Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

do u believe in marigolds posted:

No, because it's color identity is UB. Even if you don't need black to cast it, it's still a black card which prevents it from going in a non-black deck.

Ahh thanks. Between that and the otter i am sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
after carefully turning on my monitor: why is godzilla so tiny and bad?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Baku and Genn were loving whack though in terms of power at the time though.
It's a tempting comparison but those cards had persistent upsides that massively mitigated their deckbuilding drawbacks. Just having an extra card in hand doesn't seem like the same thing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So apparently there are 10 Companions in the cycle, one for each color pair. Odds that one is completely busted is going up....

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-spacegodzilla-2020-04-02

lmao

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

So apparently there are 10 Companions in the cycle, one for each color pair. Odds that one is completely busted is going up....

Companion - All creatures in deck must be cats, beasts, nightmare, Dino (a couple of others)

Creatures of the listed types get +1/+1

—-

Companion - all permanents must have activated abilities

Activated abilities cost 2 less minimum of 1
1, T target creature can’t block this turn

Tainen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tainen posted:

Companion - All creatures in deck must be cats, beasts, nightmare, Dino (a couple of others)

Creatures of the listed types get +1/+1

Marker down on this being the Selesnya one. I hope it's good and I can make Standard Cats For My Daughter again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Marker down on this being the Selesnya one. I hope it's good and I can make Standard Cats For My Daughter again.

No offense but if this card is playable in commander but Lutri isn't? That's bullshit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AngryBooch posted:

What is different compared to other busted cards, besides always having it instead of frequently having it, exactly?

Oko wasn't stopped by being a normal card in the deck.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That alternate art is going to be so expensive.

They also should've just kept the Death Corona name, it owns.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Leak has it as 1(g/w)(g/w) and 3/3 but the cmcs and p/t has been a bit off so far.

To be honest I didn’t hint at these cards until last night because I thought they were fake and made to try to root out the leaker because they popped a few hours after some esports site posted an article on the Narset.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Clowner posted:

I will pay five million dollars for a paper copy of Spacegodzilla, Death Corona, if anyone cracks one

so about that

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is gonna be the most coveted card for collectors in years

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang now I can’t concern troll about this on Twitter :PepeHands:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mat Cauthon posted:

They also should've just kept the Death Corona name, it owns.

The human mind is both mystifying and predictable at the same time. A word with more meaning in astronomy and alcohol makes people angry now.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
A lot less paper product is going to be opened too. Wouldn't be surprised if constructed playables (and rare collectors like this) from the set are going to have much lower availability in months to years to come.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tainen posted:

Thinking of how to break this in standard, of course dependent on how good the companion itself is.

hmmm, could presumably sac food tokens for free here(edit: minimum of 1, i'm wrong). B activation of Knight of the Ebon Legion? G Adapt on Growth Chamber Guardian? Ridiculous Kenrith shenanigans (but no Fires)? G to use Nylea, Keen-Eyed?

Oh gently caress Phoenix of Ash +2/+0 for R with Purphoros Bronze Blooded activation for R. Yeah, that's a lot of flying haste damage.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 2, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tainen posted:

Yeah that's disgusting.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't really understand how mutate or companion works but this all seems cool and bananas. I also really like the keyword counters, I thought those were a good idea from the Mystery Booster cards, and I'm glad they're here.

Is Companion basically the way Magic R&D has decided to implement the Commander Zone in a non-Commander format?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

fadam posted:

Dang now I can’t concern troll about this on Twitter :PepeHands:

you could instead complain about snowflake censorship if that's more your style

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kurieg posted:

No offense but if this card is playable in commander but Lutri isn't? That's bullshit.

I mean, I don't even really agree with banning the otter, but arguably "must be a tribal deck" is more of an opportunity cost than "must be a legal Commander deck." :shrug:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

so this wouldn't be allowed with that restriction, right? : https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=gauntlets%20of%20light

Since it doesn't have an activated ability, it just grants one.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

LifeLynx posted:

Ability counters are amazing, I don't know what everyone's talking about. The only downside is that in paper (lol) people are going to be making confusing counters out of scrap paper. Even if there are punch-out token cards, Magic players are lazy.

They did just that, there's an example of the punch out tokens in one of the explainer articles. Unfortunately they used a terrible icon for the Deathtouch counter.

WOTC asleep at the wheel once again, smh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

resistentialism posted:

so this wouldn't be allowed with that restriction, right? : https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=gauntlets%20of%20light

Since it doesn't have an activated ability, it just grants one.

That would be my take. To work with companion it would have to omit the "enchanted creature has"

Mat Cauthon posted:

They did just that, there's an example of the punch out tokens in one of the explainer articles. Unfortunately they used a terrible icon for the Deathtouch counter.

The best solution is probably going to be a custom die someone prints out with the faces as easy to discern icons. Hell I could probably do that in Medium and turn it into an STL for y'all.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mat Cauthon posted:

They are the same as all the MTG Arena icons, except for Deathtouch which appears to be stolen from the "tap here!" tutorial for a phone idle game.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tainen posted:

If Colossal Dreadmaw isn’t reprinted in Ikoria I am going to be disappointed.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
the only thing that sucks about that Spacegodzilla is the card is very underwhelming

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

you could instead complain about snowflake censorship if that's more your style

Rping as MAGA guys is less fun than RPing as Libs

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The first run will still have the original name. They're gonna be worth a lot I think. It's a showcase frame of an uncommon but if there's only one print run there might not be all that many in circulation.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

the only thing that sucks about that Spacegodzilla is the card is very underwhelming

Cycling removal is a very solid uncommon

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Is this different than every card sharing a type? e.g two sorceries and two creatures are fine because each card shares a type with one other card or would it have to be 4 sorceries or 4 creatures?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

The human mind is both mystifying and predictable at the same time. A word with more meaning in astronomy and alcohol makes people angry now.

Half the world has an IQ of less than 100, hope this helps

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, so if you run entirely artifacts this is a free card in hand that makes them all cost 1 less.

Interesting.

E: Unless this is all creatures only in which case why even bother with that specification?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

Is this different than every card sharing a type? e.g two sorceries and two creatures are fine because each card shares a type with one other card or would it have to be 4 sorceries or 4 creatures?

Everything in the deck has to share a type.

There was just a set with a shitload of Enchantment Creatures and Enchantment removal, hmm.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

source

Dinosaur Cat Nightmare! And it has double strike so whatever it mutates with or into or whatever has double strike already.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

They should have included transform in this set, just to go all out on the "make playing paper annoying" trend.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Human Crouton posted:

They should have included transform in this set, just to go all out on the "make playing paper annoying" trend.

Mutate Snapdax onto Brisela to really lose your patience.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Count Bleck posted:

Mutate Snapdax onto Brisela to really lose your patience.

it would exile with Brisela but not come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kurieg posted:

it would exile with Brisela but not come back.

Do it after you meld.