Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Why is it so hard to believe that China was both extremely, brutally effective in its handling of the outbreak and also willing to fudge the numbers?

I believe that they were basically transparent during the worst of the outbreak, because it didn't hurt them to acknowledge the reality when they were actively being seen as taking aggressive action to combat the spread of the virus. They did, however, quietly announce recently that despite their widespread testing, their figures have not accounted for asymptomatic cases up until basically this week.

But where they have a major incentive to fudge the numbers -- and where, mark my words, Western governments will do the same -- is in the current phase, when the curve has been flattened and there is an ambient eagerness for everyone to get back to work and normal life. Again, given the abovementioned fact that they were not tracking or quantifying asymptomatic cases, it is impossible to imagine that active cases are as few as the government claims.

This has also been fleetingly confirmed by snippets of information coming out that the same mechanisms that inhibited initial action -- local officials wanting to cover up the spread in order not to hurt their economic quotas -- has again kicked in, with the result that some areas are reporting more honestly than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hodges confuses me because I genuinely didn't think a human could be so utterly, wilfully stupid and entirely lacking in self awareness. Like, if someone was just showing me half his takes without a name attached I'd think it was some hyper ironic meta shitposting. Even the craziest of the commentariat occasionally show some basic - if sneery and brainwormed - capacity for reflection, or at least argue obtusely enough that they can insist they're just far too smart to be understood by commoners such as ourselves. Dan though just cheerfully spouts steaming take after steaming take, gets dunked on relentlessly, and just seems to completely brush it off. Doesn't even get mad at people afaik, just earnestly continues making dumb already discredited points while never bothering to back much up at all. It's almost impressive. He's occasionally even weirdly self-deprecating about everyone thinking he's insane. I do wonder sometimes if he's just a huge troll and this is performance art.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 2, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Somehow managing an exponential curve on a log graph is quite a feat, good work boris

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1245626382027067392?s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Hodges confuses me because I genuinely didn't think a human could be so utterly, wilfully stupid and entirely lacking in self awareness. Like, if someone was just showing me half his takes without a name attached I'd think it was some hyper ironic meta shitposting. Even the craziest of the commentariat occasionally show some basic - if sneery and brainwormed - capacity for reflection, or at least argue obtusely enough that they can insist they're just far too smart to be understood by commoners such as ourselves. Dan though just cheerfully spouts steaming take after steaming take, gets dunked on relentlessly, and just seems to completely brush it off. Doesn't even get mad at people afaik, just earnestly continues making dumb already discredited points while never bothering to back much up at all. It's almost impressive. He's occasionally even weirdly self-deprecating about everyone thinking he's insane. I do wonder sometimes if he's just a huge troll and this is performance art.

I imagine he’s like one of those PR people for big tobacco or oil, happy to be evil and/or look like an idiot because he’s paid to by people who don’t want to look like that but certainty think the same way

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Danger - Octopus! posted:

c) issue everyone with a government mandated job like you're a Soviet state?

i mean really they should probably be thinking of "conscripting" as many furloughed workers as possible into working for the public sector, with their employers continuing to pay their wages during this time. gonna need lots of porters, cleaners, non-emergency ambo drivers, delivery drivers, supply chain staff, labourers etc in the months ahead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

I imagine he’s like one of those PR people for big tobacco or oil, happy to be evil and/or look like an idiot because he’s paid to by people who don’t want to look like that but certainty think the same way
But everyone at Spiked! On Line is willing to do that for cheaper.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
How are these loving idiots surprised about hundreds of thousands of people claiming bennies a couple weeks after the entire loving country ground to a halt? What did they THINK was going to happen? A child of seven could have predicted this.
Is everybody supposed to quietly starve to death?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No the rich aren't

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bardeh posted:

My boss specifically wrote in the letter informing me of my furlough that the conditions of the furlough meant I wasn't allowed to take on another job. I'll have to check my original contract, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't allow for other employment. I will have a chat to him anyway and see what he says.

Put it to him that it is your patriotic duty to go and pick strawberries and he'll be supporting 'the war effort' if he gives you permission.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

communism bitch posted:

How are these loving idiots surprised about hundreds of thousands of people claiming bennies a couple weeks after the entire loving country ground to a halt? What did they THINK was going to happen? A child of seven could have predicted this.

i think a lot of journalists simply don't know how to cover actual news, but a benefits panic narrative suits them fine because they can luxuriate in the inside baseball/whitehall gossip trash and breathlessly cite their beloved insiders and sources, which is all they're really good for. so pretending to be shocked by this creates a justification to cover it.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 2, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

communism bitch posted:

As far as journalists are concerned the country hasn't ground to a halt because they can just work from home in their job of copying and pasting tweets into articles

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MeinPanzer posted:

Why is it so hard to believe that China was both extremely, brutally effective in its handling of the outbreak and also willing to fudge the numbers?

Because a sizeable chunk of the people who are critical of China are also racists and rabidly anticommunist, they skip straight to conspiracy theories about heaps of funeral urns and cancelled phone plans to justify calls for China to issue reparations (spoilers : it's not Xi Jinping who would be getting hosed over by this).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Although I guess people losing their jobs when companies shut down are still going to be seen as workshy shirkers by Tories, aren't they? So I assume this will be slowly setting up telling people that if they don't "volunteer" for farming jobs that there aren't migrant workers to do, no benefits for you?

Tory self-employed friend - in a job she is 100% able to do from home - making a lot of noise about support for self-employed. Then Sunak comes out with his plan, but no money til June.

"Oh, that's ok" she says "June is better than nothing, and anyway all self-employed are recommended to have a contingency fund"
"Fair enough - if you have been earning enough before to build one up but in my area many self-employed people lost over a month's work already this year because of the flooding"
"Oh, that's too bad. But trade associations are helping out."
(I googled and found very little evidence of this except in one particular field, also how many painters & decorators, home salon services etc are in associations?) .
So, essentially, tory friend is "I'm alright now and it's the other self-employed peoples' fault that they're not".
This is the point at which I decided to stay off facebook for a while!(Been off over a week now).

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Tell you what, forget my previous post. I've since seen this, and have decided that Peston is just an obnoxiously thick stooge after all:

https://twitter.com/DrJamesKent3/status/1245567843770470400?s=20

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't think China responded well to a lot of the initial virus stages, and I am sure the stats are wrong because all stats are wrong until at least a few months after the fact, but the sheer casual racism that you see in a lot of places about this is both really dispiriting and unsurprising.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Look at what Korea have got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun3XtKc1u0

Meanwhile we've managed to test 2000 of our half a million+ frontline NHS workers lmao

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 2, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

Has it been announced they're going to staff the new hospitals?

They're raiding the staff from the North-East London hospitals - so places like Barts. It's more beds but the same number of staff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol peston is trying to hide with this now

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1245629229619793921?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kassad posted:

Because a sizeable chunk of the people who are critical of China are also racists and rabidly anticommunist, they skip straight to conspiracy theories about heaps of funeral urns and cancelled phone plans to justify calls for China to issue reparations (spoilers : it's not Xi Jinping who would be getting hosed over by this).

Do these people not realise that China is powerful enough that they could respond to any attempt to strongarm reparations out of them by shrugging and saying 'make us lol', we've come a long way from the 60s

Answers Me posted:

Tell you what, forget my previous post. I've since seen this, and have decided that Peston is just an obnoxiously thick stooge after all:

https://twitter.com/DrJamesKent3/status/1245567843770470400?s=20

Jfc all he had to do was say cool you're the expert please explain I've obviously misunderstood when he was first cut off, and he wouldn't even have come off that badly. Why the gently caress do these people act like this.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 2, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

BBC posted:

China has approved the use of bear bile to treat critically ill coronavirus patients.

The National Health Commission has recommended the use of Tan Re Qing - an injection that contains bear bile, goat horn and herbs - to treat patients with Covid-19.

But there is no evidence the mixture has any medicinal value.

Bear bile, which is produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder, has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for hundreds of years and fetches a high price in the illegal international market.

The move to approve its use has angered animal rights activists and comes just weeks after the country banned the sale of wild animals for food.

Yep, that'll do it, good job guys.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I don't think China responded well to a lot of the initial virus stages, and I am sure the stats are wrong because all stats are wrong until at least a few months after the fact, but the sheer casual racism that you see in a lot of places about this is both really dispiriting and unsurprising.

One thing to keep in mind is that China didn't have the benefit of knowing that something was happening. All they had for a while was an increasing frequency of strange pneumonia. Now, nobody is denying that they hosed up with their secrecy early on, but once they realised how bad poo poo was they did a loving amazing job of turning it around. Most western governments have managed to do a lot worse with a lot more information to start out with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Think it's time to get some hair clippers and trim my hair but I cba trying to have the back and sides shorter than the top hmmm

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ThomasPaine posted:

Do these people not realise that China is powerful enough that they could respond to any attempt to strongarm reparations out of them by shrugging and saying 'make us lol', we've come a long way from the 60s

Their being MAGA-style racist shitheads does point to them also being tremendously stupid, yes. But even if the drive to enact sanctions against China never goes anywhere, you can imagine what the increased racism means for people perceived as "Chinese".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fluppet posted:

Has it been announced they're going to staff the new hospitals?

"Please remove corpse from bagging area"

Jose posted:

Think it's time to get some hair clippers and trim my hair but I cba trying to have the back and sides shorter than the top hmmm

It's piss easy if you have a hand mirror and aren't drunk at the time

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Kassad posted:

Their being MAGA-style racist shitheads does point to them also being tremendously stupid, yes. But even if the drive to enact sanctions against China never goes anywhere, you can imagine what the increased racism means for people perceived as "Chinese".

True that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's piss easy if you have a hand mirror and aren't drunk at the time
I think Jose's plan is still to drink through the hurricane, so this may take some months.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

Just grow your hair real long, also your beard. Channel Tom Hanks in Castaway.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Just LOL if your lockdown haircut isn't a masking tape mohawk

ThomasPaine posted:

Why the gently caress do these people act like this.

Peston is paid to espouse and defend a particular take.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jose posted:

I've just gone #1 all over. A good crisis buzzcut.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheRat posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that China didn't have the benefit of knowing that something was happening. All they had for a while was an increasing frequency of strange pneumonia. Now, nobody is denying that they hosed up with their secrecy early on, but once they realised how bad poo poo was they did a loving amazing job of turning it around. Most western governments have managed to do a lot worse with a lot more information to start out with.

True, but it does mean that you have to multiply the number of cases in China by five to allow for the asymptomatic cases they have not tracked until now. I'm expecting a second flare-up there around June, and hopefully they are too - they will be able to lock it down a lot sooner.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Yep, that'll do it, good job guys.

my god you're such a racist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bear bile, which is produced in the liver and stored in the balls.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

glorious china was just putting all those muslims in to concentration education camps to keep them safe from the roni. thank you benevolent dictator.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/illexical/status/1245520669183332352?s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1245637309023715328?s=19

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

But everyone at Spiked! On Line is willing to do that for cheaper.

ah, haven't checked in a while, let's have a look at

Brendan O'Neill Cylinder posted:

Two nasty ailments have gripped Britain in recent days. The first is Covid-19. The second is intolerance of dissent. The authoritarian instincts of the chattering classes have been on full display in this crisis. You can see it in their daily pleas for Boris Johnson to turn the UK into a police state. You can see it in their sneering at people who visit parks or take a walk on a beachfront. And you can see it most disturbingly in their implacable rage against anyone who deviates from the Covid-19 script and asks if shutting down society really is the right thing to do. Like medieval scolds, they brand such people dangerous, insane, a virus, accessories to manslaughter. ‘Shut them down!’, they cry, thinking they are signalling their concern for the public’s health when really they are advertising their profound contempt for freedom of thought and critical debate.
all seems normal, carry on then

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

MeinPanzer posted:

I believe that they were basically transparent during the worst of the outbreak, because it didn't hurt them to acknowledge the reality when they were actively being seen as taking aggressive action to combat the spread of the virus. They did, however, quietly announce recently that despite their widespread testing, their figures have not accounted for asymptomatic cases up until basically this week.

But where they have a major incentive to fudge the numbers -- and where, mark my words, Western governments will do the same -- is in the current phase, when the curve has been flattened and there is an ambient eagerness for everyone to get back to work and normal life. Again, given the abovementioned fact that they were not tracking or quantifying asymptomatic cases, it is impossible to imagine that active cases are as few as the government claims.

This has also been fleetingly confirmed by snippets of information coming out that the same mechanisms that inhibited initial action -- local officials wanting to cover up the spread in order not to hurt their economic quotas -- has again kicked in, with the result that some areas are reporting more honestly than others.
The thing is, if you go to the coronavirus thread and look back a day or so you’ll find people like Nurge claiming that China has somehow magically covered up hundreds of thousands or millions of deaths across the country, that they’ve successfully prevented all word from getting out because :umberto:, and that this hasn’t turned into a country-wide epidemic killing millions more per day because ???. I think that’s the sort of absurdly transparent bullshit people are speaking out against. I’m perfectly happy to believe they’re fudging things on a smaller scale.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
China loving everyone and people going over the top in response can both be true. It isn't either or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

lol he is such a oval office