Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

And now I discovered that I broke the code at work and everyone including my boss jumped in to blame me. I ended up having a chat with my team lead who was understanding but who knows how the actual manager will react. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Right before COVID was a thing, I switched jobs from something that I could probably still have right now if I'd stayed there to something that involved working with kids. Now I'm unemployed and living with my parents, with no prospects for the foreseeable future. I'm selfish enough that I'm hoping the gov't fucks up and lifts quarantine so I can go back to work and watch a tremendous amount of Americans die while I have something to do, because the alternative is staying here, watching my weed run out, kvetching at the drifting joystick on the Switch I got specifically to entertain me during quarantine, and listening to my father talk about how excited he is to vote for Joe Biden. The thought of this becoming the new normal is enough to drive me to full on despair, and this is me on medication, I shudder to think of how I'd be doing right now without it. Many people are worse off than I am, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I don't have poo poo to distract myself with, and it was enough of a pain in my rear end in a top hat to find a job already. The few friends I had are all busy alternating between their essential positions that they still have and taking the quarantine seriously by avoiding social calls. All avenues for any shred of hope or speck of light at the end of the tunnel are closed off from me. Are there any kinds of jobs anyone knows about that are still somehow looking for new human bodies? I need something to do beyond just blasting ropes all day, because that's not even fun aside from the ten seconds where it is, and I guarantee I'm a week away from "This is as good as life will ever be for you again" shooting through my head whenever I cum.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For the younger ones I have been through decades of national and global tumult, and that is why I think that things will generally work out. That doesn't mean that things aren't hosed up and that there won't be lasting changes afterward but expecting the collapse of civilization is too dramatic. Like I've said before humanity survived over 300 years of the Black Death recurring. This is awful, but simply does not compare.

I've fought depression pretty much my entire life. I know the lies it tells you. Remember that even though things in the world are shittier than they were before, they are still lies.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

it is selfish as hell for me to say it, but for the first time in my adult life, i was finally in a comfortable place. still living paycheck to paycheck, but bills are paid, debt is manageable. my company was bought out by a start up that is saddled with a lot of debt and is relying on credit for liquidity. im in a field with a lot more people looking for work than positions (nonfiction writer/editor) available. A colleague and acquaintance of mine won a goddamn pulitzer in 2017 and has turned to GoFundMe to keep the lights on because advertising in his small newspaper has just dried up.

I know I'm in the same boat as nearly every working american, but i was about a year away from possibly buying a house. silver lining is if i keep my job, maybe i can get a house still? oh well, cant control what i cant control, so thanks for letting me vent about some poo poo everyone is experiencing, almost assuredly in more stressful circumstances than me because while I dont have any savings, i have a spouse that will have a job so long as she's alive and licensed, so we'll always have income so long as she can work.

she is an ER nurse and I'm working from home now, so I'm doing my best to be as good of support structure as I can. I've been staying up until she gets home (1 am) so she can have a hot meal and say hi before I need to go to sleep. she is under a great deal of stress as her hospital system has around 150 employees that have tested positive for coronavirus. she also deals with mental health issues, so I'm trying like hell to not make my current brain worries a stressor for her too. thanks for reading if you did, and thanks for letting me vent. i feel better for having gotten the worries out of my head and into a post

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
if it makes you feel better it's possible that houses are going to get cheaper after this. Airbnb landlords are taking a huge bath on all of this and most of them exist on credit alone. dumbshits with ten mortgages who thought the train was gonna go forever are probably going to be selling their properties, or getting foreclosed on. depends on your market of course. either way you love to see it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Every cheap property is going to get snapped up by corporations who will keep them empty for a thousand years if that's what it takes to get the price they want.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gently caress my work wants me to come in again on Monday to be "fair" to my 22 year old healthy co-worker who didn't do poo poo when she was working from home. I have asthma and can barely recover from colds, didn't think working from home was for one week. What's the point of that? I also don't qualify for any sort of government health care or financial assistance, while she does.

Love 2 die for my employer

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Found out today one of former friends is a pedophile incestual rapist who raped his sister on a family vacation three years ago and had to go through a bunch of legal poo poo about it and I had no idea about it until today when some mutual friends bothered to tell me.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It feels like I only really matter to my friends when I do something for them that makes them happy. If I ever come to any of them with problems, they just stay silent until I stop talking about it. That hurts a lot, I thought I knew a lot of these people for long enough that we were close, but maybe I misjudged things. I feel like I should just stop doing things for them, it feels like it's taking advantage of me if it's all me giving them what they want but I'm getting nothing out of it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
maybe they dont know what to say

better to stay silent than say the wrong thing

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
They do literally nothing, though. No one wants to even hazard a "sorry to hear it, please feel better"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

maybe they dont know what to say

better to stay silent than say the wrong thing

It's this, more than likely. I know there's been times in this very thread where people have been in bad shape and I've actively chewed off my own hand to avoid accidentally posting something that's going to make it a thousand times worse. Plus I feel really lame typing "I'm sorry I feel for you" over and over again like a robot :(

I do tho

just so you guys know

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hi goons, I'm just going to dump my brain about medication because this seems like the best place for it.

I've been on sertraline for around 4 years, and propranolol for my anxiety for about a year. These medications made me feel better when I first started taking them, and have brought me back to a point where I'm ok mood wise at home, but cannot cope in the outside world beyond the occasional late night trip to 24hr supermarket. I'm not working, and I'm getting the scraps from the table that we call disability benefit here in the UK.

I had to change GP at the end of last year, and other than seeing one of the nurses for a new patient induction thing I haven't been to see a doctor at the new place yet. At the same time I started to suspect that my meds aren't doing much of anything for me any more. I've been slowly sliding back into the zero motivation part of depression for a while now, but minimised it because there was no massive despair like when I first sought help. I just don't feel much of anything any more. So a couple of months back i decided I was going to taper the sertraline to see if it made any difference. I've gone from 200mg a day to 50mg, and I've barely noticed a difference. Is this something that happens with SSRIs, they just stop working after a while?

I know I need to be in therapy as well, and I've been on a waiting list for over a year. My first appointment was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but that got postponed indefinitely because of corona, so I've gone from a GP that I had a decent relationship with and therapy on the horizon to no GP and no therapy and meds that don't do anything. During a global pandemic with no end in sight.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tarnop posted:

Hi goons, I'm just going to dump my brain about medication because this seems like the best place for it.

I've been on sertraline for around 4 years, and propranolol for my anxiety for about a year. These medications made me feel better when I first started taking them, and have brought me back to a point where I'm ok mood wise at home, but cannot cope in the outside world beyond the occasional late night trip to 24hr supermarket. I'm not working, and I'm getting the scraps from the table that we call disability benefit here in the UK.

I had to change GP at the end of last year, and other than seeing one of the nurses for a new patient induction thing I haven't been to see a doctor at the new place yet. At the same time I started to suspect that my meds aren't doing much of anything for me any more. I've been slowly sliding back into the zero motivation part of depression for a while now, but minimised it because there was no massive despair like when I first sought help. I just don't feel much of anything any more. So a couple of months back i decided I was going to taper the sertraline to see if it made any difference. I've gone from 200mg a day to 50mg, and I've barely noticed a difference. Is this something that happens with SSRIs, they just stop working after a while?

I know I need to be in therapy as well, and I've been on a waiting list for over a year. My first appointment was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but that got postponed indefinitely because of corona, so I've gone from a GP that I had a decent relationship with and therapy on the horizon to no GP and no therapy and meds that don't do anything. During a global pandemic with no end in sight.

I can't speak to the propranolol, but I had a similar experience with sertraline. Worked well for a few years, but gradually slid back into the "facing the world is for other people" place. Brains are weird, though, so everyone reacts a bit differently to brain drugs.

I'm taking two pills now and things have been better, but a bit too late since I got fired anyways.

I'm in a weird spot cause I blew up my 401k when I lost my job last year, which left me with a decent amount of money to survive on. Really frustrating not finding a decent job since then, but even in this mess I'm financially sound due to cutting expenses like crazy. I grew up in a poor and unstable environment, though, so I have what is apparently called a high adversity quotient (I hate this phrase). I'm still worried about everything and relying on the nihilistic "Everything will be fine because humanity is a tiny mote on a spec of dust in a truly huge universe" approach to keep me from freaking out. There's also some weird schadenfreude in being right even when it's about horrible circumstances or individuals being huge pieces of poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tarnop posted:

Gonna preface this as usual: I am not a doctor and just an internet jerk, the below is my experience and literally nothing else not even a recommendation

That being said I had a problem with my SSRIs eventually making GBS threads out on me as well. Mine was a different cause probably---I have bipolar, and until rexaulti, I couldn't find an atypical that worked without trying to kill me---but it's known to happen across the board. I would ask your doctor about deplin/methylfolate. It's technically an otc supplement but deplin is formulated differently and your doctor will probably want to know regardless. Also you may need a different ssri or maybe even an snri?? I don't know??? Talk to your doctor regardless because something isn't working and it definitely needs to change

Also if you haven't already let them know you've tritated down. For example, I actually have my pdoc's blessing to tinker as necessary (within reason) SO LONG AS I keep her in the loop. Even if they didn't approve it before hand they still need to know. If they scold you like a child for taking matters into your own hands then gently caress them but I'm pretty sure they won't.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks for the replies. It feels good to get it all out there, I haven't told anyone else about reducing my meds

I'll call about an appointment with my GP and talk about switching to something new. Just thinking about it has reminded me that I kept a spreadsheet of dates and dosages when I was stepping it down, which I'm sure the doctor won't care about either way but will at least reassure me that I actually did do it responsibly.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tarnop posted:

Thanks for the replies. It feels good to get it all out there, I haven't told anyone else about reducing my meds

I'll call about an appointment with my GP and talk about switching to something new. Just thinking about it has reminded me that I kept a spreadsheet of dates and dosages when I was stepping it down, which I'm sure the doctor won't care about either way but will at least reassure me that I actually did do it responsibly.

That's awesome. It sounds like you're on top of things. Your doctor will appreciate it :)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

Found out today one of former friends is a pedophile incestual rapist who raped his sister on a family vacation three years ago and had to go through a bunch of legal poo poo about it and I had no idea about it until today when some mutual friends bothered to tell me.

That really sucks and I'm sorry you're going through that. Having a person in your life revealed to be that kind of person is a really stressful experience. For me it was an extended family member, and over the years my opinion and feelings on the whole situation have evolved. When I first found out I just thought, "Well gently caress that person. They're out of my life forever and I don't want to ever think about them or hear about them ever again." But over the years I've realized that it's not the simple to move on, and feelings evolve as time passes. But it's okay to be angry and confused and sad and....just everything.

Edit: Not to mention how relationships change with those associated with that person.

Sudden Loud Noise has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Apr 3, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Chokes McGee posted:

That's awesome. It sounds like you're on top of things. Your doctor will appreciate it :)

Yeah I'm pretty good at sounding like I'm on top of things. It's a big part of the problem.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

That really sucks and I'm sorry you're going through that. Having a person in your life revealed to be that kind of person is a really stressful experience. For me it was an extended family member, and over the years my opinion and feelings on the whole situation have evolved. When I first found out I just thought, "Well gently caress that person. They're out of my life forever and I don't want to ever think about them or hear about them ever again." But over the years I've realized that it's not the simple to move on, and feelings evolve as time passes. But it's okay to be angry and confused and sad and....just everything.

Edit: Not to mention how relationships change with those associated with that person.

I mean there's still a person under all those horrible crimes. I wouldn't be inclined to continue associating with them, but it doesn't invalidate any good memories.

I dunno how comparable it is, but I even have some fun memories about my horribly abusive parents. I'm not at a place of forgiveness and don't know if I ever will be, but you can keep the happy stuff. It's ok imo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tarnop posted:

Yeah I'm pretty good at sounding like I'm on top of things. It's a big part of the problem.

Fake it until you make it :D

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

That phrase has always made me angry.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

got any sevens posted:

ive been wondering why i'm not panicking about covid like most people

maybe cuz i gave up hope on life/society decades ago? but i'm not even excited that capitalism is having all these problems dealing with covid, because im still pretty sure nothing will meaningfully change, most people wanna get past this then back to how things were

at least i havent been suicidal since i came out as trans, but i still dont have much actual passion for stuff, unless i briefly focus my ADD on it

yes covid scares me, i'm terrified of dying slowly in pain on a hospital bed, but thats been a fear for decades, i'm always scared and worrying about everything that might go wrong, something i inherited from my mom

i dunno

also i'm feelin lonely this week, but RIP at dating for a while

at least i have experience being in jail, at least my food's good now

I'm in the same boat. Personally, being in and out of hospitals for my childhood has blunted my fear of death, and the fact that I really don't have anything adds to that. No job, no lover, living with my parents, nothing to really call my own, I rarely leave the house -- I don't care anymore. I don't want to die, but I have little to lose. I think things will meaningfully change because we're looking at 30% unemployment in addition to the COVID pandemic, but it remains to be seen which way it will go.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

That phrase has always made me angry.

My preference is the secret 11th commandment, "Get it right."

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
How is a person supposed to function when how they feel on meds is how they used to feel off meds? I can't even compartmentalize this poo poo anymore. My coping methods are all taken from me, all I can do is sit around and think of how the worst possible outcomes will arise out of this whole situation, all the old people I need alive dying and the gov't being replaced with more out and out fascists, and I can't even smoke a bowl because that poo poo ran out. I need to go lick doorknobs and pray it kills me before I have to watch RBG die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alvarez IV posted:

How is a person supposed to function when how they feel on meds is how they used to feel off meds? I can't even compartmentalize this poo poo anymore. My coping methods are all taken from me, all I can do is sit around and think of how the worst possible outcomes will arise out of this whole situation, all the old people I need alive dying and the gov't being replaced with more out and out fascists, and I can't even smoke a bowl because that poo poo ran out. I need to go lick doorknobs and pray it kills me before I have to watch RBG die.

Can you work on other coping techniques? Meditate? Take up an indoors hobby? Do you have a safe space around you to at least get out for a walk?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Arivia posted:

Can you work on other coping techniques? Meditate? Take up an indoors hobby? Do you have a safe space around you to at least get out for a walk?

I've been throwing myself into my indoors hobbies to the point where they are losing their luster. I have also been going for walks in nature, safely. Meditation is like Xanax in that both does the opposite of what it's supposed to do on me.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Alvarez IV posted:

Meditation is like Xanax in that both does the opposite of what it's supposed to do on me.

Can you elaborate?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thehandtruck posted:

Can you elaborate?

Sure. Xanax is a benzo, which usually calms a person down when they take it, but when I took it years ago (as prescribed by a doctor), it made my anxiety spike, which happens to some people. Meditation is meant to clear the mind, to allow a person to process and dissociate from negative thoughts in a healthy fashion. When I do it, I last about fifteen seconds and then my brain has fixated on the thing I was trying to avoid, and now I'm catastrophizing and unable to let go of whatever poo poo has come into my head (except in the sense of "Someday we'll all be dead and none of this will matter," which is the bad kind of nihilism and not the funkind). The most effective coping methods in my life have typically involved distraction and avoidance of confrontation, because I'm a weak and sheltered little bitch who will never be allowed to hit rock bottom and always have bullshit teenager problems even as I near thirty.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
does anyone else feel like the quarantine has dragged the world down to your level and that you feel weirdly powerful and strong now because everyone else is also depressed?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Impermanent posted:

does anyone else feel like the quarantine has dragged the world down to your level and that you feel weirdly powerful and strong now because everyone else is also depressed?

Nah I feel like it dragged me back to a year ago when I was broke and depressed. :( Had just climbed out of my hole after 39 years.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Impermanent posted:

maybe not weirdly powerful or strong, that's a bit of a stretch, but absolutely as someone who'd been a shut in working from home voluntarily for a good long while, I had been training for this for a while, so to speak.

It's okay to take some personal relief from it certainly, but I can't imagine it's a line of discussion that's going to do much to endear you to anybody

Zvahl has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Apr 4, 2020

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

My medication switch isn't going well. I was improving on the new medicine but once I got to the end of the month of samples, my insurance said they wouldn't cover a prescription for it unless I tried and failed two generic antidepressants. Since my insurance coverage ended at the end of the month when I turned 26, i have no insurance now. So we tried the generic of Lexapro. Now I have intense suicidal ideation and terribly dark moods. I told my psychiatrist I was concerned I would hurt myself and I'm being taken off of it. I got rejected by Medicaid and have to try again. The moods are still terrible and I feel very alone. My OCD is worse than ever. I am in touch with my psychiatrist and therapist. But isolation is not good for me at all. Please do not probate me for this post. I am not in any danger and I am working with my doctor. I just feel terrible.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I worked so hard over the past year and I feel like all that progress is gone.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I worked so hard over the past year and I feel like all that progress is gone.

:sympathy: at least you're trying. and you know enough about yourself to realize when its bad meds and not you :glomp:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

got any sevens posted:

:sympathy: at least you're trying. and you know enough about yourself to realize when its bad meds and not you :glomp:

Thank you, you're right. I was able to immediately recognize it as from the medicine, which is good and helped me not spiral further. Thanks :glomp:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

My medication switch isn't going well. I was improving on the new medicine but once I got to the end of the month of samples, my insurance said they wouldn't cover a prescription for it unless I tried and failed two generic antidepressants. Since my insurance coverage ended at the end of the month when I turned 26, i have no insurance now. So we tried the generic of Lexapro. Now I have intense suicidal ideation and terribly dark moods. I told my psychiatrist I was concerned I would hurt myself and I'm being taken off of it. I got rejected by Medicaid and have to try again. The moods are still terrible and I feel very alone. My OCD is worse than ever. I am in touch with my psychiatrist and therapist. But isolation is not good for me at all. Please do not probate me for this post. I am not in any danger and I am working with my doctor. I just feel terrible.

Let me guess: Rexaulti. Unless that's something they're doing across the board for all brand name antidepressants now, which is garbage.

Just hang in there and keep talking, that's all I ask.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Chokes McGee posted:

Let me guess: Rexaulti. Unless that's something they're doing across the board for all brand name antidepressants now, which is garbage.

Just hang in there and keep talking, that's all I ask.

Trintellix, actually, sorry to disappoint. Apparently Medicaid will cover it where my private insurance didn't so I just need to keep trying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Impermanent posted:

Yeah, although "resilient" might be a better word than "powerful."

It turns out that coping with depression is actually a learned skill and I'm a lot better at it than some of my nominally more functional friends. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah resilient is probably the right word