Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Darox posted:

I snap picked Thassa P1P1 and every card I saw from then til P2P1 made me sad.
Draft
Was there a better way to do this? What direction should I try to go from P2?

I looked at the rest of your draft and nearly yelled at my computer when you passed Atris for a second Shimmerwing Chimera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I qualified for the mythic points challenge on Saturday but I didn't play a single game of Standard last season. Tell me what to play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oceanbound posted:

I qualified for the mythic points challenge on Saturday but I didn't play a single game of Standard last season. Tell me what to play.

What do you have to build with?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Everything

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Temur Adventures
Temur Rec
Simic ramp and/or flash
Monored aggro
Some variant of U/W/x control
Some variant of Fires of Invention
Rakdos sac

I think covers the vast majority of the meta at the moment, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Of these monored is probably the easiest to pick up, but none of them are decks you're going to get amazing results with out of nowhere I don't think.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 2, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The simic ramp decks tend to play white or black now, but yeah that's most of the meta. I do see the Doom Foretold deck a fair amount also but I am still in Gold for this season.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Temur Adventures is cool as hell but I don't have the WCs to build it. It's a difficult deck to pilot from I've read but played well it's the most value deck in the format.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oceanbound posted:

I also haven’t played Standard in about a month but according to PODCASTS Rakdos Kroxa has really blown up. That deck has powerful reach and Kroxa really shores up the decks biggest weakness (getting wiped). Of every standard deck in the meta right now, I think Mono-R is the deck that people are the most prepared for. Rakdos is basically just as fast as RDW but harder to play around.

None of the slow decks look good right now, and Rakdos can actually beat a resolved Dream Trawler, RDW cannot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've done very poorly with it thus far, but I think I'm really struggling to use the Wish Fairies correctly, both in terms of when to ignore the adventure and just run out the creature, and what to sideboard in with them and when..

E: temur adventures that is.

I've been meaning to build Kroxa Rakdos Sac but ugh, catoven.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 2, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your opponent is on aggro and you don't have another good turn 2 play then run out the fairy. Otherwise, make your other play instead.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Huh. The MtG/Toho monsters crossover is real.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The music choice for the trailer is so dumb, I thought it was still yesterday.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OK that trailer is :krad:

And those walkers look good. And the pet is adorable. Bring it on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

for those that don't follow the mainstream magic thread in trad games, here's a gallery of all the cards they previewed

https://imgur.com/a/WmYvgWf

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mutate is much more interesting than expected, pretty different to bestow.

Companion is interesting, especially if they print something that promotes working with an interesting restriction. The dino-hippo seems cool but you could just play it in a normal deck and include the cheaper cards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Companion is can only be included if, presumably?

E: I'm finding Mutate kinda hard to parse: in practice, you cast for mutate cost, you put it on top and it gains the abilities of the creature underneath, you put it under and ti gains the abilities of the creature on top? And both creatures are considered to have Mutated, or just the top one?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wow, Lukka might be cool in a Fires of Invention deck, really gets you to those Cavaliers or Kenrith. Red now has a randomized Birthing Pod.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

I THINK

if it's your companion, it exists outside the game (maybe in the command zone) and you can cast it from there. i don't think it keeps going back to the command zone like a commander though

or you can just put it in your deck without following the restriction

i gotta rewatch the vid to make sure

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

or just read this lol

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ikoria-lair-behemoths-mechanics-2020-04-02

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah that's probably easiest. I couldn't see a launch video, just the trailer.

But I would watch the movie that trailer is for.

E: oooooh.... Mutate makes the spell immune to being invalidated by killing its target. That is really interesting.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 2, 2020

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

I think the idea is you can put the creature in your deck regardless, but if your deck meets the Companion requirement, then the Companion creature can be a pseudo-commander.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

hmmm, possibly broken Simic card, but you can't use Krasis or Growth Spiral in your deck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IMJack posted:

I think the idea is you can put the creature in your deck regardless, but if your deck meets the Companion requirement, then the Companion creature can be a pseudo-commander.

Nope, it looks like it goes in your SB, and you can cast it once from your SB if you meet the Companion restrictions, otherwise, it just stays there as normal.

Proving you DO meet the restrictions is a bit of a weird one though, particularly in offline play. In Arena, Arena can just say go or no go as preferred, presumably, butoffline I guess you have to give your opponent a chance to examine your entire deck?

The Macrosage in particular is gonna be nice with the expensive Adventures, given that they will let you have some early play without breaking the restriction. But conversely means you can't include Clover or Innkeeper.

Interesting.

I am so enthused by what little we've seen so far, there are a tonne of interesting looking creatures and potential brawl commanders.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They've revealed another companion on-stream with a singleton requirement. Seems like it would need to be banned in EDH since it's completely free in any UR deck.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

site says it has to be a sideboard card you reveal, and therefore doesn't count towards 60 card minimum for your main deck

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Am I parsing notGodzilla right? It's reverse High Alert?

:O

Puts a whole new spin on a bunch of the Gruul high-power low-toughness stuff. Not least Anax.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 2, 2020

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Give me astral drift!!!

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They've revealed another companion on-stream with a singleton requirement. Seems like it would need to be banned in EDH since it's completely free in any UR deck.

This is the Expansion Otter -

Must have singleton deck, 3/2 flash elemental otter that lets you copy a spell as it ETB

They just said on the preview stream they expect it’ll be preemptively banned in commander

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Banned within minutes of being revealed.

https://twitter.com/Em_TeeGee/status/1245730519440072707?s=20

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

How to the companions work in paper magic, with hitting their deck building restrictions? If my opponent plays the otter from the SB (using the companion rules), do I forever have to be vigilant that my opponent doesn't play a second copy of a card?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Deathcorona. Best card idea.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

How to the companions work in paper magic, with hitting their deck building restrictions? If my opponent plays the otter from the SB (using the companion rules), do I forever have to be vigilant that my opponent doesn't play a second copy of a card?

Presumably you only get the one copy you revealed out of your SB, but nothing stops you from putting another copy or 3 in your 60.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pretty sure you can put a Lutri in your deck and play another one from your sideboard as your Companion.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Drewjitsu posted:

I mean are you already vigilant that your opponent doesn't play five copies of a card

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

This is my question - do you get a chance to check the restrictions for the Companion are met when they reveal it? It's not legal to reveal it if they're NOT, so presumably you get a chance to check their entire deck to make sure it's legal for them to reveal the Companion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The answer is no, no more than you can check if your opponent has 5 copies of any card (much harder to verify than the three Companions we've seen so far).

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Yeah the restrictions revealed so far are pretty obvious, trying to cheat them seems pointless/actively stupid

Like if they have the 3CMC restriction hippo, the jig will be up as soon as they cast that sneaky growth spiral

The only one you could maaaaybe cheat on is the singleton otter, but even then if you want to cheat with extra copies of your bombs you turn every extra copy of a card into an uncastable dead draw that might get you a match loss if your opponent plays a discard spell. Which seems not worth it.

and also this is the arena thread, these are concerns for the luddites casting their paper cards

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 2, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/mtgazone/status/1245754517188038656

Anyone know how mutate works in Brawl? Can I make Snapdax my Commander and then cast him for the mutate cost without paying any commander taxes?

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 2, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In practice the mutate mechanic seems sortof like sacrificing a creature to cast your thing with haste (and often get an additional trigger). Sacrificing a creature to get a Warleader's Helix and a 3/5 double strike with haste seems pretty good.

e: is it ok to mutate a legendary creature with another copy of itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine it's fine... I don't think creature types count as abilities. The fact that you can put the mutate creature over or under the one on the battlefield is neat (though irrelevant in the case you're mutating a legendary creature with itself)