Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

It matters who is president

You're squarely in the Trump demographic right, are all your like peers chuds most of my coworkers are lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

shovelbum posted:

It's going to become endemic in the US and basically isolate us forever

This is what's going to actually happen.

Just like how relief workers going off to africa need to get a malaria shot, anybody who goes to the US for some poverty tourism will have strict guidelines around vaccination and decontamination upon return.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

You're squarely in the Trump demographic right, are all your like peers chuds most of my coworkers are lol

Nah. They're mostly center-left.

*cue the HoTtEsT of tAkEs*

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Nah. They're mostly center-left.

*cue the HoTtEsT of tAkEs*

Lol better than straight up chuds for sure if only less irritating

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Methanar posted:

This is what's going to actually happen.

Just like how relief workers going off to africa need to get a malaria shot, anybody who goes to the US for some poverty tourism will have strict guidelines around vaccination and decontamination upon return.

Its why I dont plan to return unless a safe vaccine is invented, the US is gonna lose a huge chunk of its population over this and have the disease be everywhere

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

shovelbum posted:

They controlled the virus with an even more inept and late start to their response than we did

I agree.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nurge posted:

Who contracts it is really utterly irrelevant. It's about who goes to the ICU and who dies.

Do you think the 1.5% of 0-18 year olds will be filling up the ICU at a greater rate that the 60% of 50+ year olds?

I'm going out on a limb here but couldn't you postulate that if only 1.5% of 0-18 year olds are actually catching it then they're unlikely to form a large part of the ICU cases or deaths.

So not really irrelevant at all.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Illuminti posted:

Do you think the 1.5% of 0-18 year olds will be filling up the ICU at a greater rate that the 60% of 50+ year olds?

I'm going out on a limb here but couldn't you postulate that if only 1.5% of 0-18 year olds are actually catching it then they're unlikely to form a large part of the ICU cases or deaths.

So not really irrelevant at all.

That's basically impossible though. If that's actually the case it would indeed be something worthy of study, but I seriously doubt it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Blitter posted:

Well..

Indeed

:(

I’m not saying that we in the US are not hosed, but you might want to check out coronavirus deaths per capita, dude.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
People are already beginning to starve in India, and many don't have clean water in their apartments, and previously relied on water delivery which is now banned by their lockdown. There are 1.3 Billion people in India.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/world/asia/coronavirus-india-lockdown.html

https://www.pri.org/file/2020-04-01/covid-19-triggers-mass-migration-india

Even if you don't "subscribe" to the NY Times' reporting (so to speak) and/or NPR, you would probably agree that a humanitarian crisis is imminent or already taking place in India. Its got me pretty worried :smith:

I found this charity that has a good rating (on Charity Navigator, which is another website I had previously never heard of, so whatever that's worth) and that appears to distribute funds globally.I can't actually vouch for it in any way so ... I am in the market for reputable Charities that go directly to India if anyone knows of any.

https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/coronavirus-relief-fund/

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an interesting article looking at the contact/droplet vs airborne debate:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852

TLDR: That distinction was made back in 1930 to describe TB transmission and hasn't really been updated since. Recent study of sneezes/coughs show that they form a warm, humid cloud of droplets of various sizes, traveling up to 23-27 feet and depositing droplets along the way.

Of note, virus particles were found in the ventilation systems of COVID19 rooms when they tested for it in China

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916924

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nurge posted:

Well. I mean. That's still quite a lot honestly. But either way it's kind of pointless to worry about. If you practice good hygiene you're pretty unlikely to die from it.

Good hygiene, but no masks. :thunk:

Who needs condoms when the rhythm method exists? Only 0.0001% of couples could use condoms correctly, am I right?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Good hygiene, but no masks. :thunk:

Who needs condoms when the rhythm method exists? Only 0.0001% of couples could use condoms correctly, am I right?

Masks don't prevent you from contracting it, which is jesus christ whatever just do whatever you want

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

what the gently caress

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Here's an interesting article looking at the contact/droplet vs airborne debate:

TLDR: That distinction was made back in 1930 to describe TB transmission and hasn't really been updated since. Recent study of sneezes/coughs show that they form a warm, humid cloud of droplets of various sizes, traveling up to 23-27 feet and depositing droplets along the way.

Of note, virus particles were found in the ventilation systems of COVID19 rooms when they tested for it in China

didn't they also have a contact trace in a completely locked down apartment complex where it passed through a leaky sewer gas pipe from an infected quarantined family and infected a dude 4 floors up through an air vent, therefore proving once and for all that we all definitely routinely eat each other's poo poo

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

didn't they also have a contact trace in a completely locked down apartment complex where it passed through a leaky sewer gas pipe from an infected quarantined family and infected a dude 4 floors up through an air vent, therefore proving once and for all that we all definitely routinely eat each other's poo poo

That was SARS1 back in 2003, but yeah. No reason this couldn't do the same, it's also found in the feces of COVID19 patients for weeks lol

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Sounds like the thing we really needed to mask was our buttholes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thatguy posted:

That was the Amoy Gardens cluster of SARS cases in 2003, and it also travelled through at least sixty metres of open air between apartment blocks.

The upwind apartment had dozens of cases for days with the hosed-up sewer situation, so it’s not exactly comparable to “someone across the street had a cough”, but still bad.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nurge posted:

Masks don't prevent you from contracting it
you should explain this instead of just asserting that its The Truth

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sucrose posted:

I’m not saying that we in the US are not hosed, but you might want to check out coronavirus deaths per capita, dude.

That'll be an interesting statistic to check after the current pandemic is over but comparing those numbers right now when we're only at the start of it is really really pointless. The USA is currently sitting at 15 deaths per 1 million population, if they eventually hit the 100k to 240k minimum the White House has predicted that'll increase to somewhere between 305 to 733 per million, and there's every chance it'll go even higher. Is that going to be better or worse than other countries? There's no way of telling right now and it'd be pretty pointless to speculate.

gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 2, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

:stare:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Nurge posted:

Masks don't prevent you from contracting it, which is jesus christ whatever just do whatever you want
Go tell the healthcare workers in The Goon Doctor. I’m sure they’ll be thrilled to hear that their inability to get masks doesn’t matter anyway.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

That was SARS1 back in 2003, but yeah. No reason this couldn't do the same, it's also found in the feces of COVID19 patients for weeks lol

I found it, this was within the same building

https://www.kcra.com/article/can-the-coronavirus-spread-through-bathroom-pipes-experts-are-investigating-in-hong-kong/30894774

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I agree.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Save us Elon

https://twitter.com/evdefender/status/1245288438728966146?s=19

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

:stonk:

We are so hosed.

Good luck 50s girl groupon.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

Stop replying to Nurge you loving morons

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

frogge posted:

:stonk:

We are so hosed.

Good luck 50s girl groupon.

even if she survives she's minus one lung :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elon is such a rookie.

Spend the extra eight hundred so you can say that you donated over one million dollars of ventilators (that aren’t actually ventilators).

Also, remember when Musk and LAX had that spat on Twitter? LAX was right LOL.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

thank you BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress, this is good info

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

even if she survives she's minus one lung :(
it might just be a piece of the lung and i hope thats it but that is still awful

people still speculating about what happens when we will reach capacity for our medical care are living in the past. our capacity for treating everything has diminished from the thin line it was already at

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

The Scientist posted:

People are already beginning to starve in India, and many don't have clean water in their apartments, and previously relied on water delivery which is now banned by their lockdown. There are 1.3 Billion people in India.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/world/asia/coronavirus-india-lockdown.html

https://www.pri.org/file/2020-04-01/covid-19-triggers-mass-migration-india

Even if you don't "subscribe" to the NY Times' reporting (so to speak) and/or NPR, you would probably agree that a humanitarian crisis is imminent or already taking place in India. Its got me pretty worried :smith:

I found this charity that has a good rating (on Charity Navigator, which is another website I had previously never heard of, so whatever that's worth) and that appears to distribute funds globally.I can't actually vouch for it in any way so ... I am in the market for reputable Charities that go directly to India if anyone knows of any.

https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/coronavirus-relief-fund/

I wish I had the article but the developing world is going to be in bad shape because all the major countries of the world are shut down and don’t have resources or medical personnel to spare like normal.

I wonder what India’s real numbers are? The US already has 100K cases now and our population is 300 million. India has 1.3 billion people and they are crammed up. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have more cases then the US by now.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
maybe the lung is just the darkest dankest of april fools jokes

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
love to be that guy still arguing about how masks dont work when countries where masks are prevalent have maybe over 100 cases in three months and a face mask is the minimum PPE against the virus

might as well be trying to convince everybody that its just the flu and not worth shutting down the economy or practice social distancing

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Wouldn’t we be in pretty bad shape if a giant chunk of the country simultaneously got “just the flu” anyway?

I mean, flu season is generally spread out over a bunch of months. And the flu sucks so much that we vaccinate against it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DropsySufferer posted:

I wonder what India’s real numbers are? The US already has 100K cases now and our population is 300 million. India has 1.3 billion people and they are crammed up. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have more cases then the US by now.

I'm pretty sure even many years from now there will still be massive questions over what the really numbers were in many developing countries. But yeah what ever it is it's probably really depressing. :(

(as The Scientist said, if a good charity is found to help out people in India dealing with this, please do everyone!)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

dr_rat posted:

I'm pretty sure even many years from now there will still be massive questions over what the really numbers were in many developing countries. But yeah what ever it is it's probably really depressing. :(

(as The Scientist said, if a good charity is found to help out people in India dealing with this, please do everyone!)

There will be massive questions over what the real numbers were in the United States since our testing is just so loving' substandard in so many places. Got a headache and the sniffles? Go home, fucko, no test for you! Got a sore throat but no fever? gently caress you! Gasping for air and running a 104F fever? Well, we'd test you, if we had any but we don't, sorry.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i wanna see dr trump prescribe this to america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This man has no rear end.