which is really just the edicts of the boss.

He won't admit that he doesn't like individuals on the team receiving praise instead of him. Instead he will find some other way to usurp my accomplishments such as focusing on the fact that it took a 3 hour phone call to get one single person set up on skype.

Incidentally, if you all are having trouble with anyone's microphone not working, despite having the correct drivers and no problems as far as windows is concerned, CHECK WINDOWS PRIVACY SETTINGS.
It took me a hot minute to realize that he had denied every program access to use his microphone.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao what a hellscape of a workplace.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Podima posted:

Lmao what a hellscape of a workplace.

Seriously. Every time I read one of their posts I'm like "why the gently caress do you do anything at work?"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"We don't wear capes because we aren't superheros." is a phrase uttered frequently by my boss. Which roughly translates to "The boss is the only person who should be receiving recognition for anything done by 'THE TEAM'
Also, we are not expected to act as individuals but as a part of 'THE TEAM' and as such we are expected to parrot the rhetoric of 'THE TEAM' which is really just the edicts of the boss.

He won't admit that he doesn't like individuals on the team receiving praise instead of him. Instead he will find some other way to usurp my accomplishments such as focusing on the fact that it took a 3 hour phone call to get one single person set up on skype.

Incidentally, if you all are having trouble with anyone's microphone not working, despite having the correct drivers and no problems as far as windows is concerned, CHECK WINDOWS PRIVACY SETTINGS.
It took me a hot minute to realize that he had denied every program access to use his microphone.

Today I learnt a new definition for the word 'micropenis'.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Sepist posted:

We just got the news that we're getting a 22% pay cut to be revisited in July, but it's expected to last until 2021 :( We're pretty healthy financially since most of our MRR is from large banks, but our sales pipeline has completely disappeared
That happened with my work a few weeks back - CEO announced a pay cut then the next day laid off a huge chunk of the development team, including several people who were the only ones that knew how to do what they did. Tanked it for fun, probably so they can shut it all down later after letting the untouched sales team wring out what money they can.

I lost my job in that layoff and started applying immediately but everything I had heard back from before has gone this route:

The Fool posted:

Job I posted about earlier, that last week assured me they were still going to make an offer: Woke up this morning to an e-mail telling me that all external hiring has been frozen.

Making friends with recruiters and watching the rent money dry up. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

If it helps your dilemma, Pluralsight is free for April.