Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
really hoping rlb doesn't lose by 1 vote, i forgot to cast mine :thumbsup:

e: 18 is another number of votes that I hope she doesn't lose by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

I feel like a poo poo zizek watching avengers films and relating them to socio-economic concepts then just skipping all the battle scenes, wondering what I'm doing with my life.
Start dual wielding hotdogs on your daily allowed walk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

nah the antibodies are your secondary immune response that takes a while to get up and running.
the antibody test merely tests whether your body has started or has been producing immune cells tailored to covid, not that the virus is gone or that the virus is still there

Yeah but my understanding was as it starts to produce them they're almost instantly used up by binding to any viruses they find, meaning finding a significant amount of antibodies just loose means there's very little virus left, and that was the great hope of these mooted antibody tests to say "Yeah you're fine, get back to work", as opposed to antigen tests that detect if the virus itself is present.

However it's been pointed out by a couple of people that that's not actually the case and if it is true that the virus is still present and spreadable beyond 14 days *and* with a positive antibody test then that has potentially massive implications, especially for medical staff being rushed back onto wards.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats fun is we've known for 2 months now that the max time viral shed can last is 40 days, the avg is 20 days.

so if you wanna be totally safe its gotta be 40 day quarantine (nicely thats exactly what quarantine means, black death era venice were unironically a considerably better run state than modern UK) and if you're not gonna do that then it needs to be at least 20 days just to catch the majority of cases.

the whole 7-14 days thing isn't remotely adequate and isn't based on any science. which basically describes the whole UK policy. nothing we have done adequately stops the spread at all, really. still no PPE for medical workers let alone supermarket and transport staff. so they will still be unrelenting vectors of plague.

for things to not get worse than italy we literally need some kind of miraculous variable nobody has thought of that will defeat the virus just for us. maybe our stiff upper lips? baked bean intake?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well it turns out our hopes of it going away in summer aren't happening, so it must not like cold damp places right? so we're immune!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baked bean intake?
That only prevents transmission via the feco-oral route.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feco-oral is the US substitute for kia-ora.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah but my understanding was as it starts to produce them they're almost instantly used up by binding to any viruses they find, meaning finding a significant amount of antibodies just loose means there's very little virus left, and that was the great hope of these mooted antibody tests to say "Yeah you're fine, get back to work", as opposed to antigen tests that detect if the virus itself is present.

However it's been pointed out by a couple of people that that's not actually the case and if it is true that the virus is still present and spreadable beyond 14 days *and* with a positive antibody test then that has potentially massive implications, especially for medical staff being rushed back onto wards.

googling a study, this may be wrong coz its a hypothesis pulled from my rear end

only 1% of blood samples tested positive for covid in positive patients, so its rare it gets into your blood, it lives in your lungs.
i think the antibody test is a blood test right? there will be antibodies in your blood cause thats how its transported, but they wont have covid to bind to.

but also you will have free antibodies in your blood regardless, whereas you have zero in your blood before the immune response, so its testing whether you've got to the immune response stage not that you're defeating the virus yet. pretty sure you can be making antibodies and still be overwhelmed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Now with the full 10mg/lb of rat feces!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

the whole 7-14 days thing isn't remotely adequate and isn't based on any science. which basically describes the whole UK policy. nothing we have done adequately stops the spread at all, really. still no PPE for medical workers let alone supermarket and transport staff. so they will still be unrelenting vectors of plague.

But we are clapping for them with more planned for 8pm tonight. That'll solve all problems, other than the lack of resources like beds, PPE and staff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

yeah i'm jealous of the people i play wow with who decided in their 30s to go back to uni and its all just been paid for not needing to worry about it

Life is chronically unfair.

Josef bugman posted:

It's weird, I am feeling a little better following the first few weeks of quarantine.

I have my daily routine, I have my books to read, I have my food prepared and I get to speak to folks here and on phones. I am volunteering/ getting my volunteering thing put in place so I am probably going to get busier quite soon, and I would never wish any of the suffering we are all going through right now on anyone, but it could always be worse.

I have read about 10 of the Bernard Cromwell Sharpe books in the last 3 weeks. Also gone back to the Complete Marvel Reading Order & reading so many comic books. Missing my wrestling though. There's been 9 shows this month I've watched, which...well, significantly down on what it should be to the point where I even watched 2 Stardom shows & some Big Japan which aren't in my regular rotation. Been no New Japan Cup, missed a few Dragon Gate shows, several AJPW & NOAH. And now this month All Japan have cancelled their big tournament. It's nice having time & all but I'm pretty much just done with this now, give me my Japanese wrestling back.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The host immune response in respiratory virus infection: balancing virus clearance and immunopathology
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4896975/

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

for things to not get worse than italy we literally need some kind of miraculous variable nobody has thought of that will defeat the virus just for us. maybe our stiff upper lips? baked bean intake?

We're going to get rid of Trident and coronavirus at the same time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1245733718322487301?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm 99% sure that certain people itt are furiously masturbating as they breathlessly insist that COVID will go on until 2023 and kill ten million people in the UK alone

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm 99% sure that certain people itt are furiously masturbating as they breathlessly insist that COVID will go on until 2023 and kill ten million people in the UK alone

Given that the pessimists have been right every time with this thing so far maybe it's time to listen to them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

neat

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

Given that the pessimists have been right every time with this thing so far maybe it's time to listen to them

Perhaps, but I like my takes slightly less visibly cum-stained if I'm honest

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

lol yeah we have known this since january

going back and reading the 1st pages of the cpsam corona thread is a trip. several posters immediately and accurately call the pandemic and why. also basically all the info the UK et al is pretending to find out now is available back then.
I think Jan 26th rando posters start realising that ICUs are gonna be hammered and thats the main threat. I appreciate those guys going "buy masks now!" while everyone is calling them fatalists

The point the thread called it was when there were multiple reports of asymptomatic transmission.

Aka "oh good, this thing will get through airports in no time at all huh".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One thing I am learning is that if there was a deadly plague that killed like 90% of people it'd be a far more egalitarian solution to climate change than we're likely to get because rich people can not loving stop getting diseases.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Completely unrelated to anything, I have just figured out that Alex Jones and Arron Banks are in fact two separate people, and not the same person.

I am feeling confused.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Completely unrelated to anything, I have just figured out that Alex Jones and Arron Banks are in fact two separate people, and not the same person.

I am feeling confused.

Did... did you think the gay demon frogs man was lobbying to leave the EU..?

Like are you basing your mental image for both of them off of actual alex jones?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

This mixing of measurements is violence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Farron was Remain.

Tanith posted:

This mixing of measurements is violence.
That's the FDA limits. I didn't bother to check if their actual limits are worded less psychotically, like 22mg/kg or 22ppm or 154 grains/hundredweight or something, but that's how they're relayed to the public.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably like tim farron more if he took his shirt off and screamed at people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That's way too orangey for crows.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

Perhaps, but I like my takes slightly less visibly cum-stained if I'm honest

How's Francis Weetman during the pandemic by the way? ;)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

for some reason hancock is also doing today's briefing soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

i hope he's not there in person

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Well isn't this loving gross. This is how it's going to be reported from now on, isn't it?

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1245734573000077312

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Like are you basing your mental image for both of them off of actual alex jones?

Honestly I think my mental image of both of them was Lewis Prothero from well known documentary film V for Vendetta.

That combined with never watching videos and only reading headlines in passing and going "ah, the bad dude who starts with A is at it again"

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Answers Me posted:

Well isn't this loving gross. This is how it's going to be reported from now on, isn't it?

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1245732854643949570

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1245734573000077312

Not sure how you can interpret a death toll differently, but then we live in a world where every single film needs an 'ending explained' video on youtube.

I imagine it only gives a general notion of what the toll is and we won't really know til next year. The demographic changes to the census might be interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Honestly I think my mental image of both of them was Lewis Prothero from well known documentary film V for Vendetta.

That combined with never watching videos and only reading headlines in passing and going "ah, the bad dude who starts with A is at it again"

I think everyone needs to at least watch this one alex jones video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most coronavirus victims would have died of something eventually, reports BBC.

Maybe they should do that after terror attacks.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

LOL nice one, Beeb. Add another gammon bullshit talking point to my previously published checklist: "ahhh, but you don't know that all those people definitely died of covids :smuggo:"

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Guavanaut posted:

Most coronavirus victims would have died of something eventually, reports BBC.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1245735155978952704

I've said it before and I'll say it again: abolish the BBC

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Wachter posted:

LOL nice one, Beeb. Add another gammon bullshit talking point to my previously published checklist: "ahhh, but you don't know that all those people definitely died of covids :smuggo:"

It's all very "technically it's not the falling out the building, it's the hitting the floor :smuggo:"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

dispatch_async posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1245735155978952704

I've said it before and I'll say it again: abolish the BBC

fucken unreal

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Applying for UC, and what a loving shitshow that is.
All my verification is going through online on some app, 3 days to process - OK, I get that it's busy.
My girlfriend who also has to apply, despite not needing to as she's still employed: Can't verify you through your passport/debit card, ring this number and book an appointment to go to a job centre. That isn't open and the lines are perma-jammed. Anyone any advice on alternate methods?

Also learned today the main reason there's very little remote freelance work for my trade is everyone's scared to death of NDAs, like we're all going to use this as an excuse to do some real industrial espionage. There's also an office still operating, because let's not let a pandemic get in the way of money.
My trade is in no way key, they should all be remote working like every other place is.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, this pissed me right off. He was 52. He did not die with coronavirus, you loving spineless worms.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1245714274552602627

justcola posted:

How's Francis Weetman during the pandemic by the way? ;)

Very boring honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's got echoes of the AIDS epidemic in South Africa when there was a huge stigma around it you'd get lots of people dying of pneumonia but almost a deliberate refusal to talk about the underlying virus that led to that.

Except it's the state broadcaster doing it.