Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Animal Crossing really should have an option where you can basically end the game... tell Nook you're moving and have a little farewell. Your save is deleted but your town gets added to the Nook Miles islands.

It's just kind of sad knowing that the end of Animal Crossing is always slowly petering off of it.

The good thing about this being a modern game is that DLC is always coming as long as Nintendo supports it. I could see myself playing this for longer than past AC games, but yeah, eventually there'll come a time when I only go on for a half hour a day, or don't feel too guilty skipping a day entirely. Watching some of the YouTube videos of people revisiting their old Gamecube/DS saves gave me a tinge of that nostalgic depression. "Hey, remember how exciting it was to boot up the Gamecube and play almost every day for a whole year?"

I'm really glad the main story ends within roughly two weeks. With social media being what it is, it was really easy to feel so far behind other players. I was mildly annoyed that I started playing at 9 AM on Friday instead of 12:01 AM on Friday, so I was a "day" behind other people. Soon enough everyone who got the game on release day will be on the same page, and all that's left is self-made goals like making a pretty island, designing the perfect house, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"Maintenance will soon begin"

:confused::confused::confused:

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Closing my gates now, thank you everyone who stopped by!!

Chrs posted:

I brought you some apples and cherries but it looks like you're good!

Ahh, forgot to mention that I'm good on fruits - but thanks for the thought! :)

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

These easter balloons need to gently caress off. I need regular balloons damnit.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No wifi where I live so my game is still on version 1.0.0

We have no eggs or Easter event of any kind. Must have been added in one of the updates. With how much everyone is complaining about eggs I might wait until after Easter to go into town and get updates.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Martytoof posted:

That's what I'm saying -- my exchange rate was 10,000 bells for 1,000 NM :P

Shameful. Shameful.
that's really good, 10k bells is nothing. I would love to actually be able to trade 10k bells for 1k miles indefinitely

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The problem with New Horizons DLC is that a lot of it is stuff that was cut out of the game/unfinished in time that was always there as a series staple just getting readded in and nothing actually wholly new.

Like it's cool we're getting Gyroids back (?) and Easter Event is here, annoying as it is- but I wouldn't really say it's new stuff we haven't seen before.

Also has anyone seen anything robot/mechanic/science based? I got the Lab wall and Circuit Flooring and I want to make a mad scientist kinda basement but everything is some varient of 'nice wooden chair.' With the Astro/Robo stuff removed from the game it's just like man, what can I even put here.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
You're right, I think they'll slowly release content (that we've seen in other games) in a way not too dissimilar from Pocket Camp.

Speaking of Pocket Camp, as meh as it was, it has lots of really really good assets that I desperately want added. They wouldn't just let good assets like that not be reused, right??

There's no sign at all of lots of my favorite items and while I'm loving the hell out of this game I have the perpetual feeling of caution when I'm playing like "is this it? is this all the stuff? the other games had way more stuff..."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

The good thing about this being a modern game is that DLC is always coming as long as Nintendo supports it. I could see myself playing this for longer than past AC games, but yeah, eventually there'll come a time when I only go on for a half hour a day, or don't feel too guilty skipping a day entirely. Watching some of the YouTube videos of people revisiting their old Gamecube/DS saves gave me a tinge of that nostalgic depression. "Hey, remember how exciting it was to boot up the Gamecube and play almost every day for a whole year?"

I'm really glad the main story ends within roughly two weeks. With social media being what it is, it was really easy to feel so far behind other players. I was mildly annoyed that I started playing at 9 AM on Friday instead of 12:01 AM on Friday, so I was a "day" behind other people. Soon enough everyone who got the game on release day will be on the same page, and all that's left is self-made goals like making a pretty island, designing the perfect house, etc.
I wonder if they're just going to repeat stuff like Bunny Day next year or they'll have some variety with the events for the first couple of years.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Opening up my gates to goons for a little while I work from home
0GY94

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Some twitter goof - out of the our island and blew everything up.

So again, please come visit my wife for her quarantined birthday celebration:

BSLJ4

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Plant MONSTER. posted:

You're right, I think they'll slowly release content (that we've seen in other games) in a way not too dissimilar from Pocket Camp.

Speaking of Pocket Camp, as meh as it was, it has lots of really really good assets that I desperately want added. They wouldn't just let good assets like that not be reused, right??

There's no sign at all of lots of my favorite items and while I'm loving the hell out of this game I have the perpetual feeling of caution when I'm playing like "is this it? is this all the stuff? the other games had way more stuff..."

I agree with this and I think all the reviewers who dubbed this the best animal crossing ever will be looking a little foolish once it definitively becomes clear that this game is missing a ton of content. It might be the best animal crossing ever in gameplay terms, but it really could have used more time in development to fix bugs/add content.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

These easter balloons need to gently caress off. I need regular balloons damnit.

egg balloons dont affect regular balloon spawns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The problem with New Horizons DLC is that a lot of it is stuff that was cut out of the game/unfinished in time that was always there as a series staple just getting readded in and nothing actually wholly new.

Like it's cool we're getting Gyroids back (?) and Easter Event is here, annoying as it is- but I wouldn't really say it's new stuff we haven't seen before.

Also has anyone seen anything robot/mechanic/science based? I got the Lab wall and Circuit Flooring and I want to make a mad scientist kinda basement but everything is some varient of 'nice wooden chair.' With the Astro/Robo stuff removed from the game it's just like man, what can I even put here.

yeah ive found a bunch of science and mechanic stuff

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

there's this lab experiment set pictured here with the sick as hell rug I just got from Saharah

also does anyone know where you get White Lilies because I got a good DIY recipe for a record player that needs 5 of them?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When do you get the path-building tool? After you get 10 villagers?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I'll say I'm kind of surprised at how much stuff isn't here compared to New Leaf, at least in terms of buildings. It felt like you were slowly unlocking buildings over the course of two full months, whereas here after the first week and a half where you get terraforming you're basically done unlocking things

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I feel like I've been playing a lot and I only have 5 villagers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

When do you get the path-building tool? After you get 10 villagers?

8 Villagers. But you might need to do some other stuff (flowers, bridges) since it requires you to hit a 3 star rating for your island, but 8 villagers is a requirement to hit 3 stars.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I feel like I've been playing a lot and I only have 5 villagers.

Villagers don't move in at random, at least in a sense. At 5 your Resident Services should have/should be upgrading. Once that's done you get asked to build a campsite which leads to villager 6. After that, villagers 7-10 require you to place plots. You can go to islands to invite people at this point, or wait and have plots filled randomly.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you mean the paths on the ground, you will
Have to download patterns you find online from
Mabels shop.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

If you mean the paths on the ground, you will
Have to download patterns you find online from
Mabels shop.

nope theres a tool for building paths that unlocks with terraforming

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's bullshit I can't put trees up against rivers :colbert:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I'll say I'm kind of surprised at how much stuff isn't here compared to New Leaf, at least in terms of buildings. It felt like you were slowly unlocking buildings over the course of two full months, whereas here after the first week and a half where you get terraforming you're basically done unlocking things

I hope there's more actual buildings, but I'd be hard pressed to think of what they could be since the ones now cover pretty much everything. The northern part of my island past the river is just a nature preserve. Got my little west and east residential areas and a commercial district with the museum, both shops, and campsite - though I'm considering moving the campsite up to the top now that I have ramps.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Stux posted:

nope theres a tool for building paths that unlocks with terraforming

I had no idea! I’m very glad though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I’m still absolutely confounded by this egg thing :psyduck:

woke up this morning and started to play but bounced right off – gonna waste some day in LM3 multiplayer instead

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Started messing around with terraforming. Moving cliffs and rivers seems fine so far. Unless I'm doing something wrong paths seem to only be able to turn at right angles, which is disappointing. They also don't connect to things, which resulted in this monstrosity:

Might've rethought the placement of those stairs or my house if I'd known that was a thing.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It's bullshit I can't put trees up against rivers :colbert:

Then they could put in that rad fish that spits water like a pistol to knock bugs into the water so it can eat them.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I never played pocket camp...would this gameplay decision make more sense in whatever format the mobile game is like??

baffling

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

I’m still absolutely confounded by this egg thing :psyduck:

woke up this morning and started to play but bounced right off – gonna waste some day in LM3 multiplayer instead

you collect eggs and then you craft things with the eggs

what's confounding about that

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bulgakov posted:

I never played pocket camp...would this gameplay decision make more sense in whatever format the mobile game is like??

baffling

Pocket Camp had a section of your campsite that was all flowers, events like Bunny Day added special flowers with special bugs to catch to unlock whatever. All events were cordoned off into that garden and the rest of gameplay was uninterrupted.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Brother Entropy posted:

you collect eggs and then you craft things with the eggs

what's confounding about that

12 days

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yes that way everyone can collect eggs and get the time-limited stuff at their own pace instead of having to play on one day or be poo poo out of luck until the next year

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I get the frustration with the egg situation, but I also feel like it's that way so someone who only plays every few days, or only plays for an hour a day, will still have a chance to get all the event stuff?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

yes that way everyone can collect eggs and get the time-limited stuff at their own pace instead of having to play on one day or be poo poo out of luck until the next year

These eggs take the place of other resources I would much rather have. I wish there was a way to disable the eggs since I don't need or want them anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LifeLynx posted:

I hope there's more actual buildings, but I'd be hard pressed to think of what they could be since the ones now cover pretty much everything. The northern part of my island past the river is just a nature preserve. Got my little west and east residential areas and a commercial district with the museum, both shops, and campsite - though I'm considering moving the campsite up to the top now that I have ramps.

The only building I can see them adding is the Dream Suite since I can't think of any of the existing buildings it could be added to like the rest of the missing shops. Like Re-Tail could be added to Nook's Cranny, the cafe goes back to the museum, the post office could replace the revolving card standee, and the police dogs could get based out of Resident Services.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

Started messing around with terraforming. Moving cliffs and rivers seems fine so far. Unless I'm doing something wrong paths seem to only be able to turn at right angles, which is disappointing. They also don't connect to things, which resulted in this monstrosity:

Might've rethought the placement of those stairs or my house if I'd known that was a thing.

similar to how you can smooth over cliffs, you can also smooth out paths. If you fill in the corners of that path you have and then try to erase them at the corner it should round them out and possibly make things look a little better!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are people talking to their villagers as a aside. I'm not sure what gives but half the time it feels like

"Oh hi, what's up?"
>Lets chat!
"You talked to me! Bye!"

Then they leave. If I talk to them again the second time in a day

"Wow you sure do love talking to me we're talking so much! It's been what minutes??" (Even when it's been hours)
>Let's chat!
"I like to walk and stare at trees. Bye!"

I got villagers I like minus a couple but it's really phoned in and it's kind of weird that if you talk to them more than once in a single session they seem annoyed with you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that it makes sense in terms of the game demanding less of you. There's less maintenance to the island in general. The loop is more about creating these sort of crafting grinds and delayed milestones that keep the spirit of the realtime/daily feel of the game.

I think Bunny Day being a season rather than a single day means you don't have to conform your schedule to making sure you're playing Animal Crossing for a single day. I think it's also going to be nice during Halloween and Christmas events to sort of feel a sense of it being a season. Makes the world feel more real.

I think the problem is that Easter aesthetics aren't as cool as Christmas and Halloween, so the incentive of getting the eggs isn't fully there and, yes, 12 days is a bit of an overreaction in terms of design.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Alright imma try this dodo code thing

Turnips are at 297
please leave cherries

Imma leave it on while im at work

dodo code is KBWWJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

TheBizzness posted:

Some twitter goof - out of the our island and blew everything up.

So again, please come visit my wife for her quarantined birthday celebration:

BSLJ4

It was nice to visit, you have a really beautiful island