Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't need any brakes. Just crash the gate, doin 98 and let them truckers roll, 10-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You don't need any brakes. Just crash the gate, doin 98 and let them truckers roll, 10-4

We got a great big convoy rolling through the night.

Issue is in trucksim those gates are solid as gently caress.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah those gates loving *kill*

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
One of my proudest moments was when my wife and I were moving cross-country, towing a trailer, and I accidentally drove us into a narrow dead end at a KOA. Instead of backing out, I three-point turned us around by tucking the trailer between a pair of motorhomes. My wife was like, "how the gently caress did you learn how to do that?", and I told her I'd played a lot of Euro Truck 2 :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Anyone got Automabilslsoststa 2?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I do. It's good.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
It's not good.

It's great.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ahh that's good to hear, I am gonna get it once I've done with HL Alyx

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's made people on Race Department mad enough to review bomb it because they think it's too expensive so it must be good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

njsykora posted:

It's made people on Race Department mad enough to review bomb it because they think it's too expensive so it must be good.

That sounds like a massive green tick to me, I have heard people getting mad about the P Cars 2 underpinnings too, but again, that's a tick to me :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's something about Reiza's continued existence that makes people on RD real mad, I can only assume it's the people who constantly banged the "Stock Car Extreme is just an rFactor mod" drum never letting go of that weird hangup and now moving to "AMS2 is just a Project Cars mod" because Sad Shed Boy made that the title on his first video of the game.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
It's a fundamental law of nature that there will always be nice things that will greatly annoy some racesimmers/flightsimmers/trainsimmers.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There's something highly funny about super serious simmers getting mad at video games

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Sad Shed Boy

sad shed boi here and today we're taking a rickshaw around the ring

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oWiRKnAThU&t=394s

:negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also it's hilarious that someone can say Sad Shed Boy now and everyone in sim racing knows who you mean.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Holy poo poo, he's a >400K subscribers these days? drat.

Don't know how he acted recently, but I always thought if someone was to check out sim racing I'd rather they come across his channel than pretty much any other resource tbh. He always seemed genuine to me.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

You can just say Shed Dweller/Boy and everyone knows who you're talking about, you don't need to add the Sad bit I think it's great that he's open about his struggle

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

He's a good lad our Jimmer, was happy to see he's getting a real drive and it'll be interesting to see how he does irl.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t have a problem with Jimmer, it’s just everyone is right, you say shed, you know who we’re talking about

He’s been hanging out lately with supergt, who is another good dude to watch.

I’m personally a fan of Matt Malone as well

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 2, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

He's a good lad our Jimmer, was happy to see he's getting a real drive and it'll be interesting to see how he does irl.

I agree, it's really cool watching him real life racing, he was in the E sport thing a week ago on Sky that they had on because the real thing is cancelled and it was an oddly zen thing to watch.

I like most of those guys, Jimmy, Malone, Billy Strange, Empty Box, they are all a good watch

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I mean the guy just today raised 20k for a food bank charity so I'm fairly sure I'm going to keep him in the "good streamer" category for now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vando posted:

I mean the guy just today raised 20k for a food bank charity so I'm fairly sure I'm going to keep him in the "good streamer" category for now.

I think the only thing I could moan about is he's overdone to Nords stuff, but then I watch every one he puts out so :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Empty Box was cool until he went full pedant and Malone has always seemed smug to me--doubly so when he put his partner in YouTube thumbnails for clicks.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Are Jimjam is cool/good.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Minto Took posted:

Are Jimjam is cool/good.

Jimmy is what pushed me from occasionally playing pcars on a g27 to being a full on sim racing addict with an ever growing pile of fanatec hardware and iRacing content

He's done so much for the sim racing community, mental health, and the world in general, all from a shed in the back of his mum's garden. Jamjar Breadspread is good people.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've just picked up Dirt Rally 2.0 which was on sale the other day. I played 1 when it came out on my DFGT but very casually. Is there anything I should look out for, or essential settings to change when setting up my wheel with it? Just want to make sure I'm not doing something dumb. Dirt and ETS are pretty much the only games I've played with the wheel so any advice would be very cool! Also if people think it's good to go just with a quick calibration then I'd be happy with that too.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Might be an unpopular oppinion, but I think faster steering/limiting rotation is beneficial in Dirt Rally. More than 540 degrees is going to have you sawing at the wheel a lot. I run 200 degrees, but thats pretty extreme. I think most of the top guys are in the 270-360 range.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Humbug posted:

Might be an unpopular oppinion, but I think faster steering/limiting rotation is beneficial in Dirt Rally. More than 540 degrees is going to have you sawing at the wheel a lot. I run 200 degrees, but thats pretty extreme. I think most of the top guys are in the 270-360 range.

I like a smaller rotation in Dirt, too. Makes it easier to get around/die horribly in the Stratos.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think most people run less rotation in rally games, 450 to 540 seems to be the sweet spot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I run 270 because that’s about the limit of turning without taking my hands off the wheel.

That’s key when you only have paddle shifters.

If you have an actual shifter it’s less important.

Who’s out there running sims with a suicide knob? Has to be someone

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who’s out there running sims with a suicide knob? Has to be someone

My dad in farming sim with a g27.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I decided to get a refund for AMS2 after about an hour of driving. It's probably perfectly fine, but I've gotten so used to the physics/FFB of Assetto Corsa that anything else just feels weird*. And I decided that AMS2 doesn't offer me anything that AC doesn't already do well enough. If I was really into endurance racing with variable weather, then I'd probably have kept it.

e: * It's not the first time I've experienced this. Years ago I found that anything that wasn't Grand Prix Legends was practically unplayable. I found it very hard to get on with AC at first, for that very reason. It was only when I got VR that it won me over.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 3, 2020

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Steen71 posted:

I decided to get a refund for AMS2 after about an hour of driving. It's probably perfectly fine, but I've gotten so used to the physics/FFB of Assetto Corsa that anything else just feels weird*. And I decided that AMS2 doesn't offer me anything that AC doesn't already do well enough. If I was really into endurance racing with variable weather, then I'd probably have kept it.

e: * It's not the first time I've experienced this. Years ago I found that anything that wasn't Grand Prix Legends was practically unplayable. I found it very hard to get on with AC at first, for that very reason. It was only when I got VR that it won me over.

This was me with Project cars 2 after playing assetto corsa... everything felt off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have been learning how to build tracks for Assetto Corsa and my first major attempt is the 1990-1991 streets of Denver temporary street circuit and I’m really happy hotlapping it in an IndyCar (the VRC Formula1 NA 1999 is really good) but I recorded my own AI line for it and when I race against computer opponents they all crash into each other at turn one, every single one, completely plugging the corner (it’s a really narrow street circuit)

It’s like the AI drivers are completely ignoring the walls and are just trying to cut the corners by going through the walls. I tried it with NA miatas and Toyota 86s too and they still just couldn’t drive the track. I don’t know what to do to make the AI know they can’t go through walls. Anyone here done any AC track modding know what I’m missing?

Here's the track if anyone wants to take a look. It's not pretty. textures are pretty low-res and I've still got a little bit of work to do on smoothing out the track. All the buildings are either from a sketchup model of downtown denver or prefabs. Elevation data is from google maps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sYqw8UAmWeWOyCsVSaiZr_PiUoEEcLvd

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 4, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Go to Racedepartment, the modders there will probably be happy to help you out or maybe you even get someone to do the AI lines for you :)

Aside from the overall low texture quality (WIP, I get it) I think the road surface needs some physical texture, i.e. give me a bump here and there to create distinct markers aound the track. Also maybe break up the endless barriers, have a sideroad come in and the barriers there be a way back so I can eke out a feet or two of track on a corner exit, that's always fun (for me).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GhostDog posted:

Go to Racedepartment, the modders there will probably be happy to help you out or maybe you even get someone to do the AI lines for you :)

Aside from the overall low texture quality (WIP, I get it) I think the road surface needs some physical texture, i.e. give me a bump here and there to create distinct markers aound the track. Also maybe break up the endless barriers, have a sideroad come in and the barriers there be a way back so I can eke out a feet or two of track on a corner exit, that's always fun (for me).

I actually figured it out last night. I found a tool that allows you to draw track limits with a car by driving the track just like you do the AI line. I put them about two feet inside the barriers and it fixed the AI.

The 1991 race there is actually on YouTube and they had a turn one lap one incident pretty similar to what I was experiencing

As for the barriers, that’s actually how the real track was. I’ll be putting ad boards on them to make them a bit more visually appealing eventually.

You’re right about the roads being too smooth. I see the cars in the race bumping around a lot more than mine do in game.

I wish Assetto Corsa has rolling starts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this and thought it was a very interesting court decision that could potentially change the face of racing sim development https://www.gtplanet.net/call-of-duty-legal-victory-20200403/

the tl;dr of this is that the car manufacturer AM General sued Activision for not asking permission to have their military vehicles in Call of Duty series. Activision argued in court that what they did was artistic expression with the sole purpose of creating a realistic simulation of warfare. The U.S. court accepted this argument and that it fell under Activisions 1st amendment rights. So what this ruling essentially establishes in my opinion, is that game developers of any kind, do not necessarily need to ask permission and pay very costly fees for licensing. As much as I don't like Activision, I see this as a win for game development.

The one catch to this is that the use of a car manufacturers logos may not hold up. But I think the courts explanation on their ruling possibly covers this? In that since Activision is not in the business of physically selling cars, its a moot point and they are okay to do this. They don't have the AM General logo in their games though for what that is worth.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 8, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The key part is that Call of Duty never explicitly used copyrighted logos, just the obvious shape of the car in a way that made it very obvious what it was. So basically they were doing the same thing sim racing devs have been doing for years and years, the military equivalent of stuff like the Boxer Cup car in Automobilista 1 which is not at all a Porsche 911 Cup car except in every way. Ultimately having the logo is a core part of the car to a lot of people, and to sim racing devs especially so is having that relationship and access to stuff like telemetry data and CAD models which you don't need if you're just using a car shape for what is otherwise set dressing or a functionally generic military transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't see it being possible for racing games to be able to pull the same stunt. Call of Duty wants to create a realistic looking war game, and that involves doing what's already legal for racing games, making a generic vehicle that looks just like what the military uses. Racing sim fans want the actual car with the name and everything. Not to mention that Activision doesn't sell hummer DLC, whereas racing games do sell DLC where you can buy cars. Call of Duty is a grey area where they can argue that having a hummer in their game is something they had to do to make it realistic, and they aren't specifically making money off that brand. But selling an Alfa Romeo 4C Spider in your game is very clearly making money off Alfa's brand.