Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Personally I feel like I enjoyed the more Pike-heavy episodes of Disco Season 2 over most of this show. He had more of a character than anyone on this show besides Picard himself.

I am not at all optimistic about Disco S3 since all of the good things about S2 have been removed so we are stuck with the Disco crew, who mostly suck other than Saru and Jett Reno (when they actually remember she is on the ship).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Picard follows his gaze and turns to see

Everything.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

FlamingLiberal posted:

Personally I feel like I enjoyed the more Pike-heavy episodes of Disco Season 2 over most of this show. He had more of a character than anyone on this show besides Picard himself.

I am not at all optimistic about Disco S3 since all of the good things about S2 have been removed so we are stuck with the Disco crew, who mostly suck other than Saru and Jett Reno (when they actually remember she is on the ship).

I agree with you that Pike is the strongest element of Discovery. I thought the tie in to the original series episode was really cool and I'd like to see more of that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I agree with you that Pike is the strongest element of Discovery. I thought the tie in to the original series episode was really cool and I'd like to see more of that.
I just really like the moment where Pike is on Boreth and has the vision of him disfigured in the wheelchair as we see him in 'The Menagerie', and while he is horrified that could be his future, he refuses to let it stop his mission and make him try to change his path.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Anson Mount is a great Pike and I would happily watch an entire enterprise show about him, he's also great in Hell on Wheels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched every episode of Hell on Wheels and I didn't recognize him when he showed up as Pike.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

As to criticising it for including characters from TNG, in a programme about the character from TNG, that is a specious complaint.
If they were actually full-time cast members it would be fine. But they're not. Instead of actually developing characters who are going to stick around and remain important to the show as it continues we got cameos. And even cameos would be fine if it hadn't come at the expense of the full-time cast. An entire episode of hanging out with the Rikers and then Riker showing up to save the day right at the end were terrible decisions. And Picard's connection to Data and him showing up at the end could have been good too, if they hadn't just completely forgotten about him for 90% of the show. He wasn't relevant except for right at the start and right at the end. Again, it's a cameo at the expense of the characters who are actually in this show.

If I watched the Return of the King without seeing Fellowship I might wonder why the old guy is hanging around with all those little people. But I am familiar with the characters from Lord of the Rings for the same reasons people are familiar with the crew of the Enterprise. A) I watched the preceding part of the story, and B) it is a pillar of pop culture.
Return of the King is the third part of a single story. Picard is not continuing the story from TNG. It's not even a sequel since it's mostly about different characters. There are characters in DS9 that started out in TNG, but you don't need to watch TNG to understand or care about things that happen in DS9 because it's a different show telling a different story about different people.

Oh and Rios and the holograms aren't 'decent' characters, whatever the gently caress that entails? Come on. Surely you can do better than sweeping, lazy, assertions like that.
They have potential, but we really didn't get enough of them to say they're good characters. What we've seen of them was mostly fine but there really wasn't much there.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Tiggum posted:

Sold... to who? How?

If Chateau Picard exists then the post scarcity utopian society it exists within has to have a method for transferring property in exchange for some measure of value lest your society create hereditary privilege in the descendents of those who had the prettiest when property rights were set.

Alternatively he's listing it on Spacebnb with all latinum proceeds sent directly to the Romulan Orphans Fund.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Voyager actually has some good moments, but in order to see that they're there you need to filter the whole show down to Robert Picardo episodes in the last 4 seasons.

Probably not accidental that the connecting thread of 'good Star Trek' is episodes themed around 'what makes a person real and valid?'

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Picard being just "okay" is still a massive failing. It was the perfect setup to have an amazing show and instead they spend tens of millions of dollars on a mediocre show. I think people are just (rightly) upset at the squandered potential.

The Picard/Data scene didn't move me at all. It just felt so hollow.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
For every person that is rightfully disapointed that the show ended up being just 'okay' there's a screaming dipshit that is angry that the show is 'too dark', 'too edgy', 'doesn't feel like trek because REASON I CAN'T DEFINE', 'but this goes against canon that was established 25 years ago in episode BLARGGGG', 'the LCD's ARE ALL WRONG'.

The show was average and the aging fanbase is full of pathetic cunts. You're made for each other.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

For every person that is rightfully disapointed that the show ended up being just 'okay' there's a screaming dipshit that is angry that the show is 'too dark', 'too edgy', 'doesn't feel like trek because REASON I CAN'T DEFINE', 'but this goes against canon that was established 25 years ago in episode BLARGGGG', 'the LCD's ARE ALL WRONG'.

The show was average and the aging fanbase is full of pathetic cunts. You're made for each other.

"You're" lol eat poo poo.

The show sucked massive rear end because it was too busy trying to copy other stuff that became popular to even tell a coherent story let alone make any kind of relevant point about anything and trying to be edgy and "dark" was part of that. It was nothing but a pathetic cash in on nerds' nostalgia and it's bloody obvious to anybody with two brain cells to rub together.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I'm one of the people that hates the new general aesthetic of Trek, including the "too dark" but that's because the creators haven't bothered USING that aesthetic in service of any kind of theme or content. They're just doing it because that's what TV looks like to them, and if these shows have to be "real TV" then they have to look like this.

DS9 was both tonally and visually dark relative to other 90s programming, but it was in service of the themes and content of the show so it works. Christ, Voyager was beige and grey but at least that's what the show was in terms of content too. Visual wallpaper. Discovery and Picard are just scams

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Nah. There are people who are caught up with what they wanted the show to be, but the fact is that Picard is just a bad tv show. You don't have to compare it to other Star Trek shows. It's not "just okay", it's incoherent, half-baked and forgettable. The story is mostly filler, full of loose ends and only barely builds to a disappointing conclusion. The characters are poorly developed individually, and not developed at all as a team. And there are entire episodes wasted on characters and plot threads that go nowhere. The show is bad. Not because it fails to live up to some imagined ideal but because it's purposeless and directionless and self-defeating. There are lots of spaceship shows that aren't Star Trek and although I'd be disappointed to get one of those if I'd been promised Star Trek that wouldn't make them bad on their own merits. Picard is bad on its own merits. Ignore the existence of any other Star Trek show and Picard still sucks. It's a bad show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Paper Lion posted:

Discovery and Picard are just scams

Well this is an entirely sane position to take.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tiggum posted:

If they were actually full-time cast members it would be fine. But they're not. Instead of actually developing characters who are going to stick around and remain important to the show as it continues we got cameos. And even cameos would be fine if it hadn't come at the expense of the full-time cast. An entire episode of hanging out with the Rikers and then Riker showing up to save the day right at the end were terrible decisions. And Picard's connection to Data and him showing up at the end could have been good too, if they hadn't just completely forgotten about him for 90% of the show. He wasn't relevant except for right at the start and right at the end. Again, it's a cameo at the expense of the characters who are actually in this show.

The stuff with Riker felt like an awkward medium. To me, it was pretty clear that the Rikers stuff was individually pretty good and shows me that the show probably would've been better as a TNG mk2 if they're going to have a plot go like this. Even though chilling with Will and Deanna was pointless, it felt better than a lot of the other equally pointless stuff with Raffi, Rios, etc.

Also, I felt Seven was completely superfluous.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Kazy posted:

Picard being just "okay" is still a massive failing.

You're right, I demand nothing less than perpetual masterpieces from my branded entertainment

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
But don't you see? Move Along Home was so much better than Picard because Picard is a doody head and it stole my chicken tendies. This is a serious critique and you shouldn't think about the fact I'm giving it from the street, with my hobo cart and accumulated mental illnesses.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm also of the "it was ok" school of thought. The pacing was bad, and I feel like there could have been more character development than we got. Also, the ex-Borg thing didn't really go anywhere. But, Picard was still Picard, I liked Rios, Raffi, Elnor, and Jurati. (Soji was very much a blank slate, which was intentional, I'm sure, but it also meant that there wasn't a lot memorable about her). There were funny moments, it was generally inspiring, and I'll watch next season.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Tiggum posted:

Picard has no good episodes and the only decent characters are the ones that it was able to borrow, fully formed and buoyed up by nostalgia for a much better show.

I liked Isa Briones a lot, as she kept me invested in her character's arc even when it hit sudden, absurd twists. I hope she gets the chance to play a greater range than Soji the ingenue/Sutra the seductress. And Elnor is a perfectly worthy successor to outsider characters like Spock, Data, and Odo, as long as they give him as much dialogue as they do Star Wars-ripoff action sequences. Strong agree that there are no episodes that are good throughout, only good moments sprinkled here and there.

Tiggum posted:

The characters are poorly developed individually, and not developed at all as a team.

And this is a critical weakness. It's like the producers know that Star Trek is supposed to be an ensemble show, but somehow fail miserably to create a viable ensemble. Jurati doesn't really fit in, and Raffi and Rios just switch back and forth as to who's going to be the morose drunk this week. We are given exactly zero reason as to why they will apparently stick together at the end of the season, let alone why Seven joined them. The old-Trek framework at least provides clear-cut roles for the characters: command, medical, science, diplomacy, etc. Is Raffi the counselor or the barely-functional ops officer? Is Seven joining them because she feels they need her tactical skills? (Not that she was necessarily the tactician in Voyager.) Why would Rios want to listen to Picard, now that the original mission he was paid for is over?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I think the bottom line for me is that it was a lot of lovely moments, performances, and ideas that didn't tie together in the most satisfactory way. But I appreciate what it tried to do and what it gave us and still found the ride enjoyable. They also still have the opportunity to make a lot of the missed potential pay off in season 2.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

istewart posted:

I liked Isa Briones a lot, as she kept me invested in her character's arc even when it hit sudden, absurd twists. I hope she gets the chance to play a greater range than Soji the ingenue/Sutra the seductress. And Elnor is a perfectly worthy successor to outsider characters like Spock, Data, and Odo, as long as they give him as much dialogue as they do Star Wars-ripoff action sequences. Strong agree that there are no episodes that are good throughout, only good moments sprinkled here and there.

And this is a critical weakness. It's like the producers know that Star Trek is supposed to be an ensemble show, but somehow fail miserably to create a viable ensemble. Jurati doesn't really fit in, and Raffi and Rios just switch back and forth as to who's going to be the morose drunk this week. We are given exactly zero reason as to why they will apparently stick together at the end of the season, let alone why Seven joined them. The old-Trek framework at least provides clear-cut roles for the characters: command, medical, science, diplomacy, etc. Is Raffi the counselor or the barely-functional ops officer? Is Seven joining them because she feels they need her tactical skills? (Not that she was necessarily the tactician in Voyager.) Why would Rios want to listen to Picard, now that the original mission he was paid for is over?

I am not really convinced they will still be operating as a crew from the outset of season 2. I thought the final bridge shot at the end of S1 was just to give us the Star Trekky feels for the finale. Unless S2 takes place immediately after a la The Voyage Home, I would have to imagine S2 opens with half the "crew" having gone their separate ways.

Also, why wouldn't Rios still work with Picard? He basically gave a speech about what a sucker he is for falling in love with old captains.

I think the most likely culprits to stick together after the finale are Picard, Rios, Elnor, and maybe Raffi, providing they decide to brew up more missions together.

If they really want Jurati in the show, they'll have to cook up some reason to furlough her out of space prison. And who knows with Seven (as much as I want her to get more screen time).

I could see Isa sticking with Picard, but I could also see her going her own way to work on synth rights or sonething like that. Maybe she, Seven, and Elnor could branch off to work on something.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 2, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am not really convinced they will still be operating as a crew from the outset of season 2. I thought the final bridge shot at the end of S1 was just to give us the Star Trekky feels for the finale. Unless S2 takes place immediately after a la The Voyage Home, I would have to imagine S2 opens with half the "crew" having gone their separate ways.

Also, why wouldn't Rios still work with Picard? He basically gave a speech about what a sucker he is for falling in love with old captains.

I think the most likely culprits to stick together after the finale are Picard, Rios, Elnor, and maybe Raffi, providing they decide to brew up more missions together.

If they really want Jurati in the show, they'll have to cook up some reason to furlough her out of space prison. And who knows with Seven (as much as I want her to get more screen time).

I could see Isa sticking with Picard, but I could also see her going her own way to work on synth rights or sonething like that. Maybe she, Seven, and Elnor could branch off to work on something.

But even if Picard is still up for space adventures, why would he take Rios and not, you know, get himself a proper Starfleet ship?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

But don't you see? Move Along Home was so much better than Picard because Picard is a doody head and it stole my chicken tendies. This is a serious critique and you shouldn't think about the fact I'm giving it from the street, with my hobo cart and accumulated mental illnesses.

Move Along Home was a goofy episode, but was far more confident in the setting and characters than anything on Picard. We got a full season of Picard and a lot of the characterizations are still incredibly nebulous, and the show never felt entirely sure what they wanted the characters to be, and what they wanted to do with the overall setting. Rios is memorable for his EMH clones, Raffi is memorable for her personality, but that's about it. They didn't even really know what they wanted to do with Picard himself, a character they have seven seasons of TNG to analyze and understand before making the show.

In comparison, Move Along Home understands the setting (formerly unimportant space station is now the entrance for a multitude of unknown species coming through and making First Contact) and at least the core concepts of a lot of the characters (Quark is a typical greedy Ferengi but even he has moral limits, Kira is overly gruff and no-nonsense, etc.)

It's certainly not objectively A Great DS9 Episode (even though I personally love the hell out of it) but it was way more firmly rooted in the overall concept of DS9 than Picard was rooted in anything at all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alchenar posted:

But even if Picard is still up for space adventures, why would he take Rios and not, you know, get himself a proper Starfleet ship?

Even though Admiral loving Clancy grudgingly agreed he was right this time, she probably still hates his guts.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I always enjoy the stage of the thread where people renegotiate the meaning of good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Cojawfee posted:

I watched every episode of Hell on Wheels and I didn't recognize him when he showed up as Pike.

Miles O'Brien was up there too, clearly it was just an epic holodeck scenario.

edit: or they're both trapped in the nexus

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 2, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Anybody trying to defend this crappy show by claiming the rest of us are mentally unwell appear increasingly unhinged themselves.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Alchenar posted:

:shrug: Reason TBD next season, I guess.

I mean, I don't really want to see another show about Picard commanding a starship or being in Starfleet, we already have that. I'm interested to see what other wacky adventures he can get into when he doesn't have a bunch of institutional weight to throw around.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Anybody trying to defend this crappy show by claiming the rest of us are mentally unwell appear increasingly unhinged themselves.

I always enjoy the stage of the thread where people renegotiate the meaning of normal behavior.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/if-i-wrote-a-coronavirus-episode.html

Vulture posted:

The coronavirus hasn’t seeped into the shows we’re all bingeing to pass the time — and it won’t for a while since the industry is shut down — but how would TV’s most beloved characters navigate social distancing in these dark days? We posed that question to dozens of showrunners and creators; 37 of them responded...

“Admiral’s Log. The quarantine stretches on. Essential systems continue to fail. And though many of us are used to long periods of isolation, the prohibition on physical contact, not to mention our inability to leave the ship, is beginning to wear on even the most seasoned members of the crew. Remote communication flourishes — still I am reminded there is no substitute for a direct gaze or the reassurance of a friendly touch. I am emboldened by the crew’s resilience. Despite the hardship, they continue to work their stations; productivity and routine can be an excellent balm on fear. And fear they do, how could they otherwise? The threat we face is real with no immediate end in sight. But that does not make it endless. On the contrary, this period of darkness will end, as surely as it began. Fear will fade to memory. We will survive, stronger, perhaps more aware of the profound connections we have always shared. And a time will come when we once again right this ship and sail forward together into the future, that bright unknown.” —Akiva Goldsman

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 2, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would have been nice if you put some of that Picard stuff in the Picard show you wrote, Akiva....

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always enjoy the stage of the thread where people renegotiate the meaning of normal behavior.

Is normal behaviour accusing someone of being a mentally ill homeless person because they think a tv show is poorly written and produced? I'm curious now, because it seemed to fly earlier twice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You're right, I demand nothing less than perpetual masterpieces from my branded entertainment

How dare I hope shows actually aim to be good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

How dare I hope shows actually aim to be good.

I mean I think you deserve an angry Picardo stare for that dumb take

Of course they wanted it to be good. What the gently caress are you even thinking

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I mean I think you deserve an angry Picardo stare for that dumb take

Of course they wanted it to be good. What the gently caress are you even thinking

What's so bad about being disappointed a TV show is mediocre instead of good? The person I was quoting seemed insulted that I expected the show to be decent.

And thinking about it, I'm rescinding my "okay" grading of this show. I'm likely never to watch it again. I'd watch Enterprise again over this.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

What's so bad about being disappointed a TV show is mediocre instead of good? The person I was quoting seemed insulted that I expected the show to be decent.

And thinking about it, I'm rescinding my "okay" grading of this show. I'm likely never to watch it again. I'd watch Enterprise again over this.

Did you even read my post?

Did you read yours?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know about you guys but I am actually insane now.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I may be surrounded by insanity, but I am not insane! And nothing you or anyone else can say will change that. And I won't let you or anyone else tell me that I am. You may be able to destroy my mind, but you can't change the fact that I enjoyed Star Trek: Picard. I don't hate it! And that's what's driving you crazy.

I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.